• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

One thing (well another thing) I hated about silent hill 2 was how many times you had to hit an enemy before they died. Most enemies can't fight back once you start hitting them, so there is no reason it should take as long to kill them as it does.

I'd forgotten this but was playing it last night.

Yeah I noticed that too during my last playthrough. The combat is atrocious but hey it adds to the horror, according to fans.

Wow......

wow wow wow.......

The combat sucks soooo much :/

It was a HUGE mistake for me to start the game on hard!

Really, the combat is VERY CLUNKY... I'm suffering here ;_;

But having a blast with everything else.

Wow......

wow wow wow.......

The combat sucks soooo much :/

It was a HUGE mistake for me to start the game on hard!

Really, the combat is VERY CLUNKY... I'm suffering here ;_;

But having a blast with everything else.

Remember the guy in one of the Downpour threads that claimed he got a review copy extra early & said you go the first 2 hours without any combat? Is this accurate? Were we mislead by another false prophet/insider? :D

Was planning to wait a bit on this, but seeing such a positive reception has changed my mind. Grabbed a copy today, and I'll give it a shot once it gets dark.

Remember the guy in one of the Downpour threads that claimed he got a review copy extra early & said you go the first 2 hours without any combat? Is this accurate? Were we mislead by another false prophet/insider? :D

that was me! :)
and no, I felt it to be fairly long without actual combat. maybe I was slower than most people.

Cudder

IMG_20120313_123827.jpg

Screenshot_2012_03_13_12_38_02.png

I have the PS3 version in the plastic still, but I have Homecoming for 360 and would kind of like them on the same system, but I wanted to read impressions from the 360 version first before I open it in case I want to exchange.

So I woke up, ate and walked out to buy this game only to see that everything was covered in a thick, white fog. This is a sign.

we've had nothing but shitty weather since September, and I mean nothing but shitty weather, and today it's sunny and in the 70's. what a load of shit.

more like Silent Hill Sunshine

So I woke up, ate and walked out to buy this game only to see that everything was covered in a thick, white fog. This is a sign.

I rented SH1 on a Friday night back when it first released.

I played for a few hours on Saturday morning (as I had gotten completely hooked on the game), I went outside to take a break, and low and behold, thick fog everywhere. I didn't see any cars going by or any people. Absolutely bizarre.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I played for a few hours on Saturday morning (as I had gotten completely hooked on the game), I went outside to take a break, and low and behold, thick fog everywhere. I didn't see any cars going by or any people. Absolutely bizarre.

First time I played SH1 I was all alone at home, and it was winter, which means it was pitch black outside. I shut off all lights in the living room and kitchen, so the only source of light was the TV screen. The game freaked me right the fuck out, and I eventually had to stop playing to calm down.

Konami, what the fuck is up with the EU release date? Two weeks later? Is this 2001?

Took them five months for Homecoming, so they are improving! Although you could argue just never releasing homecoming here like they didn't in Japan would have been a better option.

I should be getting my copy this afternoon but I'm hearing this game has no surround sound! That can't be right can it?

What does the back of the box say?

KorrZ

There's an achievement for not killing any of the monsters so it has to be possible to avoid the combat completely. Bringing back that Silent Hill 1 & 2 strategy of running away from everything when I play haha.

Haha, can you seriously lose your flashlight? My friend is freaking out because he claims he lost his and is having to use a lighter he found for dark areas.

Had the same thing happen the first time I played SH2...

Maybe fog only ever happens when someone is playing a SH game for the first time?

pa22word

Which version?

Quick and easy stuff:

First thing's first: the game is not for the faint of heart. The combat is not bad, it's just extremely punishing and even the basic enemies can cause serious damage to you. They do this to try and make you rely more on flight vs fight, but some of the more stubborn players aren't going to getting this and are going to have a really rough time with the game.

The game defaults combat to easy for a reason, if you aren't accustomed to old school survival horror titles then play on easy.

Played about an hour of it. Intro was great overall, but I disliked a few things. SH fans are going to want to pay very specific attention to (really light spoilers)
the cash register in the diner
though :p

The music is wonderful, and this game demands you play it with a good pair of headphones to really soak in the finer details of the soundtrack. As for the Korn theme, you won't ever hear it unless you purposely leave the controller idle on the press start screen. Most people won't even know it's there, so can we please drop this shit and never slam the game for it again?

I personally LOVE the new otherworld effect.
The screen becomes slightly distorted and the FOV wanes in and out ever slightly, which makes the walls feel like they're breathing.
It's a really cool effect, and suits the series well.

Graphically, it's looking pretty eh thus far but it uses a lot of cool little effects to keep the atmosphere nice and thick. For people wondering about a full install it's 4.6 GBs

I'm actually looking forward to trying this in 3D. Hopefully performance isn't too poor.

Dude, unless you're on PS3 and it runs significantly better than the 360 version don't even bother. The game has slight framerate dips constantly outside, and unless they're cutting the already low res in half I wouldn't suggest it at all.

I've played about an hour. Atmosphere is oozing, just like SH2 for me. Combat isn't terrible, like the other older SHs, seems deliberate. Not a huge fan of the chase sequences, that's why I never bothered with SMem. Overall, a fantastic game so far. If combat is avoidable, then that's great news. I thought I read a few places there are times when it's not. Oh yea, and music is amazing. Honestly can't say I miss Yamaoka that much. It's refreshing.

UrbanRats

As for the Korn theme, you won't ever hear it unless you purposely leave the controller idle on the press start screen. Most people won't even know it's there, so can we please drop this shit and never slam the game for it again?

Is not the game's nor Vatra's fault, but it also helps illustrate how out of touch Konami is.

I'm actually looking forward to trying this in 3D. Hopefully performance isn't too poor.

i've got the 360 version on my desk here at work and will be trying it out on the HMZs tonight at some point. probably not until late on though.

i presume it uses reprojection like Batman and Gears 3 (being Unreal Engine) so performance shouldn't take a massive hit, even if the depth is limited and we get some reprojection artifacts.

anyways, if you haven't already seen it by then, hopefully you can trust my impressions of the 3D.

Quikies83

Haha, can you seriously lose your flashlight? My friend is freaking out because he claims he lost his and is having to use a lighter he found for dark areas.

Haha yeah if you have no melee weapon equipped you can hit O on ps3 and he will take it off his belt. You can then drop it. I believe you can easily miss it entirely as well as the walkie..

Top Bottom