• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
He's played every Masters and Slam this calendar season? He missed the end of last year, sure, but he did that in 2012 then in 2013 he sweeped the second end of the year winning Toronto, Cincinnati, and the US Open.

Maybe I'm super mistaken, for some reason I thought he had barely played this year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was a fucking awful overhead by Nadal, what was he thinking?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm super mistaken, for some reason I thought he had barely played this year.

No. Statistically, this isn't even his worst year (although it will be if he loses RG), he has more points at this stage in the race than he did in 2014.

Honestly, I feel like Nadal's 2015 is just Federer's 2013. They were even roughly the same ages. Nadal will probably go away, redesign his game a bit, and come back as a top player, if not a dominant one, the same way Federer came back in 2014. It's not even like Nadal is physically unwell or has knee problems at the moment, mentally he's just not there. That will come back in a bit, especially when he sinks down the rankings to #10, does what Murray and Federer did when their ranking slipped and play a lot more minor tournaments, and rack up some wins to regain confidence. I think counting Nadal out is premature [from his career, I mean. Not this match].

Maybe. Federer just became more serve reliant though. His ground game arguably got worse. Nadal needs to have some good draws and then maybe try to play like he did at the end of 2013 with first-strike tennis.

Kensuke

This match is pretty much done. As expected Djokovic will win, but I thought Nadal would at least take a set. I guess Djoker is just too good at the moment and Nadal is not in top form. I wonder how the match would have been if Nadal was his usual self.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe. Federer just became more serve reliant though. His ground game arguably got worse. Nadal needs to have some good draws and then maybe try to play like he did at the end of 2013 with first-strike tennis.

I think Nadal will actually have to play like he did when he was a *lot* younger. If you watch Nadal matches from like, 2005, he actually hits really flat shots with not much top-spin but an incredible amount of power. He only really brought in the top-spin to deal specifically with Federer and that not until 2006; it then spread to how he played every other player over the next few years and by ~2008 it was the only way he played. If Nadal jumps back in time to, eh, circa 2007, I think he'd definitely stand a strong chance at slams again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So it's not THAT strange to put him ahead of these guys if he's so close !

yeah, I was exaggerating a bit, partly for comedic effect, and partly because I'm so fed up with the "Nalbandian was a misunderstood genius, should have won 8 slams" people. :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ugh, the Murray-Ferrer match has gone horrible again. Very streaky, goes from awesome to disgusting in the blink of an eye.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
In all honesty, given the quality of the quarterfinalists (first *ever* slam where every quarterfinalist was at least a slam finalist), all of the semi-finals have been of fairly variable quality.

Diamond

What's happening right now is logical when you consider all the elements that we had before the match. It's just a little sad that Nadal's streak will end that... logically.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, Murray and Ferrer suddenly playing really well again. Weird match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have. Murray won a couple of shit tier clay tournaments in a row. good for him. He's about to run into a better player next round and will lose in 4 sets. what's your prediction?

From a serious perspective, 4 sets, Murray winning the first or second and losing the rest. From a Clayray persective, a 5 set 0-6 0-6 7-6 7-6 12-10 marathon with Murray emerging victorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom