• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The World is Still Beautifu - Soredemowhatever 4

Mmm should I drop it? Characters are getting stuck on their simplicity, the bad guys are baaad guys and don't even try to be subtle, the direction is mediocre and the music choices for scenes is awful (it's not only Tender Rain, in this ep I noticed how the music really was actually making worse two scenes)

Best to drop it now because this isn't getting any more nuanced.

fertygo

Yes, you are right.

Just to develop a little more, there is something about the main character that annoyed me. That line about "it´s nonsense to stake your life on table tennis". I was wondering who was him, a guy that is just "wasting time until he dies" to say something as disrespectful.

I'm not going to hide it, not being a show about "wanting to win and doing cool things and be awesome" puts me off, which I understand it may be a quite simplistic argument for me to make. But other part is my lack of interest in the main character, the way he thinks or his attitude in general, it´s really depressing to watch to me.

Thanks for the tip, I may give Haikyu a watch too, I had read some nice stuff about it in the thread.

You're just not ready yet for dat sakuga world yo

Anyway, you sure aware with what point that make you critical about it, maybe you should consider that's not necessarily a bad thing when something from fiction can invoke that kind of awareness from you.

CorvoSol

So now that I've seen some of Stardust Crusaders, I can definitely see how far this show has influenced stuff in Japan over the years, haha. I'm particularly impressed with how much of the show's set up goes into Persona. Like, Jotaro Kujo, ordinary Japanese High School student who is also super good in a fight develops a strange power to summon a being right behind him in battles, this being and all others like it get names based on tarot cards. The sudden influence of these forces over someone close to him spurs JoJo and company into action to save the day and stuff.

And I think I may like Grampa JoJo even more now than I did when he was young.

Acosta

Nisekoi 16-

Zvezda end card wasn't worth watching two dead fish flop on top of each other hoping that by some miracle of God they procreate.

It's not that bad, onodera mother appeared.

Nisekoi 16
An entire episode about Onodera that was even worse than it sounds on paper. I could swear that both of these characters already said they liked one another, but here we are with the show taking two steps back for every step forward. At least there was rad crossover Zvezda art at the end, but nobody should have to endure this episode for it.

Wow, I didn't know Onodera was so disliked.

I find her really charming and loved the last episode (mom was pretty awesome too). It was funny how they struggled to have a simple chat.

YUFXhTp.jpg

#TeamOnodera

By the way, talking about Nisekoi, don't you think this image from the OP is a bit weird?

Quite sinister for the tone of the series isn't it?

Mahouka 4

Running incest gag is getting more and more amusing as reluctant as I am to admit that. Otherwise this was anime as anime can be, nothing really remarkable, good or bad, aside from the male gaze stuff on the counselour and the bit below:

This was strange as it was just one on one with the girl and the MC. Looked like one might expect a restaurant scene to be but, I suppose for the sake of self-insertion, the camera switched to the MC's POV as he commented on the girl being a beautiful kendo girl, resulting in her embarrassment looking like it fell out of a dating game or some shit.

its also weird that at least in the LN, the protag is described as 'nothing special', but maybe thats just from his view and really hes swag penis.

You know the Ono sensei counselor that was shown in the anime is completely different from the manga.
Ono_Haruka.png

R0iQXPc.jpg

How could they do this she looks so much better in the manga and her bust size. Why MadHouse.

grim heaper powerup

Haikyuu 4

This show might be hitting every sports cliche in the book but its hitting all the right buttons for me and looks great while doing it.

Kawai Complex Guide 4

This guy is two steps away from putting on a Fedora and calling senpai m'lady.

Mahouka 4

And so it begins.

Jealous Miyuki/Yandere Ayase is so entertaining.

Personally hoping they wrap up the Blanche situation in the next 2 episodes (3 at most).

But knowing my luck, that won't happen.

if the finish enrollement in 3 episode i would be very surprised . I'd say it's 4 eps untill "enrollment" ends.

Puchimas!! 23

Island survival challenge Idol edition, go!

Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA 02

jncxl25l.jpg

Still adorable. Horimiya anime when?

Mekakucity Actors 03

ZOzEOb6l.jpg

Based SHAFT continues to be based SHAFT.

I liked it how it rounded by the first episode and brought these two parties together. I like the explanation of the powers and really makes me look forward to seeing where this goes from here.

Nisekoi 15

qW57XS3l.jpg

All your faves can't compare. Bow down.

cajunator

Banned
So now that I've seen some of Stardust Crusaders, I can definitely see how far this show has influenced stuff in Japan over the years, haha. I'm particularly impressed with how much of the show's set up goes into Persona. Like, Jotaro Kujo, ordinary Japanese High School student who is also super good in a fight develops a strange power to summon a being right behind him in battles, this being and all others like it get names based on tarot cards. The sudden influence of these forces over someone close to him spurs JoJo and company into action to save the day and stuff.

And I think I may like Grampa JoJo even more now than I did when he was young.

Corvy, what show were you talking about on twitter earlier?

Wow, I didn't know Onodera was so disliked.

I find her really charming and loved the last episode (mom was pretty awesome too). It was funny how they struggled to have a simple chat.

#TeamOnodera

By the way, talking about Nisekoi, don't you think this image from the OP is a bit weird?

Quite sinister for the tone of the series isn't it?

Still my choice. Onodera is a sweetheart. People hating her makes me want to cry.

Puchimas!! 23

Island survival challenge Idol edition, go!

Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA 02

jncxl25l.jpg

Still adorable. Horimiya anime when?

Mekakucity Actors 03

ZOzEOb6l.jpg

Based SHAFT continues to be based SHAFT.

I liked it how it rounded by the first episode and brought these two parties together. I like the explanation of the powers and really makes me look forward to seeing where this goes from here.

Nisekoi 15

qW57XS3l.jpg

All your faves can't compare. Bow down.

Shes got a full face blush going on. Competition got serious.
You know, even though I love the cuties in these harem shows Im kinda getting tired of them altogether.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movie 3: Rebellion

cgd2-55053unjqw.jpg

So beautifully drawn holy crap, perhaps I'm a bit too impressed since it's been a long time watching a good anime with high production values. I didn't watch the first 2 movies because they were recaps but I will if they're equally good. I couldn't quite follow the ending(lol), the plot was unfolded in a much higher tempo towards the end and the "wtf" moments kept piling up, will have to watch again later on. I'll have a hard time recommending it to some people due to its grade of moe with cute little magical girls.

cajunator

Banned
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movie 3: Rebellion

cgd2-55053unjqw.jpg

So beautifully drawn holy crap, perhaps I'm a bit too impressed since it's been a long time watching a good anime with high production values. I didn't watch the first 2 movies because they were recaps but I will if they're equally good. I couldn't quite follow the ending(lol), the plot was unfolded in a much higher tempo towards the end and the "wtf" moments kept piling up, will have to watch again later on. I'll have a hard time recommending it to some people due to its grade of moe with cute little magical girls.

It was filled with so many adorable moments before everything went to hell. I feel it was worth my time and the 90 bucks I spent on it but I can definitely understand if people hated it. But like I said before, this is a Butch Gen story and thats how he rolls.

Gundam 00 S1 - 1

This has a pretty similar premise to Dancougar Nova, so I decided to watch this alongside it.

So we have an organization that intends to end all wars by using wars itself. Unlike Dancougar that assists the weaker side in a war, these guys just stop everything. And the world's all: "Not sure if want...".

So many mixed opinions this one has, so I thought I'd watch it and form my own. All I hope is that it doesn't bore me to death.

Jex

[Mushi-Shi 2] - 4

Okay, maybe this is the show of the season. Or not. It's hard to tell considering the stiff competition Ping Pong is giving it. Either way, it's a good time to be an anime fan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
[Mushi-Shi 2] - 4

Okay, maybe this is the show of the season. Or not. It's hard to tell considering the stiff competition Ping Pong is giving it. Either way, it's a good time to be an anime fan.

There is also the almighty Jojo running in contention.

It was filled with so many adorable moments before everything went to hell. I feel it was worth my time and the 90 bucks I spent on it but I can definitely understand if people hated it. But like I said before, this is a Butch Gen story and thats how he rolls.

I love how the girls' eyes are half open most of the time, adds to the cute factor making them look like they're stoned.

Butch Gen is an amazing writer, Psycho Pass, Phantom, Fate/Zero, good stuff. Can't wait for Expelled From Paradise and Aldnoah.Zero.

cajunator

Banned
I love how the girls' eyes are half open most of the time, adds to the cute factor making them look like they're stoned.

Butch Gen is an amazing writer, Psycho Pass, Phantom, Fate/Zero, good stuff. Can't wait for Expelled From Paradise and Aldnoah.Zero.

SO CUTE. Ume Aoki DA GODDESS>

I forgot and couldn't be bothered to check what happened but I assume it was the power of Mari Okada.

I think that's the episode where
what's-his-face dresses up as Menma.

Hah yeah, it was that one. I cant believe they went there.

Anohana Series

I just marathoned through the series earlier today. I dont understand why Menma
couldnt have made herself known to others earlier in the series
. Towards the end when she was
making the bread and stuff, did the friends see the pot and the bread floating in the air or what?
I kinda wish
Yukiatsu stayed creepy but I guess after his confession he started to be pretty decent.
Good stuff.

Otherwise, it was a pretty solid series. Some good feels and some unintentionally funny stuff. I think one of my fave scenes in the series was when
they were trying to find the rare Nokemon and how they celebrated after they got it.
It reminds me of when my friends and I play video games and hang out as grown ass men and still celebrate like children.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Baby Steps Episode 4:

This show is a good middle ground in between Ping Pong and Diamond No Ace as far a sports shonen goes. Anyway, the thing I am digging most is the most unique approach Eiichirō is taking, watching a maven of the hard sciences apply those rubrics to Tennis match in addition to pick up every bit of experience and incorporating it into his game is a sight to behold. On the other hand I am not really caring for his nemesis the Rivaltron 5000 since everything about him has the air of stale archetype and his status as the rival comes about because, well, look at the guy, every visual cue, design aesthetic, mannerism, degree of attitude, every iota of being feels like it was precision engineered to be The Rival then any sort of organic growth and it is all rather dull and trite.

Jex

There is also the almighty Jojo running in contention.

I certainly consider JoJo Pt.3 to be a very good series but, pound for pound, minute for minute, it's got nothing on Mushi-Shi or Ping Pong. They're just so much richer.

Articalys

Baby Steps ep.4

Massugu GO! Natsu is really adorable.
I figured Eiichiro would probably lose the contest but it was neat how Takuma felt threatened enough to use a slice serve to win it.
Finally it's about time for a real match. Looking forward to it.

Haikyuu! ep.4

That was a lot of fun. They're doing a good job with all the early character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom