• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

kewlmyc

What'd you guys think of the executions for DR2? I thought they were kind of weak compared to the first game. Except Chiaki's, that one was pretty heart breaking.

Liked Teruteru's.
Peko's was okay.
Mikan's sucked, period.
Gundham's wasn't brutal, but it was pretty manly for lack of a better word.
Chiaki's was sad, but also had the most thought put into it which I enjoyed.
AI Junko was meh.

All and all, they weren't as great as Leon's from the first game, but most were on par with Mondo's.

I had the EXACT same thing happened to me with DR1. I was trying to remember how to spell "Byakuya" so I typed it into the Chrome URL bar so autocomplete would tell me the correct spelling, and the second suggestion was "danganronpa byakuya execution", so I thought I had spoiled myself, but somehow I got lucky because it never happened.

wWnCVGE.png

Can you really call that luck though?

What'd you guys think of the executions for DR2? I thought they were kind of weak compared to the first game. Except Chiaki's, that one was pretty heart breaking.

I think since I was more sympathetic with the murders in this game than the last (in general), they were probably more heartbreaking than the first game's.

Moonlight

Banned
When Usami appeared I was like "fuck yeah!"

Raaaaaiiiiinnnnboooow powweeeerrrr!

Was a pretty hype moment for me since I only started to like her a little bit after Chapter 5 (since she was seen as pretty useless for most of the game)
Was mentally inserting RULES OF NATUREEEEE into that sequence. :lol

Gundam having to leave his hamsters behind made me feel pretty sad. Also he ironically ends going to heaven instead of hell.

That's an interesting point that I'd like to hear people's opinions on: do you guys think that Gundam went to heaven at the end of his execution to symbolize that he was a good guy who sacrificed himself for the greater good, or was it just an ironic touch inserted by Monokuma to mock his claims of being a demon king? I prefer the former explanation, but I could see a very solid case for the latter as well.

That's an interesting point that I'd like to hear people's opinions on: do you guys think that Gundam went to heaven at the end of his execution to symbolize that he was a good guy who sacrificed himself for the greater good, or was it just an ironic touch inserted by Monokuma to mock his claims of being a demon king? I prefer the former explanation, but I could see a very solid case for the latter as well.

I'd like to think that the former is the reason, but the latter makes more sense given the theme of the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I gotta agree. Teruteru's was okay, if not a bit over the top, Peko's was alright but more emotional due to Fuyuhiko stepping in, Mikan's was stupid, Gundham made me think of a smaller-scale Lion King (though I will agree the ending was kind of memorable), & OH GOD POOR CHIAKI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY (i.e it was the most memorable).

I think overall, though, DR1 had more memorable executions.

I'd love to think the former, but thinking about it, sending him to heaven really does seem like something Monokuma would do just to rub in the despair.

antibolo

Banned
Chiaki's execution was the best, they make it look like she has a chance at escaping it, and the prior art in the first game (Makoto's execution) makes you believe she can, but then your hopes are sadistically crushed. By some freakin' not-Tetris blocks.

Just another of the great examples of how Dangan Ronpa 2 takes your expectations from the first game, and then screws with them unexpectedly.

MSMrRound

No, I just feel like it just demonstrated how caring of a person Gundham was (towards animals), and I like to think of the animal angels as pets that Gundham had previously cared for, which had passed on...and then coming back to welcome him to the animal heaven where he will feel at peace forever. Even Monokuma's salute was kind of a sign which showed that he respected Gundham sacrificing himself (in a sense) to free the others from the starvation motive and more.

Rubedo

This is Monokuma. I'm pretty sure it was to mock him. Just like how Celeste got killed in the most common way possible.

Time for my character tiers.

- - - - - - Super Super Duper - - - - - -
Chiaki
Hajime
Sonia

- - - - - - Super Duper - - - - - -
Mahiru
Nekomaru
Ibuki
Gundham

- - - - - - Duper - - - - - -
Fuyuhiko
Imposter
Mikan

- - - - - - Reserve - - - - - -
Akane
Peko

- - - - - - Despair - - - - - -
Kazuichi
Hiyoko
Teruteru

- - - - - - Ultimate Despair - - - - - -
Nagito

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chiaki's execution was the best, they make it look like she has a chance at escaping it, and the prior art in the first game (Makoto's execution) makes you believe she can, but then your hopes are sadistically crushed. By some freakin' not-Tetris blocks.

Just another of the great examples of how Dangan Ronpa 2 takes your expectations from the first game, and then screws with them unexpectedly.

Yep, this is exactly right. Which is why it was especially difficult to watch.

Moonlight

Banned
So, were Gundham's hamsters part of the matri...Neo-World too or were they in their own tiny cute pods?
I choose to believe.

Hamsters don't live that long and it's already been a few years since the Tragedy. The Devas are probably already dead in real life. :(

Rubedo

So, were Gundham's hamsters part of the matri...Neo-World too or were they in their own tiny cute pods?

Well we've talked about this before and I think they were built from Gundham's memory. I don't think they were real and the actual ones died a while back. After all, why bother going through the effort to put in real ones when you could just recreate them? And they only live like 3 years.

Time for my character tiers.

- - - - - - Super Super Duper - - - - - -
Chiaki
Hajime
Sonia

- - - - - - Super Duper - - - - - -
Mahiru
Nekomaru
Ibuki
Gundham

- - - - - - Duper - - - - - -
Fuyuhiko
Imposter
Mikan

- - - - - - Reserve - - - - - -
Akane
Peko

- - - - - - Despair - - - - - -
Kazuichi
Hiyoko
Teruteru

- - - - - - Ultimate Despair - - - - - -
Nagito

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed Hiyoko and Teruteru ;_;

Especially Teruteru. Obviously he was a pervert but I thought it was a lot funnier than it should have been. Like a better version of Hifumi's character from DR1. Not to mention his motivation made him kinda sympathetic (despite the fact once you realized they were Ultimate Despairs and he probably cooked his mom and ate her)

Rubedo

Especially Teruteru. Obviously he was a pervert but I thought it was a lot funnier than it should have been. Like a better version of Hifumi's character from DR1. Not to mention his motivation made him kinda sympathetic (despite the fact once you realized they were Ultimate Despairs and he probably cooked his mom and ate her)

He was a perv but at least he was humorous as opposed to Kazuichi who is just a whelp. The main thing that puts him not as high as the others for me is that he simply doesn't seem as deep or fleshed out as most of the other characters (expect Hiyoko and Kazuichi). Even in his FTEs we get very little beyond the fact that he's a guy that loves his mama and likes to pretend he is much grander than he is. Not terrible but simply not as good as most of the other cast in my eyes.

Labrys

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed Teruteru ;_;

i don't like that theory on what he did while a despair, but teruteru is my favorite so you're not the only one

Moonlight

Banned
IMO, I think her mom dying while he was at school makes way more sense than the alternative. Most of the Ultimate Despairs have hints (both explicit and implicit) about what made them sink into despair in the first place, and Teruteru doesn't really have anything in that regard if you assume his mom was just fine and dandy until he cooked and ate her or something.

Reading all the love for Gundham kind of blew my mind at first because until he kills Nekomaru and we have the trial and everything, I found him goofy and annoying. Once chapter 4 hit I started to enjoy him and I really enjoyed his FTEs, but before that he was just too ridiculous for me.

Maybe it's because you are not used to the "8th grade syndrome" character archetype that Gundham had? It's a fairly common trope used in some Japanese culture stuff.

That's probably it because I'm not too familiar with Japanese culture other than the JRPGs I've played and some other games. I've never watched anime other than the Persona 4 adaptations and have never read manga, so that makes a lot of sense.

Rubedo

That's probably it because I'm not too familiar with Japanese culture other than the JRPGs I've played and some other games. I've never watched anime other than the Persona 4 adaptations and have never read manga, so that makes a lot of sense.

To be fair, I've seen tons of Japanese shows and played JRPGS but rarely seen anyone like Gundham.

MSMrRound

To be fair, I've seen tons of Japanese shows and played JRPGS but rarely seen anyone like Gundham.

Only character I can recall who resembled him in persona was Okabe Rintaro from playing the Steins;Gate VN.

Well...one of the recent popular "chuunibyou" anime series that I remember was Love, Chunibyou & other Delusions. You can check out this video (Link) to find out what I'm referencing

Other chuunibyou examples are something like schoolgirls that wish of becoming a magic girl *cough Madoka* and other stuff, but this series takes the cake when it comes to 8th grade syndrome.

hohoXD123

I enjoyed his character too, provided quite a few funny moments, particularly when he went into his full-blown accent mode.

MSMrRound

Ah it's too bad he voiced Teruteru and not Gundham.

But then again, you can't beat SUGITAAAA

INFINITY UNLIMITED FLAME

Like I said, I'm a fan of both dubs. If one haven't tried replaying Chapter 5 with Kana Hanazawa-voiced Chiaki, there is no justice in the world ;_;

PK Gaming

IMO, I think her mom dying while he was at school makes way more sense than the alternative. Most of the Ultimate Despairs have hints (both explicit and implicit) about what made them sink into despair in the first place, and Teruteru doesn't really have anything in that regard if you assume his mom was just fine and dandy until he cooked and ate her or something.

There was definitely was a catalyst that sent each of them into Despair. I've got my own thoughts on how it went down. (Note: The following is 99% conjecture)

Hinata_%2817%29.png

He became Kamukura. With no hopes, no dreams, no memories, no aspirations, no happiness, it was natural that someone like him would fall into Despair. Being forced into the killing game that kickstarted the Tragedy probably didn't help either.

Komaeda_%2813%29.png

Junko. Enoshima. Nagito is someone who values hope to an extreme degree. He's always believed that Despair is merely a stepping stone for Hope; the greater the Despair, the greater the Hope, and Junko is Despair incarnate. He most likely wanted to prove to her that Hope would overcome any Despair. Unfortunately for him, someone like him could never Hope to overcome the Ultimate Despair.

Tsumiki.png

Mikan has spent most of her life dealing with abuse and mistreatment. Up until she met Junko, she hadn't met a person who truly valued her. Even her "so-called" friends at Hopes Peak didn't treat her all that well. Junko on the other hand, was someone who accepted and loved her. (Naturally, Junko used those feelings as a means to convert her into Despair). She fell madly in love with her and devoted her entire life to serving her. No brainer.

Kuzuryuu_%2812%29.png

Fuyuhiko lost his little sister at Hopes Peak Academy. I don't care how tough Fuyuhiko props himself out to be; losing his sister must have sent him into unimaginable Despair. Junko probably used that anguish and anger to convert him into the Ultimate Despair.

Pekoyama_%284%29.png

As Fuyuhiko's tool, she was obligated to protect and follow him no matter. If Fuyuhiko were to join the Ultimate Despair, then Peko would follow him without question.

Koizumi_%2819%29.png

Just like Fuyuhiko lost his sister, Mahiru lost a friend. Someone she obviously cared about dearly, as she was willing to go as far to cover up her crime and immediately cried when she found out she died. Burdened with the guilt of covering up a crime and losing a close friend, she probably fell into Despair quite easily.

Togami_%2811%29.png

He's got intense identity issues, which can definitely lead into Despair, but my guess (and this is a longshot) is that since he was admitted into Hopes Peak Academy before Byakuya as the Ultimate Heir, he probably fell into Despair after the real Byakuya was admitted into Hopes Peak.

Hanamura_%2818%29.png

Teruteru deeply, deeply, deeply cares about his mother, to the point where he'd murder someone just to see if she was still alive. Since his mother was in poor health prior to going to Hopes Peak, her death could have easily triggered a breakdown into Despair. And knowing Junko, she wouldn't hesitate to capitalize on that Despair.

Owari_%2812%29.png

If you do her FTE, you find out that Akane values her own survival over anything else. She lived in a poor environment were dying wasn't exactly uncommon, and she worked to support her various half siblings. But her main motivation came from the fact that she just didn't want to die. She didn't want to be a weak individual that would die without a fight. I could see her choosing to side with the immensely powerful Ultimate Despair if it meant living, rather than die like the majority of students at Hopes Peak academy.

Mioda_%2811%29.png

This one's also a longshot, but she probably fell into Despair following the breakup of her band. Music is her livelyhood, and if she couldn't write songs or perform, I could see her falling into Despair over that. But then again, it's Ibuki. It would take a huge amount of misfortune for to join up with the Ultimate Despair.

Souda_%285%29.png

Meeting Junko Enoshima probably triggered it. If you do his FTE, you find out that Soda's the type of person who did favors in an attempt to get people to like him. He let a kid cheat off of him in a test, for instance, and wasn't miffed when that very same student screwed him over. I could see Junko asking him to build the various execution devices, and in return she gave him what he craved the most (not sex mind you, you find out that he rejected women that threw himself at him) but someone he could call a "friend."

...That's how I see things. Can't really come up with a good enough reasons for the rest.

Nekomaru could easily either be his heart disease comes back up or his athletes all fall apart on him or something.

Sonia could be the death of something related to her kingdom especially if she's all the way in Japan and not able to do anything. Or breaking her by something like the fall of her kingdom.

Gundham's lonely enough that he could have been roped into it or something.

And its obvious Hiyoko joined up cause she had nothing better to do.

Rubedo

Nekomaru could easily either be his heart disease comes back up or his athletes all fall apart on him or something.

Sonia could be the death of something related to her kingdom especially if she's all the way in Japan and not able to do anything. Or breaking her by something like the fall of her kingdom.

Gundham's lonely enough that he could have been roped into it or something.

And its obvious Hiyoko joined up cause she had nothing better to do.

Yeah Hiyoko was already evil.

PK Gaming

frXcKFj.jpg

"Wanna mess with the loser reserve course students?"
"Hmm, Ok!"
"Wanna start rioting because the Hopes Peak staff totallllllly deserve it?"
"Hmm, Ok!"
"Wanna spread general Despair and chaos?"
"Hmm... Ok!"

Squish, squish

kewlmyc

I just realised something:

If the cast has 2 years worth of memories stolen from them and Komaeda says during his FTE that he only has a few months (?) left to live, doesn't that mean he's already lived through it and survived? It's possible that he could wake up and be just fine without his disease killing him.

He seems very popular in Japan for something like that to happen, him waking up first due to his extreme luck or something.

PK Gaming

I just realised something:

If the cast has 2 years worth of memories stolen from them and Komaeda says during his FTE that he only has a few months (?) left to live, doesn't that mean he's already lived through it and survived? It's possible that he could wake up and be just fine without his disease killing him.

He seems very popular in Japan for something like that to happen, him waking up first due to his extreme luck or something.

His lymphoma's are definitely treatable, but Frontotemporal Dementia is a lot trickier since it's a disease that literally rots your brain. Most people survive for 5-6 years after diagnosis, but the symptoms are pretty severe. He'll probably be bedridden in a few years.

galvenize

There was definitely was a catalyst that sent each of them into Despair. I've got my own thoughts on how it went down. (Note: The following is 99% conjecture)

Hinata_%2817%29.png

He became Kamukura. With no hopes, no dreams, no aspirations, no happiness, it was natural that someone like him would fall into Despair. Being forced into the killing game that kickstarted the Tragedy probably didn't help either.

Komaeda_%2813%29.png

Junko. Enoshima. Nagito is someone who values hope to an extreme degree. He's always believed that Despair is merely a stepping stone for Hope; the greater the Despair, the greater the Hope, and Junko is Despair incarnate. He most likely wanted to prove to her that Hope would overcome any Despair. Unfortunately for him, someone like him could never Hope to overcome the Ultimate Despair.

Tsumiki.png

Mikan has spent most of her life dealing with abuse and mistreatment. Up until she met Junko, she hadn't met a person who truly valued her. Even her "so-called" friends at Hopes Peak didn't treat her all that well. Junko on the other hand, was someone who accepted and loved her. (Naturally, Junko used those feelings as a means to convert her into Despair). She fell madly in love with her and devoted her entire life to serving her. No brainer.

Kuzuryuu_%2812%29.png

Fuyuhiko lost his little sister at Hopes Peak Academy. I don't care how tough Fuyuhiko props himself out to be; losing his sister must have sent him into unimaginable Despair. Junko probably used that anguish and anger to convert him into the Ultimate Despair.

Pekoyama_%284%29.png

As Fuyuhiko's tool, she was obligated to protect and follow him no matter. If Fuyuhiko were to join the Ultimate Despair, then Peko would follow him without question.

Koizumi_%2819%29.png

Just like Fuyuhiko lost his sister, Mahiru lost a friend. Someone she obviously cared about dearly, as she was willing to go as far to cover up her crime and immediately cried when she found out she died. Burdened with the guilt of covering up a crime and losing a close friend, she probably fell into Despair quite easily.

Togami_%2811%29.png

He's got intense identity issues, which can definitely lead into Despair, but my guess (and this is a longshot) is that since he was admitted into Hopes Peak Academy before Byakuya as the Ultimate Heir, he probably fell into Despair after the real Byakuya was admitted into Hopes Peak.

Hanamura_%2818%29.png

Teruteru deeply, deeply, deeply cares about his mother, to the point where he'd murder someone just to see if she was still alive. Since his mother was in poor health prior to going to Hopes Peak, her death could have easily triggered a breakdown into Despair. And knowing Junko, she wouldn't hesitate to capitalize on that Despair.

Owari_%2812%29.png

If you do her FTE, you find out that Akane values her own survival over anything else. She lived in a poor environment were dying wasn't exactly uncommon, and she worked to support her various half siblings. But her main motivation came from the fact that she just didn't want to die. She didn't want to be a weak individual that would die without a fight. I could see her choosing to side with the immensely powerful Ultimate Despair if it meant living, rather than die like the majority of students at Hopes Peak academy.

Mioda_%2811%29.png

This one's also a longshot, but she probably fell into Despair following the breakup of her band. Music is her livelyhood, and if she couldn't write songs or perform, I could see her falling into Despair over that. But then again, it's Ibuki. It would take a huge amount of misfortune for to join up with the Ultimate Despair.

Souda_%285%29.png

Meeting Junko Enoshima probably triggered it. If you do his FTE, you find out that Soda's the type of person who did favors in an attempt to get people to like him. He let a kid cheat off of him in a test, for instance, and wasn't miffed when that very same student screwed him over. I could see Junko asking him to build the various execution devices, and in return she gave him what he craved the most (not sex mind you, you find out that he rejected women that threw himself at him) but someone he could call a "friend."

...That's how I see things. Can't really come up with a good enough reasons for the rest.

clapping-tgif-t-g-i-f.gif

Does make a lot of sense.

Hiyoko should be easy to guess too. Her life wasn't all fun and games and she only had her father to support her, not to mention the murder case she was involved in.

Top Bottom