• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Lots of people post gifs of girls in movies and stuff like that in some sexy pose or move. It happens a lot. I dont see how its much different from anime.
Like this from Into Darkness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTmXQHjpODA
There is no point to this scene other than fanservice.

Realistically proportioned (beautiful) actual adult woman in lingerie shot in full body pose /= drawing of well endowed woman blushing orgasmically as she takes her bra off (no matter how much I'm enjoying Captain Earth!).

Is that dual standards to think like that? Probably - and I have no issue with that, as they're very different things.

Yes, this is an anime thread blah blah blah accepting niche hobbies and interests, but that doesn't mean that Alice Eve in pants and a bra has exactly the same impact as a cartoon of a youthful-looking teenage girl shoving her bum at the camera coquettishly. I'm not that open-minded, I'm afraid, and I'm stubborn enough that I don't think it's a character flaw to find Hollywood fan service less off-putting than anime fan service.

cajunator

Banned
Realistically proportioned (beautiful) actual adult woman in lingerie shot in full body pose /= drawing of well endowed woman blushing orgasmically as she takes her bra off (no matter how much I'm enjoying Captain Earth!).

Is that dual standards to think like that? Probably - and I have no issue with that, as they're very different things.

Yes, this is an anime thread blah blah blah accepting niche hobbies and interests, but that doesn't mean that Alice Eve in pants and a bra has exactly the same impact as a cartoon of a youthful-looking teenage girl shoving her bum at the camera coquettishly. I'm not that open-minded, I'm afraid, and I'm stubborn enough that I don't think it's a character flaw to find Hollywood fan service less off-putting than anime fan service.

I dont care about fanservice in general. Its all unnecessary to me. Cute-service is another thing entirely and wholly endorsed.

Black Bullet 4

Aren't shows supposed to go full anime retard with big changes, giant monsters and gigantic battles in the last episode? lawl. I mean I guess it's cool that the show doesn't care for stuff like that and just went full anime on episode 4. But this most definitely felt like a last episode for a season, glad it's continuing. Unfortunately one of my biggest gripes in anime occurred in this ep with "FOOL THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!". Oh well I can live with it.

I was entertained throughout but this battle was fairly boring since it's basically a mage vs a fighter, so it was completely one sided on cool animation. Looking forward to the rest of the series
Looks like Enju doesn't have much to live, I wonder if the LN author is brave enough to kill off a main character. Probably not, they'll probably have some excuse as to how she'll still be alive later

cnet128

Banned
I dont care about fanservice in general. Its all unnecessary to me. Cute-service is another thing entirely and wholly endorsed.

How appropriate that right after you made a post about cute-service, this popped up on my computer's wallpaper rotation:

irCvKxL7IuWCN.jpg

<3

Crocodile

Breasts (animated or real) very, very rarely trigger my "omg so disgusted, eww" responses but for the sake of those with different tolerances and for those who sometimes wander in here while in public/at work (like me), it would be nice if said images (if they must be posted) are hidden behind links rather than as embedded images.

No matter what insult you come up with regarding Blood-C, it will never hurt duckroll more than the movie did.

4281208-325364-blue-balls-background.jpg

Dragoshi1

Happiness Charge Precure is still a fun watch, and doing well as my first precure show.

The ED is still amazing, graphically and song-wise, and it's awesome that a massive group version of it is in that new Precure movie that came out in March. I want to see it so bad.

Majin Bone 5

Good episode. I hope our lead stops doubting himself soon as I don't know how fun it'd be to see a guy be so flip floppy in his resolve for the whole show. Still once more, the most enjoyable aspect of this show is the non-fighting stuff. I wish the female leads had a bigger role since their interaction with the 4 (now 5) leads makes for some better good scenes and very realistic discussion.

Maybe that's what I like. The dialogue seems so natural for these characters.

It had visual issues here and there, but I agree that the show was very pretty to look at in animation, art style and characters. It had a decent soundtrack too. I don't judge Gurren Lagann based on one episode where the animation/visuals were crap (episode 4 or 5).

Jex

[Hunter x Hunter 2011] - 103

I know this is just a writing issue and a power creep issue and a "keep the fights interesting" issue but at what point did Nen Powers become whatever the heck the writer wants. For example, way back in the YorkShin Arc Nen powers seemed to be fairly simplistic and even the Nen powers belonging to the most powerful characters had well defined limits.

Now, every scrub has some completely OP ability that doesn't even resemble previous Nen powers in form. They're basically at the same level of creative flexibility as Stands in that they can do just about anything, for any reason, except they don't even have the same basic weaknesses as a Stand.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that it's just really weird to see how the series progressed. Of course, I've witnessing this progress in a really compressed fashion so it's more noticeable.

Was Sorairo still a Junior Member? Looks like he got banned again...

It certainly doesn't look good after just getting a rare reprieve from getting unbanned as a junior once already. :(

Oh dear, RIP.

And quite close to getting to member status too! A loss of a fellow big TTGL fan is a huge loss indeed.

Mr.Jeff

Another chance for our friends across the pond to laugh at us, because we're never going to get anything this nice.

http://www.alltheanime.com/patema_kickstarter/
Shame the film just doesn't live up the same legacy as Time of Eve. I'll probably still back the shit out of it though even if it means supporting Andrew Partridge.

Banner of the Stars III (Seikai no Senki III)

It's over. :(
There was conversation about shows people would like to see such as a Spice and Wolf III and, I think, Mr. Jeff commented how he would like more Banner but on the other hand wouldn't because of the use of CG and such.

Releasing in 2005 and Banner III already had a lot of CG on its ships. Some of it looked almost as good as modern stuff anyway,haha. Probably not a good sign I guess. It looked more like a more modern work though in the use of the colouring on the characters and you can just see the changing of the character art going back and looking at Crest to now.

Personally, despite its shorter length, I still really like Banner III.

<snip>

Personally Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars became a favorite anime series of mine and I enjoyed my visit in the Stars universe and meeting the characters within. :)
Thank you for your writeup Nafe and yes it was I who said that. The OVA certainly doesn't lack the same stylings as the previous installments but there's just something lacking I think. Although, it's certainly better than nothing.

My only complaint about the OVA would be that it felt perhaps a bit overly rushed for the events that occur. Especially in comparison to the slow plodding prison plotline of Banner 2.

Maybe one day when there's more material, we'll see an attempt at Banner 4.

On a side note, having finally started the Spice and Wolf novels, it's become apparent the lack of a third season, aside from the not having any new material to tie in with, is due to what I think of as FMP4 syndrome; the books after the last series all have a more focused main plotline which would be difficult to work around if they were to be limited to say, a one cour series.
It would result in either an unsatisfying conclusion or an anime original ending for that series which would most likely be awful

I know this is just a writing issue and a power creep issue and a "keep the fights interesting" issue but at what point did Nen Powers become whatever the heck the writer wants. For example, way back in the YorkShin Arc Nen powers seemed to be fairly simplistic and even the Nen powers belonging to the most powerful characters had well defined limits.

Now, every scrub has some completely OP ability that doesn't even resemble previous Nen powers in form. They're basically at the same level of creative flexibility as Stands in that they can do just about anything, for any reason, except they don't even have the same basic weaknesses as a Stand.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that it's just really weird to see how the series progressed. Of course, I've witnessing this progress in a really compressed fashion so it's more noticeable.

I marathoned 100+ episode and I see it more as Gon and co. slowly learning more and more about the limitations. I think we need to keep into account that a theme in the chimera ant arc is that humans physically (for the most part) are weaker than the animal kingdom, proportion wise. Assuming that episode has to do with chimera ants
maybe the point is that they're already stronger physically and nen is seen as something that comes from the physical body, so these guys are more prone to be better. These are all top of the line enemies and they only brought a small team of more than decent nen users to battle them

Pooya

It had visual issues here and there, but I agree that the show was very pretty to look at in animation, art style and characters. It had a decent soundtrack too. I don't judge Gurren Lagann based on one episode where the animation/visuals were crap (episode 4 or 5).

Past the first episode, it looked crap like almost all the time. I guess the OP looked cool, that's it.

edit: maybe the blurays look significantly better, I don't know.

There have always been esoteric Nen abilities dating back to Kurapika's chains or Pakunoda's gun. The categories can reasonably cover pretty much anything you can imagine, and for everything else, there's specialization.

Really, only enhancers have the more simplistic abilities (with some exceptions like Palm) while anyone else could have pretty much whatever the hell Togashi feels like.

Nen basically just lets you do goddamn anything.
After Greed Island anything became fair game. It's fucking Nen I ain't gotta explain shit

Past the first episode, it looked crap like almost all the time. I guess the OP looked cool, that's it.

edit: maybe the blurays look significantly better, I don't know.

We must've seen different shows then because the show always looked great for me except for that one scene you guys like to laugh over in the gif.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
holy fuck the english language.
Truly original IP, material not based on any prior book, game, or manga, is rare in anime, and often it's hard to tell where those new ideas come from. Sometimes it's ridiculously easy, however, as in the case of Psycho-Pass, a Production I.G crime show set in the future and centered around a ragtag group of veteran and rookie cops with complex motivations and conflicted feelings about the system that employs them.
And you didn't even post the best parts:
Instead of resulting in a derivative and directionless chimera with too many parts in all the wrong places, season one of Psycho-Pass is a sharply written and produced adventure with love poured into every frame from hundreds of talented hands. It's a top-shelf creation that rivals both its live-action relatives and its closest animated one, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Comparing Psycho Pass to Ghost in the Shell holy shit.

fertygo

So you gonna had same problem for Stands too then?

Although for better and worse, Araki's unintentional clumsiness (and intentionally) made Stands don't feel too heavy handed despite its getting more and more hilarious in application.

Although for better and worse, Araki's unintentional clumsiness (and intentionally) made Stands don't feel too heavy handed despite its getting more and more hilarious in application.

They never power creep as hard as Stands. Nothing power creeps that hard.

SAC > Psycho Pass > GITS

I want S2 already. Excited for it.

I hope the OP's are as catchy as the first season's.

It's a less intricate version of Ghost in the Shell. But somewhat dystopian society (at least compared to ours) set in a future with advanced technology means, and it deals with a group of members preserving the peace/tracking down threats? It isn't that far off from GiTS in that sense. Does it compare with it? No, but it doesn't make it bad.

SAC > Psycho Pass > GITS

I want S2 already. Excited for it.

Holy shit somebody to be excited about this show with. Thank God.

Theonik

It might be okay if they have someone else's masters!
Maybe! Don't trust them! (still pre-ordered)

I would like to not gouge my eyes out, thank you very much.
Ara ara

Their boobs aren't THAT big.
I'm sure it'd have to be a DS game for it to be a problem anyway.

I'm guessing it was this.

You get disappeared if you complain about more extra themes/improvements to the dark theme not taking precedence over other site fixes, because that's entitled whining according to some mods. Kind of BS if Sora went down on one of GAF's least-known bannable offenses. RIP
This is such royal horseshit if true.

Comparing Psycho Pass to Ghost in the Shell holy shit.
SAC wasn't THAT bad.

I don't know, Stands become ridiculously obscure as the series goes on, both in application and concept. By part 6, you could write pages and pages on how a single Stand works. I wouldn't really compare them to Nen abilities outside of weird stuff like the merman with the darts.

Haly

Its SAC, so maybe its not that bad of comparison.
SAC is an anime classic. A clear example of the potential of serialized anime as a mature storytelling medium.

Psycho Pass is like, I dunno. I dropped it after 3 episodes because it was terrible and it made me feel terrible for watching it.

SAC wasn't THAT bad.
I'll eat you. HOMPHGOMPH

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm guessing it was this.

You get disappeared if you complain about more extra themes/improvements to the dark theme not taking precedence over other site fixes, because that's entitled whining according to some mods. Kind of BS if Sora went down on one of GAF's least-known bannable offenses. RIP
Ah, that's too bad

===========================================
i enjoy Psycho pass for what it's worth, and yeah, the creator definitely pour a lot of love in the production. the philosophy part is definitely not reaching the complexity of SAC, I still think it's entertaining

Jex

There have always been esoteric Nen abilities dating back to Kurapika's chains or Pakunoda's gun. The categories can reasonably cover pretty much anything you can imagine, and for everything else, there's specialization.

Really, only enhancers have the more simplistic abilities (with some exceptions like Palm) while anyone else could have pretty much whatever the hell Togashi feels like.
I marathoned 100+ episode and I see it more as Gon and co. slowly learning more and more about the limitations. I think we need to keep into account that a theme in the chimera ant arc is that humans physically (for the most part) are weaker than the animal kingdom, proportion wise. Assuming that episode has to do with chimera ants
maybe the point is that they're already stronger physically and nen is seen as something that comes from the physical body, so these guys are more prone to be better. These are all top of the line enemies and they only brought a small team of more than decent nen users to battle them
A lot of the earlier battles where kind of martial arts + a bit of magic in their focus and structure.

Yes, Nen has allowed for some weird stuff to happen previously but it either had very tight conditions e.g. the Chains or it wasn't terribly dangerous e.g. shooting memories. Now we've got weird dart shit, Banrkuptcy, and conjuring people to your own personal world where you can also invent new powers on the fly.

I'm talking mainly about the writing style and how the abilities work. At some point, and I think the YorkShin Arc demonstrates this, Togashi was really concerned about Enhancers/Transmuters/Conjurers/Mainpulators and how they interacted as well everyone using Gyo, En, Zatsui etc. Pretty much every fight with a "baddie" was focused on how each fighter's Nen type matched up against each other and blah blah blah. It seems like he got largely bored of that and now there's a lot of focus on 'gimmicks' being the key to battles, as well as everyone in the world being a specialist (okay it's not really that bad, specalist was always a kind of 'get out of jail' card.)

I know that Togashi kept a lot of stuff unexplained and off the table earlier on with regard to e.g. the abilities of the Phantom Troupe (which is helpful because they clearly needed to be powered up to bring them somewhat level with the new baddies) but it really just feels like he's more focused on making cool crazy stuff happen regardless of how it fits in with all that other Nen world building. This isn't a criticism, just an observation.

fertygo

I don't know, Stands become ridiculously obscure as the series goes on, both in application and concept. By part 6, you could write pages and pages on how a single Stand works. I wouldn't really compare them to Nen abilities outside of weird stuff like the merman with the darts.

I know, but Araki is clearly weak writer, the execution felt clumsy compared to Togashi and all that despite same amount of text wall, but somehow its creating some kind of weird charm with how wacky it is lol

I know, but Araki is clearly weak writer, the execution felt clumsy compared to Togashi and all that despite same amount of text wall, but somehow its creating some kind of weird charm with how wacky it is lol

Part 5 and Part 6 definitely got sloppy. Part 7 and Part 8 have improved on that significantly.

I'm talking mainly about the writing style and how the abilities work. At some point, and I think the YorkShin Arc demonstrates this, Togashi was really concerned about Enhancers/Transmuters/Conjurers/Mainpulators and how they interacted as well everyone using Gyo, En, Zatsui etc. Pretty much every fight with a "baddie" was focused on how each fighter's Nen type matched up against each other and blah blah blah. It seems like he got largely bored of that and now there's a lot of focus on 'gimmicks' being the key to battles, as well as everyone in the world being a specialist. I know that Togashi kept a lot of stuff unexplained and off the table earlier on with regard to e.g. the abilities of the Phantom Troupe but it really just feels like he's more focused on making cool crazy stuff happen regardless of how it fits in with all that other Nen worldbuilding.

If we're talking purely power-related interactions between nen-users, I don't think much has changed. However, the way the fights themselves play out as far as outcome and other stuff go are a bit more complicated since fights in earlier arcs were much more standard shounen.

Also, specialists are still outnumbered quite a bit well into the Chimera Ant arc. Morel is very clearly a manipulator, which I assume was what started this thought as you mentioned ep 103.

Jex

If we're talking purely power-related interactions between nen-users, I don't think much has changed. However, the way the fights themselves play out as far as outcome and other stuff go are a bit more complicated since fights in earlier arcs were much more standard shounen.

Also, specialists are still outnumbered quite a bit well into the Chimera Ant arc. Morel is very clearly a manipulator, which I assume was what started this thought as you mentioned ep 103.

I actually started thinking this when I saw the weird dart game stuff.

I'm not complaining that the fights are more complicated, because that generally makes them more interesting.

Haly

Aside for the Laughing Man storyline, I'm not sure.. but to be honest there's nothing like that in Psycho-Pass.

It was a strong series overall, having watched it recently (within the last 2 years), I know for a fact that it holds up. The Laughing Man arc is just the highlight of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom