• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I also unlocked the machine gun with returning bullets but it seems a bit situational, you have to get close to enemies for max damage and in a bullet hell game ipyou usualky do the opposite...

tommib

Gold Member
Guys, despite all the fuck ups with bugs, crashes and unthinkable corrupted save files, I just want to underline that this is the most enjoyable game I’ve played in many years. It ticks all my boxes. Lush dark ambient soundtrack, super dark sci-fi bordering on horror, all stellar gameplay with no forced walking hearing about parenthood, high difficulty… In a way it reminds me of the original quake which is an old time favourite.

I still suck at the game since I struggle with world 3. I’ll get there. I can’t believe a game like this exists in today’s status quo of assassin creed clones. God bless these developers.

Bartski

Gold Member
1.3.4 is live and looks like it's all good now, I backed up my save and I'm just about to test it.

also, if your save got corrupted but is still on your SSD (not sure how tho, mine got wiped instantly) or updated to the cloud as 1.3.3, there is a way to fix it

EDIT: Runs fine on my end but so far - no sign of interactive dead Selenas as they were immediately present in 1.3.3...

Maybe they need more work and it's just a partial rollback, some old bugs that were in patch notes 1.3.3 are present

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I've updated the game yesterday to version 1.3.3 and haven't touched the game since.

So if i update the game today to version 1.3.4 i should be good, or?

SLB1904

Banned
Guys, despite all the fuck ups with bugs, crashes and unthinkable corrupted save files, I just want to underline that this is the most enjoyable game I’ve played in many years. It ticks all my boxes. Lush dark ambient soundtrack, super dark sci-fi bordering on horror, all stellar gameplay with no forced walking hearing about parenthood, high difficulty… In a way it reminds me of the original quake which is an old time favourite.

I still suck at the game since I struggle with world 3. I’ll get there. I can’t believe a game like this exists in today’s status quo of assassin creed clones. God bless these developers.
Yeah easy my game of the year so far. I'm not having any problems with it.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

you need to redownload it if you updated
F***!

I haven't played it since. The save file is still from the previous version.

Even if i would overwrite it with the newest patch?
Do need to back up the save file or can i just delete the game and redownload and install it?

Usualy the save files don't get deleted if you delete the game.

Last edited:

Rea

Why the fuck they remove the keyboard exploits, why don't they just let the people have fun with it. The game is already unfair with fucking stupid debuffs. They waste their fucking time removing the exploits and at the same time introducing new bugs. I love the game but i don't like how the devs are handling. We buy games for fun and let us do whatever we want with it.
( that doesn't mean i will use exploits, i hate cheats. Still stuck at biome 3)

Luipadre

F***!

I haven't played it since. The save file is still from the previous version.

Even if i would overwrite it with the newest patch?
Do need to back up the save file or can i just delete the game and redownload and install it?

Usualy the save files don't get deleted if you delete the game.

Just redownload it and play

[Sigma]

Ended up doing the 1st 3 biomes. Audio and controls(as expected from Housemarque) are so on point. Been a while since i've been thrilled with a shooter that wasn't Battlefield 4 or Vanquish lol. First game i've gotten to experience the DualSense, pretty crazy along with the 3d audio in this.

Bosses I just sat back and dodged for a minute and watched their patterns and then beat them. 3rd boss I didn't mean to fight him when I did, I wasn't paying attention to my map and just ran into him lol.

Now they took all my stuff;(. I'll play the 2nd act some time today hopefully.

It's unfortunate the game is having problems for many folks. I haven't had any thus far. No reason for to update the game till I need that online trophy since it's working fine currently for me.

Last edited:

Darak

Damn, I forgot to turn off the auto updates and the new patch restarted my run. Nice. To add insult to injury, the new patch is just a rollback, and I had restarted in 1.3.1 from scratch so I didn't need it.

Darak

Is it just me, or is biome 4 much easier compared to biome 3? And it's not because I had a better build, quite the opposite, because they reset your character at the start of this biome (which sucks, by the way).

xrnzaaas

Is it just me, or is biome 4 much easier compared to biome 3? And it's not because I had a better build, quite the opposite, because they reset your character at the start of this biome (which sucks, by the way).
Yep it is, not many annoying enemies and the boss is much easier, because you fight on a traditional arena. I actually completed it on my first attempt, however I will admit I had a lot of upgrades from biomes 1-3 including doubled integrity bar length.

Darak

Yep it is, not many annoying enemies and the boss is much easier, because you fight on a traditional arena. I actually completed it on my first attempt, however I will admit I had a lot of upgrades from biomes 1-3 including doubled integrity bar length.
Wait, the game removed all my upgrades when I started biome 4, including integrity enhancements. How did you manage to keep all the stuff? In fact the reset looked like it was forced by the story.

xrnzaaas

Wait, the game removed all my upgrades when I started biome 4, including integrity enhancements. How did you manage to keep all the stuff? In fact the reset looked like it was forced by the story.
Oh yeah, my bad. I must've increased it again (but not to 200%) in biome 4.

Anyway for me it's the easiest biome next to 1. 2 is tough because of elites, 3 because of the boss, 5 and 6 can be pretty tough in general.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
So yesterday I reach the 3rd boss, and holly shit how do you dodge that. Bullets literally flying from every direction.

cucuchu

Finally decided to give the game a shot and it does not disappoint. The sound design is ace and I highly recommend anyone playing this to play with a headset. It's not just the 3D audio either but the music too as well as that reverberating beat that plays when you encounter an enemy, just something about it all that flows so well together and (at least for me) has been stuck in my head since I put the controller down last night.

I think I made it towards the end of the first Biome...I got the sword and went through the first house segment, and then when I was going to backtrack to the primary objective, the game crashed. Felt bad too...was about an hour+ of progress since my last death, but I guess at least it saved my progress when I got the sword so it's not a complete waste. The difficulty seems right on point so far but I haven't really gotten far enough to encounter anything too difficult. My only death (aside from the first one) can 110% be attributed to me making stupid mistakes but I think I can see where people might get frustrated with the game. I think you have played Doom Eternal on a higher difficulty this is similar to that in that you need to always keep moving and situational awareness is what will keep you alive more than anything. I started to sort out that hip fire is all I really needed in this game and hardly ever aim down sites plus it still feels kinda clunky to me and I will occasionally initiate my secondary fire because I instinctively will press left trigger down all the way to focus aim.

Aside from the crash, fantastic game and I look forward to diving back in tonight. The story seems fairly solid so far and I'm definitely getting vibes from Prometheus (no so much Alien yet), Metroid, and oddly enough Hellblade at least it feels like the story might
be going down a mental illness/trauma route similar to Hellblade's protagonist's psychosis

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

For anyone interested.

The last time i played was yesterday with version 1.003.001.
After that i closed the game, downloaded the patch version 1.003.003 and shut down the console.
Today i started the console back up and it immediately downloaded the patch 1.003.004.

I also didn't reinstalled the game and backed up my save from version 1.003.001 with autosync off.

I can play now without having lost any progress made up until now.
I did not play the version 1.003.003 at all so no save game corruption.

But.

Any ether collected will be lost if i exit the game.
It will stay with you when you die and keep playing but not if you exit the game.
It wasn't like that before.

I hope this is not intended!

Edit: I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
How difficult is Biome 6?

I had a beautiful run yesterday and beat Biome 5 only to get glitched in underwater geometry in Biome 6

just hoping I can get back there without grinding out a good build like I did for Biome 4

Mr Hyde

Standing once again outside Nemesis in Derelict Ruins. Beginning to get very comfortable in getting to him in one piece. I have a really solid build now. Been grinding out the two previous areas for upgrades, and killed respective boss too, so now I'm armed to the teeth.

Got a rank 11 Thermo Rocket Launcher, 230% health, 35% shield (with another 10 activated when alt-fire recharges), loads of good artifacts and a doll in case Nemesis touches me too often.

I have a good feeling about this. Unfortunately I had to take a break because I needed to get to work, but as soon as I'm off it's time for revenge. Haven't experienced any bugs or crashes yet, but I did notice Housemarque put out a new patch (which I haven't installed yet because it would kill my run).

Situations like these really call for a quicksave option.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Did they fixed the infinite cure from the ship?!
It was changed to healing once per playthrough with version 1.003.003 as stated by tommib tommib and the amount that is healed seems minisculed as pointed out by T Thief1987 .

I have not checked how the state is with version 1.003.004.

Debug mode for cheating is also gone.

Last edited:
So is the latest patch safe now?
I don’t know if anyone else has this problem but I’ve been getting stuck in rooms since the newest patch.

My save got corrupted but thankfully saw the thread and turned off cloud update sync. I downloaded the update and my save file this morning and keep getting locked into item rooms with no way out aside from restarting my run

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I don’t know if anyone else has this problem but I’ve been getting stuck in rooms since the newest patch.

My save got corrupted but thankfully saw the thread and turned off cloud update sync. I downloaded the update and my save file this morning and keep getting locked into item rooms with no way out aside from restarting my run
They basically rolled back to version 1.003.001 with minor changes and called it version 1.003.004.

What i mean by that is that the locked door bug is still not fixed.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
For anyone interested.

The last time i played was yesterday with version 1.003.001.
After that i closed the game, downloaded the patch version 1.003.003 and shut down the console.
Today i started the console back up and it immediately downloaded the patch 1.003.004.

I also didn't reinstalled the game and backed up my save from version 1.003.001 with autosync off.

I can play now without having lost any progress made up until now.
I did not play the version 1.003.003 at all so no save game corruption.

But.

Any ether collected will be lost if i exit the game.
It will stay with you when you die and keep playing but not if you exit the game.
It wasn't like that before.

I hope this is not intended!

Edit: I'm not the only one.

i-am-altering-the-deal-pray-i-dont-alter-it-any-further.jpg

housemarque at this point

skit_data

So the ”go back to Helios to sleep repeatedly”-trick still works?

I saw on reddit it was one of the things they removed in the broken patch.

Guess I gotta abuse the shit of it before next patch hits. Damn I was hoping they would make it go to full health, but it seems they nerfed it and removed the ability to do it repeatedly.

On the bright side it will probably encourage getting gud, going back to sleep in Helios was the worst part of a run in biome 1. Remove it and I won’t have to make the decision. Just like in a dictatorship.

bargeparty

What's the deal with the different colored orbs that enemies and bosses use, there's blue, orange-ish red. I've even seen some "special" looking ones that appear in the middle of an "orb blast" from an elite enemy.

I know purple was explained as you couldn't dodge through it, but I don't remember the other colors.

Damage differences?

Top Bottom