• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

It being effective doesn't preclude it from being despicable. That's kind of the point of Kerry's character arc, anyways -
it wasn't worth it. It never was.

It being effective doesn't preclude it from being despicable. That's kind of the point of Kerry's character arc, anyways -
it wasn't worth it. It never was.

It's like people forget that Kerry
failed, that his dream was a lie, and that he ends the series a broken dying man who will never see his wife or daughter again and the only thing left for him is to pass his curse onto the next generation.

cajunator

Banned
Seriously though, being outdoors can be REALLY awesome
gN06lVY.jpg

Some of you guys actually live within close driving distance of gorgeous places like this and you should take advantage of that sometimes and explore it.

Eusis

Are you questioning more "why are they making a PP VN game" or "why is it for the XBO"? Or both equally?
I think Steins;Gate was originally a 360 game so it's probably not worth trying to figure the latter out. Just gotta accept that someone at 5pb is a Xbox fan (or Sony sucks about approving this stuff.)

Nisekoi 20

jfYyXBQl.jpg

Worse girl ruins everything.

Exactly what I was expecting for a Nisekoi finale with extra doses of SHAFT. Bring on Season 2.

Puchimas!! 46-47

Bamboo shoots are the mysteries of life.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 32-33

I really like how Reika is pretty much the ninja of the team. No one expects her but boom, goals scored.

Isshuukan Friends 08

Of course right when they finally have the relationship talk, enter a new character for extra drama.

Yowamushi Pedal 33

I find it hard to believe singing out loud makes you bike better.

It's like people forget that Kerry
failed, that his dream was a lie, and that he ends the series a broken dying man who will never see his wife or daughter again and the only thing left for him is to pass his curse onto the next generation.
I want to specify that Kerry is Kiritsugu so people like psycho don't read those spoilers. I never said I forgot what the outcome was. Just that he did the action as effectively as possible.
It's a game that won't be won until the other heroes are vanquished. If you can avoid a fight and a chance for your hero to be wounded by cutting a deal it isn't exactly a bad idea. It wasn't with honor, but the game isn't about honor. It's about ends justifying the means.

I think the show has been one of the most effective indicators of what people believe in ethically on a fundamental level. I don't recall the proper terms since it's been a while but it's the two basic levels of thinking of determining whether ends justify means regardless of who you use to get there or the school of treating everybody equally and no situation calling for say taking a life.

Link Man

Banned
I didn't get around to thinking up any new questions over the weekend. I apologize to all two of you who might have missed them.
(Though really, if anybody finds them annoying just let me know.)

Tonight's question doesn't really have anything to do with anime... well, maybe it does tangentially.

Do you consider yourself more of an indoors or outdoors person?

Myself, I'm indoors, probably unhealthily so. Really need to get out more as the summer months are starting soon.
Growing up in Ohio, where winter is bone-chilling and summer is a sticky mess, I'd have to say I'm an indoor kind of person.

Dresden

I want to specify that Kerry is Kiritsugu so people like psycho don't read those spoilers. I never said I forgot what the outcome was. Just that he did the action as effectively as possible.

Nothing in your post - spoiler included - rebuts what Psycho called terrible, though. Kerry does terrible things. That's his character. Arguing about the effectiveness of it doesn't excuse the lacking morality of the act.

I think the show has been one of the most effective indicators of what people believe in ethically on a fundamental level. I don't recall the proper terms since it's been a while but it's the two basic levels of thinking of determining whether ends justify means regardless of who you use to get there or the school of treating everybody equally and no situation calling for say taking a life.

It's basically on Breaking Bad levels of nuance, which is to say, not much at all.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that a person like you who enjoys black and white morality, at least from what I've read of your impressions, would find this repulsive. Like others have said you need to remember the end goal here and the game.

Lancer and Saber have a very antiquated way of thinking that honestly make sense considering their background. But in today's world it doesn't work that way. What a Shonen protagonist would call despicable a seinen protagonist would call effective.

This is such a fundamental difference between Shirou and Kiritsugu that bothers me so much. If Kiritsugu is Geralt of Rivia, Shirou, Lancer and Saber have Naruto syndrome. I'm tired of those. A character with depth whose morality isn't black and white tend to make for better characters to watch imho. Hence why Batman is so much more popular than say Superman.

I understand that Kiritsugu is more of "the ends justify the means" type of person. Which is why I am so interested in him and actually remember his name compared to the other characters.

That being said what he does, while effective, is a terrible thing to do. It wasn't even gray. What he did was what he needed to do but that's no way to justify what he did. He
betrayed people
. Even the people closest to him. Having
Lancer kill himself was just horrific way of going about it and then turning around to kill the guy you promised not to kill
is not morally gray or white.
Saber could've taken Lancer. He betrayed Saber's trust, pride and honor just to do that stunt. Even Iris was horror struck.
That is what I am saying.

It does make make for good character progression and story though.

Nothing in your post - spoiler included - rebuts what Psycho called terrible, though. Kerry does terrible things. That's his character. Arguing about the effectiveness of it doesn't excuse the lacking morality of the act.

It's basically on Breaking Bad levels of nuance, which is to say, not much at all.

Ah. I assumed this was all coming down to hating the character, which he just said he still finds him interesting. At the end of the day the ending of his character arc is what makes the show as good as it is. As to nuance the show and the fate property were never about nuance. Breaking Bad isn't either for that matter. Everybody has a clear way of thinking that clashes all the time.

Either ways I was only arguing against thinking he was a badly written character or a bad protagonist. Whether you think his morality is fucked up, which let's be honest it is, is another story.

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!! 7

Yamada Aoi arrives, and immediately gives the manager sweets. I sense a rivalry with Yachiyo in the future.

Well, she's certainly a colorful character.

Oh my god, she actually said it. This could get interesting.

Or depressing. That works too.

Edit: Behold, Yachiyo the Depressed Cookie Monster!

ivQkBXBwfEa4X.gif

cajunator

Banned
Wagnaria!! 7

Yamada Aoi arrives, and immediately gives the manager sweets. I sense a rivalry with Yachiyo in the future.

Well, she's certainly a colorful character.

Oh my god, she actually said it. This could get interesting.

Or depressing. That works too.

Edit: Behold, Yachiyo the Depressed Cookie Monster!

ivQkBXBwfEa4X.gif

Make way for the best girl!

Branduil

Weekly Shonen Jump's newest series is out of this world! A gate to another dimension has burst open, and from it emerge gigantic invincible creatures that threaten all of humanity. Earth's only defense is a mysterious group of warriors who have co-opted the alien technology in order to fight back!

wow
such premise
very original

CorvoSol

Exercising my off topic community forum member rights: Growlanser IV or Persona 2: IS???

I've never played Growlanser but I'm currently playing P2:IS and the game parts of it blooooooooooooooooooow.

Yamato 10

Interdimensional space sure does look like under the ocean. Also shocking revelation that
Earth shot first. I'd be shocked but people spoiled that for me a long time ago and also it's sort of a pretty straightforward twist.

Now they have an alien hostage. Captain Kirk is pleased to learn that all space women are drop dead gorgeous, earning her the right to remain aboard.

Meanwhile so much space racism.

Eusis

I have both, gotta decide which one to tackle first.

P3, P4.
Well, P3/4 are way different and P2 DOES benefit some from P1 knowledge, but more importantly you'd probably want to go to Eternal Punishment afterward, which creates the somewhat awkward situation of going to a PS1 emulation after a PSP remake. Without the ability to carry your data over either.
Growlanser is the better game. Probably has better waifus too. Persona 2 is just a bitter reminder that Eternal Punishment PSP is forever doomed in English.
At least we have something, but Growlanser IV IS more stand alone, having no meaningful connections to games before or after it, so that's a really safe bet to go with.

Dresden

oath in felghana, eternal backlog

Growlanser is the better game. Probably has better waifus too. Persona 2 is just a bitter reminder that Eternal Punishment PSP is forever doomed in English.

I've never played Growlanser but I'm currently playing P2:IS and the game parts of it blooooooooooooooooooow.

At least we have something, but Growlanser IV IS more stand alone, having no meaningful connections to games before or after it, so that's a really safe bet to go with.

I'll go with Growlanser. Thanks dudes.

CorvoSol

Captain Earth 6

I almost feel bad for #SaltEDoge guy cuz he clearly was born sucky at his job. How hard is it to get that girl from the shore to the boat at gunpoint and out into the water before people are there? Come on, dude. Should've used stealth to knock her out first anyway.

Riposte

Just watched the two Legend of the Galactic Heroes movies that introduces the series. I'm afraid about a drop of quality going into the anime. Also, do I want to watch it or read the manga?

Eusis

Magica Madoka Episode 3

Welp, I wondered when it'd start turning darker, and not just Silent Hill-esque nightmare landscapes!

Chariot

Magica Madoka Episode 3

Welp, I wondered when it'd start turning darker, and not just Silent Hill-esque nightmare landscapes!
I aas bugged me when people acted surprised about that. The first minutes alone showed that Madoka is darker than your average MG show. Plus at some point the hype was loud enough to know it even without watching the show. And yet people still claimed how surprised they were if nothing at all indicated a darker tone.

jman2050

I aas bugged me when people acted surprised about that. The first minutes alone showed that Madoka is darker than your average MG show. Plus at some point the hype was loud enough to know it even without watching the show. And yet people still claimed how surprised they were if nothing at all indicated a darker tone.

I maintain that it was never "what happened" so much as it was the "how it happened", if that makes any sense at all.

My theory is that anime fans don't really have a long attention span.

Thoraxes

IDK if a lot of people just don't remember, but the advertising campaign for Madoka in the 6 months up to it's release did a lot to show none of the true colors of the show. I still remember the promo ads for the show.

It was heavily advertised as a cute mahou shoujou show for the longest time that once that first episode hit and the expectations were completely subverted, people became really interested.

Just watched the two Legend of the Galactic Heroes movies that introduces the series. I'm afraid about a drop of quality going into the anime. Also, do I want to watch it or read the manga?

The production values of the film are obviously well beyond the OVA series, but it's still a great watch. I'm not familiar with the manga, so I can't comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom