• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who is your favorite Digimon?

lillymon_5_by_elfkena-d3aoqd7.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem is the tone between the different forms. You have the nice, simple and friendly Rookies and in contrast completely over the top advance forms with weapons, lasers, capes and tits. Pokemons evolution at least look like, they're an "adult" version of the same design. In Digimon a cartoon cat turns into an oversexualized angel .... what?

Digimon evolution isn't linear.

Hmm, some of my favorites have already been named, except for:

i1LJSoj.jpg

Always getting shafted. :(

Oh no I disagree.

WereGarurumon gets shafted over MetalGarurumon.

A single episode for this badboy because Tai fucked over Agumon.

SkullGreymon_b.jpg

Skullgreymon scared the everliving shit out of me as a child, but I gotta say it's a pretty memorable design. Not even Dry Bowser is this terrifying.

Not sure if they ever did return to him; I was finished with Digimon after the third adventure, and when I saw the kiddos become Digimon that was just a big ol' fat "nope" from me. I am interested in the new series though that returns to the very first protagonists.

He appeared as a super mook of DarkKnightmon.

Breads

Banned
Correction. It was a dub thing.

... it's in the sub too so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

I disagree. Sure if you only view the anime, but their official art gives them much detail.

Roided Agumon for instance.

Agumon.jpg

Because that's what people remember. The official art who's style we only see in the card game! Not what we see in the anime or games.

Each Digimon series has its own thing. In Xros Wars it is outright stated that Digimon have gender and can have babies.

Fair enough. Though I do think Xros Wars in particular is funny because at one point it combines protags of one series that only existed as a TV show and videogames in another series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
... it's in the sub too so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Because that's what people remember. The official art who's style we only see in the card game! Not what we see in the anime or games.

Fair enough. Though I do think Xros Wars in particular is funny because at one point it combines protags of one series that only existed as a TV show and videogames in another series.

Multiverse and stuff yeah.

And well we do see them in cards and stuff, and eventually they became a bit more... prominent later in the franchise lifespan.

Still annoyed WereGarurumon anime has no tail.

Surprisingly, I know this side of the game too.

Still to my original point, who cares?

Renamon & Rika DA BESS! PLEASE HOLD L'S!

It means we get to see Mervamon and Beelzemon babies.

Fbh

Super generic choice but Wargreymon

WarGreymon_(Re-Digitize)_b.jpg

It's an armored, humanoid dino mecha that shoots genkidamas (spirit bombs). The 10 years old kid in me can't get past how awesome that is

Syril

As an outsider, these look completely insane. The later stages look like a bunch of creatures from another dimension gorged themselves on human pop culture and tried to imitate it. Like the green rabbit looking thing played Final Fantasy VII and thought Barret was the coolest character ever with his gun arm, but thought why have one gun arm when you can have two?

The Shoutmon creature in the OP is actually a really cool concept though.

Oh no I disagree.

WereGarurumon gets shafted over MetalGarurumon.

Nah man, from what I've seen, people always hated that MetalGarurumon went back to a quadruped after WereGarurumon. MetalGarurumon X appears to be an acknowledgement of that.

Besides, WereGarurumon's a Perfect in a show that includes his Ultimate, of course he's not going to be as visible, neither is MetalGreymon.

Piers

Always liked Paildramon. The jogress evolution song being hype - and first used with him - certainly helped it.

And I still need to finish Tamers and everything that came after that.

My man.
All these guys, Paildramon still being my no.1.
Gabumon and his evolutions — WereGarurumon possibly my favourite.
Likewise with Agumon.
And Sakuyamon is rad. My favourite mega-form in season 3.

Edit:
Screw it. WarGreymon as well. :(
My socks blew the fuck off when he (And MetalGarurumon) first appeared. Sorry, Wolverine, he beat you on the claws.

HabeeNo

Angemon.

They say the first appearance is the one that counts the most, and boy, his first appearance was freaking amazing.

Wargreymon's my favourite in terms of being cool as hell when I watched Digimon, but I guess I kinda prefer Gomamon, but only because of how he is on the anime, same with Terriermon on Tamers. I could take or leave their designs though, I just liked their personality.

L Thammy

not renamon

it's renamon

Best Digimon & best character in the series!

There's a secret government list for people like this.

ezqp9.jpg

Anyway, my favourite is Impmon. There are a lot of Digimon who are just plain cool, but Impmon's the one that had the most sympathetic story in the anime, plus he's cute. Get rid of Agumon and make this guy the mascot.

dcqz7.gif

As an aside, I only realized a few years ago that Gabumon is actually a dinosaur under there.

bxo4g.jpg

L Thammy

As an outsider, these look completely insane. The later stages look like a bunch of creatures from another dimension gorged themselves on human pop culture and tried to imitate it. Like the green rabbit looking thing played Final Fantasy VII and thought Barret was the coolest character ever with his gun arm, but thought why have one gun arm when you can have two?

The Shoutmon creature in the OP is actually a really cool concept though.

This is actually canon in Tamers, if I recall. The Four Holy Beasts and the Devas deliberately took the forms of human gods to show their superiority over their own creators. I don't know if it was explained in the other series.

G-Fex

There's a secret government list for people like this.

ezqp9.jpg

Anyway, my favourite is Impmon. There are a lot of Digimon who are just plain cool, but Impmon's the one that had the most sympathetic story in the anime, plus he's cute. Get rid of Agumon and make this guy the mascot.

dcqz7.gif

As an aside, I only realized a few years ago that Gabumon is actually a dinosaur under there.

bxo4g.jpg

was that the digimon show with the special agents and then the people in the 3D sunglasses typing into the matrix computer things at some base?

man the entire series is ridiculous.

You making me want play a Digimon game again.....were getting Cyber Sleuth right?

Or should I jump on one of the DS rpgs?

Ive only played 2 of the PS1 games and that one dungeon crawling beat em up game that had co-op.

I'll admit to being somewhat indecisive about this one. There's quite a few Digimon I absolutely adore.

That being said, one of them is absolutely BanchouLeomon.

Actually, consider that Digimon, being digital entities made from data that are outright influenced by data from humanity that flows through digital devices. They weren't designed by some omnipotent god (there's no direct Arceus counterpart, the base framework in Digimon Tamers, at least, was developed as an open-source project by a bunch of university researchers, and only one of them continued to observe and guide the development of Digimon after the project was shut down, and ABC, ENIAC and Yggdrasil are never stated to have really influenced Digimon development) and the rules for their growth and evolution came together more or less randomly, without the constraints of nature. Hence why Digimon forms take influence from all sorts of things, many of them are quite humanoid, and why there is less direct visual continuity in many evolution lines, and why different universes in the franchise have different rules on certain things such as sexuality, the process of death and rebirth, and even evolution.

So, yeah, it's entirely possible that Gargomon had influence from the likes of Barret in his design, in-universe, which is kinda hilarious and awesome to me.

L Thammy

was that the digimon show with the special agents and then the people in the 3D sunglasses typing into the matrix computer things at some base?

man the entire series is ridiculous.

They also named everything after the Cthulhu mythos and had attack choppers. They should make a Digimon spinoff starring Yamaki.

Tamers is more ridiculous than you'd think. Poke around the writer's website, even just to look at the timeline he made for the show. It's full of references to real world computing history. This is some serious science fiction. Apparently there were some Tamers short stories aimed at adults as well.

I like the greymon line and digimon that look like knights so basically little Cameron122 lost his god damn mind in the movie theatre when Omnimon happened.

Piers

Actually, consider that Digimon, being digital entities made from data that are outright influenced by data from humanity that flows through digital devices. They weren't designed by some omnipotent god (there's no direct Arceus counterpart, the base framework in Digimon Tamers, at least, was developed as an open-source project by a bunch of university researchers, and only one of them continued to observe and guide the development of Digimon after the project was shut down, and ABC, ENIAC and Yggdrasil are never stated to have really influenced Digimon development) and the rules for their growth and evolution came together more or less randomly, without the constraints of nature. Hence why Digimon forms take influence from all sorts of things, many of them are quite humanoid, and why there is less direct visual continuity in many evolution lines, and why different universes in the franchise have different rules on certain things such as sexuality, the process of death and rebirth, and even evolution.

So, yeah, it's entirely possible that Gargomon had influence from the likes of Barret in his design, in-universe, which is kinda hilarious and awesome to me.

This still reads to me as "The designers saw something interesting and incorporated it" — it's a bit of a stretched explanation.
Like, WereGarurumon is practically a bastard child of Jon Talbain and Felicia. And MachGaogamon is a wacky Fang.

You making me want play a Digimon game again.....were getting Cyber Sleuth right?

Or should I jump on one of the DS rpgs?

Ive only played 2 of the PS1 games and that one dungeon crawling beat em up game that had co-op.

The DS games are a bit weak, but can still be fun.

There is also a fan translation for Digimon World: Re: Digitize, which is a sort-of virtual pet like the first Digimon World game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
latest

Kabuterimon, best of the OG. Stingmon and Beelzemon are 2nd and 3rd best respectively.

I stopped following Digimon a really long time ago, but my favorite Digimon at the time was Machinedramon.

8MOL0bv.gif

I'm seeing a lot of cool Digimon designs in here, but I absolutely love Machinedramon. It's like the designers saw Robosaurus, and decided "what if Robosaurus was a giant death machine?"

Top Bottom