• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony PSP2 Arriving In 2010, Features PowerVR SGX543 Graphics Chip

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, what do we think. Plausible? Implausible?

BSN said:
It looks like the stage is set for a big handheld console showdown in 2010. Endangered by rising sales of games for iPhone and OTA downloads instead of conventional cartridge/memory card games, both Nintendo and Sony have to prove that their hardware isn't going on the path of Amiga [proprietary gaming "PC" using Motorola's CPU architecture from 1980s and 1990s], but rather can live in today's connected world.

After we disclosed the relationship between Nintendo and nVidia on the next-generation hardware, we learned that handheld-refresh cycle is in full speed over at Sony as well. If we take a look at PlayStation Portable hardware [both conventional and the PSP Go] since launch, we can see that one problems that Sony has is the use of different hardware over the course of lifetime. Sony released four PSP handhelds mostly relying on 32-bit MIPS R4000 CPU core with 8MB eDRAM as the "Media Engine" clocked at 222 MHz [later unlocked to 333 MHz, PSP Go can overclock to 480 MHz], while the graphics subsystem relies on a proprietary chip featuring 2MB of eDRAM, clocked at 166 MHz.

Naturally, this hardware doesn't exactly have the compute power to tackle the last generation of cellphones, and with the 2010 phones offering HD output capabilities, the time was up for current generation of hardware. Sony begun work on PSP2 back in 2008 and unofficially announced the selection of graphics hardware: on November 24th, 2008 Imagination Technologies ran a press release stating that "Imagination Technologies Group plc has signed a license agreement with a new partner, a major international consumer electronics company, for a high-performance forthcoming member of Imagination's POWERVR SGX graphics processor family."
The client, "major international Consumer Electronics Company" was no other than Sony Corporation and the chip at hand are known as PowerVR SGX543. On CES 2009, Imagination Technologies introduced the PowerVR Series SGX architecture and on March 16th, 2009 Imagination Technologies ran a press release introducing the details of this part. Even though the introduction was low-key and wasn't picked up by tech media, seven months later we finally saw what the architecture can to.

The power of this chip is quite impressive, easily beating integrated graphics parts on PC platform. For instance, it flat-out beats the living daylights out of PowerVR core integrated in Intel's Atom platform. According to the sources close to heart of the company, the SGX543 for PlayStation Portable 2 can reach theoretical performance of desktop graphics cards released during this year, an impressive feat indeed. Imagination Technologies recently passed the 200 million shipped SoC chips milestone, but with PSP2 deal, that number is sure to grow by at least 30-40 million units more.

Now, the interesting part about the PowerVR is that it is a true MIMD [Multiple Instruction-Multiple Data http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMD ] architecture. In their press releases, ImgTech is bragging about the capabilities of the "GP-GPU", but even if we take a look at the specifications with the cold head, a lot of surprises are in store. The multi-core design is available in dual, quad, octal and sedec-core variants [SGX543MP2, SGX543MP4, SGX543MP8, SGX543MP16], and they're by no means slouches.

For instance, a quad-core version SGX543MP4 at only 200 MHz frequency delivers 133 million polygons per second and offers fill-rate of four billion pixels per second [4GPixel/s], in the range of GeForce 8600 cards. For that matter, 4GPixel/s runs 40nm GeForce GT210 [2.5 GPixel/s] into the ground. Given that GeForce GT210 runs at 589 MHz for the core and 1.4 GHz for shaders. Since PowerVR SGX543 targets handheld devices, there is no saying what the performance plateau is.
An eight core SGX543MP8 at 200 MHz delivers 266 million polygons and eight billion pixels per second, while faster clocked version, for instance, at 400 MHz would deliver 532 million polygons and 16 billion pixels per second. 16 billion pixels per second equal GeForce GTX 260-216, for instance.

After analyzing the performance at hand, it is no wonder that Sony chose to go with PowerVR for the next-generation PlayStation Portable. While the exact details of the SoC are still in question, our take is that Sony could go with quad-core setup at 400MHz [8GPixel/s], paired with a dual-core CPU based on ARM Cortex architecture. This would put Sony direct in line against Tegra-powered Nintendo DS2, PowerVR-based Apple's iPhone 4G and Palm Pre2.

With all the major players selecting ARM cores for their current or next-generation products, it looks like the second decade of 21st century will be marked with the battle royal between ARM and x86 architecture in the handheld space [with the advantage firmly in ARM's hands]. Given the installed user base of 15 billion ARM-powered devices and a plan to ship 15 billion more in the next five years, it looks like Intel x86 and AVX will have to wait until 2015 to get the chance to compete against ARM, PowerVR, Mali and GeForce IP, as far as handheld space goes.

When it comes to Sony PlayStation Portable Gen2, selecting PowerVR was the right way to go and since the company unofficially stated [but officially acted] that they don't give a darn about backwards compatibility [take a look at PlayStation 1-2-3 and PSP-PSP Go], programmers will just have to get used to utilizing the ARM core and PowerVR SGX graphics to the max.

We also learned of the PSP2 planned release date, but in order to protect our sources, we'll keep that information for another story. Let's just say it is within the next 12 months.
Source: http://brightsideofnews.com/news/20...-20102c-features-powervr-sgx543-graphics.aspx

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3, Persona 3 Portable, Final Fantasy 13 Agito, Cardboard Senki, Ushiro and more say: No. Not plausible. Maybe we'll hear about it at TGS 2010, but it sure as hell won't be out until at least 2011.

What's the odds it will be digital download only, and the go was a testbed for this. However, that didn't go smoothly and may force a Sony rethink? What kind of storage would you be looking at for games with that graphical prowess?

Combichristoffersen said:
I thought the general opinion was that the Go was stillborn?

OR - Go is used as a market test for a certain price point and viability of pure digital distribution gaming device.

sohois

According to the article, this graphics chip is more powerful than the RSX? Wouldn't that be kind of a strange move by Sony?

Dra-Q

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
That would be sending the "Go" to die.

Even without the PSP2, the Go is dead. But thank God I waited with my PSP purchase, Gamecube graphics on my PSP2? Fuck yeah :D

Monster Hunter Portable 3 as launch-titel in winter 2010

kadotsu

Banned
I hope they go with a solid state medium this time and give a DD option. 12 months sounds too soon though, unless they want to launch with Agito, Ushiro, RE:p,Third BD or MH Tri.

Erebus

sohois said:
According to the article, this graphics chip is more powerful than the RSX? Wouldn't that be kind of a strange move by Sony?
Not if they release the PS4 in the same year :p

Jostifer

SolidSnakex said:
"What's the odds it will be digital download only, and the go was a testbed for this."

Absolutely none.
Really? I would be shocked if it's anything but.
You will see games being sold as voucher cards in stores alongside pure PS Store purchases.

Dra-Q said:
Even without the PSP2, the Go is dead. But thank God I waited with my PSP purchase, Gamecube graphics on my PSP2? Fuck yeah :D

Monster Hunter Portable 3 as launch-titel in winter 2010

If the article is correct, this is more like PS360 gfx level.

woodsey1982 said:
What's the odds it will be digital download only, and the go was a testbed for this. However, that didn't go smoothly and may force a Sony rethink? What kind of storage would you be looking at for games with that graphical prowess?

Zero. There will be physical media, even if every game is sold digitally as well. The real question is whether or not there will be a UMD drive for psp BC. Or if this system will be backward compatible at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SecretBonusPoint said:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3, Persona 3 Portable, Final Fantasy 13 Agito, Cardboard Senki, Ushiro and more say: No. Not plausible. Maybe we'll hear about it at TGS 2010, but it sure as hell won't be out until at least 2011.
I think it's worth noting that with the exception of Ushiro and Agito XIII, all of those are out in the first half of 2010.

As for Monster Hunter Portable 3, that could actually be a PSP2 title or perhaps a PSP and PSP2 title.

I'm not saying it's happening, but I just thought it's something to consider.

woodsey1982 said:

Going strictly digital download only is retarded as the only choice, at least with the GO it was only an alternative to the main PSPx000 series line, which already supports DD.

I quickly realized this, when people came up to me asking how to play games on the GO, and it involved an headache inducing combination of wi-fi set-ups and PS3s explanations.

Jostifer said:
You will see games being sold as voucher cards in stores alongside pure PS Store purchases.

They might do what they're doing with the PSP and PSP go. But I think it's far too risky to go digital distribution only.

Raw64life

As someone who's been tempted to buy a PSP every time a new version has been released but has never pulled the trigger, I would very much appreciate this being backwards compatible with the PSP.

H_Prestige said:
Zero. There will be physical media, even if every game is sold digitally as well. The real question is whether or not there will be a UMD drive for psp BC. Or if this system will be backward compatible at all.

Most likely tt will be backward compatible but will lack a UMD drive. This is one reason why PSPGo is being released UMD-less and the games are released on PSN Store. Quick and easy way to secure BC.

Nirolak said:
I think it's worth noting that with the exception of Ushiro and Agito XIII, all of those are out in the first half of 2010.

As for Monster Hunter Portable 3, that could actually be a PSP2 title or perhaps a PSP and PSP2 title.

I'm not saying it's happening, but I just thought it's something to consider.

Maybe that's the reason Agito is taking so long. From cell phone to psp to psp2 :lol

Grimmy

Banned
All that the PSP needs is for the graphics to be more cleaned up (more AA), not stupidly more horsepower. What's the point of HD graphics on a tiny screen???? I'd prefer the next PSP iteration to not be a so-called PSP2, instead tapping the full power of the current PSP (especially if the PSP can overclock itself to 480MHz is true) by increasing battery life. Oh, and dual analog joystick for people who have whined about it too.

[Nintex]

Finally more hardware rumors it took some time to get the ball rolling but I like what I hear so far. Tegra for Nintendo, PowerVR for Sony should be an interesting battle to say the least. And lets be honest, DSi Only and PSP Go will never take off anyway. Nintendo doesn't want to do a Zelda DSi Only release or something because they'd be stupid to ignore the DS userbase and PSP Go is nothing more than a nice gadget.

Crisco

Banned
lol, are you guys insane? there is absolutely no fucking way hahah. are you telling me you are buying that Sony is going to release a handheld with current gen home console level graphics next year? that's about as likely as a Dreamcast 2.

100% bullshit article

I wonder if this will have physical media of any kind, and if so, what kind? A true upgrade in graphics and whatnot in a handheld, especially if they get controls right (two analogs please), this is pretty exciting.

Nice job sony, you have me interested.

HiResDes

Crisco said:
lol, are you guys insane? there is absolutely no fucking way hahah. are you telling me you are buying that Sony is going to release a handheld with current gen home console level graphics next year? that's about as likely as a Dreamcast 2.

100% bullshit article
Yeah I agree, 2012 would seem more plausible.

shagg_187 said:
Most likely tt will be backward compatible but will lack a UMD drive. This is one reason why PSPGo is being released UMD-less and the games are released on PSN Store. Quick and easy way to secure BC.

Imagine if this thing had dual analog and a ps2 emulator.

[Nintex]

Crisco said:

100% bullshit article
Why not, technology has a come a long way due to the increasing popularity of handhelds and other devices. The PS3 has an ancient nVidia chip on board based on the Geforce 7 series. That's 4 year old technology.

The PSP released when the PS2 was still kicking and the performance was equal.

m.i.s.

Banned
Crisco said:

100% bullshit article

I'm inclined to agree with this.

Just sounds like a tech-heads wet dream.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jostifer said:

Yes, really. The PSP Go was merely an experimental device, and Sony has repeatedly stated they have no plans to abandon the UMD format. The new UMD format should actually hold a bit more storage (~4GB), and downloadable games will work the same way they do on the PS3 - in that, they'll only be anything smaller than, say, 500MB. Just an example, but you can rest assured that's the plan for the PSP2, so it'll still have physical software and downloadable (smaller games, mini-games, apps, etc.).

KillerAJD

PSGames said:
WTH would they need that type of power on a 4 inch screen?
Well, I'm sitting in the living room right now watching my two cousins play Wii Sports, and playing GTPSP at the same time. I would love to have a full featured/PS3 quality looking version on a handheld right now. I know a laptop could remedy that (well, no GT) but if it was about the same size as the PSP now, that would be AWESOME. It would be pretty great for roadtrips as well. As long as it was less than 250$...lol.

Top Bottom