• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
138501.jpg

Nothing can top my favorite LN waifu

It's just a shame that you didn't see in anime just how EVEN better she becomes

There's an anime based off this non moe character? I need a name for the anime.

Also everytime I see a Toonami ad for Attack on Titan I want to read episode 5 reactions.

ONII-SAMA The Animation 08

After a conversation about bloomers, spats, traditional female sportswear whatever you want to call it Onii-sama and friends have a discussion about how making and performing a certain kind of magic is impossible, thus prompting Onii-sama to make it anyway offscreen

fertygo

Fate/Zero S2 2

Okay yeah that episode was epic! I could see how Caster was confused.
Joan de Arc
does look a lot like Saber.

Rider is still being stubborn because he doesn't agree with Sabers ideals. So whatever. He's still kind of cool. Archer is awesome but still cray cray. And Lancer continues to prove why he's pretty much the best Servant in this Holy Grail War.

Wow, you probably gonna think eps 3 ruin the show lol

-Horizon-

Mangaka-san 8
That was...lewd.

Yowamushi 33
Are you sure that dude's human? This is going beyond exaggeration.

Love Live 8
Umi <3 of course I like Honoka as well <3

ONII-SAMA The Animation 08

After a conversation about bloomers, spats, traditional female sportswear whatever you want to call it Onii-sama and friends have a discussion about how making and performing a certain kind of magic is impossible, thus prompting Onii-sama to make it anyway offscreen
I was fine with "senpai!" last season and the one before that. But I've already had it up to here *raises hand above head* with "onii-sama".

sonicmj1

Some dude with no real attachment to Lawrence.

That's a lot less exciting.

Making Chloe someone with an existing relationship to Lawrence makes his decision to choose Holo that much more profound, but it's also nice because I felt like it gave him a sense of having existed prior to the story. Even though he had this wandering lifestyle as a merchant, he was already establishing other relationships with an outlook towards the future. Without Chloe, he'd seem like a much flatter character when Holo first arrives.

Articalys

Are there any other simulcasts recently besides Mushishi that are using TL notes in the subtitles? Though even Mushishi is only using it once per episode to explain the name meaning for the mushi-of-the-week.

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 20: The Sun

My Hide is back!!! Hideyoshi Mark II was epic
. Series will definitely get a rewatch just to fully understand all thats happening behind the scenes, the two dragons facing off was the highlight.

Crocodile

Same thing just without the "5 min episodes" clarification.

kbtV8zN.gif

Mahouka-8

The amount of ballwashing in this episode...

Like what the fuck, he solved a rather impossible problem in his spare time? Oh and he's fucking Spec Ops too. No wonder his sister wants the dick.

Excalibur face just reminded me how amazing the non-BONES'D parts of Soul Eater were. God I want a "Brotherhood" for that show so bad :(

sonicmj1

Well Rider said he
didn't recognize Saber as a King and more as a little girl. Archer never went that far and even acknowledged that she isn't wrong in what she thinks a King is supposed to be. Even if he was kind of mocking her while saying it. I agree that chasing the past is futile, but having the ideal that a King is a servant of the people, weak or strong, is a noble ideal. Rider pressed that a King must be a tyrant so he can be adored and remembered for being a true king
. That is a very greedy ideal. One I disagree with.

I rewatched this part of the episode to refresh my memory.

Firstly, Archer is even less charitable to Saber than Rider is. Even if you ignore how he continuously calls everyone around him "mongrels", he calls Saber, "this little girl calling herself King of Knights," before Rider fully engages her in dialogue while laughing in her face.

Secondly, the faults Rider finds in Saber are not solely related to her ideals. It's noble to wish for the prosperity of your kingdom and its people, to spread justice throughout the land. He criticizes her for how she lead. If she chooses to shoulder that inhuman burden of perfect, noble kingship, she has a responsibility to her people to believe earnestly in her actions, to act in the confidence that she has chosen the correct path no matter where it leads. If she can't bear that weight, and her own doubts leave her with regrets over what her reign accomplished, then she's a failure of a king. Her people followed her for nothing, because she couldn't trust them or trust herself. Why should such a person hold absolute power over a nation?

Saber can have whatever ideals she wants, but she can't be a king if she doesn't have the confidence to rule and to lead. Her regrets, and her desire to change the past, show that she lacked that confidence.

santeesioux

You know, I think I earmarked that Survival Game Club show a few months ago when I was looking at the early summer schedule. Good to see it at least has some pedigree behind it.

I wasn't going to watch it until i saw who was working on it, now i'll give it a try.

Midonin

Sailor Moon 05-06

One episode that had a Furby-like thing, and another episode that had no Mamoru at all, but instead featured a young Norio Wakamoto. I can understand why these were cut, and they were both interesting one-offs. The show's budget was clearly limited, since Usagi's new "attack" used the exact same footage as her old one. A friend of mine bought up that Shingo never does find out that his sister was Sailor Moon, given how closely he listened to her in episode 5, that was a lost opportunity. Also, Jadeite has a really tacky taste in business storefronts, and Beryl's crystal ball somehow doubles as a cassette player. The wonderful world of the 90s.

Firstly, Archer is even less charitable to Saber than Rider is. Even if you ignore how he continuously calls everyone around him "mongrels", he calls Saber, "this little girl calling herself King of Knights," before Rider fully engages her in dialogue while laughing in her face.

Secondly, the faults Rider finds in Saber are not solely related to her ideals. It's noble to wish for the prosperity of your kingdom and its people, to spread justice throughout the land. He criticizes her for how she lead. If she chooses to shoulder that inhuman burden of perfect, noble kingship, she has a responsibility to her people to believe earnestly in her actions, to act in the confidence that she has chosen the correct path no matter where it leads. If she can't bear that weight, and her own doubts leave her with regrets over what her reign accomplished, then she's a failure of a king. Her people followed her for nothing, because she couldn't trust them or trust herself. Why should such a person hold absolute power over a nation?

Saber can have whatever ideals she wants, but she can't be a king if she doesn't have the confidence to rule and to lead. Her regrets, and her desire to change the past, show that she lacked that confidence.
Rider is basically the ultimate tough lovin' bro. The guy from One Week Friends is like one of his many descendants.

I didn't look at it that way. Thanks for explaining that viewpoint. It sheds a but more light on the situation.

I don't disagree that her wish shows a fault within herself to lead. Her wanting to
change the past
is a disservice to the people who followed her. I believe however that what she did, she did do in absolute belief of her ideals and not wavering on them. It's human nature to feel some regret or wonder what you could've done differently to make your or other peoples lives better. Her wish is a disservice to her kingship and people, not her ideals. I just had a problem with Rider going so far as to even criticize her ideals when her ideals have nothing to do with her wish.

Plus it's not like Rider has much room to talk. I just think he lashed back at Saber because
she called him a tyrant and he was trying to justify why he had to be a tyrant like every tyrant ever.
;P

Quick question about Hunter X Hunter (2011).

I want to watch it, but what's up with the manga? Is the story going to end with all of the hiatus'? I just wanna know that it'll finish.

sonicmj1

Her wish is a disservice to her kingship and people, not her ideals. I just had a problem with Rider going so far as to even criticize her ideals when her ideals have nothing to do with her wish.

Rider doesn't criticize her ideals. He calls her a saint. He says she's not a king because she does a disservice to her kingship. That disservice is related to her ideals, but it's more how she goes about protecting them, by choosing to take everything on herself.

Plus it's not like Rider has much room to talk. I just think he lashed back at Saber because
she called him a tyrant and he was trying to justify why he had to be a tyrant like every tyrant ever.
;P

He did lash back at her.
It wasn't just that she called him a tyrant, but it was how she implied that he didn't care about his subjects. He feels strongly otherwise, and presumably there's a reason why thousands of other heroes supported him, and still do through his Reality Marble.

Just because he feels that way about his rule doesn't make him right or justified, of course. I guess it's up to you to judge whether his way of thinking is actually true, at least in the way he practiced it.

Articalys

I didn't get around to thinking up any new questions over the weekend. I apologize to all two of you who might have missed them.
(Though really, if anybody finds them annoying just let me know.)

Tonight's question doesn't really have anything to do with anime... well, maybe it does tangentially.

Do you consider yourself more of an indoors or outdoors person?

Myself, I'm indoors, probably unhealthily so. Really need to get out more as the summer months are starting soon.

Narag

I didn't get around to thinking up any new questions over the weekend. I apologize to all two of you who might have missed them.

Tonight's question doesn't really have anything to do with anime... well, maybe it does tangentially.

Myself, I'm indoors, probably unhealthily so. Really need to get out more as the summer months are starting soon.

I went outside for 20 minutes yesterday before returning to my secluded dungeon due to the sun.

Quick question about Hunter X Hunter (2011).

I want to watch it, but what's up with the manga? Is the story going to end with all of the hiatus'? I just wanna know that it'll finish.

We have no clue when HxH will end. There are still plenty of lingering plot points in the manga that need to be resolved and a new arc that should be massive has just started. It's all but guaranteed that the anime will be ending soon because they're almost out of material.

That being said, it's still a fantastic series that you should watch/read.

Berserk has restarted but nothing has happened.
I wouldn't get hopes up too high for either.
Actually that's a lie because I already did

Guts has one of the most gripping back-story's I've ever read. No-lifed the entire series in a couple days. I just wanted to start it knowing that chapters are going to release at a short span than years apart.

Newer chapters seem kinda short though, meh.

Superflat

Indoors. Always have been.

In my absolute worst state, I was incredibly withdrawn and stayed in my house for three years. It was legit hikikomori status. I'm still kinda struggling with it to be completely honest. I'm not as adverse to going outside these days but I still find myself coming up with shitty excuses to stay in when I get invited to go places.

BUT I went on a rigorous 2.5 hour hiking trail today, so I feel pretty darn good about that. My body wasn't ready for all that vitamin D.

Also, summer is the worst time to go outside. I hate the heat =_=.

We have no clue when HxH will end. There are still plenty of lingering plot points in the manga that need to be resolved and a new arc that should be massive has just started. It's all but guaranteed that the anime will be ending soon because they're almost out of material.

That being said, it's still a fantastic series that you should watch/read.

Yup! Gonna boot up episode 1 now...I read the manga a while back but got turned off but the art style but I hear it's more complete in the volume versions.

Keep that thought in mind and revisit it in a few eps.

I will. I am sure my opinion will change a bit about him when we get to his inevitable
childhood flashback (we've had a few glimpses)
. Still the way he went about it doesn't make him a better person. No matter how you slice it (excuse my language) that was fucked up what he did.

Rider doesn't criticize her ideals. He calls her a saint. He says she's not a king because she does a disservice to her kingship. That disservice is related to her ideals, but it's more how she goes about protecting them, by choosing to take everything on herself.

He did lash back at her.
It wasn't just that she called him a tyrant, but it was how she implied that he didn't care about his subjects. He feels strongly otherwise, and presumably there's a reason why thousands of other heroes supported him, and still do through his Reality Marble.

Just because he feels that way about his rule doesn't make him right or justified, of course. I guess it's up to you to judge whether his way of thinking is actually true, at least in the way he practiced it.

No doubt. I think it's up to the viewer to determine who you align your own ideals with. Rider definitely has more confidence in his own view of the world and ideals but that doesn't make how Saber conducted herself less ideal. She needs to find her footing better on her own ideals and be more confident about it.

Okay I laughed and feel a bit better. Still a little bitter though. :/

I really liked Lancer. That's not the way he should've gone.

Midonin

Fate/Zero 08-13

One of the very first pictures I came across this past October. Now I get its context. On Stage!

That discussion with Waver and Alex was one of my favorites in the series. I've been bringing this up with NGNL too, but a series that promotes the idea that it's okay to be weak will always speak to me more than something that tries to push being badass. Not everyone can be the latter, but to some degree, everyone is the former. It grounds people. Stories are about overcoming it, but also not about forgetting it. And though I compared him to Bravo/Pierre, I can see quite a bit of Kaito/Baron in Iskandar too. He speaks of power and living lavishly, but he's got a good heart of altruism underneath it all.

And for Saber, I appreciate all the little nods to her future, too. She and Shiro are a lot alike, especially at this point in her life. Her ideas were called out by the show, but at the same time, I'm sympathetic to her position. Wasn't sympathetic to Gilgamesh when I met him back in Stay/night, still am not. Everything from his character design to his dialogue is off-putting, but in a different way from Bluebeard, who's a more traditional kind of detestable.

I was anticipating the Rin episode, and I liked it. It felt the most strongly connected to the future, and Rin was cute and heroic. Her tsundere tendencies won't develop until later in life, so seeing one of the few signs of innocence and hope in this show was a welcome break before everything went all Cthulu. And speaking of references to the future, seeing Saber spend time at what would eventually become Shiro's house was a welcome sight.

Hell of a place to leave off on. Some good anime debuted in those three months in between, but given how serialized this is, that must've been quite the wait.

cajunator

Banned
She was indeed pretty cool in Arc 3 , but she got even better afterwards.
OH and rakushun is just ... just ...well i have no words that can bring justice to how well made / presented his character is

Rakushun is AWESOME. He just is. Best rat who isnt Nazrin.

There's an anime based off this non moe character? I need a name for the anime.

Also everytime I see a Toonami ad for Attack on Titan I want to read episode 5 reactions.

Yes, Twelve Kingdoms. Watch it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDF3lvPV3Lc

Mostly indoors the last decade, but I used to be in Boy Scouts and I would camp on weekends, hike, canoe, whitewater, wall climb, and go to Summer camp. I used to come back from camp with hundreds of bug bites and some cool stories to tell.
Nowadays, I pretty much stay home or around town and only go out on rare occasions or to fish.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
One Week Friends 08
Almost every single scene is just the most simplistic four beat interpretation that shows the 4koma roots. Everything winds up just being super predictable, and the show is hitting glacial levels of pacing with the romance it's pushing forward. The paralysis that exists with even acknowledging basic feelings turns the show into a void of nothingness, because there aren't even basic human attributes or desires attached to these miserable excuses for characters.

The jumbling together of these random 4koma scenes feels really lazy when you wind up with one character handing another a towel while they're still standing in the rain and telling them to dry off. It doesn't really help that every joke hits the same notes either, and the punchline that Hase is inept becomes extremely tired.

Fate/Zero S2 3

What Kiritsugu did was just terrible. Lancer.....
Honestly it doesn't surprise me that a person like you who enjoys black and white morality, at least from what I've read of your impressions, would find this repulsive. Like others have said you need to remember the end goal here and the game.

Lancer and Saber have a very antiquated way of thinking that honestly make sense considering their background. But in today's world it doesn't work that way. What a Shonen protagonist would call despicable a seinen protagonist would call effective.

This is such a fundamental difference between Shirou and Kiritsugu that bothers me so much. If Kiritsugu is Geralt of Rivia, Shirou, Lancer and Saber have Naruto syndrome. I'm tired of those. A character with depth whose morality isn't black and white tend to make for better characters to watch imho. Hence why Batman is so much more popular than say Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom