• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter |OT| Better late than never; buy it now!

fernoca

4un9L.png

Developed by:
  • CyberConnect 2
Published by:
  • Namco-Bandai (Japan)
  • Nintendo (Europe)
  • Xseed Games (US)
Release Dates:
  • Japan: October 28, 2010
  • Europe: July 1, 2011
  • US: September 27, 2011

Official website (US)
Artwork Gallery (at NintendoArtwork.com -possible spoilers?-)

eaKwF.png

jaupq.png

Part of the 'Little Tail Bronx' series.
Spiritual sequel to 'Tail Concerto'

eaKwF.png

Packaging:
NTSC (US, Canada, etc.) version only. First shipment copies include:
  • Embossed box
  • Soundtrack CD, on its own jewel case
  • Aside the game (cover + case) with a 35+ pages full color manual

(Photos from Xseed's Twitter/Twitpic)

eaKwF.png

bxKEU.png

eaKwF.png

CmH5p.png

OSELW.png

RBCFI.png

vtcfJ.png

eT5ki.png

eaKwF.png

CO5OQ.png

6DX85.png

5RoRO.png

YKwMz.png

dFzDz.png

eYIDl.png

1Jq8C.png

0yK60.png

ZJnBO.png

9R89w.png

eaKwF.png

3CGTo.png

LlxKu.png

b1NOl.png

bZHHp.png

eaKwF.png

GKPcy.png

3uZ9c.png

yBAbO.png

Mrloc.png

YjtrG.png

0wOEb.png

Wiy0c.png

eaKwF.png

x1Ohf.png

Wallpapers:
WlPu8.png

NMaxl.png

fXVcP.png

Q2Jfg.png

Trailers:

GXhIt.png
sI1iA.png
xE0SB.png
FJ6p2.png
k5Zqw.png

UPefS.png
aoyzn.png
OYVP4.png
e03CN.png
mU7cS.png

4komas/comics:
4dawgs H-manga Translation Project; is translating the comics/4komas that were posted on the official (japanese) site. 21 has been translated so far, with more coming...

(Remember to read them from right to left)
2<----1
4<----3
(etc.)

LaVYS.png

eaKwF.png

Thread was more of a "last-minute" thing, so some thing may not look as clean as possible. Open to suggestions and to add more stuff, so let me know.

Nice thread! I posted my impression of the game here. After listening to the latest episode of RolePlayer's Realm I got the impression that the North American and the European translations are different. Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Tyeforce

Amazing game. I'm only about an hour or so into it right now, but it's just incredible. A lot of dedication and care went into making this game, you can tell. The game is beautiful and full of personality.

Jockel

Is it playable if you don't have a furry fetish? That's seriously keeping me from buying this game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Good OT!

Jockel said:
Is it playable if you don't have a furry fetish? That's seriously keeping me from buying this game.

Did you watch cartoons when you were young with animal people and say "is it watchable if you don't have a furry fetish"?

mavs

This game is really good. Seems like the opportunities for combat dry up after the awesome opening of the game, but it's scratching every itch I had for an RPG. It's no Escape Velocity, but it's as close as any game I've played in years.

Really pretty too. God damn I love sprites over 3D unfiltered textures. Best graphics style ever.

Jockel

Ookami-kun said:
Did you watch cartoons when you were young with animal people and say "is it watchable if you don't have a furry fetish"?
But on a more serious note, I have a tough time accepting animals as serious characters. They work out as comic relief or something, but I can't see myself relating to some comic wolves on an emotional level.

Eusis

Jockel said:
But on a more serious note, I have a tough time accepting animals as serious characters. They work out as comic relief or something, but I can't see myself relating to some comic wolves on an emotional level.
If it helps the game's fairly lighthearted and cartoonish for the most part, plus (slight spoiler, but it's sorta there on the manual and European cover and will probably be unmarked in this thread anyway)
the main character turns into a human, or at least gains the ability to turn into a human later on. It's almost like some inverse furry thing in that regard.

NEO0MJ

Jockel said:

Not even in lion king?!

Ventron

OK, the GAF talk on the game has convinced me to buy it.

Had to track down a PAL version though. Seriously, fuck region locking in every tight orifice.

eXistor

It's a fun little game, but when the second quest starts (after about 10 hours) I lost all interest. The game kinda get repetitive pretty quickly and it really doesn't help that they go all creepy fan fic on your ass towards the end of the first storyline.

Jockel said:
The game is worth it, but honestly, it does very much veer into that territory. I genuinely think the devs are into that shit.

Temrer

Neo Member
Bought this when it was out in Europe - such an awesome game :D

@Ventron - the only use for DSi is a photograph to identify your file
the picture shows up later in the game as a cool story feature, but it's not necessary for enjoyment
, so if you have a DS lite, you'll be fine :)

I'm not exactly a fan of realistic humanoid animal people, but I'm in love with this game's art style. Since Legends 3 won't be around, this looks like a good replacement to tend to the wounds Capcom left. CC2 is awesome, and I'm happy they were able to make a sequel to their beloved franchise. It really does look like a labor of love. Will pick up when I get a 3DS. I really like games where devs pour their hearts into a project, and it really shows in this game.

NEO0MJ

Would it be worth reading the plot of the old games or is it ok for a person who never played them to jump straight into this?

vitacola

Ventron said:
OK, the GAF talk on the game has convinced me to buy it.

Had to track down a PAL version though. Seriously, fuck region locking in every tight orifice.
Errm, it's a DS game. DS games are NOT region locked or did I miss something?

Don't forget! The Solatorobo box for the first pressing is embossed!

398048283.jpg

39 pg color manual too!

It's like a freaking special edition.

Mockingbird said:
Don't forget! The Solatorobo box for the first pressing is embossed!

39 pg color manual too!

It's like a freaking special edition.
Such a gorgeous release for a game that will probably have a shamefully small audience.

If anyone is on the fence about this, it's a perfect candidate for a game that will probably be incredibly rare a few years down the road.

Not that collecting and legitimate enjoyment of a game should necessarily intertwine, but I can see the second-hand value of this shooting through the roof for a small printing of a high quality game this late in the DS's lifespan.

Amazon, why haven't you shipped my copy yet? >:O

This game will mend my soul after Dark Souls, until I have a lucid waking dream and confuse the two's mechanics.

eXistor said:
It's a fun little game, but when the second quest starts (after about 10 hours) I lost all interest. The game kinda get repetitive pretty quickly and it really doesn't help that they go all creepy fan fic on your ass towards the end of the first storyline.
The tone does change considerably (for the worse imo) after the first half, yeah. I remember putting it in the backburner for a while about 13-ish hrs in before going back and finishing the game. Still I look very fondly on the overall experience. The game throws up enough variety with the quest system, and even though the handholding can be a little extreme, it does get better as you progress.

Ventron

vitacola said:
Sorry :( Do you own a 3DS or DSi?

Ah, damn. Almost ordered the US version because of the soundtrack ...

I have a DS Lite, but I want the game to be playable for others in Australia if I decide to sell it in the future.

eXistor said:

The game is worth it, but honestly, it does very much veer into that territory. I genuinely think the devs are into that shit.

Ugh, and I'm only partway through Chapter 3 and really enjoying the game. I hope I'm not forced to agree with any of this.

Boss Doggie

My shop still hasn't have it! And I'll be more angry if it's not the first print edition!

eXistor said:

Japan's culture is pretty much fine on those stuff, that's why stuff like that is pretty common in public. Google "kemono".

Jockel said:

Damn right! XD

Case in point - my avatar is Doggie Kruger and he's a badass mofo who made a rather boring show into an awesome show (Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger).

Keasar

Wow, you guys get alot sweeter boxart then we europeans did. :/
7EMKF.jpg

AND a Soundtrack CD, do we europeans get a shot at it too?

Razlo

Loving the game so far. Lots of personality and a well realized world. Reminds me of a cross between Mega Man Legends & Steambot Chronicles.

FoneBone

eXistor said:

Is this referencing how the main character
gets the ability to turn into a human later in the game?
I read that in one of the reviews, and it set off some alarm bells...

mjc

So anthropomorphic characters automatically = weird furry territory? Some of you guys think way too black and white.

FoneBone said:
Is this referencing how the main character
gets the ability to turn into a human later in the game?
I read that in one of the reviews, and it set off some alarm bells...
Kinda.
The second half is pretty much dedicated to that but any other further details and I would be spoiling the game, lol

duckroll

Nothing wrong with being a furry. Animals can be people too.
Or in the case of furries, people can (want to) be animals too!

Boss Doggie

I have to wonder though, what does touch screen do?

duckroll said:
Nothing wrong with being a furry. Animals can be people too.
Or in the case of furries, people can (want to) be animals too!

Those aren't furries, they're on a different niche. :p

They're called Otherkin.

Boss Doggie

I'm still wondering what the touch screen is for outside of being the the main screen.

duckroll said:
I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect I don't want to.

Was just a random reply from the blackened text, I don't even know what that other group does.

duckroll

Ookami-kun said:
Was just a random reply from the blackened text, I don't even know what that other group does.

I'm talking about furries dressing up as animals to engage in their fetish!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I won't be buying a copy because I already own the JP version, but I am trying to get my roommate to buy the US version and play through it. I wish it had come out earlier in the year, though. It would be easier to convince him.

Does the US/EU version still have the DSi enhancement? Because I found that to be a huge surprise when I finally found out what it was for.

Ken

thetrin said:
I won't be buying a copy because I already own the JP version, but I am trying to get my roommate to buy the US version and play through it. I wish it had come out earlier in the year, though. It would be easier to convince him.

Does the US/EU version still have the DSi enhancement? Because I found that to be a huge surprise when I finally found out what it was for.
Does it
take a picture of you and transform you to an animal
or something?

atbigelow

This game is probably tied with 4 Heroes of Light for my favorite graphics in a DS game. This game might nudge over it due to the 60 FPS, though.

It just feels like the devs tweeked and twisted to eek out so much style and personality from the locations and characters.

I think I'm in chapter 4 and it's quite enjoyable. Definitely glad I decided to get this while it was still possible.

Yuterald

I really want to get this, but I'm broke! I usually support XSEED day one, but I'm tight on cash for a bit and other games have taken a small priority. Loved Tail Concerto so I'm glade this turned out great. Will probably force my sister to xmas me this game and other cool DS games I'm behind on now like Kirby Mass Attack and inevitable Aliens: Infestation, lol!

fernoca

Well, resuming updates to the main post..I'm lazy so it will take a few...hours..or days? XD

Added locations and started adding characters.. :p

Top Bottom