• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Phionoxx

Once you finish the game for the first time, and you have the
"Once Again"
option available from the main menu, are you allowed to change the difficulty level from what you had selected for the first playthrough?

Sectus

Maybe it was some weird compression technique by recording the song faster then playing it slower in game. Except nobody caught on to play the song slower lol

Also did the add the USS Enterprise background hum to the main hall? Don't remember that being in the GC version.

Listening to more of the soundtrack, I think I know what happened. Many of the tracks are wrong, and I think Sigh of Relief is the most obvious one, which probably made the guy who wrote the song names to give it the weird "music box mix" suffix.

I'm pretty sure the soundtrack is based on the music files from the game (anyone working at Capcom could have made that easily since all the music files in the game are just ordinary ogg files).

Shozuki

Great version, really enjoying it again.

I do play it almost every year though, so it's not really feeling new per-se. Alternate controls are rubbish, because the camera switches frequently and can mess up your direction.

Playing PC version here, anyway to change the resolution beyond 1080? I know it wouldn't effect the pre-rendered backgrounds, but it'd give a boost to the models/3D areas...

dmr87

Thanks guys for all the advice. I put it on type B and that controls even better. It all came back to me, I got the gun and right now I have all health left and not a single herb used and I acquired the Sword key but I have already used up all my ink ribbons which was a dumb thing to do. I am loving this game though, a timeless classic!

7imb.gif

What is the recommended difficulty for a new player?

Do you have any experience at all with these games or are you completely new? Top difficulty is the normal one but it's of course a bit of a challenge, if you don't have patience and tend to ragequit then probably knock it down at step.

Also, play with Jill. And don't feel like you need to kill everything that moves if you can avoid it.

Just hit a bug on PC version. I opened up the Steam overlay which seems to have crashed and now the game pauses everytime I try to unpause because it thinks the Steam overlay is still up. Anyone ran into this and know how to fix it? Really don't want to revert to my last save.

dmr87

GPlaying PC version here, anyway to change the resolution beyond 1080? I know it wouldn't effect the pre-rendered backgrounds, but it'd give a boost to the models/3D areas...

X:\Users\YOURACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Local\CAPCOM\Resident Evil

Just hit a bug on PC version. I opened up the Steam overlay which seems to have crashed and now the game pauses everytime I try to unpause because it thinks the Steam overlay is still up. Anyone ran into this and know how to fix it? Really don't want to revert to my last save.

Tried disabling the overlay? Right-click on the game in the library list and choose properties.

Resident Evil knives worth using:

RE4: Being mapped to a button gives it great utility. Actually does decent damage. Very useful against enemies on the ground.

REDS: Again, being mapped to a button is great. But only really useful with Chris since he deals more damage, and mostly on grounded enemies, or enemies facing you with their backs.

RECVX: The holy grail of knives. Aim at their feet and slash away. Kinda glitchy, so it actually registers multiple hits to an enemy at once. Absolutely worth keeping along for the first few hours of the game when ammo is scarce. And isn't such a bad idea to keep it further in the game either.

Never found a use for any other RE knife except for just fucking around.

Afro

game gets so overwhelming once you start getting a ton of weird items in your inventory and have no idea where to start. loving it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've been using it for the past month on the PS3 version so It works fine, so far it's just for points and badges and tracking your progress

like this

Absolutely pointless. Even Bio: Rev and 6's Bio.net stuff is pointless. 6's is only "worth doing" for the sake of unlocking outfits which are mercenaries only.

Revelations only claim is maybe getting a legendary item faster through passwords. Otherwise that entire site is just artificial grind and not needed for the games.

Xpliskin

I'm both sad and happy after revisiting the mansion.

Happy because more people get to play this.

Sad because tango and capcom both failed to create something that good and no one in a million years will make something as good as this.

Blast from the past

tesqui

I'm both sad and happy after revisiting the mansion.

Happy because more people get to play this.

Sad because tango and capcom both failed to create something that good and no one in a million years will make something as good as this.

Blast from the past

I think the indie scene has a chance of making something special. Now that they know something like this is still relevant in 2015.

LegendX48

Beat in under 5 hours, time to get Jill's RE3 outfit and maybe try for the 3 hour run.

Thinking about it now, the only genuine threat in terms of enemies in this game are the hunters, that and its funny how much of a total joke the spiders are lol

TheSeks

Thinking about it now, the only genuine threat in terms of enemies in this game are the hunters, that and its funny how much of a total joke the spiders are lol

Hunters are the bane of any Biohazard that feature them. That damn leap attack.

Coda

Kinda curious as to why the PS4 version doesn't have a 60 fps option? Seems like it would be able to handle it easily.

Also what control layout do you guys prefer? I've been jumping back and forth. I've found that using the D-Pad is a lot more precise than the analog stick.

LegendX48

Hunters are the bane of any Biohazard that feature them. That damn leap attack.

especially when you have to fight two at once and one decides it wants to do its leap attack as your attacking the other one >.>

Kinda curious as to why the PS4 version doesn't have a 60 fps option? Seems like it would be able to handle it easily.

Also what control layout do you guys prefer? I've been jumping back and forth. I've found that using the D-Pad is a lot more precise than the analog stick.

using a 360 pad on pc so I stick with the analog stick cause, well you know >.> beyond that, type A controls, might try out type B cause LB to snap to enemies is terrible.

dmr87

Classic with type B, and of course D-pad.

Bumhead

Banned
I honestly couldn't even estimate how many times I've played Resident Evil since 1996.

Lots.

Still died in the opening half hour of playing this, though. Two bites and down playing as Jill on normal.

I was getting some really weird sound issues, so deleted the game and re-installing it, although my PS4 is having similar issues even in the UI so maybe I just need to re-start the whole system (was in rest all night last night). Ah well.

What an absolutely brilliant game though. I don't think I'll ever not find this game tense and terrifying. It knows how to get me every time I play it.

NoWayOut

So is it confirmed that the PS4 version runs at 30fps?

I was always terrible with tank controls but I like the new set-up. I've been using tank controls with the d-pad and then using the analogue stick for the new controls when things get a tad tricky.

Glad I can finally play this classic.

TheSeks

especially when you have to fight two at once and one decides it wants to do its leap attack as your attacking the other one >.>

Bio3 kinda solves this with the dodge attack. Time it right and Jill (or the other characters in Merc) will roll out of the way and take a knee with the pistol to where you can unload on the missed Hunters back. I really wish the action dodge would come back with the classic formula, even if I wasn't the master of dodging. :(

So is this the same game that was ported over to Gamecube? I'm not sure if I should be buying this since I've already played a "better graphics" remake.

Minor nitpick but how hard would it have been to make the menus and map fill up the entire screen when playing widescreen instead of remaining 4:3?

TheSeks

Minor nitpick but how hard would it have been to make the menus and map fill up the entire screen when playing widescreen instead of remaining 4:3?

They'd have to resize and stretch EVERYTHING for those. Too much work.

The Cowboy

It's just sad. These type of games are amazing from a design and execution standpoint.

Especially when you consider just how real they could make them look nowadays, i mean look at how good remake looked back when it came out, now imagine this style of game with access to todays memory/GPU/CPU power.

I'd love a proper full on new RE with this style of gameplay built from the ground up to make use off all available hardware, it could look pretty dam great i recon.

game gets so overwhelming once you start getting a ton of weird items in your inventory and have no idea where to start. loving it.
It's pretty simple though. Find a crate and store everything you don't know what do do with and then later get it when you think you need it.

Manu

Oh wow, just read a bit of the DF analysis thread, I shouldn't have.

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks the game looks and plays great on PS4, apparently this port is the worst thing ever.

Especially when you consider just how real they could make them look nowadays, i mean look at how good remake looked back when it came out, now imagine this style of game with access to todays memory/GPU/CPU power.

I'd love a proper full on new RE with this style of gameplay built from the ground up to make use off all available hardware, it could look pretty dam great i recon.

I'd certainly take a new one, though with the current state of Capcom I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in its quality. Can't stop thinking about how a RE2 remake would be like now...*drools*

Oh wow, just read a bit of the DF analysis thread, I shouldn't have.

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks the game looks and plays great on PS4, apparently this port is the worst thing ever.

It's a disgrace that it's running at 30fps, but due to the nature of the game it has pretty much no impact on the gameplay itself.

Aside from the weird PS3 style loading bars constantly when starting up/exiting the game, it's a very competent and nice looking port.

But I can see how some people are disappointed with things like medium shadow settings. There's no reason this shouldn't be able to run maxed out on current gen systems.

http://youtu.be/vKj-xCDUEfA

Just twenty or so minutes of the PC version. First boss fight as Jill
Yawn take 1
, finishing the mask puzzle and getting to the cabin in the woods. Should be 60 fps 1080p. The first few areas (the darker upstairs corridor and the areas near where you meet Richard) are some of the worst looking so far. The last few areas out in the woods look fantastic.

Top Bottom