• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speed Racer (2008, Wachowskis) - GO WATCH THIS NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

fo5NI.png

I recently watched Speed Racer the film.

It's fucking amazing.

I think that like most people, I was familiar and aware of the iconic IP (and knew the catchphrases like "GO SPEED RACER GO") but I never really watched the cartoon. So when the movie came out 3.5 years ago, most people just kind of overlooked it. Like "oh, they made a movie of it" and then that was the last time it ever entered their mind. Now that it's out, many consider it the best live-action anime adaptation to date.

I can't recommend this movie enough. It almost has no right to be as good as it is.

It stars some pretty respected actors. Emile Hirsch, John Goodman, Susan Sarandon, Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox (from Lost), and Rain if you're a fan of him.

The visuals, oh my god. It's a Wachowski film, so you know it's going to be amazing. It's MIND-BLOWING. With a style unmatched by any movie before or after it. From the very first logo you see on screen to the end of the credits it's just an overwhelming sensory experience. The sets are also amazing and crazy. The cinematography is outstanding. People have said the film was ahead of its time...imagine this movie in 3D. Also, it looks very much like a live action cartoon. From IMDB:

This is the first time the Wachowski Brothers have filmed a movie in high-definition (HD) film. With this format, they could utilize a layering approach that gave equal clarity to the foreground and background of each scene in the film, creating the appearance of real-life anime.

The action is also fucking incredible and as intense as this post. Your heart will be pumping. They do the racing like it's never been done in another movie...you just have to watch it to understand. You absolutely feel the sense of speed and the camera cuts are never too confusing. The music is also very well done. The score is also AMAZING and enhances the mood of the scenes. I've had the song they play in the credits on repeat for a few days now. Don't click this if you haven't seen it yet because I feel like you need to hear it in the movie as it ties the film together very well on a special note, but for those of you who have watched it already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAI4Mdaa89I

The story is also very good. There's drama and twists and turns, no pun intended. The protagonist is very likeable and you'll be cheering for him to win (in racing and life). It will hit on some emotional levels. Is it campy? I'd say no. Of course, it's a very exaggerated world, but never in the movie are you ever taken out of it. The dialogue isn't overdone and feels very natural. There's even a chimp in the family and you just accept it.

By the end of it, you'll be like omg this is amazing. And you'll recommend it to everyone you know, like I'm doing now to you.

TLDR: Go out this instant and buy it on Blu-ray, rent it Blu-ray, whatever. Just go see it as soon as humanly possible. It will be one of the most fun, visually stunning, and intense action movies you will ever see.

The Blu-ray is only $7.99 on Amazon!

GO SPEED RACER GO!!!!!

----------

Trust GAF! Speed Racer is GAF's favorite movie. Here are the members who recommend the movie (I'm constantly adding more from this thread!):

THE LIST
&Divius, -COOLIO-, -NinjaBoiX-, -Yeti, 2th, AAK, AbsoluteZero, Acrylic7, adamsappel, aechris, Aegus, AgentOtaku, Akkad, Alphahawk, alraydius, AlternativeUlster, Alx, AmMortal, Anasui Kishibe, AndresON777, Andvary, Angry Fork, Anton Sugar, arena08, Arthrus, Aselith, Ashhong, aznpxdd, BakedPigeon, Banana Kid, bathala, Bearillusion, bedlamite, Belfast, bengraven, BenjaminBirdie, big ander, Big Baybee, biggkidd32, Big One, Bit-Bit, Blackace, blame space, blindrocket, Bloodwake, bluebird, bob_arctor, BocoDragon, Boober, borghe, Boss Doggie, BotoxAgent, boutrosinit, Box of Bunnies, brandonh83, Brannon, Brazil, BTRA, Buckethead, Burli, BurritoBushido, BY2K, B_Rik_Schitthaus, Captain_Spanky, castle007, Ceebs, ChackanKun, ChefRamsay, Chinner, Choabac, Christopher, ChryZ, ChunderMan, cjtiger300, ckohler, Cmagus, coldvein, ColonialRaptor, colt45joe, ColtraineGF, comedy bomb, Coolio McAwesome, cory., Costanza, CowboyAstronaut, crazy monkey, Crewnh, Crunchy20XX, crustikid, CTLance, ctrayne, Dabanton, daegan, Dali, Dan, DarienA, Dark Octave, Darkpen, Darth Pinche, Darth Tigris, Dave Long, daviyoung, Dead, Dechaios, Dega, DEO3, desh, DieH@rd, digita1alchemy, digital, DJ88, djplaeskool, DJ_Tet, dmshaposv, DoctorWho, DominoKid, donkey show, DonMigs85, DrAndonuts, Dr Frasier Crane, Druz, dr_octagon, Ducarmel, edornob, Effect, EktorPR, ElFly, Elhandro, El_Victor, EMBee99, EmCeeGramr, Empty, entrement, Erico, Eric P, Esperado, EulaCapra, evildede, EvilDick34, Evlar, EYEL1NER, Ezalc, ezekial45, Fersis, Firest0rm, Fixed2BeBroken, flintstryker, Flynn, Forceatowulf, Ford Prefect, Foxix, Foxtastical, FreeMufasa, From The Dust, Gahiggidy, Gamer @ Heart, Gary Whitta, gconsole, GDGF, GenericPseudonym, george_us, Ghost, Gila, Gilby, godhandiscen, goku1693, goldlion054, Goreomedy, Gouty, GrayFoxPL, greenhadoken, greycolumbus, GreyMatter, Grinchy, Grisby, guise, GuitarAtomik, Hamlet, Harry Dresden, harSon, haunts, hayejin, heliosRAzi, HIGH DEF JEFF, hiredhand, hiryu, Hitokage, HomerSimpson-Man, hsukardi, icarus-daedelus, Iceman, Ignatz Mouse, iirate, Ike, ILOVEASIANS, Innotech, I Push Fat Kids, ItAintEasyBeinCheesy, jadedm17, Jamie OD, JasonMCG, Jason Raize '75 - '04, JasoNsider, Jawmuncher, Jax, JCX, jediyoshi, JennyTablina, jett, JGS, jmdajr, Jme, JoeFu, Joe Molotov, JordanLMiller, joshlee, JoshuaJSlone, kaching, Kaijima, Kaizer, karasu, Karma Kramer, keanerie, Kenak, KevinCow, Keyouta, Kikujiro, KillerAJD, KillGore, Kitschkraft, Korey, Kowak, KR3W, Krev, krypt0nian, Kung Foo Kid, Kung Fu Jedi, Kyoufu, lacinius, Lakitu, lazybones18, Lead Based Paint, Lebron, legacyzero, lobdale, Lorr, low-G, lsslave, lunarworks, Lv99 Slacker, Lé Blade Runner, MacGuffin, maharg, Makoto, Mariolee, Mason, Matts Legacy, Matt_09, Matt_C, MechDX, medrew, megashock5, Meier, Messofanego, metsallica, MicH, Mike Works, MisterAnderson, MisterHero, MobiusPigeon, Monocle, Monroeski, Mr. F, Mr. Sam, Mr. Spinnington, Mr Jared, mrklaw, Mudkips, MultiCore, MWS Natural, Myansie, Myke Greywolf, mYm|17|, mysticwhip, Nakazato, Naked Snake, Nappuccino, Narag, neight, Nekobo, Neo Child, NimbusD, NomarTyme, NoRéN, nskinnear, Oblivionmancer, Ookami-kun, Outtrigger888, Pachinko, Pachterballs, papercut, Parallax, Patryn, PepsimanVsJoe, permutated, PhoncipleBone, PkunkFury, Plasmid, Platy, Pollux, polyh3dron, poopee, PowderedToast, Prime crotch, Prince of Space, Prophet Steve, Pseudo_Sam, R-User!, Radec, radioheadrule83, Ragnarok, Rahxephon91, RaidenZR, Randam_Hajile, RaoulDuke, Raptor, RatskyWatsky, Raydeen, ReBurn, ReiGun, Relaxed Muscle, remnant, ReturnOfTheRAT, rhfb, Ridli, Rindain, Riskbreaker23, RobbieNick, ROBOKITTYZILLA, RoboPlato, robot, RoninChaos, RSLAEV, RubxQub, RurouniZel, Ruze789, SabinFigaro, saelz8, Sallokin, saltine161, Satchel, Scarecrow, Scrow, Scullibundo, Scythesurge, Secret_Riddle, SephCast, Seven Force, Shin Johnpv, shintoki, Shinz Kicker, shira, Shiv47, SHOTEH FOCK OP, SirFodderton, Snaku, Snowman Prophet of Doom, Solo, SonicMegaDrive, Son of Godzilla, sooperkool, Soul Beat, Soul_Pie, soundscream, so_awes, SpacePirate Ridley, SpeedingUptoStop, speedline, Spotless Mind, sprsk, SpudBud, spuit*11, Stackboy, Stahsky, Stealth Editor, SteeloDMZ, Stench, SteveWinwood, StickyFingers, StoOgE, Stupacabra, sublime085, SunhiLegend, SuperPac, Switters, T1tan, TaeOH, TDLink, tdrdrgn, Technosteve, teepo, Templar Wizard, texasairhead101, Tguy, Thai, The Dutch Slayer, thehypocrite, The Interrobanger, THE NO LIFE KING, therapistfinder, thesoapster, The Storyteller, The Take Out Bandit, thezerofire, ThisWreckage, TigerUppercut, Tim-E, Timbuktu, Timedog, Tim the Wiz, TJ Bennett, Tommie Hu$tle, Tortfeasor, tribal24, Triz, TylerD, ultron87, Unbounded, UnluckyKate, Untracked, UrbanRats, VAIL, VaLiancY, vareon, Veal, VGChampion, VictimOfGrief, victormartin, ViewtifulJC, Vincent Alexander, Vulcano's assistant, w1ndst0rm, wackojackosnose, Wario64, Warm Machine, whatevermort, Wheeljack539, Whimsical Phil, White Man, Willco, Willy105, WinFonda, wonzo, Wray, WyndhamPrice, xrich, xsarien, Yager, Yuripaw, Zaphod, zeioIIDX, zeitgeist, Zekes!, zephervack, Zophar, blakep267, BHK3, Agent Icebeezy, neostapler, LewieP, rootbeerafloat, Jesus Carbomb, jasminlovesyoux, mrjohill, H2intensity, The Kree, The Technomancer, MindCollizion, MattKeil

QkcOTSd.gif

gjDoi3e.gif

AeANVG2.gif

EbStsSF.gif

KBpzzT7.gif

4e0MzGP.gif

hLqlsak.gif

SunhiLegend said:
Incredible movie.

qIyTytm.gif

mLVRek4.gif

EBNgIQE.gif

jett said:
This movie deserves a better kind of gif(s).

VsrZLGY.gif

Fkufnvm.gif

Anyway, speaking of visuals, in a recent thread about the Matrix trilogy someone pointed that the sequels were lacking in "iconic" or memorable visuals. Speed Racer has got to be the complete opposite of that. Nearly every frame in this movie is gorgeously composed to deliver maximum awesome:

1LlQjyt.jpg
VMx8FqU.jpg

25lDSEm.jpg
1BRXYt7.jpg

VhCu4Oj.jpg
00ju3zx.jpg

E8QjLFr.jpg
0wuYVYH.jpg

Some GAF Reviews:

I watched it today on blu-ray. Loved it. Thank you for this thread.
Thanks to this thread ... I watched this flick to get into the spirit of racing. Holy moly it was so ridiculous and awesome at the same time. I loved it! Just completely mental fun.
Just saw this after seeing lots of gaf hype it. I have to say I'll never listen to critics when it comes to a movie again, no matter what. This shit was awesome.

And the visuals, goddamn, that shit was a spectacle of imagination. There's really no way to describe it but to watch yourself. I always loved the Wachowski's but after this now I can't wait for Cloud Atlas. I wish even more so than before that the wachowski's were given the Superman reboot as well. Now I have to wonder what could have been while dealing with Snyder/million different screenwriters bullshit.
Speed Racer, man. I love practically everything in the movie. Casting, story, tone, etc. I adored Roger Allam as Royalton. There's barely a moment where I'm not smiling.

Honestly, it redeemed the Wachowskis for me. Watched it recently expecting to hate it. Those two plus hours flew by.

When I dragged my friend to see it, In Imax and everything. Even paid for his ticket(More so as a thank you for other things). He started off just doing his normal...Texting in the movie, bit chatty, fiddles around. Then for the first time...just becomes silent and stares at the screen for the rest of the movie. No more moving or texting.

Now I'm worried here, Thinking this is a bad sign. Him quiet? not really the type. When the movie gets out...its just...I think this is quiet possibly the most awesome movie I ever seen. And I thank you for dragging me to see it theaters.

Its funny to explain why it is great. I was talking to another friend before who thought Hellboy 2 was awesome while this was the biggest piece of shit ever. Kinda of the opposite opinion I have. And when he said " You're not that old yet boy, stop judging movies as oscar winners. You say Hellboy is all this cliche bullshit but Speed Racer isn't?" I just realized what made speed racer so great then. Its the fact that its not the most original story, characters, or anything like that. But it does something most movies completely fail at. Watching it was going to the movies to see something like Jurassic park when I was young. Just this amazing experience. You didn't look for faults, or anything back then. You were just amazed. This was the best way to describe Speed Racer. It was one of those movies that just left you with this feeling of being awestruck at a movie.It hits that nerve in you that makes you remember why you love movies in the first place. Not everything has to have this deeper meaning to it ala Wall-E tried to do. I guess the best way to sum it up,(Kinda of a spoiler from Ratatouille)
it is with the Critic from Ratatouille. I really think in a way, we've all become jaded about movies. We look for faults, we always crave something deeper in each one, We use words like shallow and generic to describe the predictable or common. We strive on being cynical.
I believe that is the problem Speed Racer ran into. It is kind of just another generic wonderboy fights bad guys movies. But it did it in such a way...You don't care. You can look past every fault and just fall in love with it. I don't believe everyone will fall for it. But I do believe that it is the reason why I atleast fell in love with movies in the first place.
HAHAHAHAHA :lol I can't fucking believe it... I just can't believe it man.. this movie was.. was... AWESOME!

Ok the movie was definitely a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be, it was just sheer fun. Pure unadulterated FUNgasm. The last race was god damned epic! Without a doubt one of the best races I've seen on film, period. Speed yelling
"Get that weak shit off my track!!1"
was just god damned hilarious and awesome :lol And did speed come at the end of that last race?! The dude was going so fast and kicking so much ass that he came at the sheer brilliance of his own awesomeness! :lol
Best movie of 2008. Yeah, I saw The Dark Knight.

Sapiens: no, I went into the movie expecting total garbage, I thought the previews looked terrible and it just simply ended up being my favorite movie of the year. has nothing to do with how much money it made, it would be insulting to like or for that matter dislike something because of how much money it made or didn't make.
I enjoyed this movie way more than I had any right to. This movie was, indeed, one of the most creative and fun releases from last year. I'd put it above Slumdog Millionaire for how much I enjoyed it (no, I'm not saying it's a better film, just that I enjoyed it quite a bit more) (well, actually, I might be saying it's a better film, since I didn't really get that in to Slumdog).
Totally agree, seeing this in IMAX was the best movie going experience of my life, bar none.

If you take it for what it is, it's perfect...from the casting to the story, it IS Speed Racer. If you try to look for something deeper, you'll have to dig elsewhere.
Last race was, from beginning to ending, PERFECTLY executed. I have a ton of bones to pick with the rest of the movie, but by god that last race didn't miss a step, and totally redeemed the rest of the film. I could barely believe that the Wachowski's pulled off an ending that awesome.

Speed Racer is the Wachowski's masterpiece. Everything about it is so deliberately crafted and genuine to the heart of their goal, which was to bring the surreal, frenetic silliness of the cartoon to life. I've never been a fan of the cartoon, but this movie deserves respect for how focused and accomplished it is. It's basically the movie Robert Rodriguez has tried and failed to make four times.
I watched this with some friends about 3 weeks ago. None of them wanted to watch it but I forced them too under the guise of "it looks real cool".

They were all jumping up and down at the end of the movie like little kids shouting.

Movie is awesome.

Fuck the haters.
Awesome movie.

TV sellers should play this if they want to WOW their potential customers.
When I picked up this movie earlier today, I really did not know why. I usually don't buy into GAF hype when it comes to critically panned movies, games or what not. Generally they do get panned for a reason.

(I'm looking at you, Sucker Punch)

However, I guess Speed Racer has been mentioned enough times as some sort of misunderstood, fun movie that it managed to peak my interest (in other threads, never did visit this one before now).

But seeing as I did not enjoy Scott Pilgrim (so sorry) very much, I had low hopes for this film. They seemed similar: Weak, quirky promises that somehow get elevated by great execution when it comes to visual style. This seemed exactly the same, except aimed at a younger generation than me which didn't bode well. Still, I got it cheap and finished it a couple of minutes ago.

And it was also only a couple of minutes into Speed Racer that I was engrossed. It was just such a fun movie. I guess one could say it is also dumb but who cares; it made me feel like I was 13 again. The opening told so much in little time, and the way they shot the ending race (and climax) was just an orgasm in visuals and music. And if you're not moved at the end then you have no fucking heart.

I will watch it again and try to convert other people doing so, but I can see why some doesn't like it since it's not dark, gritty and realistic. But for me it was such a fresh air to see a movie going all out in the visual department. It was basically a cool painting coming to life, again and again. And again. With some great music in the back ground. And even though the characters and plot is, well, weak, it was good enough for what it was.

Thank you GAF for making me see this movie, and I'm so sorry that I did not watch this at the cinema. :(
Just watched this on Blu-Ray.

HOLY SHIT...why oh why didn't I watch this in theaters?! Fuck the ratings!!
I just watched it again. I don't think I'll ever tire of it. Speed Racer > The Matrix.
wow, thank god for gaf I watched this film.

Totally awesome, brought out the kid in me. I can't believe this film bombed - but I guess that the obscurity of the cartoon and the lack of interest killed it.

It honestly deserved to do better than that turd indiana jones.
I was half asleep when I put this film on. I thought I'd just try it out to see if I liked it. By the end of the film I was on the edge of my seat. The race sequences can get a bit confusing at times but I still had a hell of a lot of fun.

Holy shit, I just downloaded Speed Racer off of iTunes and I think my mind was just blown. Not only was this movie the most visually amazing experience ever, but it also had a well paced story with interesting and dynamic characters.

Overall the movie is something beyond most films, because it is a film that can be enjoyed on many different intellectual levels.

5/5 Stars.
holy shit, i am seriously considering breaking up with my gf because she hated this movie.
I saw a late showing of Speed Racer last night to a barely half-filled theater but everyone there seemed to be in the mood for it and was having a good old time, myself included. It was light, quick, and had obvious doses of heart and charm. Obviously it's visually stunning, and I think lots of people were caught off guard by just how incredible some of the non-trailer key scenes looked.

It's quite clear it's not for everyone, but it's not the medicore celluloid these reviews I've skimmed make it out to be. I am actually shocked that reviewers at least aren't giving it the "take your kids to see it and have fun" treatement in the wake of every shoddy Pixar-wannabe cartoon CGI schlock-fest that they let slide. It could have totally been a huge boon if they had targeted that aspect of the public in some capacity. Instead, it seems like it's attracting older audiences who grew up with it or half-bored teens who have already theater-hopped from a paid seat of Iron Man.

All I know is, I was happy walking out of there and the world looked a lot duller and slower on the way home.

Mr. Sam

I caught some of it on Sky Movies a couple years ago and it gave me a headache. I don't think it's the sort of movie you can just drop into at any point, though, so that might explain why I found it so incredibly jarring and irritating. I might pick it up on Blu-ray and give it another chance.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I'm surprised it ever got made. Glad it did, though. Makes me hopeful for the next Wachowskis project.

Korey

I caught some of it on Sky Movies a couple years ago and it gave me a headache. I don't think it's the sort of movie you can just drop into at any point, though, so that might explain why I found it so incredibly jarring and irritating. I might pick it up on Blu-ray and give it another chance.

Yes, give it another chance. I have a friend who also caught a bit from the middle and didn't watch the whole thing because he thought it was meh. You have to watch it from beginning to end. Right from the beginning you'll know this film is special.

I always thought this was a fun movie to watch and I also thought a lot of people hated it til I read through that anime movie thread. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I recall it being just as silly as the tv show. I should pick up the bluray whenever I have the chance.

jett

D-Member
Awesome movie is awesome, if it had been a success we would have got Speed Racer 2 3D by now. :(

Seriously, it's one of my favorites of the last 10 years.

Alx

I didn't know much of the TV show, but I liked the movie a lot. Especially the "flow" of the car motions during the races, completely unrealistic but still convincing. It's a childish pleasure of mine.

Satyamdas

Banned
This is the one movie that GAF hypes to hell and back that I just can't abide. I saw it when it came out in IMAX and thought it sucked ass, and then watched a Blu-Ray later on to give it a second chance. It still sucked. I can't deny the visual splendor, but as a movie it is absolute balls. I will never understand the fascination with this thing.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
a year from now, we'll have the same kind of thread dedicated to Tintin.

Yager

Banned
Awesome underappreciated movie. It constantly slaps your brain with awesome images that make your eyes go dry. Awesome.

Awesome

Korey said:
I'm actually quite amazed that this movie didn't spawn a video game.
It did, but DS/PS2/Wii. Having enjoyed the movie I picked up the Wii version super cheap, but it doesn't translate the excitement or visual flair like you'd hope.
I can't deny the visual splendor, but as a movie it is absolute balls. I will never understand the fascination with this thing.
I think trying to separate Speed Racer from the visual splendor is like trying to separate an album from the music it's made of.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It did, but DS/PS2/Wii. Having enjoyed the movie I picked up the Wii version super cheap, but it doesn't translate the excitement or visual flair like you'd hope.

Yeah. Alas, we only had about 10 months to make it, and even though we were working with the Wachkowskis somewhat directly we were making the game fairly blind given we didn't see any final footage before the game had to be finished and they changed some design cues from reference we were given.

Also, we needed to tone down a bunch of visual effects and rip out the multi camera replay system at the very last minute for stupid reasons which I cannot disclose.

Still, we were very happy how the game turned out, and it has sold over 1m units :)

Satyamdas

Banned
I think trying to separate Speed Racer from the visual splendor is like trying to separate an album from the music it's made of.
It's not a matter of separating the two. It's that for as pretty as the colors are, they don't congeal into anything of interest. It's just a big swirly mess after a while.

I'm one of those people that can usually only stand to watch a film once and only once. But I find SR to be one of the more rewatchable films of recent times.

Jamie OD

To this day me and a friend still laugh at the
viking
racer who
catapulted beehives onto the good guys

speedline

Banned
Yeah. Alas, we only had about 10 months to make it, and even though we were working with the Wachkowskis somewhat directly we were making the game fairly blind given we didn't see any final footage before the game had to be finished and they changed some design cues from reference we were given.

Also, we needed to tone down a bunch of visual effects and rip out the multi camera replay system at the very last minute for stupid reasons which I cannot disclose.

Still, we were very happy how the game turned out, and it has sold over 1m units :)

Loved the movie, it was what bluray was made for.

Haven't played the game, may get it for my son soon. On a side note, Shatter was glorious and I just wanted to throw that in here, lol. It's my favorite PSN game by far and one of the best games this gen, retail or otherwise! It's also the only game soundtrack I've ever purchased :)

bengraven

Awesome movie.

TV sellers should play this if they want to WOW their potential customers.

This.

If I saw this movie in 3D on an HD system, I would bite quickly, even if I had only watched a few minutes. This is the only movie from the last 10 years where I've said "I want to see this in 3D".

Korey

Even though the last race is just...unbelievably intense and awesome, the very first race is just as amazing. With Speed
"racing" the ghost of his brother side by side, cut inbetween flashbacks, tears streaming down his face, and ultimately not beating the record by a split second with his family being conflicted yet relieved
. It's just SO WELL CRAFTED.

And the last race, you're basically screaming along with the crowd
for him to win
. So engrossing

In fact, every race in the movie was unique, important, and memorable.

SO GOOD!!!!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Watched it once, thought it was alright.

Shame about the audio on the bluray release though, its pretty underwhelming.

Oppo

Ok a bunch of you liked this film for some reason....

but admit it.

If the Wachowskis has made a Wipeout film it would have been so much better.

I'm really glad you took some strangers advice on what to watch and even more so that you liked it OP.

If you were to ask me whats makes this movie great in the classic film sense or what it does better than other movies I'd really have to think about it. This movie doesn't bring great acting or a grip clinging story, while it certainly isn't slouching in those departments, there isn't a defining quality to compare with any other movie really.

To me its pretty unique. Its style, how its characterizations adapted from the cartoon are spot on in capturing a child like feel and it's approach to try and define it's audience with it's style that I think is shining example of my generations upbringing. A lot of elements just come together for me and allow me to get engaged in its non-serious approach.

FreeMufasa

Can't believe I haven't watched this yet. I was so hyped in 2008 and then due to some events, it slipped my mind. I'll look into the Blu-ray.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, awesome movie.

There was that one race scene where Speed enters racing nirvana god-mode and the familiar Speed Racer tune kicks in as the visuals go into overdrive. Was that the final race? Anyways, loved that moment. Made me do a fistpump.

All the scenes with Racer X were great too. Especially the final reveal, despite it being obvious from the beginning.

btrboyev

Terrible movie. I bought it on BD and I got about an hour into before I had to shut it off and that's something I rarely or never do with movies.

Sapiens

the end of this film is amazing it makes me tingly

End of the film is good - the rest of it is very uneven. It's a little embarrassing to watch.

I wish this film was more successful so we wouldn't have a thread every few months where people talk about how amazing it was.

Great visually, but (way) too comfortable with the source material for the characters and story. It went from a 7 (theater) to a 5 (blu-ray) to me. But still a cool movie to spend the afternoon.

Jarmel

Banned
The movie was horrible. It was all over the place and seemed it really couldn't stick to a consisent tone.

Add me to the list that recommends this movie

Loved it and very disappointed that it bombed at the box office. It deserved better

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I'm just glad I don't see Count Dookkake or swoon in that list.

And I am glad you are not there. respect +5 even though your Sim sucks ass.

Really, the movie has amazing visuals but that's basically it. If you like your cheesy stuff why not. As a visual showcase its good, but as a movie it just fails hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom