• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Guess I better ask you Doctor Bear. Why does some music give me goosebumps of excitement? Like listening to Attack on Titan's 'Attack on Titan' song.

I haven't personally studied that song, but a lot of it really comes down to the fact that your brain is wired to perceive specific frequencies put together with a response of endorphins. AoT music obviously hits that sweet spot as far as your aural perception goes. Beyond that there's a lot of relations to your association with the music too. Maybe you even get different visual cues when you hear the music that are subliminal.

Part of some studies are figuring out why people have any preferences/tastes at all, lol. No two people can actually hear the song the same because everybody's perception of sound is slightly different from another people because you straight-up are not physiologically someone else. There are studies being done that record brain waves and people's responses to music that are ongoing even today.

In the case of REVO though, the dude is just a good composer that has a really nice handle on pacing, instrumentation, orchestration, and phrase structures. I could probably go on about the way he shapes his music, or why orchestrating live winds with traditional rock setups is a good idea and how they intertwine, but I will spare you the boring technical stuff with words I would have to teach you. I don't feel like doing granular analysis right now lol

I always talk about composers who are really great with jazz theory too, like NARASAKI who did the Hanamaru Kindergarten OP or the Sekai Seifuku OP.

Vividred Operation - 9

9qGx0op.jpg

AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE HAPPENED IN THIS EPISODE.

An episode like this would have been acceptable if this were a longer show, but it's not! There's only three more episodes left and this episode was nothing but :sdburton. CAN WE GET BACK TO THE MAIN STORY PLEASE?!? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

I haven't personally studied that song, but a lot of it really comes down to the fact that your brain is wired to perceive specific frequencies put together with a response of endorphins. AoT music obviously hits that sweet spot as far as your aural perception goes. Beyond that there's a lot of relations to your association with the music too. Maybe you even get different visual cues when you hear the music that are subliminal.

Part of some studies are figuring out why people have any preferences/tastes at all, lol. No two people can actually hear the song the same because everybody's perception of sound is slightly different from another people because you straight-up are not physiologically someone else.

In the case of REVO though, the dude is just a good composer that has a really nice handle on pacing, instrumentation, orchestration, and phrase structures. I could probably go on about the way he shapes his music, or why orchestrating live winds with traditional rock setups is a good idea and how they intertwine, but I will spare you the boring technical stuff with words I would have to teach you. I don't feel like doing granular analysis right now lol

I always talk about composers who are really great with jazz theory too, like NARASAKI who did the Hanamaru Kindergarten OP or the Sekai Seifuku OP.

Doctor Bear If I wanted to know what love is, is it theoretically or statistically possible that somebody, who does not need to be in the immediate vicinity or be from the same country, could show me?

Dresden

Vividred Operation - 9

An episode like this would have been acceptable if this were a longer show, but it's not! There's only three more episodes left and this episode was nothing but :sdburton. CAN WE GET BACK TO THE MAIN STORY PLEASE?!? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

This show is targeting an audience who craves a different sort of plot than you.

Articalys

I know I asked if you guys could post more but that was overkill.
Haikyu - Episode 6

This is the total opposite of Ping Pong. It's shonen as fuck and not ashamed at all. I'm really enjoying it though. The characters are big and bold with colorful personalities, the action is really nice, and the animation delivers. I guess this is the first proper match being played in the show so far, and it certainly had all the expected ingredients. I like how when they introduce an ace on the other team, it's like a boss character showing up. Lol.

Haikyu - Episode 7

Really satisfying conclusion to the match. I think what really sells the dynamic action in the matches is how well they do the reactions and faces on the characters in the close ups as well. It just feels like a really polished and totally earnest execution of the shonen action genre. I liked the aftermath of the match even more though. It's really nice seeing these characters express their honest feelings to each other instead of holding it in and creating misunderstandings. It feels like a show where guys have their differences with each other, but they don't shy from it, and in turn that makes the competitive spirit feel much stronger. I love the tone of the show.

Haikyu - Episode 8

I remember early on in the series I commented that the show sort of felt like X-men, except with high school volleyball instead of mutants. This episode totally reminded me of that again. They introduce more existing members of the team, as well as problems within the club, everyone has their own special ability, the teacher tries to recruit a coach who doesn't want the job, etc. It really feels like the next couple of episodes will be about getting everyone back together to form a complete team. Shonen to the max, but I'm loving every moment of it. :D
I'm glad there's at least someone else still posting about the show who really likes it. Still amazed that it went from an almost certain brush-off for me to competing for the top spot of the season.
I honestly kind of liked where they were going with the first two episodes! But this entire fusion system feels like it belongs in a longer, better series. This show doesn't do anything creative with itself. It's all just...there.
Vividred Operation - 9

Yep, pretty much. Another one of those series that needed more time to work with its premise.
Looking and sounding good indeed. Really excited to see GGO finally.
Need that full trailer soon though.

Blade and Soul - 09

This ....

THIS WAS A GOOD EPISODE

They managed to do an episode that was good ?
MINDBLOWN

They managed to make an episode with good animation from start to finish ?

They managed to make an episode intresting , with a good sub plot and a worthy twist ?

They ACTUALLY managed to make me enjoy a blade and soul episode ?
Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2009_02.jpg

That moment when shit just hit the fan AT FULL FORCE
Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2009.jpg

It finally freaking happenned.

Did they use magic ? a sacrifice to the god of anime ?
No . The answer is simple.
They got rid of the normal sub plot and they gave alka emotions !!!
That's right after 8 episodes , in this one , alka gain emotions and what a set of emotions ! Confusion , hope , hapiness , despair ..oh that despair felt good...it felt so good.
Alka finally have a legitimate reason to travel, alka finally is worth seeing in action .it's finally worth seeing what choices she will make down the road and how she would react to those.

The backstory of the proprietress wasn't bad. It was certainly fast but it got the point across .. That moment when alka realised that she was in a bad spot was priceless.
That reveal and that fight wasn't much but damn it felt good.
The heroine of this show is finally human and teh show get so much better because of it. too bad the body count still increased but here it make the following events much more fun to see.

If they manage to keep this up , Blade and soul won't be a trainwreck ! They have a decent chance to do a worthy finale because of it.

This show is targeting an audience who craves a different sort of plot than you.

Then why did they set up all this mystery? Why'd they have to make a premise that was actually somewhat intriguing and not expand on it?!?

No. They tried to go half-and-half and squeeze it in all at once, and it's not working out with the amount of episodes this show has.

Lain

No Game No Life 8

This show keeps getting better with each episode, be it for the comedy or references but also for certain plot choices. I really liked the way the episode ended. The title for the episode fit perfectly.

Frozen

What a beautiful movie. Bought it a couple days ago and watched it yesterday. The scene where Elsa builds the castle is so damn beautiful and the little twist at the end came right as I had lost any suspicion for it
I was sure the prince would turn out to be an asshole but as it went on and it looked like he was a good guy through and through I had given up and them wham, he turns into an asshole
I wish it lasted a bit longer though, the see a bit more bonding between the two sisters.

Question:

So Jojo has like 8 parts? And Part 3 is being animated now, do I watch the 1st 2?

EDIT:The fanservice is a bit extreme but Code Geass also had plenty of fanservice and was still pretty damn good. NGNL is also pretty damn good.

jgminto

Question:

So Jojo has like 8 parts? And Part 3 is being animated now, do I watch the 1st 2?

EDIT:The fanservice is a bit extreme but Code Geass also had plenty of fanservice and was still pretty damn good. NGNL is also pretty damn good.

You should watch the first season first, which is the first two. As someone who has read the entire series I don't think 1 and 2 are as good as 3, though some will disagree, but they're still really entertaining and do set up some character stuff for part 3. If you've got the time to watch the extra 26 episodes, do it.

fertygo

Ping Pong - 08

Poor Kong :(
TBH this eps doesn't excite me because the looks is on rather ugly side again after magnificently beautiful eps 7, oh well..

Eps 8 preview looked good though.

Question:

I would advise you watch the first Season which covers part 1 and 2.
It's not 100% needed, but it's 100% recommended.

cajunator

Banned
Nananananananananananana 08

How many more characters and factions are going to be added in this show, I have enough trouble remembering everyone's names as it is.
At least the red head girl showed up for like two minutes.

Just remember that Tensai is the best and the rest doesnt matter.

Is the Order a Rabbit? 1

I hesitate to wade into this subject, but I find the display of these young girls in their underwear to be more creepy than when they're straight up naked in a bath. The latter has a certain amount of naturalness, particularly with the water hiding all the features, whereas the former feels more like gratuitous sexualization. It's especially jarring with the cute artstyle that this series utilizes in which all the girls appear extremely young.

Other than that unfortunate aspect, this is a mildly amusing example of the cute girls genre - I am fond of the not-really-a-rabbit mascot - but it lacks that spark of incisive characterization that sets apart a truly great show such as Love Lab. Not sure if I'll watch more.

I love this show to death but the panty shots and such are definitely unwarranted. The show still remains cute but cautiously so.

On the subject of podcasts...

a few friends of mine wanted to start an anime-related podcast/video thing, so we just hit the ground running and made a few discussion videos to get our feet wet.

This is the most recent one where we talk about the first impressions of this Spring Season. It's uh, long. We covered 22 shows lol.

So if anyone wants to hear an AX staffer, AMV judge, and a Japanator guy try to talk about anime, I welcome any kind of feedback.

Ill check it out later thanks for the link!

Sailor Moon 5

Man this can be a pretty fucked up show at times, what the scene of the poor starving dog digging though the trash to then be ignored by Shingo and his friend? Then to follow it with a scene of a cat being kicked? Damn this is like a completely different series to what I remember as a kid lol

Oh you have no idea whats coming up then. This show hasnt really begun to show you how fucked up it can get.

For the past hour I've been drooling at this Cintiq. I haven't seen any models since maybe 5+ years ago, and they look WAY better and more practical now than ever. Fawk. For the love of crappy anime doodles I want this.

How much do these cost? Ive been wanting a drawing tablet that displays the drawing on screen, because those off screen ones just confuse me and I cant get used to the disconnect.

Fucking Organum and Discant lol. Once you get past that the listening wasn't so bad.

Nah, those would be the music therapists! I'm in academics and theory/composition. I can tell you how music is built, what's actually in the piece, how it functions, and why you perceive it the way you do. And i've had pieces recorded by orchestras.

Theres a reason I call you AWESOMEBEAR!

Part of some studies are figuring out why people have any preferences/tastes at all, lol. No two people can actually hear the song the same because everybody's perception of sound is slightly different from another people because you straight-up are not physiologically someone else. There are studies being done that record brain waves and people's responses to music that are ongoing even today.

Perhaps this is the reason why I prefer Precure Memory over Tomorrow song. SOmething in it triggers me differently, although I very much enjoy Tomorrow Song and everybody thinks Im crazy (well I mean they already do)

No Game No Life 8

This show keeps getting better with each episode, be it for the comedy or references but also for certain plot choices. I really liked the way the episode ended. The title for the episode fit perfectly.

Frozen

What a beautiful movie. Bought it a couple days ago and watched it yesterday. The scene where Elsa builds the castle is so damn beautiful and the little twist at the end came right as I had lost any suspicion for it
I was sure the prince would turn out to be an asshole but as it went on and it looked like he was a good guy through and through I had given up and them wham, he turns into an asshole
I wish it lasted a bit longer though, the see a bit more bonding between the two sisters.

Frozen is a really good movie. It definitely left its mark on people as one of the betteR disney productions and of course that song. I think it has so far grossed #5 all time at the box office worldwide. Absolutely phenomenal success story.

WIXOSS 09

Thought you were getting your weekly dose of PABLO POWER? Well TOO BAD.

Seriously, that's it.

BUT WHAT KIND OF SHOW IS IT? IM DISAPPOINTED>

Articalys

Ping Pong ep.8

HERO KENZAN indeed. Like others said the BGM was phenomenal this episode. And they even brought back the good version of the ending song!

Midonin

Kamisama Kazoku 01-04

For a story about a family of gods, this show feels largely down to earth. There's an intact, loving family, which is giving me similar vibes to what I've seen of Karin and shows of its ilk. That seems to be a recurring trend for little sisters that only shows up in things like this. Anju Maaka, Meme in this show and Mero in Sankarea are all cast in the same mold. Not a lot has happened in four episodes, because more than anything, the show looks to be rooted in a love triangle.

I accidentally spoiled myself on what Kumiko's deal is, but that's not going to affect what I saw in the first four episodes. In that Tenko is clearly the best girl. She's energetic, she has Ami Koshimizu as her voice, that cute way she lets out steam when she gets embarrassed. She's some sort of cross between a childhood friend, a tsundere and a maid (or guardian angel as they call it here), which does stand out.

For the "god" aspect of the family, the show uses some Greco-Roman imagery in the OP, but the family themselves don't appear to be aligned to any particular religion. They have a guardian angel in their family that takes after the ubiquitous "winged humanoid" depiction, yet the mother is named Venus (complete with Birth of... pose reference) and I'm pretty sure they'll get some Shinto in there if they can. I might be looking too deep into the theology of a romance-based light novel, but that's what makes it fun.

Also speaking of the gods of antiquity, Samataro's mom mentioned she fell in love with her husband because he manipulated her emotions, in the literal sense. And Meme and Misa have no compulsions about doing that to random bystanders in the pool episode and to Kumiko (in the three legged race). I thought that was his dad's thing because he was a Zeus analogue, but all gods consider human emotions something fun to freely manipulate. It plays it for comedy, but that's one surefire way to establish that they don't really care for us mortals.

I like the OP - which is good, because variations of it are used a lot through the show - and the ED is alright. Tomorrow's episodes also have some good names among them. Yasuko Kobayashi and Reiko Yoshida. Neat.

Also, that whole "I wish to be human" sequence ended up feeling like a weird dream.

If you've not watched Clannad there's probably *somebody* who would want you to do that...

:]

Are people asking for me to bring back the Clannad Challenge? Because I am totally willing to bring that back.

There's twins. Ryou and Kyou Fujibayashi. No magic tree though, unless you saw the movie and thought the tree in that was magical for some reason.

Yup. No magic tree. Though that would've been cool.

Clannad After Story is so good.

Link Man

Banned
:]

Are people asking for me to bring back the Clannad Challenge? Because I am totally willing to bring that back.

Yup. No magic tree. Though that would've been cool.

Clannad After Story is so good.
I've got a challenge for you. Complete this year's Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta (registration stating soon), and I'll watch both Clannads.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 37

Even in the end, they are still aiming for the stars.

Puchimas!! 50

Suddenly it got all 3D.

No Game No Life 08

Man, that ED was really well done.

Nobunaga ZA FOOL 20

Oh snap, Nagamasa done it. Death flag incoming.

Jex

Could you point me in the direction of some decent ones? I listen to tons of podcasts at work, but those are mostly gaming-focused.

Edit: I see your AWO mention so i'll check that out first.

By "some" I basically mean "one". If ANN has cool guests it's worth listening too as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom