• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I like how #Nadal, #VamosRafa and even #Ferrer are trending globally and yet #Djokovic isn't. #HumpDay is more important than Djokovic.

szaromir

Banned
Soderling's FO final against Federer was so depressing, don't remind me. He played *awfully*. I mean, I know most people play awfully in their first slam final simply because of the nerves (Kei and Murray being recent examples), but Soderling was something else. Federer wasn't even that good. At least Baghdatis was on an inspired streak for his.
Roger was a nightmare match-up for Soderking though. That and nerves meant he never had much of a chance.

Stanimal looks like our best chance at stopping Djokovic, though I hope Clayray somehow manages to do it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
That's bullshit and your tag needs revoking.

i edited to be more accurate. as a first slam final opponent he's definitely tougher than tsonga. especially on grass.

edit: of course i forgot djokovic actually played federer the year before at us open. now that is a tough guy to play in your first final.

Yeah, with a slight difference that Federer won several slams against trumpeters like Philippoussis, Baghdatis, González, Söderling..

Try to compare that with Rafa or Novak.

Puerta, Ferrer, Berdych, Soderling. Nadal has had some finals against non-slam winners as well. And Philippoussis and Soderling are multiple slam finalists. It's not like they were pushovers. Anyone that makes a final has to be playing relatively well.
Djokovic has only played the big 4 though, with the exception of Tsonga.

Kensuke

Downplaying Federer's achievements is just as old as the man himself. Let's not forget Federer beat peak Djokovic in 2011 RG and he should have beaten him twice over in USO semi-finals. Federer beat him in 2012's WB too. He's 4-1 against Murray at slams. He has lost a lot to Nadal, but that is the player he's weakest against. Let's not forget all the WTF Federer has won too, a lot against those same players.

Man, this is the same as the listwars on the gaming side.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i edited to be more accurate. as a first slam final opponent he's definitely tougher than tsonga. especially on grass.

No. No, just, no. Philippoussis has a career 27-10 at Wimbledon, Tsonga has 27-8 at the Australian Open. The difference is effectively negligible (and actually favours Tsonga). Tsonga has also had much better all-round career.

well you did what you were put on earth to do novak, well done chap. any chance you could get triple bagelled in the next round by clayray now? no? ok then :(

Peru

CGlwKUDWgAAYIGy.png

John Dunbar

correct about everything
No. No, just, no. Philippoussis has a career 27-10 at Wimbledon, Tsonga has 27-8 at the Australian Open. The difference is effectively negligible (and actually favours Tsonga). Tsonga has also had much better all-round career.

your meaningless statistics have no bearing on what a tough player philpossum could be on grass, and it was his bad fortune to play in an era of grass court greats.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
your meaningless statistics have no bearing on what a tough player philpossum could be on grass, and it was his bad fortune to play in an era of grass court greats.

Philippoussis lost to Sampras, Rusedski, Sampras, Sampras, Agassi, Krajicek, Federer, Henman, Safin, and Mirnyi at Wimbledon. Tsonga lost to Roddick, Djokovic, Verdasco, Federer, Dolgopolov, Nishikori, Federer, Federer at the Australian Open.

I don't think there's a particularly large difference between these groups. If you rank them, it probably looks something like this:

Federer (only conceding this for the sake of argument)
Djokovic
Sampras
Agassi
Safin
Roddick
Krajicek
Henman
Verdasco (bearing in mind his 2009 AO form only)
Nishikori
Rusedski
(large gap)
Dolgopolov
(extremely large gap)
Mirnyi

Bolded is those only played by Tsonga, in italics those played by both. You can see it is a fairly even mix.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clayray taking a break to prepare for Friday, so Murray has taken over.

szaromir

Banned
Philippoussis lost to Sampras, Rusedski, Sampras, Sampras, Agassi, Krajicek, Federer, Henman, Safin, and Mirnyi at Wimbledon. Tsonga lost to Roddick, Djokovic, Verdasco, Federer, Dolgopolov, Nishikori, Federer, Federer.

I don't think there's a particularly large difference between these groups. If you rank them, it probably looks something like this:

Federer (only conceding this for the sake of argument)
Djokovic
Sampras
Agassi
Safin
Roddick
Krajicek
Henman
Verdasco (bearing in mind his 2009 AO form only)
Nishikori
Rusedski
(large gap)
Dolgopolov
(extremely large gap)
Mirnyi

Bolded is those only played by Tsonga, in italics those played by both. You can see it is a fairly even mix.
Did you seriously rank Djokovic above Sampras? You're out of your mind. Also: Nishikori above Rusedski? Safin above Roddick?

edit: I misread, it's Wimbledon Sampras vs AO Djokovic. Still, Pete takes the edge for me. Agreed on Safin vs Roddick then. Rusedski above Nishikori though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic at the AO is a better player than Sampras at Wimbledon. I will stand by that. Nishikori is 100% better than Rusedski and Nishikori's career isn't even over yet - Rusedski only ever made the QF or higher *twice* in his entire career. Also, Safin above Roddick favours Philippoussis, so I'm not sure why you picked that one out? I'd have also thought that was one of the less controversial choices. :p If you want I can change that but it favours Tsonga even more.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
still complete nonsense. i feel sick even having read this.

When Djokovic has 8 AO to Sampras' 7 Wimbledon, you will recant. :p
Not a serious argument, slightly teasing.

EDIT: da fuck Rusedski is not above Nishikori anywhere and I'm not even a Nishikori stan as proved by the Tsonga-Kei thread earlier. Rusedski only ever made the QF or better *twice* in his *entire career*. Nishikori has at least 8 more years of play left and has already done that four times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom