• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
You are in the endgame of what Returnal really is about.

Next patch you will have some games missing from your PSN account.

Another patch and you will get errors when trying to sign into your PSN account.

Final patch causes your PS5 to blast off through the roof, on an unimaginable journey through space and time.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Infected Scouts are working. The ones that turn into an enemy and then there's the ones you can avenge by using Ether.
if you're playing the game post-patch getting those error messages and didn't back up to cloud with sync off - your save is most likely gone.

Orpheum

Seriously what a mess... Just cleared biome 4 and was one key into biome 5 when my game crashed and due to the patch i need to do biome 4 all over again. What a fucking mess.

So i get this right,i need to uninstall the game and install it again? What about my savefile? Is it corrupted for all eternity or until they actually fix it or do i need to start all over again?

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
That's it. Not gonna touch it until a couple of weeks down the line. Releasing a game like this and then corrupting people's saves... I don't even...

Resident Evil Village it is.

saintjules

Gold Member
if you're playing the game post-patch getting those error messages and didn't back up to cloud with sync off - your save is most likely gone.
My save is fine and cloud runs continously.

I found 1 infected Scout and one that I could avenge. No problems with the patch on my end but I just saw that they pulled the latest update.

DonJorginho

Banned
BREAKING NEWS: MANCHILD THEAP99 THEAP99 LOSES HIS RAG (again) ON TWITTER OVER NOTHING.

Where did the Astronaut touch you?

returnal-astronaut-cutscene.jpg

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

I downloaded the update but haven't installed it yet. I had auto-update turned off. I'm in the middle of a run right now in biome 3, my console is in rest mode and I'm about to turn it back on to continue. Can I on my current run since technically it's still in the old patch?

DonJorginho

Banned
Once again, you're bringing off-site stuff that has nothing to do with neogaf onto here and I'll get blamed for it just like last time.
It's embarrassing man, at this point you're literally ABUSING a development team which aren't intended to hurt anyone, this was an innocent mistake. You seem to keep forgetting this is their first true AAA game, for a small studio these hiccups are bound to happen.

It isn't good for the players and I accept some annoyance from people who suffered issues but you haven't even played the game I don't think and are abusing Housemarque and blasting them with horrible comments calling for their heads under every tweet about them.

It's sad mate, it puts NeoGAF in a bad light as people will think we all like to abuse innocent devs in our spare time.

skit_data

Seems like some people wants a refund. Why? The game is obviously not broken on a CDPR-level and Housemarque acted rather quickly to prevent it. If this is the straw that breaks the camels back you probably didn’t make it very far into the game anyway. Im in biome 3 now and personally I feel that I’ve gotten good enough that I know I could make it back to it in way less time even if my save has been wiped. Maybe the game wasn’t for you from the very start.

That said, Housemarque need to sort this game out, immediately. Stuff like this is unacceptable for a game of this kind, especially being one of Sonys first PS5 exclusives.

THEAP99

Banned
It's embarrassing man, at this point you're literally ABUSING a development team which aren't intended to hurt anyone, this was an innocent mistake. You seem to keep forgetting this is their first true AAA game, for a small studio these hiccups are bound to happen.

It isn't good for the players and I accept some annoyance from people who suffered issues but you haven't even played the game I don't think and are abusing Housemarque and blasting them with horrible comments calling for their heads under every tweet about them.

It's sad mate, it puts NeoGAF in a bad light as people will think we all like to abuse innocent devs in our spare time.
Who am I abusing? If I was individually tweeting people from the development team "FUCK U, U SUCK" then maybe you'd have a point that I'm overboard. But I'm not. I like many others are being vocal in yet another unfinished game being released. $70. It's frustrating and unacceptable really

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Who am I abusing? If I was individually tweeting people from the development team then maybe you'd have a point that I'm overboard. But I'm not. I like many others are being vocal in yet another unfinished game being released. $70. It's frustrating and unacceptable really
You're @ing the entire team mate. The game is not unfinished? It had a few minor bugs, they released a patch and unfortunately it dropped with a save issue, they have pulled the patch immediately and are releasing a new working patch within the next few hours.

That is not an unfinished game, that is a small dev team working their asses off in a pandemic and doing their best.

GHG

Sorry to say it but I should have stuck to my guns with this one and waited for a sale.

While I will appreciate taking a break from the game because it was stressing me the fuck out its clear the game needed a few more weeks.

Oh and if there's any consistency with how Sony treats developers who botch things like this then Housemarque will be dead to them.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Who am I abusing? If I was individually tweeting people from the development team "FUCK U, U SUCK" then maybe you'd have a point that I'm overboard. But I'm not. I like many others are being vocal in yet another unfinished game being released. $70. It's frustrating and unacceptable really
I thought your tweets were fine by the way.

Anytime anyone starts making excuses "because its a small team and its their first time" it makes me a little sick inside. Its not the consumers job to research team size and experience when buying first party $70 games.

THEAP99

Banned
You're @ing the entire team mate. The game is not unfinished? It had a few minor bugs, they released a patch and unfortunately it dropped with a save issue, they have pulled the patch immediately and are releasing a new working patch within the next few hours.

That is not an unfinished game, that is a small dev team working their asses off in a pandemic and doing their best.
Considering launch weekend the game had crashing issues and it's a game where there's literally no auto save or save and exit feature.. resulting in hours loss of playtime.. not to mention the door glitch.. I think calling the game fully complete is a stretch but OK, maybe it's just "unpolished."

And then now today, an update that results in many losing whole game file and not even being able to play the single player game they paid for.. having to redownload it.. not to mention all the casuals who don't check twitter everyday for patch notes like us and don't know what's going on.. it's an extremely messy situation and not a good look for the brand that just had the ceo a few months ago throw shade at cyberpunk.

I understand the developers at Housemarque at Housemarque are doing what they can and it should be clear, but somewhere along the line something is being messed up that allows for expensive titles like this to have messy launches. Is it sony's fault in not giving enough support? Possibly. And that's why I make mention to PlayStation in some of those tweets to clean up the messy. Whether it be through refunds or whatnot etc.

Most importantly this clearly shouldn't have launched last week and it shouldn't have been $70. As someone else just said, the game is $70 and that helps set the expectations. Nowhere on the box does it say "Disclaimer, please bare with us we are a small time so excuse the bugs"

Last edited:

skit_data

You're too nice. Basically they are shit at the game (or they finished it quickly) and aren't man enough to live by their decision to purchase it digitally at launch.
Yeah, buying a game at launch might have its downsides and this has always been the case. If you’re unsure there is nothing wrong with waiting. I bought the game at launch and I don’t regret it one bit. It was a risk i was willing to take, because whenever you see ”version 1.00000...” of something, you know there might be issues no matter what software.

GHG

Yeah, buying a game at launch might have its downsides and this has always been the case. If you’re unsure there is nothing wrong with waiting. I bought the game at launch and I don’t regret it one bit. It was a risk i was willing to take, because whenever you see ”version 1.00000...” of something, you know there might be issues no matter what software.

The reality is that in this day and age v1.0 is codename for "final beta".

And I say that as a software dev...

skit_data

I think it's a pretty fun game when it works and I was looking forward to getting on tonight and beating biome 3 boss but I guess I can't..
It will be a few more hours, Housemarque is on it. Believe me, I also had a few crashes, I’ve fallen through the map floor and my game crashed today when in the middle of a really good run. It sucks, it really does.

But it was a risk I was willing to take when buying the game this close to launch. Shame on me, I knew better even before buying it. It is still early, the game will be 100% stable in time. I encountered similar problem the first time playing Dark Souls and my rage was way worse than the slight ”sigh” i feel now. Nature of the beast and all that.

bargeparty

On topic: anyone having trouble should stack protection. I was barely taking any damage, even from bosses. I think I had like 60% in the end of my 1-3 run.

FrankWza

The reality is that in this day and age v1.0 is codename for "final beta".

And I say that as a software dev...
It will be a few more hours, Housemarque is on it. Believe me, I also had a few crashes, I’ve fallen through the map floor and my game crashed today when in the middle of a really good run. It sucks, it really does
For me I guess I’ve been lucky but I haven’t had any issues except for one time the ship was see through in spots. I even did a couple of the online challenges with no problems. But, I don’t download any patches for anything until I know it’s ok and I also back up my saves. I don’t ever keep auto update on for anythingelse either. Phones or computers or whatever. I know that may a personal thing but like you said, it’s basically like this for many types of firmware and updates across all electronics.

But I do feel bad if anyone lost any progress. Hopefully it’s only one biome.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I deleted the download but something messed up my game anyway. lost an hour of progress in biome 1. had such a great build going. i had just beaten the boss and was all decked out for biome 2. oh well. back to the grind.

for the record, it didnt crash. it just made my screen go dark. only the hud and menus were showing.

skit_data

So what exactly does the game actually save from run to run?
Ether(one of the two currencies), weapon traits, permanent upgrades (hookshot, teleportation device, etc), ”boss keys” to next biome and collectibles (glyphs, audio logs). Once you’ve ”found” a new weapon on one of your runs, you will be able to find it again i any other run onwards.

bender

What time is it?
So what exactly does the game actually save from run to run?

-You find alien technology that is akin to Metroid Upgrades (sword, grappling hook, etc.) that allows you to access new areas.
-There is a currency called Ether that stays with after you die. It allows you to cleanse items, can be traded for the other currency and can also be used to craft new artifacts later in the game.
-There are ciphers you discover that help you read in game lore.
-Weapon modifiers (which you have to level up to unlock)
-Boss keys. You only have to defeat each boss once in order to progress to the next level but you do have the choice of fighting them again.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what indeed is up with act 4 got to the boss made it until third fase near the end, i was not prepped anyway..
eeeh... why is act 4 so much easier then 3.

like nothing in this biome was really hard..
also i still think abusing doors is kinda cheating in a way, But it's so effective esp in 4

Drama Peek GIF

me in act 4

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
what indeed is up with act 4 got to the boss made it until third fase near the end, i was not prepped anyway..
eeeh... why is act 4 so much easier then 3.

like nothing in this biome was really hard..
also i still think abusing doors is kinda cheating in a way, But it's so effective esp in 4

Drama Peek GIF

me in act 4

It's the narrative split in the game and where they strip you of all of your previous progression items. I'm guessing they couldn't make a smooth difficulty curve because of this. It's a really head scratching decision.

Top Bottom