• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Daze, I hope we get an instrumental version
tumblr_n6c6cwdb0H1snpb62o1_500.jpg

Going back to cg anime talk a future with it wouldn't bother me as much as it does others if the story is right. Like for example the berserk films don't bother me animation wise as much as others. By the third movie they had gotten the animation down right.

sonicmj1

Crest of the Stars 7

The scope of this story seems like it's way too far beyond what I'm going to get in these 13 episodes. I feel like I'm in the first third of the first book of an epic cycle of tales.

ihJFbdniSwObT.jpg
iQVXOseMjO1zV.jpg

"See, I just go to this window, up Zoom to 200%, and bam! Instant closeup!"

Luckily, it's pretty fun watching this stuff play out. It's kind of weird that I'm running into two power-mad rulers in two consecutive backlog episodes, but the power dynamics between Lafiel's abstract exalted rank and the Baron's concrete control of his miniscule speck of space make things more interesting. It's impressive the way that Lafiel just goes and does things, sure that she'll be able to make things break her way if she just pushes hard enough.

ibgVa40r9GMzaW.jpg

"And check out these neat effects I can add! Pow! Impact!"

Even so, I'm looking forward to getting off of this blasted hunk of rock.

The digital effects in this episode weren't common, but history has not been kind to them. Just because you can zoom in on the relatively low-res art you scanned into your computer doesn't mean that you should.

Going back to cg anime talk a future with it wouldn't bother me as much as it does others if the story is right. Like for example the berserk films don't bother me animation wise as much as others. By the third movie they had gotten the animation down right.

i feel kinda similar , but this was with : "Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova"

After Very weird first 10 minutes i got accustomed to it and i didn't mind it much.i was able to enjoy the story and the characters.

Chariot

I agree and the cg is getting constantly better. In a few year we will maybe have cg anime that looks like regular animated anime, only more fluid. That's what I hope at least. I liked Ars Nova very much.

edit: Haha, "beaten" with Ars Nova.

/XX/

Theres a certain look to anime in 2D that will be hard to replicate. If they can make 3D look "right" Im alright with it. If it looks stupid or final Fantasy-like I think a lot of people will just ditch it altogether.
Just for personal reference, my good pal cajunator... what examples of animated 3DCGI model work did you find aesthetically pleasing and closer to that look before? Kamikaze Douga and their work including JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series OPs, perhaps? SANZIGEN Inc., with for example P&SwG and B☆RS? Studio Khara's (or χαρα) digital dept. animated shorts and other work like their ED for SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION? Toei and their Pretty Cure series EDs? Polygon Pictures Inc.,? MARZA ANIMATION PLANET INC., and things like their Lupin The Third pilot film? Nothing, maybe?

Personally, I think it is more than mere potential nowadays how the look to accomplish is, we could say, achievable already while characteristic on its own in comparison. The rough 'keyframing' and difficult to achieve off-model motions are another problem entirely at this point in time, though.

wonzo

Banned
havent watched any animes lately but this weeks mad men and fargo were the pinnacle of tv as a medium. japan aint even tryin

cajunator

Banned
Just for personal reference, my good pal cajunator... what examples of animated 3DCGI model work did you find aesthetically pleasing before? Kamikaze Douga and their work including JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series OPs, perhaps? SANZIGEN Inc. with for example P&SwG and B☆RS? Studio Khara's (or χαρα) digital dept. animated shorts and other work like their ED for SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION? Toei and their Pretty Cure series EDs? Polygon Pictures Inc.,? MARZA ANIMATION PLANET INC., and things like their Lupin The Third pilot film?

Personally, I think it is more than potential nowadays how the look to accomplish is, we could say, characteristic on its own while achievable already. The rough 'keyframing' and difficult to achieve off-model motions are another problem entirely at this point in time, though.

Well, I like this ED animation from Miss monochrome. almost looks stop motion, but too smooth. Its sufficiently cute and well animated that I would accept this level of animation quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhEjnp5O58

duckroll

Haikyu - Episode 6

This is the total opposite of Ping Pong. It's shonen as fuck and not ashamed at all. I'm really enjoying it though. The characters are big and bold with colorful personalities, the action is really nice, and the animation delivers. I guess this is the first proper match being played in the show so far, and it certainly had all the expected ingredients. I like how when they introduce an ace on the other team, it's like a boss character showing up. Lol.

Haikyu - Episode 7

Really satisfying conclusion to the match. I think what really sells the dynamic action in the matches is how well they do the reactions and faces on the characters in the close ups as well. It just feels like a really polished and totally earnest execution of the shonen action genre. I liked the aftermath of the match even more though. It's really nice seeing these characters express their honest feelings to each other instead of holding it in and creating misunderstandings. It feels like a show where guys have their differences with each other, but they don't shy from it, and in turn that makes the competitive spirit feel much stronger. I love the tone of the show.

Theonik

Im going to go out on a limb here and guess Death and Rebirth does something unnecessarily stupid and ruins something.
It's just a retelling of the TV series whose contents were redone in the Director's cut of the series. (the MUST see version) and the End of Evangelion.
Also do (not) watch the (not) movies as they are pretty universally trash.

The scope of this story seems like it's way too far beyond what I'm going to get in these 13 episodes. I feel like I'm in the first third of the first book of an epic cycle of tales.
This is EXACTLY what Crest of the Stars is. It follows the story of how Lafiel met with Jinto and how they became closer to one another. The Banner of the Stars series covers their actual adventures.

/XX/

Well, I like this ED animation from Miss monochrome. almost looks stop motion, but too smooth. Its sufficiently cute and well animated that I would accept this level of animation quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhEjnp5O58
As we were talking about similar aesthetics primarily, I thought you would be more in favour of something replicating (or trying to) more closely the "feel" of the kind of Japanese animation we have accustomed to in here, isn't it? Like on this music video excerpt (one of the Studio Khara's digital department animated shorts I mentioned earlier):

超亜空間防壁チーズ・ナポリタン【GMO×スタジオカラーのフル3DCGショートアニメ!】 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7g-wnGDksk

This one without body motion-capture either!

sonicmj1

This is EXACTLY what Crest of the Stars is. It follows the story of how Lafiel met with Jinto and how they became closer to one another. The Banner of the Stars series covers their actual adventures.

There's nothing wrong with a series setting up for the long haul, but it really wasn't what I was expecting when I started.

cajunator

Banned
As we were talking about similar aesthetics primarily, I thought you would be more in favour of something replicating (or trying to) more closely the "feel" of the kind of Japanese animation we have accustomed to in here, isn't it? Like on this music video excerpt (one of the Studio Khara's digital department animated shorts I mentioned earlier):

超亜空間防壁チーズ・ナポリタン【GMO×スタジオカラーのフル3DCGショートアニメ!】 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7g-wnGDksk

This one without body motion-capture either!

What is that? cuties..

Theonik

There's nothing wrong with a series setting up for the long haul, but it really wasn't what I was expecting when I started.
There is when the author sets it up with promises but gets burn out midway only to release one book several years later.
But I'm getting ahead of myself.

/XX/

Hm... Not bad.
What is that? cuties..
みくも.com | 美雲あんずとこのは、たのしいふたりのサイト。C85にフル3D CGアニメで参戦!
http://xn--y8j1ek.com/

A commercial for GMO Internet, Inc., (http://www.gmo.jp/en/), a Japanese Internet service provider... this is an approximated representation of how their servers and firewalls work, apparently. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm only like forty-five mintues in, but the ANN Kill la Kill podcast isn't very interesting.

Panel is:
Zac
His girlfriend
Some guy who doesn't watch much anime but watched Kill la Kill four times
Some girl who doesn't watch anime

They don't really have a lot to say about it. For the two people who don't watch much anime it's their favorite show in the last ten years. Everyone on the panel thought it was fun and not very deep. Zac seemed dissapointed, because he clearly wants to start a fight with anyone who reads into the other themes the show never delivers on. He'll probably do that when they get to Twitter questions.

They had universal praise for the production and aesthetic of the show. They poop on Gurren Lagann for being too serious (even though one of them only watched the first and last episode of it). The only part that bordered on humorous was when one lady went off about how shonen shows always vilify individualism. Actually I lied, I probably almost laughed when Zac complimented the show's pacing. There was an offhanded joke made mocking "Space Anime 2159", but I don't think the guy who made the joke even knows what a Yamato is. It's...pretty much just what I expected. Kill la Kill is the perfect anime for people who are uninformed, and now you can listen to some lady bragging about how she doesn't even know if the studio is named Trigger.
That sounds about what I expected. lol
Erica Friedman runs Okazu/Yuricon, so it makes sense that she'd be on to talk about the show given all the lesbian incest stuff... at least, I assume that it comes up and she addresses it in some way at least.

But yeah, I can't even imagine why this thing is 2 hours given what you said about the first 45 minutes.

The horn goes gao gao.

e_i

Kill la Kill English Trailer

Nice. Nonon's voice is spot on. Can't wait to get this on Blu-ray.

*Sees July 15*
*Realizes the Madoka movies and the Anohana movie comes on the same day*
*Wallet dies*

June through August is going to be expensive.

TUSR

Banned

*Sees July 15*
*Wallet dies*

there. is. a. madoka. movie?

Clov

There's three! They've already all come out, but the edition being sold on the 15th includes an English dub of the first two. They're selling the import version of the third movie as well if you don't really care about dubs.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 84

So many different ranking systems. If there's one thing people on the web like, it's making lists. I am glad the episode ended with Mikuru placing on the top 20 of everyone's favorite idols, but it's not strictly necessary. Like the episode bought up, Ran excels at modeling, Mikuru excels at gardening (they have gardening ranks?) and everyone generally has their own thing. For the summer/beach motif she has going on, I can see why she'd get the Cancer ensemble. There's going to be one big performance that brings all of these together at the end of the year, no doubts.

TUSR

Banned
There's three! They've already all come out, but the edition being sold on the 15th includes an English dub of the first two. They're selling the import version of the third movie as well if you don't really care about dubs.

Are they all done by Shaft?

HappinessCharge! Precure 17

Hime plays with her

tm55VBd.png

(there was a reason after all!)

ORESKY SAID "MUDAMUDAMUDA"! BASED KOYASU

Some Woofington fanservice aside, Madp can now cast Double Fist, because Hito made him feel strong.

Anywho, HITOKAGE AND SEIJI'S BOND, MOSTLY ABOUT MADP, and how it fits that he doesn't like Seiji because he's ruining his side of the harem, Seiji attempting to beat up Nafe (I can see why you don't like him!), and apparently my exposed bloomers.

But really, it's like... I know it plays some cards in how madp is a bit hostile towards Seiji, but they sure did ramp it up, but I think Seiji grasps this and knows how to handle madp now. I think the weird part is that.... madp is like the tsundere of this whole thing.

Watching this though.... it reaffirms that I like his new avatar. Just looks right and quite frankly, I need to update my avatar.

*Is called a support Cure and won't be helpful* *Continues to pull shit like this* In regards to Cure Honey, so far, she's like... a combination of both Shiny Luminous and Cure Rosetta in terms of being a support. What's the difference? She doesn't SUCK, that's what! She actually... FIGHTS! She's basically them done right, and it's about time they got it down. Ramping up for Fortune to come into play, she briefly appeared for a bit in the previews so...

Midonin

Is The Order a Rabbit? 08

A combo movie/pool episode, and one that continues to affirm a lot of what I love about this show. By this point, the audience is familiar with the characters, so gags like Chiya taking notes in the movie theater, planning to reappropriate the dialogue for her menu items, works. Lots of good Rize moments and Sharo moment and everyone moments. Cocoa still can't tell coffee apart, and the running gag for this episode of "that ruined it" worked great.

In other GochiUsa news, a character song album has been announced in addition to the four duet singles.

cajunator

Banned
みくも.com | 美雲あんずとこのは、たのしいふたりのサイト。C85にフル3D CGアニメで参戦!
http://xn--y8j1ek.com/

A commercial for GMO Internet, Inc., (http://www.gmo.jp/en/), a Japanese Internet service provider... this is an approximated representation of how their servers and firewalls work, apparently. :p

Now THAT is marketing!

*Sees July 15*
*Wallet dies*

Youre telling me. I have to support my figurine habit too.
It sounds like a drug addiction but that would be cheaper.

Yes, but only one really counts. the first two are just the series abridged. The third is a standalone movie, and very controversial.

HappinessCharge! Precure 17

Hime plays with her

tm55VBd.png

(there was a reason after all!)

ORESKY SAID "MUDAMUDAMUDA"! BASED KOYASU

Some Woofington fanservice aside, Madp can now cast Double Fist, because Hito made him feel strong.

Anywho, HITOKAGE AND SEIJI'S BOND, MOSTLY ABOUT MADP, and how it fits that he doesn't like Seiji because he's ruining his side of the harem, Seiji attempting to beat up Nafe (I can see why you don't like him!), and apparently my exposed bloomers.

But really, it's like... I know it plays some cards in how madp is a bit hostile towards Seiji, but they sure did ramp it up, but I think Seiji grasps this and knows how to handle madp now. I think the weird part is that.... madp is like the tsundere of this whole thing.

Watching this though.... it reaffirms that I like his new avatar. Just looks right and quite frankly, I need to update my avatar.

*Is called a support Cure and won't be helpful* *Continues to pull shit like this* In regards to Cure Honey, so far, she's like... a combination of both Shiny Luminous and Cure Rosetta in terms of being a support. What's the difference? She doesn't SUCK, that's what! She actually... FIGHTS! She's basically them done right, and it's about time they got it down. Ramping up for Fortune to come into play, she briefly appeared for a bit in the previews so...

I need to catch up with this. So far behind with everything. Every single season I fall so far behind.

Link Man

Banned
Bunny Cafe 8

...never get Lize drunk.

*Warning* This is a hot springs/pool episode. *Warning*

Maximum lewdness.

Okay, that was a rather dull episode. Cute, but nothing really interesting.

duckroll

Haikyu - Episode 8

I remember early on in the series I commented that the show sort of felt like X-men, except with high school volleyball instead of mutants. This episode totally reminded me of that again. They introduce more existing members of the team, as well as problems within the club, everyone has their own special ability, the teacher tries to recruit a coach who doesn't want the job, etc. It really feels like the next couple of episodes will be about getting everyone back together to form a complete team. Shonen to the max, but I'm loving every moment of it. :D

As disappointed as I was with Vividred overall, the first two episodes were still really fun.

I honestly kind of liked where they were going with the first two episodes! But this entire fusion system feels like it belongs in a longer, better series. This show doesn't do anything creative with itself. It's all just...there.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 1-20

I can't believe I the whole arc in one day.

Once it sucks you in, it's very difficult to get back out. Ah, man I remember when the show had it's 20 episode arcs for a while. That was when the show had the best pacing. World-building is an important part of any Shounen and Hunter X Hunter did that brilliantly.

Chariot

It's because this Kickstarter is Euro only, sadly.
Can you ship to Australia, Germany, the USA etc?
Sadly in this case the rights for Patema Inverted are being sold by specific territories. At Anime Limited we hold rights to The United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and Monaco.
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH *throws bottle at the wall*

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That sounds about what I expected. lol
Erica Friedman runs Okazu/Yuricon, so it makes sense that she'd be on to talk about the show given all the lesbian incest stuff... at least, I assume that it comes up and she addresses it in some way at least.
They didn't mention that stuff at all based off the chunk that I heard. Like really...they don't have anything to say.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not even all of Europe :p
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH *throws bottle at the wall*
Anime licensing is funny!

They didn't mention that stuff at all based off the chunk that I heard. Like really...they don't have anything to say.
Welp. lol
I seem to recall their Watamote podcast had some interesting thing to say, even if it was Zac shitting on self-absorbed nerds for 2 hours.

Mr.Jeff

If it's any consolation, the following series all jump straight into the war from the get go, it's only really this initial series that focuses on Jinto and Lafiel's motivation as well as providing explanation for most of the main plot points in the series.

I don't mind the lack of anything in particular happening in the first series since it's still an enjoyable ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom