• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Rubedo

5%28210%29.png

Oh look. It's best girl.

FluxWaveZ

Is it just me or did DR2 feature more instances of the cast talking during trials and other characters figuring out stuff on their own.

As opposed to DR1 where everyone was just really terrible at critical thinking unless your name was Kyoko or Byakuya. Makoto had to basically spell out everything whereas it seems Hajime didn't have to spoon feed his classmates as much.

That's certainly part of the reason the trials were so much better in DR2. Most of the people involved didn't seem like idiots, which is also helped by the new mechanics themselves via the rebuttal and agreement systems. It also seemed like a lot of the characters were willing to do their own investigations, while most of them stood around doing nothing, hoping Makoto, Kyoko and Byakuya would save them all in DR1.

Drago

Perhaps I'm missing something here but why is it that both Makoto and Nagito were Ultimate Lucky Students, assuming they were both enrolled at Hope's Peak at the same time (pretty sure they were)? Isn't there only supposed to be one student chosen for that title? DR1 spoiler (idk if I have to tag this lol but better safe than sorry)
Unless it has something to do with Makoto being relabeled as Ultimate Hope at the end of the first game? I dunno

PK Gaming

Is it just me or did DR2 feature more instances of the cast talking during trials and other characters figuring out stuff on their own.

As opposed to DR1 where everyone was just really terrible at critical thinking unless your name was Kyoko or Byakuya. Makoto had to basically spell out everything whereas it seems Hajime didn't have to spoon feed his classmates as much.

That seems to be case. A sizeable amount of the DR2 cast gets to shine during trials, whereas most of the DR1 characters got relegated to the peanut gallery because critical thinking discerns them.

Even Byakuya had his moments of stupidity because he was an arrogant shithead.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but why is it that both Makoto and Nagito were Ultimate Lucky Students, assuming they were both enrolled at Hope's Peak at the same time (pretty sure they were)? Isn't there only supposed to be one student chosen for that title? DR1 spoiler (idk if I have to tag this lol but better safe than sorry)
Unless it has something to do with Makoto being relabeled as Ultimate Hope at the end of the first game? I dunno

From what I understand they have a drawing each year for Lucky Student, so they're just in different grades.

LX_Theo

Banned

Nagito said early on that they choose one every year.

Rubedo

There is one selected per year. I think one is from Class 77 and the other is from Class 78?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I don't think they were enrolled in the same year.

petghost

Banned
That seems to be case. A sizeable amount of the DR2 cast gets to shine during trials, whereas most of the DR1 characters got relegated to the peanut gallery because critical thinking discerns them.

Even Byakuya had his moments of stupidity because he was an arrogant shithead.

i dno i kinda remember everyone being pretty useless with the notable exceptions of chiaki and nagito. people like akane, ibuki, kazuichi etc. just seemed to be the comic relief.

also thanks for the VN recommendations everyone!

The kids in SDR2 are older than the kids in DR1 and also different classes.

Rubedo

I'm guessing the DR2 cast weren't all in the same class like the DR1 cast right?

Seeing as how Nagito and Izuru seem to have never met. And I think there is something mentioned about Fuyuhiko graduating before Hiyoko.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

It was handled better. Sometimes you presented the solution in game but before Hajime could really start talking someone else picked up the thread and explained the thing you had to figure out as a player.

PK Gaming

i dno i kinda remember everyone being pretty useless with the notable exceptions of chiaki and nagito. people like akane, ibuki, kazuichi etc. just seemed to be the comic relief.

also thanks for the VN recommendations everyone!

DR:
Trial Point Getters (aka the best): Makoto, Kyoko, Byakuya (sometimes?)
Competent trial members: lol
Competent Blackened: No one besides Junko? They weren't very good at being culprits

SDR2:
Trial Point Getters: Hajime, Chiaki, Nagito (sometimes?)
Competent trial members: Mahiru, Peko*, Sonia, Fuyuhiko*
Competent Blackened: Peko, Mikan, Gundam*, Nagito

*Pre & Post chapter 2 for Peko and Fuyuhiko
*Never intended to get away with it, but was still highly competent

---

DR2 characters are generally more competent across the board. Heck even the less competent members had some merit since they tried to contribute to the trial in some way (ie: Akane, Nidai) or you sometimes agreed with their points (ie: Ibuki).

JNA

Banned
DR:
Trial Point Getters (aka the best): Makoto, Kyoko, Byakuya (sometimes?)
Competent trial members: lol
Competent Blackened: No one besides Junko? They weren't very good at being culprits

SDR2:
Trial Point Getters: Hajime, Chiaki, Nagito (sometimes?)
Competent trial members: Mahiru, Peko*, Sonia, Fuyuhiko*
Competent Blackened: Peko, Mikan, Gundam*, Nagito

*Pre & Post chapter 2 for Peko and Fuyuhiko
*Never intended to get away with it, but was still highly competent

I don't agree with Mikan being the competent Blackened. Felt the exact opposite about her. XD

Also most wasted girl, so much potential

At least we will have DR:AE about her. Along with DR IF Novel we have at the moment.

Rubedo

I don't agree with Mikan being the competent Blackened. Felt the exact opposite about her. XD

At least we will have DR:AE about her. Along with DR IF Novel we have at the moment.

How? She covered it up quite well. It was just the slightest discrepancy that messed her up.

FluxWaveZ

Oh I didn't know we were going by that. I was mostly going by probable motive or something XD.

Even her motive was great because, although it felt weak at the time, it was excellent yet subtle foreshadowing to the group actually being Ultimate Despairs, making her case one of the most remarkable to look back to in the grand scheme of things.

Rubedo

Mikan should have worn a wig.

Yeah the fact that her hair was visible and didn't have the multicolors that Ibuki had made me think something was up.

Also, the murderers from DR2 (except Teruteru) must all secretly be Ultimate Geniuses too. Their set ups were pretty elaborate for high school students.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does a Monokuma bag count? 0_0

I meant more to conceal the fact that the video was a fake, since Ibuki's hair was all over the place at the hangsite.

Even her motive was great because, although it felt weak at the time, it was excellent yet subtle foreshadowing to the group actually being Ultimate Despairs, making her case one of the most remarkable to look back to in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I'm talking to someone now who really feels discouraged by the weak motive in chapter 3. I can't defend it because he needs to experience it for himself.

FluxWaveZ

Wonder how DR:AE is going to do in terms of sales. It seems the initial sales for each game in the series has been growing, with the DR1+2 collection doing something like 76k in week one, if I recall correctly. It'd be impressive if a spin-off could top that.

Also, the murderers from DR2 (except Teruteru) must all secretly be Ultimate Geniuses too. Their set ups were pretty elaborate for high school students.

Heh, maybe they're all used to killing people in unusual and elaborate ways, even though they might not have known it at the time.

LiK

Mukuro sure has developed a following considering how little we got to know her. Felt real bad when I was playing School mode after learning who she really was.

JNA

Banned

I'm mostly mad at the motive because Ibuki was the causality. :(

Rubedo

Mukuro sure has developed a following considering how little we got to know her. Felt real bad when I was playing School mode after learning who she really was.

In the main story, yes. But between her FTEs, all the different things you can get her to say in School Mode, her School Mode ending, and especially IF we learn a pretty good amount.

LiK

In the main story, yes. But between her FTEs, all the different things you can get her to say in School Mode, her School Mode ending, and especially IF we learn a pretty good amount.

i didn't read IF yet. wish it was done with VO or portraits. heh

kewlmyc

Are you thinking what i'm thinking? Persona Q, but with DanganRonpa characters!

Danganronpa.png

=====
HOPE'S PEAK ACADEMY...

A DEATH SENTENCE FOR THOSE THAT ARE TRAPPED THERE...

TWO STUDENT BODIED UNITED THROUGH LUCK AND FATE...

TOGETHER, THEY OVERCOME ANYTHING?!

Ibuki: Woah... who are they?!?
Makoto: My name is Makoto Naegi, it's a pleasure to me you.
Hajime: It's nice to you meet you too.
Chiaki: 2 protagonists with the same ahoge...
Hajime: It seems like we're fighting for our reasons, and they're fighting for theirs... I don't think that makes us friends, but for now, we have the same goal.
Kyoko: I think we can trust them... for now.
Byakuya: Hmph, more idiots
Fuyuhiko: What the fuck did you just say?

THE BATTLE OF HOPE VERSUS DESPAIR STARTS ANEW

Nagito: As long we're all together, hope will never die.
Makoto: Right!

WILL THE ULTIMATE STUDENTS PREVAIL?

Hajime: As long as i'm around, I won't let anyone die!

=====

Coming never, to a store near you!

I'd play the fuck out of that as long as Mukuro's in it as herself, not fake Junko.

POKéRONPA IS BACK, BABY! Hope you're "hella stoked" for our first subject, the lovely Princess Sonia Nevermind!

LQrS1Fn.png

Florges: A regal, loving Pokémon loved by all who get to know it. Sounds pretty appropriate for someone as popular as Sonia, no? I chose the yellow-coloured Florges to mirror Sonia's flowing golden locks.

Nidoqueen: Pretty self-explanitory, really. A "royal" Pokémon who's mostly defense-oriented but has a fierce side as well.

Togekiss: Wow, our first overlap already! Togekiss is known to bring happiness to everyone in its presence, which is similar to how Sonia manages to brighten every room she's in with her sunny disposition and cheerful attitude. It's also exclusively used by royals in the anime, which provides another solid connection.

Spiritomb: Said to be composed of 108 evil spirits, this one's here to rep Sonia's obsession with the occult and grim supernatural happenings. It's also one of the two Pokémon to have no weaknesses prior to the introduction of Fairy-type; perfect for someone who managed to survive all 6 trials against the odds.

Shuckle: Just like Sonia, Shuckle isn't going to be killing anyone, but it has no interest in being meekly killed! With the highest defensive stats in the series coupled with the lowest offensive stats, this statement rings very true for Shuckle.

Mega Sableye: New trend time! Since this is Super Danganronpa 2, I think it's only appropriate that the new cast each be given a Mega Pokémon to denote their superiority. Mega Sableye not only provides another connection between Sonia and the supernatural, but it's also very symbolic: the idea of hiding behind wealth or status is something that Sonia's absolutely terrified of as it goes against her dream of living a normal life among her fellow students, so her training of this Pokémon is representative of her overcoming this fear and conquering her anxiety.

Hope you guys enjoyed the first installment of this new series! New entries will be coming at you every day (schedule allowing), continuing with The Supreme Overlord of Ice tomorrow!

JNA

Banned
POKéRONPA IS BACK, BABY! Hope you're "hella stoked" for our first subject, the lovely Princess Sonia Nevermind!

LQrS1Fn.png

Florges: A regal, loving Pokémon loved by all who get to know it. Sounds pretty appropriate for someone as popular as Sonia, no? I chose the yellow-coloured Florges to mirror Sonia's flowing golden locks.

Nidoqueen: Pretty self-explanitory, really. A "royal" Pokémon who's mostly defense-oriented but has a fierce side as well.

Togekiss: Wow, our first overlap already! Togekiss is known to bring happiness to everyone in its presence, which is similar to how Sonia manages to brighten every room she's in with her sunny disposition and cheerful attitude. It's also exclusively used by royals in the anime, which provides another solid connection.

Spiritomb: Said to be composed of 108 evil spirits, this one's here to rep Sonia's obsession with the occult and grim supernatural happenings. It's also one of the two Pokémon to have no weaknesses prior to the introduction of Fairy-type; perfect for someone who managed to survive all 6 trials against the odds.

Shuckle: Just like Sonia, Shuckle isn't going to be killing anyone, but it has no interest in being meekly killed! With the highest defensive stats in the series coupled with the lowest offensive stats, this statement rings very true for Shuckle.

Mega Sableye: New trend time! Since this is Super Danganronpa 2, I think it's only appropriate that the new cast each be given a Mega Pokémon to denote their superiority. Mega Sableye not only provides another connection between Sonia and the supernatural, but it's also very symbolic: the idea of hiding behind wealth or status is something that Sonia's absolutely terrified of as it goes against her dream of living a normal life among her fellow students, so her training of this Pokémon is representative of her overcoming this fear and conquering her anxiety.

Hope you guys enjoyed the first installment of this new series! New entries will be coming at you every day (schedule allowing), continuing with The Supreme Overlord of Ice tomorrow!

img-thing

excited-gif19.gif

Image saved. :D

She really can't have a role in DR:AE...

She's already dead by it.

And I mean if by some necromancer chance, they start bringing people back to life, I have someone who's the top of my list that needs to be revived. >:[

JNA

Banned

And I mean if by some necromancer chance, they start bringing people back to life, I have someone who's the top of my list that needs to be revived. >:[

Oh...I thought the main girl in that game was Mukoro and that AE was a prequel...

Swing and a miss. :(

Zephyx

How? She covered it up quite well. It was just the slightest discrepancy that messed her up.

Well, same with Celeste! Her argument/statement or unusual behavior caused her demise. Why do my favorite characters always end up as killers in Chapter 3? If there will be a DR 3, I hope I don't choose someone with the same fate.

Rubedo

"Okay Makoto, you can bring back any of your friends but it can only be ONE. Choose wiiiiiisely. Puhuhuhu!"

Top Bottom