• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reportedly very confident with Jade Raymond's Fairgame$

Boss Mog

So I forgot what this game was so I watched this trailer on Youtube

Looks absolutely abysmal. The comments seem to agree, surprised they haven't turned them off yet. This will flop hard if launched. Complete political and woke garbage.

I'm sure Elliott Moore is totally not Elon Musk :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Looks absolutely abysmal. The comments seem to agree, surprised they haven't turned them off yet. This will flop hard if launched. Complete political and woke garbage.

What can we even take away from that video?

For me its nothing and my dislike of it is being CGI and not gameplay

You "reveal" your game with CGI and you are already fighting an uphill battle with me

Boss Mog

You "reveal" your game with CGI and you are already fighting an uphill battle with me
Just reeks of communist propaganda: "Eat the rich". They want to take down "Elon Musk". The cast looks like they came straight out of the Saints Row reboot. The crappy "art" on the faces, the purple smoke. It's off the charts for me.

Bitstream

Jade Raymond is the person in the group project that got credit just for showing up. Her attractiveness isn't enough to propel an 'original' game if its just going to copy and paste mechanics from better ones. With the pushback on concord, gamers have shown that they're not just going to blindly support any slop that they put on the shelves.

Fbh

At least the concept looks a bit more interesting than Concord, with the idea of being a sort of competitive heist or something like that.
They still have time to change the style though, give it a more serious tone, make it so it looks like actual competing high tech crime gangs instead of Tiktok influencers with pink weapons shooting purple smoke at each other.

vanillaFace

Neo Member

the trailer/gameplay portion of it, starts with a black woman. Gaf should have a poll, I'm genuinely curious as to how many black women there are here. I don't care about any other metric, literally just want to know the number of black women vs not. How many black women in gaming in general? Do they need this much representation?

simpatico

Gold Member
Every public signal Sony has on this game is negative. Every piece of content released. Check YouTube dislike ratio and Twitter replies. Yet they keep funding it. Why?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amen! With games like RB6, Apex, Fortnite, Destiny 2, Warframe, PUBG, Tarkov, Overwatch, DotA, CS:GO, CoD,...

How do these companies think they'll be able to compete, make an impact? Long-term and short-term this seems nearly impossible with a similar product.

There is a reason why quality indie games and singleplayer games are popular. Give us more of that please. Less GaaS or Games as a Storefront.
How do they do it? Easy.

In board room meetings some marketing guy says the gaming industry is $200B of sales and the top gaas games are probably like $50B alone. Marketing dude says “well, if we can achieve just 1% of Fortnite success that leads to millions of sales”.

Then top brass asks how to do it.

Woke art director says make a game with DEI focus because white gamers will always be there to buy. But if you promote a woman or minority in the cover it’ll expand the reach and draw in sales from those demographics.

Slam dunk!

Nydius

Yep. The first 30 seconds are line-for-line regurgitations of the typical anti-capitalist mantra that is all over certain ideological echo chambers.

I don’t think the heist genre is as big as some people around here make it out to be. PayDay 3 and Crime Boss Rockay City were flops. I’ve seen very little that makes me think this won’t follow the same fate, no matter how many times they try and pander to the “eat the rich” crowd (doubly ironic since it’s being funded by a multibillion dollar company).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
the trailer/gameplay portion of it, starts with a black woman. Gaf should have a poll, I'm genuinely curious as to how many black women there are here. I don't care about any other metric, literally just want to know the number of black women vs not. How many black women in gaming in general? Do they need this much representation?
The thing is, i don't think that any well adjusted gaffer has an inherent problem with black women protagonists or them being face front in every trailer, even for games that have a character creation without fixed protagonist, you always get the strong black\dark skinned woman nowadays.

But we fucking know WHY it's always a black woman, so people are just annoyed by the intentions, not the end result.

Seeing a black woman protagonist is now just eye-rolling because it is so fucking predictable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing is, i don't think that any well adjusted gaffer has an inherent problem with black women protagonists or being face front in every trailer, even for games that have a character creation without foxed protagonist, you always get the strong black\dark skinned woman.

But we fucking know WHY it's always a black woman, so people are just annoyed by the intentions not the end result.

Seeing a black woman protagonist iùhas become eye rolling just because.
Yup. Minorities are fine.

Name one person who bitch and moaned about street fighter II. Or their sequels that brought more diverse characters from around the globe.

Key difference is capcom didn’t jam it down your throat. It’s cool characters kicking the shit out of each other. In theory it should be the same for a shooter game blasting each other with guns.

But one game is fun and isn’t in your face DEI heavy with pronoun and employees ranting about white people. The other game does.

vanillaFace

Neo Member
The thing is, i don't think that any well adjusted gaffer has an inherent problem with black women protagonists or them being face front in every trailer, even for games that have a character creation without fixed protagonist, you always get the strong black\dark skinned woman nowadays.

But we fucking know WHY it's always a black woman, so people are just annoyed by the intentions not the end result.

Seeing a black woman protagonist is now just eye-rolling because it is so fucking predictable.
I hear you, I'm not a racist. I was born in San Francisco, my parents are both immigrants, and I'm married to an immigrant myself. I'm just worn out from seeing it, as you've correctly described.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

My take away is it looks shit, I don't know how someone can make a trailer and have it feel so... unappealing, like I know games don't have to be made for everyone but this feels like it's being literally made for "EVERYONE" and therefore no one, same as Concord. It's the exact same vibe I'm getting.

This game will be a failure. The trailer is bad, the narrative of the trailer is bad. It is that hard to make a GAAS game that is dark and grimmy and not a rainbow? Normal Sony internally is saying that they are happy what they see, what they have to say after all the cancelations and the Concord flop? One thing is for sure, if I don't buy a game, it will for sure flop. And I am not buying this one.

Boss Mog

None of the black women I've ever chatted with play console/PC games, some of them have kids that do, that's about it. I'm sure there are that play but, yeah, it doesn't seem like a huge demographic within the gaming community. I don't care if they wanna highlight a black woman in the trailer but that group just reminds me of the Saints Row reboot crew, a hipster united colors of benetton ad trying to pose as gangsters, except here they're trying to pose as some kind of professional heist crew. That face paint is just so tacky.

GloveSlap

Yep. The first 30 seconds are line-for-line regurgitations of the typical anti-capitalist mantra that is all over certain ideological echo chambers.

I don’t think the heist genre is as big as some people around here make it out to be. PayDay 3 and Crime Boss Rockay City were flops. I’ve seen very little that makes me think this won’t follow the same fate, no matter how many times they try and pander to the “eat the rich” crowd (doubly ironic since it’s being funded by a multibillion dollar company).
Somehow i don't think the "capitalism is theft" devs would be ok with receiving a bill for 1 million in the mail when their game bombs. Just a hunch though.

gpn

Concord looked like a massive failure waiting to happen from its first reveal and so does this. If Totoki doesn’t kill it before release and leave a seppaku knife on Herman’s desk, I even know what’s going on with Sony any more.

Raven117

At least the concept looks a bit more interesting than Concord, with the idea of being a sort of competitive heist or something like that.
They still have time to change the style though, give it a more serious tone, make it so it looks like actual competing high tech crime gangs instead of Tiktok influencers with pink weapons shooting purple smoke at each other.
Making it Point Break, HEAT, or Dead Presidents in style… would have been cool.

In the end, if the game is fun to play…it will sell. If it’s simply serviceable and basic… with this style… it probably won’t. But I’ll guess we will see

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe if it launched on PC too.
Make It So Star Trek GIF

I still don't get why $ is in the name of the company.
Did somebody think that is edgy and cool? It's cringe and makes me think the people at the company only cares about taking my money.

Kikorin

I just have to see the banner in the OP (if I've ever seen the trailer of this I've already super forgotten) to know at 100% that it will flop. Not a Concord level of flop because is basically impossible, but probably going FTP in 1yr and closing down in 2yrs.

Edit:
Ok, I've seen the trailer and now I'm even more sure this will be a colossal failure. Boring aesthetic, predictable woke characters, cringe tools and weapons that will deliver zero feedback for sure.

Last edited:

Shit I thought it could not be worse than Concord trailer, but it is. It's going to have similar reception as that game, how much did this one cost? Just reading the asinine comments on youtube people are clearly fed up of this nonsense.

Those "creative directors" are far-left political activists, radicals, and should not direct videogames. Creativity is bankrupted.

Akuji

Cancel this and Marathon. Work on SP games with or without traditional MP. That’s your audience.
Dafuq ? Why would i want the work done being rendered useless ...

Ideally the games are great and lot of people enjoy them.

If they suck like concord then yeah sure. But do we habe any indicator thats the case ?

Hookshot

Gold Member

About 11 mins into this, Kyle Bosman goes over some talks the devs have done where they show off that the masks to customize your characters are Ai created and starts calling people "Dipshits"

That's a Game Awards presenter and former Easy Ally publicly slagging off this game before it's properly shown off. If someone that tame has it out for it, I don't see the wider public giving it a chance.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

About 11 mins into this, Kyle Bosman goes over some talks the devs have done where they show off that the masks to customize your characters are Ai created and starts calling people "Dipshits"

That's a Game Awards presenter and former Easy Ally publicly slagging off this game before it's properly shown off. If someone that tame has it out for it, I don't see the wider public giving it a chance.

And for context, Bosman is one of the most shameless Sony fanboys of all time. Spider Man 2 is his game of the generation. If he's taking a hatchet to this game already, you know they're fucked. He usually can't even bring himself to publicly criticize game developers because he knows so many people in the industry. He has to call Concord a dumb oopsie so it's not too negative lol.

I'm surprised he didn't criticize the trailer in more detail. All the taglines are so horrible. It makes me want to actively root against the people in the trailer since they're just portrayed as shameless thieves with no other context to make you root for them.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
And for context, Bosman is one of the most shameless Sony fanboys of all time. Spider Man 2 is his game of the generation. If he's taking a hatchet to this game already, you know they're fucked. He usually can't even bring himself to publicly criticize game developers because he knows so many people in the industry. He has to call Concord a dumb oopsie so it's not too negative lol.

I'm surprised he didn't criticize the trailer in more detail. All the taglines are so horrible. It makes me want to actively root against the people in the trailer since they're just portrayed as shameless thieves with no other context to make you root for them.
They are eating the rich, remember Occupy Wall Street? That's topical and not 13 years ago. The game might be fun but until we see that all we've got is trash that people are rightly picking apart in the fallout of Concord. Then we have Marathon with an interesting Art style but no real gameplay, you shoot people who become puddles?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They are eating the rich, remember Occupy Wall Street? That's topical and not 13 years ago. The game might be fun but until we see that all we've got is trash that people are rightly picking apart in the fallout of Concord. Then we have Marathon with an interesting Art style but no real gameplay, you shoot people who become puddles?
It's just not a great trailer. They can do a better job setting the billionaires up as villains with a little context for the world, or having the people look poor or something. But they just look like smug hipsters trying to steal shit, so it comes off really poorly.

Top Bottom