• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

dmr87

3Hlxgoc.jpg

:D

Looks like you have a minor problem there.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone been playing with the alternative controls? I beat the GC version back in the day but I kind of want to play the game with the new push-to-move controls and I'm wondering if it breaks the game at all.

How is the PC port? Most Capcom games on PC are pretty good so I am not too worried.

I preordered on PS4 to be able to play on my TV and have people over to do speed runs but will eventually buy on PC when a sale comes around. Does the 60fps option interfere with some of the backgrounds?

Has anyone been playing with the alternative controls? I beat the GC version back in the day but I kind of want to play the game with the new push-to-move controls and I'm wondering if it breaks the game at all.

It makes some things laughably easier than they are supposed to be you can just run around in circles at will around lots of enemies. It is fun but I am playing with tank controls first time through then going to new control system to mess around afterwards.

Grief.exe

Dodge them until you can get the shotgun, then aim up and fire with it.

Does that same strategy work for putting down the crimson heads?

How is the PC port? Most Capcom games on PC are pretty good so I am not too worried.

I preordered on PS4 to be able to play on my TV and have people over to do speed runs but will eventually buy on PC when a sale comes around. Does the 60fps option interfere with some of the backgrounds?

PC port is solid so far. I haven't noticed any inconsistencies with the frame rate yet.

Meia

Well, something I've immediately noticed is I can't do my usual BS tactic of "knock zombie down, let him gnaw on my leg for one hit so I can decapitate it" thing anymore. Haven't had a zombie once grab my leg...

My friend bought the PS4 version and I played it for a bit. Backgrounds looks like fucking garbage. I don`t how anyone can consider it a good job by Capcom. Remaster my ass.

StewboaT_

So I chose the middle difficulty thinking it was normal. Would it be recommended to restart on the proper difficulty for a more genuine experience? I'm only a few hours in. Also, the new controls feel great until you transition from scene to scene with the analog stick facing the wrong direction. Tank controls it is!

I added another line, hopefully that clears up any ambiguity.

First you confuse me, then you make me go back a page to look at your old post?

You're a monster.

Anyway, where have you heard that? REmaster didn't change anything about Chris's and Jill's differences. But like I said, they did try to make them more even in REmake (In the PS1 version Jill faced fewer enemies than Chris and enemies were weaker too, that's not the case in REmake/REmaster, her grenade launcher isn't nearly as overpowered as it was in the original and she doesn't get that many grenades either. Her lockpick doesn't actually replace the sword key as it did in the PS1 original, etc.) that her downsides (Less health and not as good a shot.) might make things more troublesome for some people. I still maintain she's the easier character in REmake/REmaster.

So I chose the middle difficulty thinking it was normal. Would it be recommended to restart on the proper difficulty for a more genuine experience? I'm only a few hours in. Also, the new controls feel great until you transition from scene to scene with the analog stick facing the wrong direction. Tank controls it is!

I'd restart. The main issue with Easy is the low amount of enemies you face, and it's not like you're facing hordes of them in the harder difficulties either. Easy just feels so empty.

Arrrrgg, why can't I buy this on the PS store yet? Do I really have to wait for the store to update?

I preordered it around 630pm PST last night and it preloaded and unlocked for me at 9pm. I wonder why no one else can just purchase it right now. Was there a pre-order special version that I am not aware of?

My friend bought the PS4 version and I played it for a bit. Backgrounds looks like fucking garbage. I don`t how anyone can consider it a good job by Capcom. Remaster my ass.

Some do (up near Yawn looks awful, the painting outside the gallery is fucking hilarious), but they've done a lot of touching up and improving and you can see it in many of the backgrounds. I mean, if that's not remastering what is? They only had the original background images to work with. I think they've done a great job, keeping that in mind.

You're a monster.

Anyway, where have you heard that? REmaster didn't change anything about Chris's and Jill's differences. But like I said, they did try to make them more even in REmake (In the PS1 version Jill faced fewer enemies than Chris and enemies were weaker too, that's not the case in REmake/REmaster, her grenade launcher isn't nearly as overpowered as it was in the original and she doesn't get that many grenades either. Her lockpick doesn't actually replace the sword key as it did in the PS1 original, etc.) that her downsides (Less health and not as good a shot.) might make things more troublesome for some people. I still maintain she's the easier character in REmake/REmaster.
Just having those two extra inventory slots make dealing with dead zombies much easier. As does getting the shotgun earlier.

strafer

But yeah, I really dig this.

I only wish I could have experienced it back in the day.

Now Im too spoiled with RE4 and RE5 and the different voice actors and stuff.

fernoca

I preordered it around 630pm PST last night and it preloaded and unlocked for me at 9pm. I wonder why no one else can just purchase it right now. Was there a pre-order special version that I am not aware of?
Preorders/Preload always unlock early. Actual purchases have to wait until whenever the store is updated.

Umm is anybody noticing some of the background music is pitched higher than originally? The basement music for example. Now I'm going through the OST included with the PC version and noticed some other tracks are pitched up there too O__O

MormaPope

Banned
Dat save room theme
1xUHnHE.jpg

Excellent game, plays like RE1 but every single thing is better. Restarted the game after realizing which items should be picked up and when, this time around I've only gotten attacked by one doggie.

In essence
1xUHnHE.jpg

Meia

Middle is EASY? :\

Well, that explains quite a few things then. Bah.

Preorders/Preload always unlock early. Actual purchases have to wait until whenever the store is updated.

I didn't know that I usually never buy games digitally on PSN. That seems kind of dumb that they do that.

Some look pretty bad and other actually look pretty decent. With what they had to work with and how much it costs I am honestly surprised they were able to do as much as they did. Capcom of old would have just ported it over and released it as is with minimal effort put in so I am glad they did what they could and even completely redid some rooms.

When you realize Remastered is the first "real" RE for a lot of people, then you realize you are old too :D

Yeah it sure does make one feel like they are getting ancient. I remember getting the original big box PSX version growing up. I loved that cover for some reason. I just find it amazing that people are willing to dive into this game this many years later. Hopefully capcom notices that people like this style of RE and will make more like it in the furture.

is there a way to hotequip the knife? i don't remember. lol I'm stuck so early on.. embarrassing. what do i do with the shield emblem? can't find the door. loving this. luckily all the tough stuff was already remade for the gamecube.

deeptech

Played about 15 minutes on PC. Runs absolutely flawlessly.
This game is just so damn good.
SO
DAMN
GOOD

Same here , PC port is great. The new alternate controls are weird as shit , i love default so much better. Also FXAA seems kinda weak , even on highest setting.

Wondering how are first time players liking the game , especially how they feel about game difficulty

Vizzeh

Banned

You're a monster.

I'd restart. The main issue with Easy is the low amount of enemies you face, and it's not like you're facing hordes of them in the harder difficulties either. Easy just feels so empty.

haha, I also edited my last post (deleted now) and added some of the below, talk about chasing tails :p

(after a quick google search) This is apparently in the remaster.
Jill has less health than Chris
Jill has less critical shots chances than Chris
Jill has a picklock and can unlocked doors from the start, while Chris has to find specific keys for that.
Jill starts with 6 places in her inventory, which makes a HUGE difference
Jill tends to avoid fighting and prefer clever ways to deal with problems (less bosses more riddles)

Chris has more health
Chris is a sharp shooter, he deals critical shots more often than Jill ( Critical shot : 1 gun bullet = oneshot with head explosion, it is a random effect ).
Chris starts with only 4 places in his inventory.
Chris often choose confrontation (more bosses less riddles).

As far as I know it was the otherway around in the original. Chris was more difficult, less inventory etc. (Although as I said in my first post on this topic, I wasn't sure so asked the question)
---------
Although the easy/hard mode seems to be another layer to the above. Any idea what the default difficulty equivalent would need to be selected to obtain the original playthrough difficulty in the western version?

I certainly don't intend to play on easy, I really don't like the idea of a sparsely populated mansion lol. Definately going to play as Jill for Nostalgia reasons, first-time around, actually like her as the main protagonist more than Chris.

Audioboxer

I don't find the modern controls hard to use, but they definitely make the game far far far easier than the tank controls. Does break the immersion a little (if you've played early RE games).

is it weird that I prefer the look of this game over Evil Within? have I lost it?

I think I do too. I liked some of the art in TEW, but everything in this game is just so cohesive. The setting and characters all mesh really nicely together, artwise.

Alucrid

Banned
it's great! I'm using the Type B control scheme and it works flawlessly, obviously looks gorgeous on the vita screen. only problem I had was some audio-desync after a couple of hours of playing in one session, reseting the connection fixed that.
Awesome, thanks, good to know.

Sectus

Umm is anybody noticing some of the background music is pitched higher than originally? The basement music for example. Now I'm going through the OST included with the PC version and noticed some other tracks are pitched up there too O__O

I'm really curious to see an explanation for this, especially the soundtrack being modified the same way. There's no chance they randomly decided "Okay, these 10 tracks sounds better at a higher speed and pitch." But it also seems absurd they would "fix" a glitch by pretending it was intentional.

So well, I dunno.

This game is just so fucking fun and atmospheric. I missed the Metroid-like structure of these. I sorely wish they would find a way to merge the admittedly fun mechanics of the newer games with this atmosphere and structure.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I beat Jill's campaign on Normal Difficulty just a small bit ago.

Brief impressions, will type up more in depth later, the ports good, this is the best version of REmake, and worth getting if you're either never played it or played it but want an HD version for your platform of choice. That's not to say it doesn't have its niggles, the biggest one being its visual consistency. Some areas look amazing, better than the original game, most look about the same, some look pretty meh, but the game manages to have the amazing atmosphere you expect and I say the improvements and small additions are worth the small visual niggles.

16:9 feels really weird for the first 10-15 minutes, but then you don't even notice it from that point, and honestly it's well handled. PC version at 60 fps adds extra fluidity to movement and the 16:9 mode, which is nice. Added detail to the models is actually appreciated. There's a number of details I never noticed in the original backgrounds/enemies that I notice now in the Remaster.

There's a few small differences that won't be noticeable if you haven't played the original game. Examples being things like how now the spiders don't make a little tiny higher-pitched noise when breaking out of a mama spiders belly (but I think I actually prefer this change as it seems less cartoony), or how the water effects are completely different (in the bathtubs you can sinks, when you spray Plant 42 with Plant Killer, but most notable is in Aqua Ring obviously. The water is super blue there, and now in the flooded section the water isn't all that murky so you can see the giant shark swimming under the water). However, not bad changes, just noticeable things if you know the original game. Purist will hate it, but in some ways I liked some of the changes, others felt about the same on. Most of it is the same game you know and love, most of the changes are minor, I say this is a confident port.

Also, friend report, on PC if you can't run 60fps the game will run in slow-motion like RE4 does, due to how the game is programmed.

Some Steam Screenshots I took:

Audioboxer

Damn is it just me forgetting or is it easier to die in this than the original RE? Zombies take down Jill quicker than I remember. Never played the REMake so I only have memories of the original RE.

HeelPower

I love the Lost in Nightmare outfits they added.I didn't even know the game had these new outfits till I got this.

Using it with Jill and will definitely use it for Chris as well(his best appearance is this uniform)

Anung

Un Rama
My biggest difficulty adjusting to the new version is getting used to not using a Gamecube pad. So weird playing it on something else.

Top Bottom