• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I know, but I meant more in the sense that the animators themselves are retiring/dying and there is no real interest in youth to replace them!
It will be interesting if Japan tries to keep their obsession with 2D after that and if the change in supply will affect the willingness of young animators to go 2D.

No that looks appalling.

I might be a little biased tho.

Theonik

Is it not already all Flash animation anyway?
No, most if not all western productions have fully transitioned to flash and CG workflows.
Japan mostly uses a Paper sketch, digital colouring, compositing, and then mastering.
BGs are often also painted by hand.

Eusis

It's just CG. Everyone knows deep down that it's the eventual fate of all animation, but I think anime fans just don't want to admit it!
Man, isn't that part of why some of us stick to anime? Though it does make it feel like Japan's more a last bastion holding out than anything else.

Madoka Magica Episode 6

I was wondering what the catch to all of this was... or part of the catch anyway.

Also I think I've finally seen every part of the show used to
make a .gif of Kyubey being thrown in front of a truck. Really, that was what got my attention for this series.

jgminto

Yeah I know, but I meant more in the sense that the animators themselves are retiring/dying and there is no real interest in youth to replace them!
It will be interesting if Japan tries to keep their obsession with 2D after that and if the change in supply will affect the willingness of young animators to go 2D.

I wouldn't be interested in slave labour either.

/XX/

Im pretty sure 2D will never fully disappear. It may become more niche but there will always be support for it.
2D is literally dying.
Well, in most of the world it already literally died!
While there are people who think like him:

Fiachra Gibbons said:
Sylvain Chomet: "A lot of animators, basically people who can draw, got scared by these wankers from Disney saying that 2D animation is dead, that it was only going to be 3D and Pixar from now on. It is just typical shit by people in ties who don't know what they are talking about. Are they saying that Aardman is dead, too, then? I mean how stupid are these people? Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France."
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/jun/10/sylvain-chomet-belleville-rendezvous-illusionist

The passion for striving a work worth of an antique's artisan never will die. A structure that mass-produces it in the same way it does now? Sure, but I think I will (and many will) be okay with just the remains...

cajunator

Banned

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/jun/10/sylvain-chomet-belleville-rendezvous-illusionist

The passion for striving a work worth of an antique artisan never will die. A structure that mass produces it in the same way it does now? Sure, but I think I will (and many will) be okay with just the remains...

Just as 2D gaming is still somewhat alive, traditional animation will live on in some form. Also anime kind of has stock in a certain look and unless studios can perfectly emulate that look, I dont think they can successfully do it.

duckroll

The passion for striving a work worth of an antique artisan never will die. A structure that mass produces it in the same way it does now? Sure, but I think I will (and many will) be okay with just the remains...

But I'm not talking about art, I'm talking about general entertainment. The artists can resist, but the direction of an industry is determined by people in ties. They hold all the money after all. As an artform anything continue to exist, that doesn't mean it's really "alive" as an industry.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm only like forty-five mintues in, but the ANN Kill la Kill podcast isn't very interesting.

Panel is:
Zac
His girlfriend
Some guy who doesn't watch much anime but watched Kill la Kill four times
Some girl who doesn't watch anime

They don't really have a lot to say about it. For the two people who don't watch much anime it's their favorite show in the last ten years. Everyone on the panel thought it was fun and not very deep. Zac seemed dissapointed, because he clearly wants to start a fight with anyone who reads into the other themes the show never delivers on. He'll probably do that when they get to Twitter questions.

They had universal praise for the production and aesthetic of the show. They poop on Gurren Lagann for being too serious (even though one of them only watched the first and last episode of it). The only part that bordered on humorous was when one lady went off about how shonen shows always vilify individualism. Actually I lied, I probably almost laughed when Zac complimented the show's pacing. There was an offhanded joke made mocking "Space Anime 2159", but I don't think the guy who made the joke even knows what a Yamato is. It's...pretty much just what I expected. Kill la Kill is the perfect anime for people who are uninformed, and now you can listen to some lady bragging about how she doesn't even know if the studio is named Trigger.

jgminto

I'm only like forty-five mintues in, but the ANN Kill la Kill podcast isn't very interesting.

Panel is:
Zac
His girlfriend

They don't really have a lot to say about it. For the two people who don't watch much anime it's their favorite show in the last ten years. Everyone on the panel thought it was fun and not very deep. Zac seemed dissapointed, because he clearly wants to start a fight with anyone who reads into the other themes the show never delivers on. He'll probably do that when they get to Twitter questions.

They had universal praise for the production and aesthetic of the show. They poop on Gurren Lagann for being too serious (even though one of them only watched the first and last episode of it). The only part that bordered on humorous was when one lady went off about how shonen shows always vilify individualism. Actually I lied, I probably almost laughed when Zac complimented the show's pacing. There was an offhanded joke made mocking "Space Anime 2159", but I don't think the guy who made the joke even knows what a Yamato is. It's...pretty much just what I expected. Kill la Kill is the perfect anime for people who are uninformed, and now you can listen to some lady bragging about how she doesn't even know if the studio is named Trigger.

...what? Even if you only watched one episode, how can someone think that? TTGL is a good story because it takes simple themes and builds the entire plot around those themes and the symbolism attached to it. The whole show is about punching robots and overcoming adversity. Even with this panel of experts, that just sounds unbelievably stupid.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
...what? Even if you only watched one episode, how can someone think that?
I think TTGL takes itself far more seriously than Kill la Kill does, even if they're both over the top. It's one of the biggest differentiators in tone between the two series. I am increasingly convinced that the audience for Kill la Kill is very different from Gurren Lagann. The other KlK podcast I listened to took a similarly dismissive tone to TTGL because it has mechs.

Theonik

...what? Even if you only watched one episode, how can someone think that? TTGL is a good story because it takes simple themes and builds the entire plot around those themes and the symbolism attached to it. The whole show is about punching robots and overcoming adversity. Even with this panel of experts, that just sounds unbelievably stupid.
Handpicked by Zac.

jgminto

I think TTGL takes itself far more seriously than Kill la Kill does, even if they're both over the top. It's one of the biggest differentiators in tone between the two series. I am increasingly convinced that the audience for Kill la Kill is very different from Gurren Lagann. The other KlK podcast I listened to took a similarly dismissive tone to TTGL because it has mechs.

Well, most things take themselves more seriously than Kill la Kill. Inferno Cop takes itself more seriously than Kill la Kill. The writer certainly didn't take Kill la Kill seriously.

Acosta

But I'm not talking about art, I'm talking about general entertainment. The artists can resist, but the direction of an industry is determined by people in ties. They hold all the money after all. As an artform anything continue to exist, that doesn't mean it's really "alive" as an industry.

People in ties have to sell stuff and they won't sell if they don't cater to the tastes of people, especially if those sales depend on a very small group of people with very specific tastes.

For example, if Sidonia doesn't sell Blu-Rays, won't people in ties read that is not the right direction to go?

My personal feeling, as little valuable as it can be, is that if 3D is going to replace 2D, it will need to be much better than Sidonia to do so.

Jintor

Certainly TTGL is more serious than KLK, but that's because KLK feels like it was made up on the fly (certainly the production stories paint it that way) and TTGL seems to actually have been plotted out in advance. It's only relative, anyway

Acosta

OzKTH0L.png

Not that I care about IntSaimoe, of course.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched that video. Her VA's delivery is superb and I can't imagine anyone else having the role now. As for ToX, she sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdge5zhDt4

Yeah, her theme is one of my favourites from the DAL OST. Probably my 3rd favourite of the non-vocal tracks behind Mission of AST and the orchestral version of the OP theme. Her VA's song (16bit Girl) is also my favourite of the individual songs.

I don't understand that first table, it must be some kind of alien message that is indecipherable for me :p

Thanks for the links! She sounds nice, but different of course, I was wondering if the made her put a "Kurumi voice" but I realized that Xillia came before DAL after all. I wonder how that process goes in terms of voice direction.

Your other links made me realize that DAL has a really great soundtrack, it´s part of the enjoyment of the show for me.

Acosta

I remember when the show had nice, small arcs like that!

Come on, that was even too fast! It was almost anticlimactic.

Of course, I would like a faster pace now, at this point the rest of the series looks a far, far, memory relatively to Chimera arc.

cajunator

Banned

Panel is:
Zac
His girlfriend

Why is it even a factor if a work of fiction takes itself seriously or not? a proper fictional world has its own set of rules and ideas that make complete sense in the context of itself and if it chooses to either joker around with those ideas or to play it straight, as long as its done competently I dont see why it should matter to those guys or anyone.

TUSR

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion Ep. 5

Finally getting around to watching this, im already getting the sense that this show will invoke massive feels in me. I can see all the Gainax eccentricities just in the first couple of episodes.

Should I watch the movies after the show, or go right to the 3 OVAs?

Black Bullet is a harem show that has way too good of animation and art style/design. If you can ignore how many lolis there are, it's a pretty fun show to watch. Writing is very comical in how cliche it is.
I want to slap everyone that isn't a main character in this show ... is it a side effect of the cliché writing ?
I'll die first. Only person from AnimeGAF I've ever called senpai is Corvo, and that's more because 90% of users here rides his Obama Obama
Maybe i'm part of the 10% because i have no idea what this means.

Nope, no regrets at all. It was good, it left me even more excited for the next episode than I usually am with most shows. Its going to be a real treat to see it come to life.

Also, on an interesting note, that was the first Light Novel I've read for an Anime series. Now I'm thinking of picking up some of the other ones for past shows I've liked (like the Toaru Majutsu no Index series)
It's a great choice. But the anime is far behind because the writter write at a very fast pace. so be warned that you have a lot of material to read. The 2 season of index cover 14 books after all.
If you want a good fun and crazy adventure i recommand reading high school dxd..it's not as perverted as you'd think given the franchise but it's very entertaining.

It's just CG. Everyone knows deep down that it's the eventual fate of all animation, but I think anime fans just don't want to admit it!
I just want so 2D too , in the mix.
Well, in most of the world it already literally died!
2D still lives in my heart !

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Neon Genesis Evangelion Ep. 5

Finally getting around to watching this, im already getting the sense that this show will invoke massive feels in me. I can see all the Gainax eccentricities just in the first couple of episodes.

Should I watch the movies after the show, or go right to the 3 OVAs?
Only movie you should be watching is End of Evangelion once you finish the tv series.

/XX/

Just as 2D gaming is still somewhat alive, traditional animation will live on in some form.
Yeah. Not just somewhat alive, but thriving nowadays with an avalanche of humble sprites and pixels garnering the 'big' publishers support.

Absolutely true. This medium's entertainment as it is consumed right now would probably never be the same. Concurrently, many on the Japanese animation industry talk about the decline of animators capable in certain subsets of skills not that necessary or important nowadays... for example, as it was said recently by people like Takashi Hashimoto (during The Wind Rises production), or Yō Yoshinari. I truly agree!

And you know, maybe I give to much importance to the future role of now hobbyists as incoming "full-fledged" independent animators, which hone their skills through tools that every passing day are more broadly available, and more powerful to boot. Sharing, comparing and perfecting them on this wide web. Schooling themselves in that art, although not just to make 'art' but something that can take the form of anything and everything. Creating collaborative works and boutique enterprises that treasure such traditional ways...

... but I'm 'naïve', yeah, there are little profits to gain from that and the industry is really "dying" in the aspect you mention. If the money (TV stations and production companies walled reigns) flings this way, I'll be cool with that as long as the workers can adapt to the changing situation properly and the works keep being fair projects I find entertaining. There is always something of worth and respect in the efforts of anyone.

TUSR

Banned
Only movie you should be watching is End of Evangelion once you finish the tv series.

My brother lent me:
-You Are (Not) Alone
-You Can (Not) Advance
-You Can (Not) Redo
(Those all sound really emo?)

-Death and Rebirth
-The End of Evangelion

And the TV series.

I was thinking TV series->Movies->OVAs

Chariot

My brother lent me:
-You Are (Not) Alone
-You Can (Not) Advance
-You Can (Not) Redo

-Death and Rebirth
-The End of Evangelion

And the TV series.

TVshow --> End of Evangelion --> Rebuildmovies

TUSR

Banned
Im going to go out on a limb here and guess Death and Rebirth does something unnecessarily stupid and ruins something.

phaze

My brother lent me:
-You Are (Not) Alone
-You Can (Not) Advance
-You Can (Not) Redo

-Death and Rebirth
-The End of Evangelion

And the TV series.

TV series ---> End of Evangelion. Didn't watch Death & Rebirth but I think it's mostly retelling of TV show, not mandatory. Then, if you still have enough sanity left, the Rebuild (Not) movies.

jgminto

My brother lent me:
-You Are (Not) Alone
-You Can (Not) Advance
-You Can (Not) Redo

-Death and Rebirth
-The End of Evangelion

And the TV series.

Watch the TV series, End of Eva, then the three movies. Death and Rebirth is just a recap movie. Some people also say to watch End before the last two episodes of the show. I didn't do that but it's an option.

TUSR

Banned
Awesome, seems unanimous to watch TV-->End-->(Not) Movies.

Kill la Kill English Dub

Bully la Bully Ryuko voice actress is better.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. Not just somewhat alive, but thriving nowadays with an avalanche of humble sprites and pixels garnering the 'big' publishers support.

Absolutely true. This medium's entertainment as it is consumed right now would probably never be the same. Concurrently, many on the Japanese animation industry talk about the decline of animators capable in certain subsets of skills not that necessary or important nowadays... for example, as it was said recently by people like Takashi Hashimoto (during The Wind Rises production), or Yō Yoshinari. I truly agree!

And you know, maybe I give to much importance to the future role of now hobbyists as incoming "full-fledged" independent animators, which hone their skills through tools that every passing day are more broadly available, and more powerful to boot. Sharing, comparing and perfecting them on this wide web. Schooling themselves in that art, although not just to make 'art' but something that can take the form of anything and everything. Creating collaborative works and boutique enterprises that treasure such traditional ways...

... but I'm 'naïve', yeah, there are little profits to gain from that and the industry is really "dying" in the aspect you mention. If the money (TV stations and production companies walled reigns) flings this way, I'll be cool with that as long as the workers can adapt to the changing situation properly and the works keep being fair projects I find entertaining. There is always something of worth and respect in the efforts of anyone.

Theres a certain look to anime in 2D that will be hard to replicate. If they can make 3D look "right" Im alright with it. If it looks stupid or final Fantasy-like I think a lot of people will just ditch it altogether.

Thoraxes

Im going to go out on a limb here and guess Death and Rebirth does something unnecessarily stupid and ruins something.

It was kind of like a middle-finger to the audience in some ways lol. Not stupid, but different.

Like death threats to Anno happened afterwards. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom