• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony PSP2 Arriving In 2010, Features PowerVR SGX543 Graphics Chip

Lagspike_exe said:
OR - Go is used as a market test for a certain price point and viability of pure digital distribution gaming device.
That was pretty much the purpose of the Go, a test to decide whether the market is ready for DD. That partially explains its higher price point, as a test so its not like Sony is losing any money. If Sony was seriously about making the Go the future PSP, it would not been positioned as their premium device like they call it.

Regardless, I'm guessing a new PSP in 2011, if anything.

I really hope Sony is smart enough to abandon the UMD format and go with solid state instead. That thing is horrible for a portable device.

Agent X

No matter what graphics chip they're using, it is imperative that the PSP2 is backward compatible with its predecessor. They have 250 digital downloads up there now, many of which are great games and proven hits. There's no point in throwing all of this under the bus just to start with a clean slate...especially not if they have to compete against the enormous software lineup on iPhone and iPod Touch, and whatever DSi (or DS2) manages to have out by then.

Also, as tempting as it is to have PS3-quality graphics on a handheld, I think there are bigger breakthroughs to be made in other areas of gaming. If it were up to me, instead of a graphically astounding "PSP2" with a completely new software library, I'd rather have a "PSP 1.5" with a persistent connection to the wireless Internet--and by extension PlayStation Network--and be able to take advantage of all of the media, communication, and social connectivity features that PS3 owners are enjoying...even if the graphics and sound had little or no improvement.

To put it more succinctly...the next Sony handheld should replicate the PS3 experience in your pocket...but the "PS3 experience" I speak of is not necessarily the "graphical experience", but rather the "networking experience".

Stink

Crisco said:
lol, are you guys insane? there is absolutely no fucking way hahah. are you telling me you are buying that Sony is going to release a handheld with current gen home console level graphics next year? that's about as likely as a Dreamcast 2.

100% bullshit article

current gen home console graphics will be five years old in 2010.

[Nintex]

PSGames said:
WTH would they need that type of power on a 4 inch screen?
Why the hell did we need PS2 power on a 4 inch screen when N64 power or PSX power was enough?

PS3 isn't state of the art technology anymore. The current consoles are aging rappidly compared to other hardware out there.

Mandoric

Banned
sohois said:
According to the article, this graphics chip is more powerful than the RSX? Wouldn't that be kind of a strange move by Sony?

The RSX is pretty weak, and it's not like the PSP didn't pack something competitive with the GS five years after PS2 launch. Even if this doesn't pan out, the PSP2 chip is gonna be pretty impressive just because of the incredible pace of graphics technology, and a continuation of the niche PSP itself has found as a home for PS2 ports (suggesting a part that can run around PS3 quality at the PSP's screen res) and PS1 emulation (emulating the PS2 reliably needs a part beefier than the RSX; there's a reason why the semisoftware BC SKUs of the PS3 ditched the EE but kep the GS.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Witchfinder General said:
Sooo, anyone want to post pics of games that would look comparable to the specs in the article for us non-tech plebs?
Unfortunately it's very hard to tell without having all the hardware specs to simulate it with. We also aren't entirely sure how many cores they're talking about here, which makes a huge difference as well. If I had to make an estimate based on this though, I would say something like PSP::pS2, PSP2::pS3. The console is obviously quite a bit more powerful, but the portable still looks quite nice relative to it.

CTLance

As someone with a raging hard-on for tilebased rendering and general PowerVR Zombie this pleases me. Greatly. Or it would. That article reeks of bullshit.

I think it's very suspicious how these last three Graphics chip announcements "leaked" recently. I think we're being played like a fiddle. I will not believe. Still, it's nice to dream. :)

...anyone else sad that "Amiga" is warranting an explanation nowadays? GodIfeelsoold.

LCfiner

H_Prestige said:
I really hope Sony is smart enough to abandon the UMD format and go with solid state instead. That thing is horrible for a portable device.

yes, this.

I don’t expect it to be DD only, since the Go has given them some trouble, but to go back to discs would be a mistake. Solid state as the physical media, please.

and, of course, every game, 1st and 3rd party, available as DD on the day of release.

Raistlin

AlphaSnake said:
and Sony has repeatedly stated they have no plans to abandon the UMD format.

Hold your horses. That was in direct response to questions brought up due to the Go.

There is no guarantee they will use UMD for a PSP2 (and I hope they don't).

[Nintex]

CTLance said:
As someone with a raging hard-on for tilebased rendering and general PowerVR Zombie this pleases me. Greatly. Or it would. That article reeks of bullshit.

I think it's very suspicious how these last three Graphics chip announcements "leaked" recently. I think we're being played like a fiddle. I will not believe. Still, it's nice to dream. :)

...anyone else sad that "Amiga" is warranting an explanation nowadays? GodIfeelsoold.
I think nVidia, PowerVR and others want to remind us that one succesful ATi launch isn't close to dominating the GPU market.

LCfiner said:
yes, this.

I don’t expect it to be DD only, since the Go has given them some trouble, but to go back to discs would be a mistake. Solid state as the physical media, please.

and, of course, every game, 1st and 3rd party, available as DD on the day of release.

Yes. Along with ps1/ps2 emulation and dual analog. As well as full psn integration with ps3. And an OLED screen. That would be a handheld I can actually get on board with.

PSGames

KillerAJD said:
Well, I'm sitting in the living room right now watching my two cousins play Wii Sports, and playing GTPSP at the same time. I would love to have a full featured/PS3 quality looking version on a handheld right now. I know a laptop could remedy that (well, no GT) but if it was about the same size as the PSP now, that would be AWESOME. It would be pretty great for roadtrips as well. As long as it was less than 250$...lol.

That's not what I mean. You can only desolve so much detail on a 4 inch screen. It's like playing a Blu-Ray movie on a handheld. There are other options that would look just as good given the small display. There's no way they need PS3/360 power in a handheld device with such a small screen. It's over kill.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
elrechazao said:
I wonder if this will have physical media of any kind, and if so, what kind? A true upgrade in graphics and whatnot in a handheld, especially if they get controls right (two analogs please), this is pretty exciting.

Nice job sony, you have me interested.

Why are you addressing Sony? :lol :lol

Essentially you're saying you're gonna be interested no matter what. This could be the GO 2 for all we know. :lol

Stink

CTLance said:

I think it's natural that if the DS2 spec leaked then the PSP2 would follow quite quickly.

Raistlin

Andrex said:
Why are you addressing Sony? :lol :lol

Essentially you're saying you're gonna be interested no matter what. This could be the GO 2 for all we know. :lol

Would be great if true. The Go is awesome.

zoku88

I also hope that get rid of UMD. What an awful format. Day and date digital releases for every title too.

(Also, I hope it comes out in 2011...)

PSGames said:
That's not what I mean. You can only desolve so much detail on a 4 inch screen. It's like playing a Blu-Ray movie on a handheld. There are other options that would look just as good given the small display. There's no way they need PS3/360 power in a handheld device with such a small screen. It's over kill.

There are a lot of other ways to take advantage of the extra power beyond just graphics. Graphics are probably the least of Sony's concerns here.

Shiggy

If it really was approaching next year or would be revealed soon, wouldn't we have seen images of it by now? It's Sony after all.

Linkup said:
Three graphic chips in two weeks?

Alright, who's spreading the bs.

My thoughts exactly, the thought that Nintendo and Sony will both be announcing new handhelds within the next 6 months is completly absurd :lol

Espada

Like others have said, this doesn't really seem like all that much of a surprise. I wonder if we can look at the Go for a hint as to what to expect in this thing (for example, onboard memory). I've done most of my gaming on handhelds this gen, so the news about the next Nintendo and Sony handhelds has got me pretty excited.

neptunes

At what point did the public start hearing about the original PSP and DS? was it late 2002 or 2003? I can't remember

2cse5xx.jpg

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
My thoughts exactly, the thought that Nintendo and Sony will both be announcing new handhelds within the next 6 months is completly absurd :lol
The handhelds that are on the market now are quite old, despite their redesigns and rebrandings.

Nintendo DS: 2004(Japan)
Nintendo DS Lite: 2006(Japan)
Nintendo DSi: 2008(Japan
Nintendo DS2: 2010(Japan)

I'm seeing a pattern here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't know the full tech implications of this, but I do know the Tegra chip rumored for DS2 is designed for ultra-low power consumption. It seems these are still the same two companies that launched the DS and PSP half a decade ago.

J-Rzez

I just hope they learned what people want, and how to do it. Go! was sent to die when it was unveiled with it's features, and more importantly it's price. Want to go the DD route on a portable? Fine. But at least make the thing pleasing to look at, hold, and use.

Andrex said:
I don't know the full tech implications of this, but I do know the Tegra chip rumored for DS2 is designed for ultra-low power consumption. It seems these are still the same two companies that launched the DS and PSP half a decade ago.

Why wouldn't they be?

Sony's philosophy is hardwired to the cutting edge. Nintendo's success wouldn't drastically change that. If there are any philosophy changes at all it will be to price, however Sony hasn't learned that lesson in 20 years, so who knows.

woodsey1982 said:
What's the odds it will be digital download only, and the go was a testbed for this. However, that didn't go smoothly and may force a Sony rethink? What kind of storage would you be looking at for games with that graphical prowess?

I'm no industry expert.. but I don't think Sony ever intended for the launch of the Go to run smoothly. You cannot tell me that a company as big as Sony could not predict that the Go was going to appeal to a very small niche of people, Sony are not that fucking blind.

I can't help but think that the goal of the Go was to get people warmed up to the idea of a DD only handheld (PSP2?), whether they buy it or not, any news regarding the Go was free advertising and they got a lot of it, mostly negative but still getting the point across, 'this handheld exists and the only way to play games on it is to download them'.

If Sony are going to make the PSP2 DD then they really need to refine their online infrastructure and personally I think introducing they Go and testing things out in the real world is the perfect way to go about it. To release the PSP2 as a DD only handheld without releasing the Go first would be far too risky, especially if they hadn't ironed out the kinks that come with DD.

end of rant

I have a question...
Alright so people always say "You can't have DD only you gotta keep retail happy", and I can't see why retail can't get involved. Is there any reason why you couldn't go into a gaming store, pay for a game then have it saved to your memory card or straight to the handheld?

m.i.s.

Banned
PSGames said:

It's quite amazing isn't it?

The fact that PS2 to PSP conversions haven't exactly set the world alight and Sony itself are increasingly emphasising PSP Minis as the handheld entertainment game of choice, yet people here still think that the "bigger is better" approach that has arguably failed in the handheld space in the past will still be pursued by companies in the future.

This would put Sony direct in line against Tegra-powered Nintendo DS2, PowerVR-based Apple's iPhone 4G and Palm Pre2.

In one single sentence.. 4 ( four) new, unannounced and unconfirmed products...

is that a record ? :D

And.. palm pre 2 Vs 4G /Ds2 /psp2 ? LOL

J-Rzez

itsgreen said:
btw are there things more exciting than new hardware rumors?

Just the conferences where the new hardware is expected to be unveiled and then the games for the new hardware itself is shown.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DD only is fine. Go has issues because it's a PSP but doesn't play UMDs - it's confusing to consumers. If PSP2 games are only DD that's ok

I think the go form factor is almost perfect. Add in a 2nd nub, touch screen and tilt controls, update the connectivity so it's like a mini PS3 with PSN etc and I'll be happy

Top Bottom