• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Well like I did for the game when it first released, I didn't stop playing till I beat it. Clocked in at about 4:27. Any tips for beating this in under 3 hrs? Thought I was going fast, but looking at the leader boards, and players are beating this in 1:30 already. :/

About to begin as well...

ykZibLX.jpg

Is this a screenshot from Silent Hill: The Room 2?

I like it. :D

Sorry if it's been answered but I searched and couldn't see it. Does the game support 1440p on PC? I booted it up and max is 1920x1080 for 16:9.

HeelPower

Just run past the dogs. They'll rarely hit you.
There's only one dog in the game that you have to kill.

The dogs owned me many times.

I found it difficult to run past them without taking damage and fighting them is almost impossible without a shotgun.

I think they're the toughest dogs in the series.

How the heck do people already have the platinum trophy?

Trophies ? This supports trophies ?

I didn't get a single trophy and I got to the courtyard.

I'm really curious to see an explanation for this, especially the soundtrack being modified the same way. There's no chance they randomly decided "Okay, these 10 tracks sounds better at a higher speed and pitch." But it also seems absurd they would "fix" a glitch by pretending it was intentional.

So well, I dunno.

Maybe it was some weird compression technique by recording the song faster then playing it slower in game. Except nobody caught on to play the song slower lol

Also did the add the USS Enterprise background hum to the main hall? Don't remember that being in the GC version.

I found it difficult to run past them without taking damage and fighting them is almost impossible without a shotgun.

Yeah throughout the RE series dogs have been total scrubs. Then REmake, and they don't even react to your handgun...

Audioboxer

Trophies ? This supports trophies ?

I didn't get a single trophy and I got to the courtyard.

If you've died you should have a trophy :p

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The trophy list is PS3/PS4 shared. PS3 version has been out for a while no?

Imports, developers, and journalist. There are journalists tweeting about playing Majora's Mask. They have plenty of time to do everything before the masses do. My trophy list for FFXIII dates back a couple months before the NA version got released. My old 80 GB PS3 had White Knight Chronicles, KENZAN!, and Demon's Souls on it.

haha, I also edited my last post (deleted now) and added some of the below, talk about chasing tails :p

(after a quick google search) This is apparently in the remaster.

As far as I know it was the otherway around in the original. Chris was more difficult, less inventory etc. (Although as I said in my first post on this topic, I wasn't sure so asked the question)
---------
Although the easy/hard mode seems to be another layer to the above. Any idea what the default difficulty equivalent would need to be selected to obtain the original playthrough difficulty in the western version?

I certainly don't intend to play on easy, I really don't like the idea of a sparsely populated mansion lol. Definately going to play as Jill for Nostalgia reasons, first-time around, actually like her as the main protagonist more than Chris.

Jill has 8 slots and Chris has 6. Jill was considered "Easy" mode and Chris was "Hard" at least in the first release of them game.

The trophy list is PS3/PS4 shared. PS3 version has been out for a while no?

PS3 version came out in Japan at the end of November.

rapid32.5

started on normal difficulty and it feels like hard compared to other classic RE games or am I rusty after 12 years ?
I have no problems with controls, using type B scheme feels pretty good.

Semajer

Just started this up. It looks much better than I was expecting, but yuck at the button mapping. Is there really no option to play it with the same setup that RE4UHD had?

Are there any mods yet to custom map the controls, or better yet, use a Gamecube controller? Has Sectus created/released his door skip mod yet?

The Steam version will not allow you to mod the executable... And it's playing super sluggish so I don't think it's reading my 4GB of ram, it's defaulting at 2... Le dissappoint. RE4 was moddable, what the fuck gives?

Edit: Turned off VSYNC and everythings back to dreamy, don't know what the deal is but that solved it for me in terms of FPS.

Cudder

I really wish the game would mark what lock a door has on the map. There's no way I'm remembering where the Sword, shield, helmet, etc doors are by myself. I guess whenever I get a new key I'll have to backtrack through every hallway I've come across and hope to unlock the doors?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
started on normal difficulty and it feels like hard compared to other classic RE games or am I rusty after 12 years ?

Game concepts, difficulties, and the like have changed drastically over the years. Include major opinions, current events, and maturity levels to the mix. It's going to feel different comparing it to what you remember. I recognize the layout, but pacing and performing certain tasks are almost refreshing. I think the brain can only remember so much, so it's best to keep the experience fresh in your mind. That way you can enjoy it more.

If I constantly told myself where to go then I might miss something important or something I never saw before. Difficulty is the same way. I plan my tactics out better the first time I play through a game. If I go back I'm assuming I memorized a shortcut or an easier way to do something.

Grief.exe

I really wish the game would mark what lock a door has on the map. There's no way I'm remembering where the Sword, shield, helmet, etc doors are by myself. I guess whenever I get a new key I'll have to backtrack through every hallway I've come across and hope to unlock the doors?

When I first started I was looking for a blank map template so I could do this myself.

As I continued to play, I realized it is somewhat irrelevant. The game tells you when you have exhausted a key type and as you go to subsequent key iterations the amount of locked doors will go down considerably.
Also, helps to become acclimated with the mansion, takes a couple times around to remember certain aspects you need to come back to.

For example, unlocking the second floor map took me to my second trip through with a new key to dawn on me. It's pretty clever actually.

They really don't make games like this anymore and it saddens me.

As far as I know it was the otherway around in the original. Chris was more difficult, less inventory etc.

Since I'm a huge nerd with too much free time on his hands I'm gonna make a list.

Original

Chris:

- More health.
- Draws his gun faster but that doesn't really matter in the slightest.
- Meets Rebecca who helps him at various points throughout the game but that just means that you, the player, take control of her and solve further puzzles. Can fully heal Chris at various points in the game
- 6 Inventory slots
- Has to find more keys than Jill
- No special item
- Gets flamethrower for a few minutes, is completly useless
- Lots of strong enemies

Jill:

- Less health
- Draws her gun slower, doesn't really matter
- Meets Barry, helps her at various points throughout the game, potentially solves puzzles and beats a boss without the player's input
- 8 Inventory slots
- Has lockpick, replacing all of the small keys as well as the sword key
- Finds extremely powerful grenade launcher, and there's loads of ammo for it throughout the game, as downside she gets less shotgun and magnum ammo than Chris
- Gets shotgun early
- Fewer enemies and they take less hits than they do in Chris's game
- More ink ribbon pickups

REmake

Chris:

- More health
- Runs faster
- Higher critical headshot chance
- Meets Rebecca, same pro's and con's as in the original.
- Has the lighter permanently in his inventory and it doesn't take up any space
- Has to find more keys than Jill
- His personal defense weapon is a flash grenade, blowing up zombies heads
- 6 inventory slots
- Gets flamethrower, again, just for a short period of time but at least this time around it's actually useful against the spider boss

Jill:

- Less health
- runs slower
- lower chance of critical headshot
- Meets Barry, see the original
- 8 Inventory slots
- gets lockpick, though this time it only replaces the small keys, not the sword key
- Her personal defense weapon is a stun gun, does slightly more damage than the regular dagger, other than that not too useful
- Gets grenade launcher, not as powerful as in the original (Barely stronger than the assault shotgun, not that much ammo for it.)
- Gets regular shotgun and assault shotgun earlier
- Richard can help her against the first boss
- Most of Chris's additional keys turn into additional defense items in Jill's campaign

Both character's face the same amount of enemies.

Although the easy/hard mode seems to be another layer to the above. Any idea what the default difficulty equivalent would need to be selected to obtain the original playthrough difficulty in the western version?

I certainly don't intend to play on easy, I really don't like the idea of a sparsely populated mansion lol. Definately going to play as Jill for Nostalgia reasons, first-time around, actually like her as the main protagonist more than Chris.

Mountain Climbing is Normal, same as it was in the original REmake. I don't think this game ever had any differences in difficulty between the japanese and western versions, unlike the PS1 original.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah throughout the RE series dogs have been total scrubs. Then REmake, and they don't even react to your handgun...

I don't know about that. Yeah the dogs in REmake are pretty hard to deal with (narrow corridors and they don't react to your handgun), but if I recall correctly the dogs in RE3 were total assholes too.

Yeah fighting them with a handgun doesn't work as well as in the original RE1 but just running past them feels easy to me in REmake.

Both on normal with Jill and hard with Chris I just ran straight ahead through every area containing dogs and only got hit maybe a handful times for little damage.

Once I've got bitten to death by the dog with the collar though - on my knife run with Chris on very easy.

I'm having this problem right now.
As soon as I put the item I needed in the storage box after carrying it around for most of my playthrough, I found the door for it, went back and got the item and I can't remember where the door is. :/

Audioboxer

oh I think I know why I got no trophies.

Basically I have to accounts on PS4 and I am playing the game from an account different than the one I bought it with.The console is depriving me of trophies.

PS4 is wack.

That shouldn't happen? Regardless of the account it was bought on you should be getting trophies.

Audioboxer

Yeah fighting them with a handgun doesn't work as well as in the original RE1 but just running past them feels easy to me in REmake.

Both on normal with Jill and hard with Chris I just ran straight ahead through every area containing dogs and only got hit maybe a handful times for little damage.

Once I've got bitten to death by the dog with the collar though - on my knife run with Chris on very easy.

Can you really kill the tyrant with a knife? That's hilarious lol. Never played REmake, was it possible in classic RE to kill with a knife?

Kssio_Aug

How is the game running in the Xbox One? By what Ive read from a eurogamer quotation, the XB1 version is like the "low" on PC. Is it that bad?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
How is the game running in the Xbox One? By what Ive read from a eurogamer quotation, the XB1 version is like the "low" on PC. Is it that bad?

The Eurogamer article says that the XB1 has the "low" shadow settings from the PC, not low graphics settings. Apparently the PS4 has some weird framerate judder every now and then that the XB1 doesn't have. I don't think you'll have an issue playing on XB1.

Own both PS4 and PC versions since i love this game so much. Playing at 60fps with better AA on PC is so amazing i don't think i can look back at the PS4 version. My big problem though is the underground water section with the sharks and some cut scenes look like shit.

Can you really kill the tyrant with a knife?
Yeah
after about 30 hits he went down in the lab. Was on very easy though.
And the Tyrant didn't appear on the heliport because I didn't save Rebecca and Jill in that run.
If he appears you must still destroy him with the rocket launcher I think.

Speaking of the knife, is it worth carrying it around in your inventory?
Nope.
Even in knife runs you only need it for the bosses (and the dog with the collar).

Jebral

Came back to climb onto a roof top and loudly extol the virtues of control type E.

It is life, it is civilization. It is the best way to play!

Kssio_Aug

The Eurogamer article says that the XB1 has the "low" shadow settings from the PC, not low graphics settings. Apparently the PS4 has some weird framerate judder every now and then that the XB1 doesn't have. I don't think you'll have an issue playing on XB1.

Thanks! Im really thinking about buying this game, and I think I'll go with the XB1 version!

Semajer

Can you really kill the tyrant with a knife? That's hilarious lol. Never played REmake, was it possible in classic RE to kill with a knife?

It's a fairly popular challenge in classic games to only use the knife. I struggle with Nemesis using guns, I have no idea how people that can do knife-only manage it. It's impressive though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Been playing for 20 min and I'm starting to ask myself why they don't make games like this anymore, I forgot how good this game is or these types of games, I rather this then another generic shooter any day.

HeelPower

That shouldn't happen? Regardless of the account it was bought on you should be getting trophies.

It has a lock symbol on the content and tells me you should purchase the game to access it.

Is there a way I can fix this ?

Maybe I need to get used to the game more ,but I had huge difficulty dealing with dogs.

They never gave me that much trouble in RE2 and 3.

Top Bottom