• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the almighty Jojo running in contention.

I didn't read the manga, but as an anime viewer, for now it isn't. In fact, it's starting more slower and less interesting than Part 2. Some of Duckroll's comments worry me, as it seems these episodes are example of how it'll be for a good while.

Zeppeli

Banned
I didn't read the manga, but as an anime viewer, for now it isn't. In fact, it's starting more slower and less interesting than Part 2. Some of Duckroll's comments worry me, as it seems these episodes are example of how it'll be for a good while.

JoJo part 3 doesn't pick up until DIO's World, near the end. Part 4 is going to make the perfect anime, but I don't think anything past part 4 will be animated.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So far the only thing Jojo Pt. 3 has proved is that stands are a boring way to abstract action.

Articalys

Kazuto Nakazawa and Takashi Hashimoto are both on the show I think. There should be some pretty nice scenes here and there, but I doubt it's a high budget production. It's MAPPA and noitaminA, so I'll expect it to look a lot like Kids on the Slope, except with more explosions instead of piano playing.
Maybe they can have the best of both worlds and some pianos will explode.
Good job posting this immediately after I went to sleep >.> I wouldn't really say I have a lot of extra time, but this doesn't look like it should take long, so here you go!
Oh my goodness, thank you so much. Looks like it would be quite amusing to play.

JoJo part 3 doesn't pick up until DIO's World, near the end. Part 4 is going to make the perfect anime, but I don't think anything past part 4 will be animated.

Yeah, I fear we will have a "enemy stand of the week" for xx episodes, and the story won't develop more until at least they get close to Egypt.

fertygo

Stand really exciting when Araki get the hang of formula and became excuse for crazy and bizzare scenario and less Pokemon..
Yeah, I fear we will have a "enemy stand of the week" for xx episodes, and the story won't develop more until at least they get close to Egypt.

That's basically the ongoing theme for JoJo from now on for your future consideration lol

Although the ongoing overarching plot in part 3 is very small, compared to other part after it. I will just tell you straightaway, it is monster of the week show.

Stand really exciting when Araki get the hang of formula and became excuse for crazy and bizzare scenario and less Pokemon..

I wish he'd focused more on Jotaru and Kakyoin and this around the world in eighty days trip stuff in stuff of x of the week :(. More jules Verne influence as well, its the adventure series we need in these times.

NeonZ

Urusei Yatsura

UruseiYatsura_ep22_01_zps9e7be3b2.jpg
UruseiYatsura_ep174_07_zps9bf6b264.jpg
UruseiYatsura_m04_05_zpsb13a89e9.jpg

So, I've just finished reading the manga and watching all episodes, movies and OVAs. I really liked the show. The beginning was weak, but it quickly raises itself to become something memorable.

Its peak was certainly around episodes 60-106 and the second movie. The first year of the anime is basically filled with straight adaptations of manga stories. They often had some differences, like larger destruction scenes and some continuity differences regarding the roles of some characters (like Megane and Perm often receiving scenes that were originally from Ataru's friend Kosuke in the manga), but most of the story remained the same. In the second year, Oshii seemed to have more freedom, resulting in a few completely original stories and big changes to some stories of the manga that gave them a very different atmosphere from the original. However, even after that second year, the show could still be really enjoyable at times.

Comparing the anime to the manga, although it's usually said that after director Oshii's departure the number of original stories was smaller, that's not really true. Not counting the recap episodes right before Oshii's departure, the number of original stories continues to be about the same as in the second year of the show under Oshii. The anime staff apparently recognized that it had its own identity and attempted to keep it in a way, even though there's the loss of Oshii's own personal directing style. They not only keep story elements like Megane and his friends as big characters a long time after they disappear from the manga, but the anime still attempts some moments with dream-like atmosphere and darker tone that just aren't in the manga. However, there's never other tv show episodes that go to the extreme of "And Then There Were None" or episode 78, "Pitiful! Mother of Love and Banishment!?", which is likely what gives the impression of the second half of the series following the manga more closely. Still, the difference seems noticeable if you look at the later anime stories and compare them to the manga's, in spite of the many manga adaptations there.

In fact, the differences eventually build up to a tv show ending that seems incompatible with the eventual ending of the manga, in spite of that ending being eventually adapted into its own anime movie.
Lum's and Ataru's kiss in the tv finale seemed perfectly fitting, however, it seems like a development that completely denies the manga finale that was eventually animated. In fact, although there are flashbacks to anime-only moments in the finale adaptation, they completely avoid the kiss, likely due to how problematic that development is for the movie's story.
. There's also Movie 4, which yet again attempts a darker story, alongside a finale of sorts for the show. Considering how the final tv episode also seems to foreshadow movie 4 (
with Lum disappearing from pictures for a reason unexplained in the episode
), the tv finale and movie 4 together seem basically like director Kazuo Yamazaki's own ending for the series.

Now, the original non-recap OVAs are another matter. That's where we get pure manga adaptations that seem to deviate little from the source, even Megane and the other three are reduced to cameos outside of one episode. The art is inconsistent, and they're all extended manga stories that don't really add anything in particular. Although there are some script changes, these are likely the closest the anime gets to the manga, alongside the fifth movie. Still, if you enjoy the basic format of the series, they (generally) aren't a waste.

The final (well, it's the fifth) movie itself ended up rather disappointing to me, although I guess it's not specifically fault of the original material. It's just that, like mentioned before, due to previous events of the anime, its whole premise seems unnecessary.
Lum already understood that Ataru loved her but couldn't show it, and he had already shown proof of it too in spite of that flaw.
Considering how the movie ends up sidelining the entire cast to focus just on them,
with the others quickly giving up and leaving everything in Ataru's hands
, it just wasn't a very satisfying conclusion for the anime, especially compared to previous stories that highlighted the other cast members more. Ataru also was deprived of everything that makes him special, and an unbeatable opponent for Mendou through the series, just to give more drama and force a certain resolution. Outside of the final race though, it is basically the only movie that managed to tie a larger story to the show's usual humor. Previous movies always seemed rather weak in that aspect.

Still, in spite of the problems in some of the later productions, I'm actually left wishing there were more material based on this series...

Zeppeli

Banned
Nope

Also nope

I don't get how this isn't true. It has decent high points in the mid like everything with
Iggy, Anubis, or the d'Arbys
, but overall it's a pretty big snoozefest until DIO.

I wish he'd focused more on Jotaru and Kakyoin and this around the world in eighty days trip stuff in stuff of x of the week :(. More jules Verne influence as well, its the adventure series we need in these times.

You might hate part 4 then as it's more "murder mystery slice of life" than adventure series.

So guys who's the worst anime studio you know of.

KyoAni

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mahouka 4

Running incest gag is getting more and more amusing as reluctant as I am to admit that. Otherwise this was anime as anime can be, nothing really remarkable, good or bad, aside from the male gaze stuff on the counselour and the bit below:

This was strange as it was just one on one with the girl and the MC. Looked like one might expect a restaurant scene to be but, I suppose for the sake of self-insertion, the camera switched to the MC's POV as he commented on the girl being a beautiful kendo girl, resulting in her embarrassment looking like it fell out of a dating game or some shit.
You're turning into Mahouka guy now. lol

You know the Ono sensei counselor that was shown in the anime is completely different from the manga.
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...oukou-no-rettousei/images/3/36/Ono_Haruka.png
http://i.imgur.com/R0iQXPc.jpg?1

How could they do this she looks so much better in the manga and her bust size. Why MadHouse.
BBW is love. They know what's up.

---

DTL, have you leveled up to this yaoi power level yet?
X0pr5ZOl.png

jgminto

I don't get how this isn't true. It has decent high points in the mid like everything with
Iggy, Anubis, or the d'Arbys
, but overall it's a pretty big snoozefest until DIO.

You could say the same about Part 4 though. Akira is a rubbish first main villain. I'd say most of the early fights aren't really that interesting. It's chapters like "Lets Go Eat Italian Food" and everything once Kira is introduced that make Part 4 amazing.

I'd certainly put Yellow Temperance, Lovers, Death 13 or most other mid-stardust stands over Aqua Necklace or RHCP

Zeppeli

Banned
What's the incentive if it's getting animated?

It may not cover all the events, the dialogue might end up being different, and you can go through it at your own pace. I also feel that part 3 was better suited to being a manga rather than an anime.

You could say the same about Part 4 though. Akira is a rubbish first main villain. I'd say most of the early fights aren't really that interesting. It's chapters like "Lets Go Eat Italian Food" and everything once Kira is introduced that make Part 4 amazing.

I'd certainly put Yellow Temperance, Lovers, Death 13 or most other mid-stardust stands over Aqua Necklace or RHCP

Akira wasn't bad, though he certainly could have been better. But it picks up a lot fast than part 3 does and the overall character cast is more enjoyable. You even get Jotaro and Joseph for the part 3 diehards.

Stardust Crusaders 1-4

Well that was really fantastic, great actions and tons of FAAAAABULOUS posing

Captain Earth 4

This is boring as fuck, if the point of the series is to stop the bad guys from getting to earth, but they just walked into your base like no big deal, you better fucking explain why they haven't already won already.

cajunator

Banned
Im kind of disappointed how Captain Earth is turning out. It had so much promise. Still has an amazing brown girl though so theres potential.

Zeppeli

Banned
Im kind of disappointed how Captain Earth is turning out. It had so much promise. Still has an amazing brown girl though so theres potential.

They blew their load way too early. Daichi shouldn't have come close to piloting the Earth Engine yet... The action's pretty much peaked already.

fertygo

Agree.. If people complaining about early part of SC its just weird to think Part 4 doing it better, although I must admit when the main sidekick and villain showup its blow everything off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One Week Friends 4

Hey girl, keep a blog! Use the infinite power of the cloud already. :p

Also, for Dresden:
Y8qp6SAl.jpg

---

Haikyuu 4
tEV7o8Xl.png

DUCKROLLLLLLLLLL

Yep, I got Chihayafuru'ed. :(

One Week Friends 4

I thought him being able to narrow down the diary's location was ridiculous, and him finding it when she hoped was cheesy but whatever forces a resolution I guess =/ Still an enjoyable episode.

Coffin Princess 3

This continues to be my surprise hit of the season, even in a slow episode the world and characters work really well and I couldn't help but be sucked in despite Chika's best efforts to moe me out. Next weeks episode looks to be really sweet love the Dragoon's design

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Was anyone surprised? I wasn't surprised.

We still have Pingu Pongu

Kurita isn't surprised either, that's his unsurprised face.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At least volleyball is more fun than karuta, but still its disappointing to see what's happening to this series.
Not to offend any volleyball fanatics, but I don't know if spiking strategies are that much more interesting than card swiping strategies. lol

---

Brynhilder
I forgot the lolis need Dresden pills to survive.
xOXHEFbl.png

Also, protag gonna protag:
WCrS6Oal.png

I don't think I've seen a show retcon itself after one episode like this since Star Trek though. lol

magica rebellion

pretty movie, although its hella hard to follow at times visually and plot wise (probably shouldn't have been playing ffx while watching this).

so... what was the whole point?

And whats the whole sniff sniff joke people talking about? I feel like i missed that.

Guys have you seen the new Sailor Moon anime! OMG brings back memories of my childhood. Hope they don't mess it up, the girls look too....how do I put it doll like...girly ahhh I can't find the word.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guys have you seen the new Sailor Moon anime! OMG brings back memories of my childhood. Hope they don't mess it up, the girls look too....how do I put it doll like...girly ahhh I can't find the word.

The word you're looking for is "shoujo".

Kurita

Was anyone surprised? I wasn't surprised.

We still have Pingu Pongu

Kurita isn't surprised either, that's his unsurprised face.
Looks pissed off to me

But honestly, it's a sports anime, of course they will be playing volleyball all the time.
It's like complaining that they're fighting all the time in an action show like Jojo.

survivor

Banned
Not to offend any volleyball fanatics, but I don't know if spiking strategies are that much more interesting than card swiping strategies. lol
Dunno, volleyball just seems more interesting than seeing characters swipe cards faster than their opponents cause they are so awesome at hearing.

Looks pissed off to me

But honestly, it's a sports anime, of course they will be playing volleyball all the time.
It's like complaining that they're fighting all the time in an action show like Jojo.
No wonder why I don't like Jojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom