• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Cudder

lmao

Turns out the Gamestop pre-order code is just a number you type into the in-game keypads!

So here you go for the items. The lockers are located at:

Entrance of Silent Hill after the Devil's Pit
House with Basement on Campbell St.
Pearl Creek Subway (off Laymond Ave.)

Code is 171678

KAOz

Short bus special
Haha yeah if you have no melee weapon equipped you can hit O on ps3 and he will take it off his belt. You can then drop it. I believe you can easily miss it entirely as well as the walkie..

Really?

Shit, this sounds better and better! 30th can't come soon enough. Love everything I've heard so far. Except for the potential surround sound issue.

But that little flashlight fact just made it ten times better.

pa22word

lmao

Turns out the Gamestop pre-order code is just a number you type into the in-game keypads!

Code is 171678

Yeah my preorder code is exactly the same, lol. I was wondering if this was the case given how short it was in comparison to the regular DLC codes given out for the 360.

lmao

Code is 171678

Oh wow, thanks.
KuGsj.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yeah, it's possible to lose your flashlight and other lights, as well as it's possible to go through the game without picking up a radio at the beginning (it's right next to the bus, but I missed that my first time).

randomwab

Haha, can you seriously lose your flashlight? My friend is freaking out because he claims he lost his and is having to use a lighter he found for dark areas.

The game takes it away from you for a while early on. It's probably what he's talking about. You get another eventually, though.

randomwab

lmao

Code is 171678

Just got to the first of these. Excellent!

KAOz

Short bus special
My receiver is reporting Multi Channel Input 7.1 right now, so it definitely supports it (PS3 version)

Really? So, should be no trouble with 5.1 at all? (And yeah, since I am a sound-noob, shouldn't matter if using HDMI or Optical either right?)

Okey, game redeemed. Re-entering full on hype mode.

Cudder

Really? So, should be no trouble with 5.1 at all? (And yeah, since I am a sound-noob, shouldn't matter if using HDMI or Optical either right?)

Okey, game redeemed. Re-entering full on hype mode.

What's your setup like? If you want HD sound, you need to go through HDMI.

But optical can still carry compressed surround sound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
crisis averted

Ok, while it's true that my receiver is seeing 7.1, the actual audio does only seem to be mixed in stereo thus far. The intro sequences aren't using the rear channels nor the center. I'll report back with more info on this odd situation.

SRTtoZ

Having never played a SH game before, but loving the survival horror genre, would you suggest me buying SH: homecoming before downpour?

Having never played a SH game before, but loving the survival horror genre, would you suggest me buying SH: homecoming before downpour?

Don't play Homecoming as an introduction to the Silent Hill franchise; that's just a terrible idea all in all. It's not representative of what the games are about and what they do exceedingly well. If you want the quintessential Silent Hill experience from the very beginning, start with 2.

KAOz

Short bus special
What's your setup like? If you want HD sound, you need to go through HDMI.

But optical can still carry compressed surround sound.

Yeah, I use optical on my Ps3 to my reciever. But yeah, not that fussed about super-sound so. :p Just worried that it wouldn't support 5.1 (or any kind of proper surround) since it was reports of no 7.1 sound.

Silly worry, I know, but still a worry.

God no! Go for Silent Hill 1 for PSX or Silent Hill 2 and 3 with the HD collection. Homecoming is a steaming pile of shit.

Grisby

Sure, Homecoming is a fun game. Best combat in SH and some decent atmosphere.

You don't have to play it before Downpour though. No story stuff that links it. Be sure to play them all if you end up liking whatever entry you try as each offers something different and cool.

lmao

Code is 171678

Ah, wish I checked the thread a few minutes ago. A bit ahead, though only 10 minutes maybe. Think I'll go back.

So I played about two hours. Can't figure out if I didn't enjoy the
Devil's Pit because I'm slightly claustrophobic, or if another reason
. My biggest issue with the game so far is combat; the actual combat is fine, really, and definitely of the "Old-school" variety. The enemies are completely dull, unimaginative, and seem to spawn in weird ways. I'm so glad I'm playing on Easy. Does anyone know if weapons don't break on Easy? So far I haven't had a weapon break on me. Other than some minor performance issues/glitching, the game runs perfectly fine, and looks fantastic (oh dear what it would look like on PC). The main strengths of this game are the exploration, atmosphere, and so far, story. I really think this will rank up there with 1 and 2 for me. I can't commend the team enough for the focus on exploration, I love it. I honestly feel like combat is really out of place in the game; as they say, the unknown enemy is always the scariest. Maybe there will be some redeeming quality to it later on.

The SH mythos is so awesome and interesting; seems like a lot of thought really went into making this a sound entry in the series.

Did I miss the walkie? What?!

Lol! The impressions ive read from the Homecoming OT make it sound like the second coming of jesus, which is why I asked the question.

Some people blow it way out of proportion. For me, it's better than Shattered Memories, and about equal to Origins. Though Origins felt more like a SH game. Homecoming has some good things about it; the atmosphere is quite good in some areas, and as mentioned, the combat is decent if you like that sort of thing.

dark10x

This is some Unreal Engine amateur hour shit right here. Game is sub-HD (though smooth at least), tears constantly, and is generally unstable. It just FEELS awful to play and it certainly isn't a looker. I'm playing on PS3 but 360 footage appears to be similarly bad.

I have to admit, the first 30 minutes are a real downer for me simply because of these technical problems. It feels like a low budget game from 2007.

Honestly, Homecoming looks and feels better right out of the gate than this (much better, in fact). This looks like low quality generic UE3 with poor performance. Way to go, Vatra. :\

Still, the game itself seems interesting thus far and will keep me going. The fact that the performance profile reminds me so much of something like Saint's Row The Third is NOT a positive thing, however. At least Alan Wake on 360 still managed to feel good despite the low resolution and tearing.

I had to take this quick break here just to come to grips with these problems. Hopefully I can return a bit later with those issues in mind and actually enjoy it.

Dascu

Been watching some more playthrough videos. Combat and enemy design looks horrendous, but these puzzles look great. I just saw something that would fit in a Zelda game. Impressive work, Vatra.

RagnarokX

Yeah, it's possible to lose your flashlight and other lights, as well as it's possible to go through the game without picking up a radio at the beginning (it's right next to the bus, but I missed that my first time).

Huh? Radio? There's nothin' going on with that radio cuz it's apparently really easy to miss.

Ricker

The game is so so for me...about 2 hours in,stuck on a puzzle for now,even though I set them to easy lol,but it's the technical stuff that bother me on the 360...since I rented,I didn't bother to install the game so the drive is constantly searching for the data,creating huge stuttering,where the game freezes for 2 seconds and then just skips forward about 3 frames after...also a lot of screen tearing,especially in the early intro cut scene...usually games not installed aren't this bad so I guess I will try the installation and see if it clears that up.

Also I will use the highlight items in the option later because I walked around for 10 minutes and was going nowhere because I hadn't seen a small key on a table...

About where I am stuck,kinda early on:

It's for the puzzle from the panel in a wall at the diner,I got the code from using the wire on the kettle on the stove so the numbers show up on the window but that doesn't seem to work as one of the dials skips the even numbers when you rotate?

dark10x

Hot tip for PS3 version; play it in 480p. It's already sub-hd to begin with and uses some AA so it ultimately looks similar. Performance is much smoother, however, and tearing is nearly eliminated (at least thus far).

randomwab

The game is so so for me...about 2 hours in,stuck on a puzzle for now,even though I set them to easy lol,but it's the technical stuff that bother me on the 360...since I rented,I didn't bother to install the game so the drive is constantly searching for the data,creating huge stuttering,where the game freezes for 2 seconds and then just skips forward about 3 frames after...also a lot of screen tearing,especially in the early intro cut scene...usually games not installed aren't this bad so I guess I will try the installation and see if it clears that up.

Also I will use the highlight items in the option later because I walked around for 10 minutes and was going nowhere because I hadn't seen a small key on a table...

About where I am stuck,kinda early on:

It's for the puzzle from the panel in a wall at the diner,I got the code from using the wire on the kettle on the stove so the numbers show up on the window but that doesn't seem to work as one of the dials skips the even numbers when you rotate?

One of the dials moves two others when you adjust it. Note that one of the dials moves a number forward and one moves a number back. You need to set it up so that when you move the dial the changes the other two, they change to the numbers you need

So what's the general consensus for this Silent Hill?

That it has some technical problems and the combat still isn't good but that when it comes to atmosphere and story it's the best of the recent not-Team Silent installments.

Anyway, still on the fence about PS3 or 360. Not seeing any comparisons or anything.

UrbanRats

Hot tip for PS3 version; play it in 480p. It's already sub-hd to begin with and uses some AA so it ultimately looks similar. Performance is much smoother, however, and tearing is nearly eliminated (at least thus far).

A console game with graphical settings? Or am i missing something here?

Cv7m1.gif

I have seen some people report a bug where the saving icon appears pretty much constantly, do you have that?

Cudder

That it has some technical problems and the combat still isn't good but that when it comes to atmosphere and story it's the best of the recent not-Team Silent installments.

Anyway, still on the fence about PS3 or 360. Not seeing any comparisons or anything.

I'm guessing you have until nighttime to get those impressions? :p

Eterniti

Thanks! Story and atmosphere's what I look for in SH games and I actually enjoyed Homecoming and Shattered Memories so this will be a purchase for me. I'll probably get it for the 360 since I saw someone in here mentioned that there's screen tearing on both platforms and that it's not as bad on the Xbox.

So I managed to miss both the radio and the handgun. Great.

The combat is about on par with SH2, it's just as bad. Love the damage being visible on Murphy's body even though you have to pause the game and check statistics to see how low your health is.

Thanks! Story and atmosphere's what I look for in SH games and I actually enjoyed Homecoming and Shattered Memories so this will be a purchase for me. I'll probably get it for the 360 since I saw somewhere in here mentioned that there's screen tearing on both platforms and that it's not as bad on the Xbox.

Oh? Hm. I think I'm just going to watch Youtube videos on both consoles to see if I can point out any drastic differences.

Which system did you get it for?

Kind of curious about the differences.

PS3 - I probably would have picked it up on 360, but my wife has the 360 in our living room for Hulu/Netflix, so I'd rather not deal with all that. I typically play games at my desk. Anyway, I'm going to try that 480p trick - the game really doesn't run bad; sometimes there's weird effects glitches, and some very minor tearing. Still has me wondering how this would look in higher resolution :p

Overall, I'm pleased with the performance.

I should have checked Stats menu earlier, didn't realize it told you things like health, etc.

Cudder

PS3 - I probably would have picked it up on 360, but my wife has the 360 in our living room for Hulu/Netflix, so I'd rather not deal with all that. I typically play games at my desk. Anyway, I'm going to try that 480p trick - the game really doesn't run bad; sometimes there's weird effects glitches, and some very minor tearing. Still has me wondering how this would look in higher resolution :p

Overall, I'm pleased with the performance.

I should have checked Stats menu earlier, didn't realize it told you things like health, etc.

Yeah I noticed the stats menu when I booted the game up to get the install over and done with before I left for work, so that when I came home I could get right to it.

I pray to Samael that they included the same kind of stats screen for the HD collection, would make going for 10 star run on SH2 bearable.

Man, I'm super tempted to run out and get this. Think I'll grab Journey to tide me over, or maybe I'll go down to Blockbuster to appease my curiosity. The 480P trick to eliminate tearing is a real downer though. I don't mind frame drops much, but tearing is really annoying

Ricker

One of the dials moves two others when you adjust it. Note that one of the dials moves a number forward and one moves a number back. You need to set it up so that when you move the dial the changes the other two, they change to the numbers you need

Thanks I will try that...about the technical stuff,like I said,maybe installed later on on the 360,it will help but otherwise I loved the intro,the moody,bleak atmosphere,a shocking moment for me already in there,etc etc...and the first morphing scene,that's in all the SH mostly so its not`really a spoiler,and what insues was pretty good...graphics outside where nice,looked a lot like Alan Wake with the fog and all,they just look bland inside where I am so far...let's just say that if it wasn't for me quitting because of the puzzle,I would probably still be playing,story could get really good the way it's setting up.

Top Bottom