• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony PSP2 Arriving In 2010, Features PowerVR SGX543 Graphics Chip

MysticX said:
The thing that I am mostly scared about is, will PSP GO games still be available in say...10 years time? I mean for me, a 100% DD gaming platform is not a purchase for me. But, it might help if I could Pirate the software somehow.
I read this three times, and am still confused.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The general purpose capabilities of PowerVR Series5XT preclude the need for SPEs, which wouldn't have been competitive anyway within the far less forgiving mobile environment.

Assuming Sony goes with the mobile CPU market leader, a dual or higher Cortex-A9 MP core will start to be the standard solution within the next few years, so that wouldn't be a surprise there.

I'm not surprised with the hardware. For people comparing it to the PS3, the PS3's GPU isn't that impressive by today's standards. Its more or less like a GT7900. The cell is doing the rest of the work.

I hope its DD only this time around, and that the PSP2 has a decent form factor and weight right from the first iteration.

FoxSpirit

CrushDance said:
I read this three times, and am still confused.

Simple. Let's say the software becomes unavailable because Sony or the online service goes Belly up. How will you get your games into your PSP Go when you want to redownload some? You have no physical media.

With Steam you can at least count on them releasing a patch to make the games independent if the tragedy should happen and you'll certainly find places to download your games from. But with PSPGo? Online dead, games gone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FoxSpirit said:
Simple. Let's say the software becomes unavailable because Sony or the online service goes Belly up. How will you get your games into your PSP Go when you want to redownload some? You have no physical media.

With Steam you can at least count on them releasing a patch to make the games independent if the tragedy should happen and you'll certainly find places to download your games from. But with PSPGo? Online dead, games gone.
I've wondered about the same thing.

This is why digital downloads still seem dicey to me. I don't mind spending a bit of money on lower priced games, but I would HATE to build an entire library for a platform around DD. Just seems crazy to me.

FoxSpirit said:

PSP Go games are independent. Say Sony goes under for some reason. You'd simply log in before the servers close, download the game to your computer, and save it there for future use.

fuckawesome if true, I have really wanted to upgrade from a PSP phat but couldnt justify an upgrade with all this incremental BS hardware revisions. but this, this is something I would buy!

keyrat

FoxSpirit said:

Can you explain why Valve would certainly offer a patch but Sony would definitely not? I haven't used the PC PSP store but I was under the impression that it downloaded the files to your computer, so I don't see how this is impossible.

keyrat said:
Can you explain why Valve would certainly offer a patch but Sony would definitely not? I haven't used the PC PSP store but I was under the impression that it downloaded the files to your computer, so I don't see how this is impossible.

Agreed. Even, at that, its not like your streaming them from some Sony server, you have a HDD built-in that the content resides on, there not lost forever.

I do hope that all DD services take a page out of Steams book and have a system like that avialable.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lazy8s said:
for SPEs, which wouldn't have been competitive anyway within the far less forgiving mobile environment.
Power envelope is under question, but hw that fences off the kernel is something Sony will very much want after what happened with PSP. Which means off the shelf solutions are out of the question, be they Arm, Mips or whatever else.

Mips sounds sensible if they want BC though (whether their latest designs are actually competitive I honestly wouldn't know).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SecretBonusPoint said:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3, Persona 3 Portable, Final Fantasy 13 Agito, Cardboard Senki, Ushiro and more say: No. Not plausible. Maybe we'll hear about it at TGS 2010, but it sure as hell won't be out until at least 2011.

Monster Hunter Portable 3 hasn't even been announced dude.

Takao

Banned
Dra-Q said:
Can't wait for my $349 PSP2 Value Pack with Sony branded head-phones.

I think I paid that much for my PSP 1000 at launch. Then again, that was back in 2005, when Canada was getting super exploited in terms of hardware pricing.

sprsk said:
Monster Hunter Portable 3 hasn't even been announced dude.

It hasn't been formally announced, but it's been confirmed another Monster Hunter is heading towards PSP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fafalada said:
Power envelope is under question, but hw that fences off the kernel is something Sony will very much want after what happened with PSP. Which means off the shelf solutions are out of the question, be they Arm, Mips or whatever else.

Mips sounds sensible if they want BC though (whether their latest designs are actually competitive I honestly wouldn't know).

Unless... they go with...

http://www.intel.com/products/vpro/index.htm?iid=tech_vpro_rhc_vpro

;).

Still, you are right SPU Isolation mode and the use of a HyperVisor would be something Sony could use... still, there is a company with lots of shares in IMG which would like to sell Sony a lot of x86 in addition to LRB ;).

Would an Allegrex main RISC core (with VFPU) + 2 SPU's (one dedicated to security as well as Multi-media, I/O, Networking, etc... tasks [should be able to do all securely]) be doable or should they carry the PowerPC core around? Would it be worth it to spend engineering efforts mixing SPE's with Allegrex (without Media Engine and accelerator hardware) to ease BC with PSP1?

thuway

charlequin said:
This idea doesn't make any sense and I don't get why people are always suggesting it. People have one cellphone. Making your library of software inaccessible to people because they already have a phone (or prefer the iPhone, or whatever) is a terrible business strategy.

Now, releasing a phone that is compatible with a non-phone platform's games, that could possibly be viable, though I don't see the benefit to Sony in positioning the platform this way.

I want ONE portable device to carry around. So far, I have my Iphone, PSP, and DSi. My pockets become a bit cluttered. People keep bitching about the price for the PSP, an easy way to greatly reduce the cost of the console itself is to attach it to a two year extension with service providers.

thuway said:
I want ONE portable device to carry around. So far, I have my Iphone, PSP, and DSi. My pockets become a bit cluttered. People keep bitching about the price for the PSP, an easy way to greatly reduce the cost of the console itself is to attach it to a two year extension with service providers.

Why do you need to carry two gaming devices? Why not just choose a game you want to play, and then carry that system?

thuway said:
You can always get a cool fanny pack.

thuway said:
I want ONE portable device to carry around.

Sure, but think about it beyond that short-term desire.

There are competing companies in the handheld gaming device space. It is extremely likely that the number of such companies will increase with time, not decrease. All of them are going to have different games and features to their name. All of them are going to rely, to some degree, on retail sales and on sales to kids and teenagers to succeed.

Right now, a PSP doesn't really compete with anything Apple makes, despite its media-playing capabilities; it's primarily a game machine, and can succeed (or fail) on the strength of its games alone.

By being, by default, a phone, this hypothetical PSP2 now falls into full conflict with both the DS2 and the iPhone. People will only pick it if they think its games will be better than the DS2 and its phone features superior to the current iPhone (and Android phones, and Windows Mobile and Blackberry stuff, etc. etc.) I fully intend to pick up the future PSP2 eventually, without even knowing anything about it yet, because I love handheld gaming -- but I wouldn't buy one of these because I already have a phone, and already know what I intend to upgrade to after this one. That trap is going to catch a ton of people and drastically reduce the product's ability to sell.

Again, it'd be fine, I guess, to make a PSP2, and then also a phone that incorporates PSP2 technology, but I don't think the market for that is actually very big.

Gwanatu T

Borman said:
The Go always seemed like a stop-gap device anyway, so I wouldnt be terribly surprised by a PSP2

Honestly the Go seems like the GBMicro to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PSP2 next year by any means, and I think PSPGo is probably more a testing the waters of an all DD system for Sony, and will probably determine whether or not PSP2 uses discs or not.

CrankyJay said:
Just curious, anyone in this thread and says the Go is dead, or a stop-gap device: Do you own it?

Why would I knowingly spend $250 on something I am convinced is an overpriced, DOA failure?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev2001a said:
be doable or should they carry the PowerPC core around?
The only reason PPC made it to Cell was to keep IBM happy. I wouldn't know what kind of engineering effort it is to change the layout, but Toshiba already did it in Spurs engine IIRC.

But again, the real question is power envelope of such a setup, can SPEs be competitively power efficient for mobile device? We know Mips can (and obviously Arm).
And Intel puts Arms into their mobile designs, so there's no chance of x86 making it anywhere near PSP2 IMO.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Download only would be a horrible mistake. I hope Sony doesn't take this route with the PSP2.

mckmas8808 said:
Download only would be a horrible mistake. I hope Sony doesn't take this route with the PSP2.
I think download only with psn download kiosks at stores would be fine. At the end of the day I think most people don't like carrying around UMDs/Carts. IMO its part of the reason why CFW/R4s and piracy has spread like wildfire on PSP and DS.

I don't care what they do with PSP2 as long as it has a decent battery life and no silly loading times. Those killed the PSP for me :( And I loved it as a machine, too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
infinityBCRT said:
I think download only with psn download kiosks at stores would be fine. At the end of the day I think most people don't like carrying around UMDs/Carts. IMO its part of the reason why CFW/R4s and piracy has spread like wildfire on PSP and DS.

Yeah, all those people buying DS software sure hate carrying those carts around.

Gwanatu T said:
Honestly the Go seems like the GBMicro to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PSP2 next year by any means, and I think PSPGo is probably more a testing the waters of an all DD system for Sony, and will probably determine whether or not PSP2 uses discs or not.

sony has a history of experimenting in the market - like the PSX in japan.

PSPgo is a transitional device - never intended to expand the life of the platform, but to forge out a path to DD only.

and... anyone who doesn't want a DD-only future.... well, better stop consuming entertainment media full stop... in few years there will be no other way to get it.

NinjaFusion said:
sony has a history of experimenting in the market - like the PSX in japan.

PSPgo is a transitional device - never intended to expand the life of the platform, but to forge out a path to DD only.

and... anyone who doesn't want a DD-only future.... well, better stop consuming entertainment media full stop... in few years there will be no other way to get it.

So you think all those game shelves, dvd and blu ray movies in stores will just disappear in a few years? It'll take a lot longer for something like that to happen.

Kintaro said:
Yeah, all those people buying DS software sure hate carrying those carts around.
Tiny carts are the way to go, and I'll bet that after the PSP Go's inevitable failure, the PSP 2 will have games released as both downloads and tiny memory card-size carts, like DS games. I really don't see digital download-only being the future, unless they come up with a way to sell your downloaded games back.

Raistlin

FoxSpirit said:

If this is a concern, why wouldn't you just back up the games to a CD, DVD, or HDD?

squicken

mckmas8808 said:

I would be shocked if Sony did anything other than try to duplicate the iPod Touch, or even the iPhone. Nintendo will stick with carts b/c of the kid demographic that butters their bread, but Sony will definitely be going the DD route.

What really needs to happen is for carriers to lift the 50 MB cap. There's no reason a T-Mobile store can't be the place for buying your PSP2 instead of Gamestop, along with the carrier getting a slice of the game revenue.

FoxSpirit said:

Why anyone would COUNT on Steam to magically unlock all of your games if they go belly up is beyond me. If they were going out of business, the LAST thing that they would be concerned about is if you could play your games. Add to that the fact that the content is owned by many differnet companies, all of whom would prefer that you buy the game again.

H_Prestige said:
Would it be feasible to go with with memory stick pro duo as the physical format for psp2?
I could see something like this happening, with in-store kiosks, a-la Famicom Disk System, where you can download or somehow re-sell games to Sony.
squicken said:
I would be shocked if Sony did anything other than try to duplicate the iPod Touch, or even the iPhone. Nintendo will stick with carts b/c of the kid demographic that butters their bread, but Sony will definitely be going the DD route.
The Iphone gaming market, though nice, is really not comparible to the DS / real video game market. Sony doesn't want to compete with Apple as much as they want to compete with Nintendo, so they will also focus on the "kid" demographic.

Tobor

squicken said:

What really needs to happen is for carriers to lift the 50 MB cap. There's no reason a T-Mobile store can't be the place for buying your PSP2 instead of Gamestop, along with the carrier getting a slice of the game revenue.

I could see them making a phone version and a non-phone version, no different than Apple. Built in pre-paid cell data like the Kindle would be fantastic, but not economically feasible due to the increased data usage.

longdi

Banned
I doubt PSP2 will be as powerful as PSP for its time. Why like that? Because Sony is in financially bad shape to make big engineering projects and Ken the man is not around. Forget about SPEs or SGX999 something something in your PSP2. Frankly a next gen handheld need more ram and a user friendly interface than Crysis graphics. PSP2 should be about the Wii level.

Gwanatu T

CrankyJay said:
Just curious, anyone in this thread and says the Go is dead, or a stop-gap device: Do you own it?

No, but I do own a PSP which does everything the Go does and more, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
MBX technology would've allowed the PSP to have had better graphics performance and functionality, longer battery life, a more affordable price tag, and allowed it to release ahead of the DS.

Sony is going with PowerVR this time, so this new system will be more impressive for its time.

The Atom CPU core has brought x86 to mobile for Intel. They sold off their XScale unit to Marvell a few years ago, so Intel don't use ARM designs anymore.

Top Bottom