• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sanders campaign requests removal of 2 DNC members, threatens to halt convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Holy shit, I have a feeling Trump will take advantage of this disarray any time now.

He already is. He's needling BernieOrBust crowd with tweets and press statements about how Crooked Hillary and the DNC are stealing the nomination, how Bernie should run as an independent, etc. He's making not-so-subtle overtures to Bernie supporters to get them to his side in November -- which is much easier to do if he doesn't debate Bernie and make the contrast between the two of them clear as day.

aka "Bye Felicia"

Aka
2013_%2B6_22_15_56.gif

GutsOfThor

Good on the DNC. Hopefully Obama, Biden, Senators and House members come out and endorse her on the 7th or the day after to completely shut him out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually am not sure I am good with the DNC saying no.

1) this doesn't matter. I mean the platform really doesn't matter
2) the sooner Bernie gets his meaningless little demands and goes away the better

The only real damage is, I guess, if Cornell West puts "Obama is a n____" into the platform or, more likely, that the Democratic party is neutral on Israel/Palestine or that we think something about chemtrails

2) the sooner Bernie gets his meaningless little demands and goes away the better

The only real damage is, I guess, if Cornell West puts "Obama is a n____" into the platform or, more likely, that the Democratic party is neutral on Israel/Palestine or that we think something about chemtrails

Saying yes only encourages Sanders to go for more and more.

Also it would have thrown Barney Frank underva bus amd fuck that. He's the real progressive who got shit done

kirblar

His demands are never going away. He wants them to make him the nominee, no matter what that takes. He's true to his philosophy.

Do you think if they had bent to these demands, it would actually have lead to a more peaceful convention?

Y2Kev

I'm not sure I actually believe that. I still don't believe he's bought his own hype. I don't think he really thinks he's going to be the nominee.

Do you think if they had bent to these demands, it would actually have lead to a more peaceful convention?

I think we need to do whatever we can do to get a Sanders concession before the convention.

Anything that could give Sanders more control over the Convention Rules committee isn't exactly harmless. All of this was the result of a huge, unprecedented concession the DNC gave him in the first place. Is there any evidence he will stop asking for more?

Y2Kev

Well I think the DNC thinks there is value is coaxing Sanders down from his ledge and his supporters with him without much ruckus. If they didn't, they would have told him to fuck off already. They haven't. They're trying to deescalate the situation obviously.
Saying yes only encourages Sanders to go for more and more.

Also it would have thrown Barney Frank underva bus amd fuck that. He's the real progressive who got shit done

Frank would be fine doing whatever necessary to get Hillary elected.

Considering this is after they've already given him some concessions and that he's responded this way, there's no guarantee that he'd stop here or wouldn't continue to use threats to get more bullshit. The DNC should just nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Plus, betraying loyal Democrats for this piece of shit would personally disappoint me.

rucury

Banned
I haven't been following the primaries much (mostly here of GAF), can someone please sum up what Bernie's "downward spiral" is? Is it just that it's impossible for him to be the presidential candidate and so he should just give up and sit down now? I mean, shouldn't you fight it out to the bitter end when you've got tons of very passionate supporters and upcoming rallies/conventions?

If so, I can't say I'm for the apparent Bernie backlash.

Y2Kev

The concessions they gave him were basically meaningless and not, IMO, fair. He should get a number of seats proportionate to the amount of delegates he won. They basically gave him a toy cell phone and told him to call 911.

I haven't been following the primaries much (mostly here of GAF), can someone please sum up what Bernie's "downward spiral" is? Is it just that it's impossible for him to be the presidential candidate and so he should just give up and sit down now? I mean, shouldn't you fight it out to the bitter end when you've got tons of very passionate supporters and upcoming rallies/conventions?

I think most simulations (http://election.princeton.edu/2016/03/26/no-path-forward-for-sanders/) give Clinton a >99% chance of winning. That said, there is still a chance Bernie can win so he can stay in. IMO he's just a crazy person.

I'm not sure I actually believe that. I still don't believe he's bought his own hype. I don't think he really thinks he's going to be the nominee.

I don't either. Which is what makes this all the more infuriating. He's not doing it because he thinks he has a chance. He just wants to cause as much trouble as he can on his way out.

Fuck losing with dignity. We've got followers to piss off. There are no bridges to be built when he's using that wood to stoke the flames of mistrust and hatred toward the DNC and its presumptive nominee.

Well I think the DNC thinks there is value is coaxing Sanders down from his ledge and his supporters with him without much ruckus. If they didn't, they would have told him to fuck off already. They haven't. They're trying to deescalate the situation obviously.
So, the sensible approach? Gosh, what an idea.
Let's hope Bernie is sensible about it, but I anticipate an angry message from him in a few hours about how corrupt the DNC is.

Cipherr

I think we need to do whatever we can do to get a Sanders concession before the convention.

I don't think this is in the cards. I really don't. Just because that is what would be best doesn't mean he is going to do it. Just looking at his actions and rhetoric, along with his history. He couldnt manage during the hacking incident, he could barely manage after the NV mess, and Hillary taking the nom in dominant fashion is going to be MUCH more difficult than those things he faced.

At some point I think they have to face that he has been telegraphing his likely behaviour the whole time. It's time to stop ignoring it and take it seriously. Bernie is not the type to get up publicly and say he failed to beat Hillary fair and square. He isn't the type to take the loss like that at all, let alone concede and back her.

That would come in HUGE contrast to everything he has shown us so far.

While I thought his demands were silly, I'm kind of inclined to agree here. Also, the platform does not matter!

lol Barnie actually was more liberal than Bernie when their voting records are compared.

QHmAPvU.jpg

THIS is hilarious.

The concessions they gave him were basically meaningless and not, IMO, fair. He should get a number of seats proportionate to the amount of delegates he won. They basically gave him a toy cell phone and told him to call 911.

That's never how that's worked. He's getting unprecedented influence. The party platform going forward is usually molded by the DNC in joint with you know the actual nominee.

Cipherr

Thats absolutely not what its about.

He can't win, but staying in is fine. People would however prefer that he doesn't straight up threaten to try and ruin the party, and the convention that is meant for party unity just because he is upset he lost. Stay in the race until the end if you want, but going Rogue and sabotaging everyone else because you are upset with the outcome is not cool.

Theres no real quick way to illustrate whats been going on when him lately, your going to have to google news on his late campaign gaffes to get a whole idea of what his campaign has been doing.

Y2Kev

I don't think this is in the cards. I really don't. Just because that is what would be best doesn't mean he is going to do it. Just looking at his actions and rhetoric, along with his history. He couldnt manage during the hacking incident, he could barely manage after the NV mess, and Hillary taking the nom in dominant fashion is going to be MUCH more difficult than those things he faced.

At some point I think they have to face that he has been telegraphing his likely behaviour the whole time. It's time to stop ignoring it and take it seriously. Bernie is not the type to get up publicly and say he failed to beat Hillary fair and square. He isn't the type to take the loss like that at all, let alone concede and back her.

That would come in HUGE contrast to everything he has shown us so far.

My perspective, which is based on no data, is that Bernie is not doing long term damage to the party and is trying to maximize his leverage to force the party to the left. That's A-OK. My read, which I have said before, is that his leverage will decline over time. If he wins California, he should try to force Clinton et al into negotiations ASAP for his support. If he loses it, he still should but obviously his leverage is minimized a little.

If he waits until the convention as the loser, he's a) less likely to get anything meaningful b) will likely not get a speaking slot as an antagonist and c) could risk his future in the Senate. I don't know that he cares about c because he's fuckold, but he's done a shit job getting his people into places of power so I think he does. I think his attempt now IS to get people into places of power that feel the way he feels and can meaningfully move the needle, so that's why he's so adamant about this.

I think the procedural challenge on the committees is embarrassing but it's all he can do because the DNC is not being fair about the number of representatives he should have on each body.

That's never how that's worked. He's getting unprecedented influence. The party platform going forward is usually molded by the DNC in joint with you know the actual nominee.

Yeah well this year isn't usual. Do you see the Republican pen holders playing keep away from El Trumpo, who has the power and likely WILL do very serious damage to the party platform and appeal? You deal with the hand your dealt. The DNC knows this and is trying. I do not think anyone GIVES A SHIT so I think they should give him the most he can possibly have without making Clinton less attractive to vote for in November.

I think the procedural challenge on the committees is embarrassing but it's all he can do because the DNC is not being fair about the number of representatives he should have on each body.

Again not how this works. Never has been. Never should be either. The point of a primary is to chooseva leader, the leader then gets to run the ship.

Justin

Can we all just say that the official party platform is a meaningless document after the convention is over. No one pays attention to it and individual democrats will run on whatever they want. Maddow had a segment pointing this out a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom