• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Goldrusher

Bebpo said:
So uh, what is going to happen when you play a motion game and the controller starts shaking? Will your guy on screen start bouncing up and down with the vibration?

Someone needs to try MotorStorm with the motion controlled steering.

Bebpo said:
So uh, what is going to happen when you play a motion game and the controller starts shaking? Will your guy on screen start bouncing up and down with the vibration?

Provided you don't have the muscle structure of a newborn, nothing.

Evlar

Banned
Bebpo said:
The Wii rumble is very weak though.
It's not just the "strength" of the rumble (the amplitude) the prevents it from affecting the motion controls. It's also the frequency. Force Feedback generally operates at a much higher frequency range than even the most frantic hand-waggling, so any well designed application can filter out the force feedback as noise.

Bebpo said:
The Wii rumble is very weak though.

Wii rumble is pretty crappy.

on two of my wiimotes, the rumble basically feels like its revving up instead of just viberating, they werent initially like that, but they changed after a few uses.

dfyb

Banned
dissapointing that they didn't go with touchsense. but i guess this is what we get when lower end technology is leading the industry right now.

Flek

Banned
now that yesasia is screwing up there customers ..again... i will start ordering my dvds from places with good service like dvdfromkorea....and stop supporting stupid yesasia

Mmmkay said:
ds3.jpg

Where's the Touchsense cream filling? =(

Slavik81

The Sphinx said:
It's not just the "strength" of the rumble (the amplitude) the prevents it from affecting the motion controls. It's also the frequency. Force Feedback generally operates at a much higher frequency range than even the most frantic hand-waggling, so any well designed application can filter out the force feedback as noise.
That assumes the sampling rate, in turn, is at a significantly higher frequency than the force feedback. Which is probably is.
If somebody can shake their Wiimote/DualShock ~4x per second, you'd probably need to rumble at ~60x per second, and sample at ~600x per second. Just as a guess. Right?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dual shock rumble is fine, its actually the best out of last gen.

i really dont like rumble anymore though :p

Slavik81

What's this I hear about X and O being reversed on the Japanese dualshocks? I'm somewhat confused. They're labelled the same. Are they wired differently on the inside or something? I don't get it.

B-Ri

Slavik81 said:
What's this I hear about X and O being reversed on the Japanese dualshocks? I'm somewhat confused. They're labelled the same. Are they wired differently on the inside or something? I don't get it.

japanese games are programmed as X for cancel, O for confirm. US games flip it for bizzaro reasons. the controllers are fine.

marwan

Banned
Ragnarok10 said:
This is ignorant. Sony, release the damn controllers in the US.

yah i don't see the whole concept of waiting till spring '08 since there already games out that support it.

AstroLad said:
But I thought the "shock" was going to be a third motor. :(
You think you're disappointed; I was looking forward to finally having some some God damn electrical current in my controllers.

Talk about rumble being enough feedback >: /

Goldrusher

Slavik81 said:

Only the games (and console firmware / XMB) are programmed like that...

Japan: O = ok, X = not ok
Europe: X = ok, /\ = not ok
USA: X = ok, O = not ok

vercity82

PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) (Japan Version) 1 3 $69.99 $69.99 Ready and In-stock
PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (Ceramic White) (Japan Version) 1 3 $69.99 $69.99 Searching from Suppliers

Order Date (HKT): 10/11/2007 8:13:13 AM

Seems my black pad is in stock but still looking for the white to complete my order

Goldrusher said:
Only the games (and console firmware / XMB) are programmed like that...

Japan: O = ok, X = not ok
Europe: X = ok, /\ = not ok
USA: X = ok, O = not ok

I think Europe is the same as the US. At least where I live. Never used /\ for back / not ok.

KurowaSan

vercity82 said:
PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) (Japan Version) 1 3 $69.99 $69.99 Ready and In-stock
PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (Ceramic White) (Japan Version) 1 3 $69.99 $69.99 Searching from Suppliers

Order Date (HKT): 10/11/2007 8:13:13 AM

Seems my black pad is in stock but still looking for the white to complete my order

same here :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For me it still says "Searching from Suppliers".

In any case, thanks to DJMizuhara, I now have one en route, hopefully in time for Uncharted :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lightning said:
What do you expect? They have to supply the world, they are not going to do it for free. :lol

I will just wait for the Europe release before getting mine.

:D :D :D

I didn't suggest that they should do it for free. :lol I was suggesting that their price bump was a reaction to the prices at Yes-Asia and other competitors. :D Whether you think this is a rip-off or not is subjective and frankly immaterial to that point. :D I'm going to assume that there weren't "doing it for free" or even losing money at their earlier price point, fwiw though.

:lol :D

Top Bottom