• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRancor

Just watched the two Legend of the Galactic Heroes movies that introduces the series. I'm afraid about a drop of quality going into the anime. Also, do I want to watch it or read the manga?
Watch it. Obviously the show will not match the movies in terms of production quality but I've never heard anyone recommending the manga over the show. Plus you get awesome classical music and voice actors.

Chariot

I maintain that it was never "what happened" so much as it was the "how it happened", if that makes any sense at all.
I think I know what you're saying, but that's not it.

My theory is that anime fans don't really have a long attention span.
Could very well be. I always cringe when I read episode thread and some people seem to have watched the anime on a second screen while fapping to sex slave chronicles.

IDK if a lot of people just don't remember, but the advertising campaign for Madoka in the 6 months up to it's release did a lot to show none of the true colors of the show. I still remember the promo ads for the show.

It was heavily advertised as a cute mahou shoujou show for the longest time that once that first episode hit and the expectations were completely subverted, people became really interested.
Sure, but people were surprised in episode 3. And then again in episode 7. In literally the first seconds you can feel something off. Plus even the happy parts have something sinister waning above them. And QB is maybe a hit to creepy designed, its just too obvious even with the cute voice.

Mokoi

Banned
I aas bugged me when people acted surprised about that. The first minutes alone showed that Madoka is darker than your average MG show. Plus at some point the hype was loud enough to know it even without watching the show. And yet people still claimed how surprised they were if nothing at all indicated a darker tone.

Yeah I was annoyed about that too. Also how people were claiming the show was the darkest anime to exist.

My theory is that anime fans don't really have a long attention span.

I believe your theory is correct. My friends put off a lot of shows just because the first episode was to boring. Fate/Zero for example.

Riposte

The production values of the film are obviously well beyond the OVA series, but it's still a great watch. I'm not familiar with the manga, so I can't comment on that.

Well, beyond production values, I really didn't like how the first episode was structured. Really messy plot with a lot of details missing and not much time to absorb what's happening. Hope it fixes that by the time it catches up. The two movies were fantastic though.

Thoraxes

Sure, but people were surprised in episode 3. And then again in episode 7. In literally the first seconds you can feel something off. Plus even the happy parts have something sinister waning above them. And QB is maybe a hit to creepy designed, its just too obvious even with the cute voice.

Once the show got started, for sure. I just think a lot of that (even throughout the series) had to go with the way they set up expectations before slapping it on good. I felt like it was a lot different when it was airing (and we were all none the wiser). Nobody was really able to predict anything (outside of the general tone once it got going), and it made for a fun sense of community at the time.

A lot of it has to do with the expanded audience it attracted though, too. It reached a lot more mainstream than many expected.

Eusis

I think I know what you're saying, but that's not it.
I guess for some it was less questioning how soon Game of Thrones would be getting dark, and more like just assuming it was going to be some light hearted fantasy adventure when it's anything BUT that? It certainly did get brutal faster than I expected admittedly, but I knew I wasn't in for some feel good adventure, if I expected that I'd have ignored the series entirely most likely.

. . . I also knew not to expect Madoka to just go magical girl at the drop of a hat after Pshyco's posts, even when trying to skip them.

Chariot

Once the show got started, for sure. I just think a lot of that (even throughout the series) had to go with the way they set up expectations before slapping it on good. I felt like it was a lot different when it was airing (and we were all none the wiser). Nobody was really able to predict anything (outside of the general tone once it got going), and it made for a fun sense of community at the time.

A lot of it has to do with the expanded audience it attracted though, too. It reached a lot more mainstream than many expected.
Oh yes, the speculation were great, I was actualy let down a bit by what really happened. All those weird, complicated theories with thousands of them crushed every week.

And well, Meguca.

I guess for some it was less questioning how soon Game of Thrones would be getting dark, and more like just assuming it was going to be some light hearted fantasy adventure when it's anything BUT that? It certainly did get brutal faster than I expected admittedly, but I knew I wasn't in for some feel good adventure, if I expected that I'd have ignored the series entirely most likely.
Yeah, ehen I'm home I gonna browse through some animeforums to start shaming people.

Mokoi

Banned
I'm guessing people didn't check who wrote Madoka. If your familiar with Urobuchi then you know he is going to kill off characters.

Thoraxes

Oh yes, the speculation were great, I was actualy let down a bit by what really happened. All those weird, complicated theories with thousands of them crushed every week.

And well, Meguca.

All the (eh, kinda spoilers)
"OMG WHEN IS SHE GOING TO BECOME A MAGICAL GIRL FUCK"
stuff was funny every single week.

Chariot

I'm guessing people didn't check who wrote Madoka. If your familiar with Urobuchi then you know he is going to kill off characters.
True enough, but most animefans not care that much. Those plebs just watch anything without even knowing studio or director.

All the (eh, kinda spoilers)
"OMG WHEN IS SHE GOING TO BECOME A MAGICAL GIRL FUCK"
stuff was funny every single week.
Sweet memories. I also liked the desperate cult that believed that
Mami is coming back any episode.
I also laughed at all the promo pictures with Madoka wielding a bow.

Eusis

I admittedly didn't look into that beforehand, though I knew he wrote Fate/Zero and the director did some of the other Shaft shows like Nisekoi (for whatever a manga adaption's worth) and Mekaku City Actors. Now that I look deeper into what the writer's credited for Saya no Uta... yeah, that says a lot.

I aas bugged me when people acted surprised about that. The first minutes alone showed that Madoka is darker than your average MG show. Plus at some point the hype was loud enough to know it even without watching the show. And yet people still claimed how surprised they were if nothing at all indicated a darker tone.

Well,
it was never clear if the series would maintain a normal magical girl series until just the end, or it would happen before. Also the execution, the beginning gave a clue of something big and dark and complex, but it didn't gave a clue of how fucked is the lives of magical girls in the series.

Mr.Jeff

You're making me curious about who Chloe replaced.
Chloe's replaced by the merchant that Lawrence and Holo both meet in the hostel(church?) they both stay in right after they meet. The one that offers the initial deal.

I seem to recall that the authour even made some comments about how well Chloe was handled and how he'd like to add her to the books.

Acosta

Maybe it was lack of experience (Madoka was the first anime I had watched in many years), but I must confess it really surprised me. Yes, I could see some dark undertone in the portrayal of the witches, but I never expected what happened in episode 3, it really shocked me.

Pooya

I admittedly didn't look into that beforehand, though I knew he wrote Fate/Zero and the director did some of the other Shaft shows like Nisekoi (for whatever a manga adaption's worth) and Mekaku City Actors. Now that I look deeper into what the writer's credited for Saya no Uta... yeah, that says a lot.

It's not like all of his works are like that though! the recent ones in particular :(((
he hasn't done anything good since madoka.

Thoraxes

True enough, but most animefans not care that much. Those plebs just watch anything without even knowing studio or director.

Sweet memories. I also liked the desperate cult that believed that
Mami is coming back any episode.
I also laughed at all the promo pictures with Madoka wielding a bow.

Hahaha yeah, that was the best.

Chariot

Well,
it was never clear if the series would maintain a normal magical girl series until just the end, or it would happen before. Also the execution, the beginning gave a clue of something big and dark and complex, but it didn't gave a clue of how fucked is the lives of magical girls in the series.
The amount wasn't clear, sure but people seem to have missed the general dark tone until episode three.

It's not like all of his works are like that though! the recent ones in particular :(((
he hasn't done anything good since madoka.
*slap*
Greetings from fate/zero and psycho-pass.

Eusis

The amount wasn't clear, sure but people seem to have missed the general dark tone until episode three.
Yeah, being completely oblivious seems kind of crazy. At best it was clearly going to be like Utena in that it slowly builds up and seems more and more sinister as times goes on. Instead I guess they got a little blood thirsty.

And Fate/Zero seemed to have been written almost a decade ago, so I'm not sure that really counts as "since."

Pooya

any of the above is fine

slice of life i guess you would call it

Hyouka could work then. Maybe it won't give you much insight to their daily lives but still an enjoyable slice of life, second part more so. Its genre is 'mystery' but it's really slice of life.

thanks guys :)

i haven't watched anime in years but for some reason i was hit with this really translucent flashback of summers in japan and afternoon suns and eating blue popsicles

wonzo

Banned
Well, beyond production values, I really didn't like how the first episode was structured. Really messy plot with a lot of details missing and not much time to absorb what's happening. Hope it fixes that by the time it catches up. The two movies were fantastic though.
Overture to a New War handles the events of the first few eps better than the OVA series but it gets considerably better once it gets into the swing of things.

Taruranto

I remember reading some, and it was booooring.

Fate/Zero S2 3

What Kiritsugu did was just terrible. Lancer.....

Kerrytsugu did nothing wrong!!!

uoIGuDx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom