• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Pro to be announced next week; New First Party Games to be shown end of September

Three

Has this been posted anywhere. Look what's inside the circle.
SONY-PS5-PRO-TEASER.jpg

Kokoloko85

I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
You dont need to wrap it around your head.

The ones who want to buy it know why. Performance mode and graphical modes will improve and RT at times. Supposedly all games that already ran at 60FPS will get a in increase in graphics or RT. And so on for graphical/RT modes. Dragons Dogma should be 60fps etc

welshrat

I still can not wrap my head around why a PS5 Pro is even necessary, when most games being made don't even take advantage of the current hardware. Sure, as a PC owner, more powerful hardware can be nice, but nothing I've played on PS5 has made me said "man, I wish this system was more powerful".
But this here is exactly why pro consoles now exist. Choice, for those that are happy stick with what you have for those that aren't and want more power and effects the pro exists. Personally I am very happy with this option and will be preordering as soon as I can.

T-Cake

Come and subscribe to my PonyFans so I can buy a PS5 Pro. You'll see me playing with my Quickshot joystick and more!

King Dazzar

A 4080 is not going to be playing Black myth or Star Wars at 1440p@120fps. And if you have to start failing back all settings to sub-console levels... then what is the point?
You dont need sub-console like settings to get 120fps at 1440p on the RTX4080.

Here's how PS5 version looks like in performance mode (upscaled 1080p, medium/high settings, + FSR FG). The game runs at 60fps.

25d10d16247e97b0712c.jpg

And here's how Black Myth Wukong runs on my PC, I get 283fps on average using PS5 like settings (high settings), upscaled 1080p (DLSS quality) + FG

Rnqy6Nm.jpeg

The same settings but at 1440p, 190fps

mHVK8N7.jpeg

1440p DLSS Quality, very high settings, fullRT, 115fps

8SP74Fs.jpeg

4K DLSS performance + FG, very high settings, fullRT, 85fps

b1-Win64-Shipping-2024-08-30-12-52-30-605.jpg

Image quality at 4K DLSS performance

b1-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-01-00-25-08-987.jpg

4K DLSS Performance photomode

b1-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-01-00-07-05-687.jpg

b1-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-01-00-30-46-747.jpg

b1-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-01-00-07-23-950.jpg

My RTX4080S offers high refreshrate experience even at 4K, but of course the most demadning RT games may require AI (DLSS upscaling and FG).

Hellblade 2 4K DLSS Quality + FG, max settings

Hellblade2-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-02-03-23-56-366.jpg

Hellblade2-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-02-03-03-45-853.jpg

Callisto Protocol 4K FSR Quality, max settings including RT

JwuDHG4.jpeg

The-Callisto-Protocol-Win64-Shipping-2024-08-31-23-57-05-904.jpg

As you can see, the 4080S is quite a bit faster than the PS5. This GPU can run PS5 / XSX ports at high refresh rates even at 4K, although you will have to use DLSS and FG in the most demanding RT games.

Last edited:

Archie501

Neo Member
Oh man. Does that mean I cant just take out my 4tb drive from my PS5 and have the Pro rediscover them? Is it all going to have to be fresh downloads?
No, i ended up getting a second PS5 and removed the NVMe SSD from the old one and installed into the new. It recognised it without issue, no need to re-download anything. I very much doubt the PS5 pro will not be able to do the same thing.

welshrat

No, i ended up getting a second PS5 and removed the NVMe SSD from the old one and installed into the new. It recognised it without issue, no need to re-download anything. I very much doubt the PS5 pro will not be able to do the same thing.
Ok that's news to me. Will be interesting if they have sorted the firmware to allow this.

cormack12

Gold Member
That's cool if so, but I thought they were locked to the device with encryption keys (to prevent dumping of game files).

Did you need to log into the new PS5 first or anything?

And games aren't magically going to run or look better

Developers still need to put out an update

Most PS5 games are NOT locked to 30 fps.... So the moment you run the "perfomance mode" on the Pro it will run better for sure without any patch

Now if they want to improve resolutions and effects that's a different story

That said, some game have Dynamic Resolution Scaling and on Pro games could probably keep the highest end of the range without any patch...

I'm not sure

King Dazzar

Thanks. Cool, that's what I would have hoped. I'm on fast connection, but yeah 3tb+ of games would have taken a while.
Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

PS4 Pro didn't even have boost mode enabled when it launched. 99% of PS4 games played on the Pro at launch performed the exact same as the OG PS4. People like to buy shiny new stuff.

Ronin_7

Here's how PS5 version looks like in performance mode (upscaled 1080p, medium/high settings, + FSR FG). The game runs at 60fps.

25d10d16247e97b0712c.jpg

And here's how Black Myth Wukong runs on my PC, I get 283fps on average using PS5 like settings (high settings), upscaled 1080p (DLSS quality) + FG

Rnqy6Nm.jpeg

mHVK8N7.jpeg

8SP74Fs.jpeg

My RTX4080S offers high refreshrate experience even at 4K, but of course the most demadning RT games may require AI (DLSS upscaling and FG).

JwuDHG4.jpeg

As you can see, the 4080S is quite a bit faster than the PS5. This GPU can run PS5 / XSX ports at high refresh rates even at 4K, although you will have to use DLSS and FG in the most demanding RT games.
Everyone's shocked a 4080 is faster than a Ps5.

Mr.Phoenix

25d10d16247e97b0712c.jpg

Rnqy6Nm.jpeg

mHVK8N7.jpeg

8SP74Fs.jpeg

JwuDHG4.jpeg

And now we are just going around in circles.... The argument you are making now is different from what I initially responded to.

Ok. How about this...(cause this kinda argument always gets annoying).

Your 4080s is a $1000 GPU. That is just for the GPU alone. And somehow... even with your understanding of that kinda hardware, you expect something that retails for around $500-$600, and that comes with a GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU, and a controller... all in that price, to somehow eke out performance that can even get to about half of what your PC can do?

Does that sound even remotely reasonable?

You understand the notion of relative performance:cost right?

A better argument, or hell... a more reasonable approach, would be to take the PS5pro at whatever price it launches at, and look at what it would cost you to build a PC that can match it. That... is where your expectations should at the very least start. If you are not doing that, then whats the point of such conversations? Really.

Imtjnotu

PS4 Pro didn't even have boost mode enabled when it launched. 99% of PS4 games played on the Pro at launch performed the exact same as the OG PS4. People like to buy shiny new stuff.
but games 5 months before release were required to have a Pro mode on launch day if submitted after july......

and the boost mode came out 3 months after the pro's release.....

Radical_3d

but games 5 months before release were required to have a Pro mode on launch day if submitted after july......

and the boost mode came out 3 months after the pro's release.....
Space Marine 2 with the quality mode at 4K. That’s all I want.

Dafegamer

Funny how Sony said themselves that this is a slow year for them, yet they released the highest rated PS5 exclusive (higher ranked than GOW Ragnarok on Metacritic) I bet those actually Blockbuster games next year won't reach the acclaim of Astro Bot, which is crazy. Being higher ranked than TLOU2 even is still mind-blowing to me lol 😆

kevboard

Space Marine 2 with the quality mode at 4K. That’s all I want.

that's not gonna happen. the PS5 version can go all the way down to 1080p in quality mode.

the jump from 1080p to 1440p is already nearly doubling the GPU load.

so at best you'll get maybe either a locked 1440p mode or a dynamic mode that tries to get to 4K, but will go all the way down to 1440p or below in stressful situations.

in order to get a mode that runs close to 4k at all times with the same settings, you would need essentially a GPU that is 40 TFLOPS (without dual issue PF32), which would be a 7900XTX class chip.

the improvement in rasterisation of the Pro is way below that, and even below the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro.
and that system already was only able to double the resolution of the base console.
with an even smaller jump in GPU power, you will not even come close to doubling res, let alone quadruple it to reach 4k in that game

the PS5 Pro will clearly follow the same concept as the PS4 Pro.
Getting a 4K-like image without rendering at 4k.

the PS4 Pro did that by focusing on Checkerboard rendering. with CBR you can double your resolution with only a small quality difference compared to native resolution.
so in order to get there they had to double the GPU performance to reach a native resolution close to 1440p, and then have enough overhead to use CBR to get to 4k

the PS5 Pro will do the same with PSSR.
PSSR, and other temporal reconstruction methods (FSR, TSR, DLSS) are designed to triple or quadruple the internal render resolution with only a small quality hit.
this means the PS5 Pro will need less of an increase in GPU power to reach its goal than the PS4 Pro did. it simply needs extra grunt to run PSSR and stabalise performance.

PSSR will be the Pro's trump card, but it won't even come close to actually running something like Space Marine 2 at 4k

Last edited:
And now we are just going around in circles.... The argument you are making now is different from what I initially responded to.

Ok. How about this...(cause this kinda argument always gets annoying).

Your 4080s is a $1000 GPU. That is just for the GPU alone. And somehow... even with your understanding of that kinda hardware, you expect something that retails for around $500-$600, and that comes with a GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU, and a controller... all in that price, to somehow eke out performance that can even get to about half of what your PC can do?

Does that sound even remotely reasonable?

You understand the notion of relative performance:cost right?

A better argument, or hell... a more reasonable approach, would be to take the PS5pro at whatever price it launches at, and look at what it would cost you to build a PC that can match it. That... is where your expectations should at the very least start. If you are not doing that, then whats the point of such conversations? Really.
This disscussion is not about the cost, because obviously the PS5 is much cheaper compared to the high end PC.

You said the RTX4080 would have to run games at sub-PS5 settings to get 120fps, so I showed you the reality. This card can easily run PS5 ports at much higher resolutions and higher settings and it will still get 120fps. At comparable settings, my RTX4080S was 4.7x faster in Black Myth Wukong, and I'm not even taking into account the lower image quality on the PS5 (AMD FSR and FG are no match for DLSS).

Radical_3d

that's not gonna happen. the PS5 version can go all the way down to 1080p in quality mode.

the jump from 1080p to 1440p is already nearly doubling the GPU load.

so at best you'll get maybe either a locked 1440p mode or a dynamic mode that tries to get to 4K, but will go all the way down to 1440p or below in stressful situations.

in order to get a mode that runs close to 4k at all times with the same settings, you would need essentially a GPU that is 40 TFLOPS (without dual issue PF32), which would be a 7900XTX class chip.

the improvement in rasterisation of the Pro is way below that, and even below the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro.
and that system already was only able to double the resolution of the base console.
with an even smaller jump in GPU power, you will not even come close to doubling res, let alone quadruple it to reach 4k in that game

the PS5 Pro will clearly follow the same concept as the PS4 Pro.
Getting a 4K-like image without rendering at 4k.

the PS4 Pro did that by focusing on Checkerboard rendering. with CBR you can double your resolution with only a small quality difference compared to native resolution.
so in order to get there they had to double the GPU performance to reach a native resolution close to 1440p, and then have enough overhead to use CBR to get to 4k

the PS5 Pro will do the same with PSSR.
PSSR, and other temporal reconstruction methods (FSR, TSR, DLSS) are designed to triple or quadruple the internal render resolution with only a small quality hit.
this means the PS5 Pro will need less of an increase in GPU power to reach its goal than the PS4 Pro did. it simply needs extra grunt to run PSSR and stabalise performance.

PSSR will be the Pro's trump card, but it won't even come close to actually running something like Space Marine 2 at 4k
Yeah. I ment with PSSR, not native. But you’ve explained it better.

Zacfoldor

I sincerely hope those 3 bars in the console design have some kind of an actual function , because they look so unnecessary to me esthetically... Unless Sony signed a contract with Adidas.

The original model, despite it's a big ass console, still looks slick to me. Sony sure has a kink for uglifying the next iterations of their consoles. First the PS3, PSP, PS4 and now the PS5.
Helps the modular disc drive blend in.

Looking at the slim, I don’t have one, but I assume that it has a flat face plate for digital, and then when you put the Drive on there, you put the fat face plate there. Because these plates don’t run the entire length of the console, there’s going to inevitably be a line there.

I assume.

Honestly, because of the lines, I’m thinking even if there are two models, the model that comes with the drive will basically just be a modular drive in the box, instead of sold separately. I already bought two of the slim modular drives, just in case that is the one they use.

I think the lines clue us in on what’s happening with the disc drive, if we look at what they did with the slim.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Maybe they’ll announce some title they’ll be updated for 4k 60fps like ff7 remake 2.

Frwrd

Presentation Begins...

"We brought the OG's back together"

Zipper Interactive Logo appears...

*Middle Eastern sounding music blended with heavy riffs blares*

Voiceover "You have been downtrodden, you have been abandoned..."

MAG REMASTER, 120 fps, 8k native.

Crowd goes insane, smashes the place up...Hulst gets hung drawn and quartered.

PS5 Pro sells 20 Concordillian units.
I'd pay double for that.

Audiophile

If they do a 30th Anniversary PS5 & PS5 Pro, I wonder if they'll follow the lead of the 20th anniversary PS4 OG and go with PS1 colours or if they'll go with the PS2 aesthetic this time.

Top Bottom