• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Whether Mauresmo stays with Andy after her maternity time off or not, Murray really needs to get that 2nd serve sorted.

Yes. It's his biggest weakness as a player now, especially now that his forehand and backhand have improved so much.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i thought ferrer-murray was supposed to be quality. murray is hitting the net so much you'd think it was football.

It dived after Ferrer broke back. I think Murray's confidence went a bit.

Kensuke

Ferrer should have gotten one of those setpoints. He's going to lose the tiebreak for sure.

edit: Ferror..... how did he miss that. 3 mistakes in a row.

cackhyena

Joker playing perfection the first four games and it's been shaky since. I'm reminded all over again why I can't stand him. As soon as things aren't going his way, it's time to complain about everything under the fucking sun.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
you should be more specific. that has happened three times. :p

The third time. The first two were actually really good, some incredible rallies and Ferrer's forehand was absolutely on point. The lots of breaks isn't because either player was playing badly (aside from maybe the last), but because they were playing really well and frankly they're such good returners there isn't much difference between a return and service game for them.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The third time. The first two were actually really good, some incredible rallies and Ferrer's forehand was absolutely on point. The lots of breaks isn't because either player was playing badly (aside from maybe the last), but because they were playing really well and frankly they're such good returners there isn't much difference between a return and service game for them.

add "and terrible servers" in there and i agree.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer still plays all year long.

Nadal is mostly MIA.

Honestly, I feel like Nadal's 2015 is just Federer's 2013. They were even roughly the same ages. Nadal will probably go away, redesign his game a bit, and come back as a top player, if not a dominant one, the same way Federer came back in 2014. It's not even like Nadal is physically unwell or has knee problems at the moment, mentally he's just not there. That will come back in a bit, especially when he sinks down the rankings to #10, does what Murray and Federer did when their ranking slipped and play a lot more minor tournaments, and rack up some wins to regain confidence. I think counting Nadal out is premature [from his career, I mean. Not this match].

jett

D-Member
Honestly, I feel like Nadal's 2015 is just Federer's 2013. They were even roughly the same ages. Nadal will probably go away, redesign his game a bit, and come back as a top player, if not a dominant one, the same way Federer came back in 2014. It's not even like Nadal is physically unwell or has knee problems at the moment, mentally he's just not there. That will come back in a bit, especially when he sinks down the rankings to #10, does what Murray and Federer did when their ranking slipped and play a lot more minor tournaments, and rack up some wins to regain confidence. I think counting Nadal out is premature [from his career, I mean. Not this match].

He has barely played at all this year. How is he not unwell? I've been watching Nadal play since 2006, always defending him from the "haters" that said his style of play would "soon" put him out of commission, but this time it seems it's for real.

cackhyena

He's just getting older and can't get to these balls the way he used to. It doesn't help that Joker paints lines off both hands pretty well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He has barely played at all this year. How is he not unwell? I've been watching Nadal play since 2006, always defending him from the "haters" that said his style of play would "soon" put him out of commission, but this time it seems it's for real.

He's played every Masters and Slam this calendar season? He missed the end of last year, sure, but he did that in 2012 then in 2013 he sweeped the second end of the year winning Toronto, Cincinnati, and the US Open.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if the Djoker could get a grand slam this year. Without Nadal at RG GF this is the best chance anyone could possibly have.

Diamond

I don't think reaching, say, a single final or single semfinal or whatever determines a player's level, because it's an incredibly small sample-size that can be determined by match-up differences and so on. E.g., an absolutely incredible player in the Federer era who could beat everyone else more easily than Federer, but had specific match-up issues with Federer would probably have no slams, simply because there's a 99% chance that if he he made a final, he'd play Federer. Incidentally, I actually think Nalbandian was an *inverse* version of this - he had a very good playstyle to trouble Federer, so he did disproportionately better against Federer than other people of the time, which is why he gets fondly remembered - especially by Federer fans.

However, the repeated failure to make finals over a rather long career is... telling, because you can't obviously always play the same player in semi-finals. That implies that Nalbandian wasn't just losing to Federer... he was losing to a lot of other people. He only made four semi-finals, and lost one of those to Marcos Baghdatis of all people. Ferrer's made five semi-finals, and he lost those to Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, and Djokovic. Almost all of Ferrer's quarter-final losses were also to these players; Nalbandian's quarter-final losses include a rather motley crew of ragtags.

For what it's worth, Nalbandian probably would be my fourth pick for "best slamless player of the last decade" after Tsonga, Berdych and Ferrer, though.

So it's not THAT strange to put him ahead of these guys if he's so close !
I understand your analysis, although to me it's more than Nalbandian was, yes, capable of losing against anyone, but when he was on, was also capable to beat anyone (WTF 2005, end of 2007), whereas Ferrer pretty much never seems able to beat the top guys in important matches. Nalbandian had a more creative playstyle, which, in my opinion at least, should have been rewarded and probably would have if he had made better career choices and/or suffered less injuries.
Now I understand Ferrer and Berdych work hard and are deserving too, but they never had and never will have Nalbandian's flair. But hey, they are still competing so they're definitely in a better position than him !
As I said earlier we agree on Tsonga so there's that.

Now back to not working at work, watching Roland Garros scoreboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom