• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal cannot find any sort of depth. It's either inside the service line, or out entirely.

IISANDERII

Djokovic making it look easy, playing very relaxed. Too relaxed. Nadal not in the groove yet so Djokovic will need to step it up eventually.

And there you go, Rafa breaks back.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
one of the breaks gifted back, but it's pretty clear that nadal's only chance is if one of his crazy fans pulls a seles on djokovic.

Diamond

Davydenko, the man who never even made a slam final, and Nalbandian, the man who only made one slam final and promptly lost it to Hewitt 6-1, 6-3, 6-2? Ferrer did better against Nadal at Roland Garros. Re-read that last sentence. Ferrer did better against Nadal at Roland Garros than Nalbandian did in his only slam final.

You're the first one here to say that reaching a final or even winning a slam isn't the ultimate mesure of the talent/potential of a player. I expected better arguments from you. :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why anyone cares about this match. Our lord and saviour Clayray will vanquish whichever force of evil prevails from this sordid encounter.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't know why anyone cares about this match. Our lord and saviour Clayray will vanquish whichever force of evil prevails from this sordid encounter.

i for one refuse to recognise murray as a top player again until he proves he is capable of playing more than two competitive sets against djokovic.

scarlet

This match

cKYo6It.gif

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the only explanation here is that djokovic in intentionally letting nadal back into the match because he wants to make it look like nadal is not a crippled has-been and that his victory actually means something.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're the first one here to say that reaching a final or even winning a slam isn't the ultimate mesure of the talent/potential of a player. I expected better arguments from you. :)

I don't think reaching, say, a single final or single semfinal or whatever determines a player's level, because it's an incredibly small sample-size that can be determined by match-up differences and so on. E.g., an absolutely incredible player in the Federer era who could beat everyone else more easily than Federer, but had specific match-up issues with Federer would probably have no slams, simply because there's a 99% chance that if he he made a final, he'd play Federer. Incidentally, I actually think Nalbandian was an *inverse* version of this - he had a very good playstyle to trouble Federer, so he did disproportionately better against Federer than other people of the time, which is why he gets fondly remembered - especially by Federer fans.

However, the repeated failure to make finals over a rather long career is... telling, because you can't obviously always play the same player in semi-finals. That implies that Nalbandian wasn't just losing to Federer... he was losing to a lot of other people. He only made four semi-finals, and lost one of those to Marcos Baghdatis of all people. Ferrer's made five semi-finals, and he lost those to Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, and Djokovic. Almost all of Ferrer's quarter-final losses were also to these players; Nalbandian's quarter-final losses include a rather motley crew of ragtags.

For what it's worth, Nalbandian probably would be my fourth pick for "best slamless player of the last decade" after Tsonga, Berdych and Ferrer, though.

IISANDERII

No!!!!

Itv has switched to the Ferer/Murphy match but they said Nadal/Djokovic will be on itv.com but i can't find it! Anybody know where i can find it? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom