• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 remake out on 29th September this year according to an Australian store

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Yeah it's better than the original which is just James face!
XqBeTNZ.jpg
kGEdC7g.jpg

sowrry but the OG cover is better. it fits the overall art direction of the game and even the music. The new one is just generic and cringe.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I keep forgetting this is even a thing.

Calling it now, it's gonna tank. SH2 nerds will hate any change whatsoever and newcomers won't understand the hype at all. Who is this even for?
You don't even need any elaborate reasons to speculate why is this going to suck. The game being released by Konami is reason enough.

peronmls

Yeah it's better than the original which is just James face!
Silent hill 1-3 had great box art. Done buy a real artist with passion. I don’t know why people don’t like it. Especially when people get the face if the character wrong. SH2 remakes he cover is plain and boring. But millennials like less art for covers and titles for no good reason. I feel bad for graphic designers because people want plain shots with little artistic value like this.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
It's just so.. pedestrian. Low-effort, bland, uninteresting.

Ultimately it's only a boxart, but still.
I get it. There’s a post above that talks about millennial design sensibility and I kind of agree with it. It’s a trend I’ve noticed with new logos for instance. Low-effort, global, bland indeed.

It’s where we are. Better make something generic and functional than possibly alienating.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
XqBeTNZ.jpg
kGEdC7g.jpg

sowrry but the OG cover is better. it fits the overall art direction of the game and even the music. The new one is just generic and cringe.
I agree.

Its funny cause it literally looks like the new cover was done by a graphics artist. The focus isn't on anything conceptual to add any layers or depth to the cover, its like "here be da characters, dis da title......"

So....as a concept artist and illustrator, i think its very fucking clear that the old Konami crew simply had better artist. Looking at the new cover, looking at the recent trailer from MGS3 remake that literally comes across as fucking soulless (and if you guys know me, I fucking RARELY ever make some argument about charm or soul or any fucking shit that can't be measured)

Its simply that it comes across bland. That isn't to say the team currently doesn't care or something, merely that they may not be as good as the prior team's artist. A cover should feel like a timeless piece, something so good it can stand on its own as a poster, not simply a fucking screenshot of 2 characters and a title.... I'm not trying to be mean or a bitch, I really feel like any of us literally might be able to take a fucking screenshot of the game and place the title on it and do just as good as a job as what we are seeing here and that doesn't bode well for that team imho.

So I hope to god that is just some place holder type image.

In terms of the MGS3 remake trailer, I think it goes to show that having a cinematographer and really actually planning the trailer and treating it as its own thing really does have an impact on the work.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope it turn out good but in all honesty I have no hope for it…..especially the way Konami treating Silent Hills IP is past few years.

Top Bottom