• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Saint Seiya Omega 2-3

2 was a bit dull, and its setup of "I'm going to take a random journey and randomly bump into people just because" laughable, but 3 was enjoyable. The more developed setting for characters to play off each other helped. Yuna is an interesting character, and I liked how the show handled the issue of her mask.

Besides all the Umakoshi, this show has some really nice detailed art:

Not quite Kenji Matsumoto level though. I hope that guy does something again in the near future.

Yeah they've been throwing in some impressive background pieces here and there during the show. That 2nd shot is one I especially liked.

Jarmel

Banned
Sankarea 3-

DEEN you need to permanently hire this man and have him direct all your shows.

It's probably better to keep expectations tempered with how people have said the manga plays out.

This is much better than the manga so it might turn out good.

It's not really "super bad" so much as just extremely disappointing coming from the director of Sword of the Stranger. :p

Canaan did have good action sequences. The problem was the absolute shit dialogue and narrative.

wonzo

Banned
Derpy clock.
It sums up the overall attention given to consistency in the production of Mirai Niikki, a trainwreck of a story combined with terrible production values apart from the second last episode. It was an incredibly enjoyable series for connoisseurs of off model animation such as myself!

Jarmel

Banned
But imagine what he could do surrounded by a competent staff.

He's apparently doing just fine where he is. Also it seems most of the staff is competent anyway as they're not part of DEEN normally. I do have a feeling if he keeps this quality up throughout the show then he might get some offers from other studios anyway.

He's apparently doing just fine where he is. Also it seems most of the staff is competent anyway as they're not part of DEEN normally. I do have a feeling if he keeps this quality up throughout the show then he might get some offers from other studios anyway.

Well, the episode directors of 2 and 3, several of the animation directors, and a couple other staff are DEEN people. Omata could definitely do better.

Jex

Saint Seiya Omega 2-3

Besides all the Umakoshi, this show has some really nice detailed art:

QFfiK.jpg

Not quite Kenji Matsumoto level though. I hope that guy does something again in the near future.

Fans of background art are certainly being spoiled this season! Then again, so are fans of good anime in general.

Steroyd

So what happened?! I really don't want to watch this thing. :p

Kakeru hit his head and went into Suguru mode, then after dribbling through the whole team he snaps out of it and doesn't remember anything, the team comes back from 2-0 down with Kakeru doing some mythical faint that made the ball disappear and scores the winner, insert a heartfelt speech on how losing a match isn't the end of world etc etc.
And the next episode looks to be jumping more into the heart business of how he's retained the previous owners memories and crap, how deep does this rabbit hole go!!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kakeru hit his head and went into Suguru mode, then after dribbling through the whole team he snaps out of it and doesn't remember anything, the team comes back from 2-0 down with Kakeru doing some mythical faint that made the ball disappear and scores the winner, insert a heartfelt speech on how losing a match isn't the end of world etc etc.
And the next episode looks to be jumping more into the heart business of how he's retained the previous owners memories and crap, how deep does this rabbit hole go!!
Inferior football animu is inferior.

So I'm looking at Yu Yu Hakusho on Amazon, and I was just wondering is it worth spending the extra money on the Blu Rays? Unless it is vastly better, I might just go for the DVD sets.

cajunator

Banned
A lot of anime blurays arent worth the extra cost unless they are legitimately enhanced. Many of them are just upscales and dont look appreciably better.

wonzo

Banned
I'm glad I dropped this at episode 5.

So I'm looking at Yu Yu Hakusho on Amazon, and I was just wondering is it worth spending the extra money on the Blu Rays? Unless it is vastly better, I might just go for the DVD sets.
The BD's look fantastic from what little I've seen. Definitely worth it for the remastered Dub alone.

All thes bread pictures make me "hungry"

The price of the Blu-ray version looks okay, so I would buy it.

+ better video and audio quality

Risette

A Good Citizen
A good upscale is still worth buying over the DVDs because MPEG2 is kinda lame, especially when it's capped to 10Mbps.

but the dub for yyh is great. i'll give it a rewatch with subs in the future though!
Dub Kurama sounds like a dork, which is a shame. Japanese Kurama is fabulous.

Alright cool. I wasn't sure if they actually did a good job with the releases, as I've heard of a lot of butchered releases for anime stuff, but it sounds like they actually made good releases.

Also, is there any chance Cowboy Bebop is going to get a Blu Ray release anytime? I don't want to buy the DVDs, and then a better release come out later.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Also, is there any chance Cowboy Bebop is going to get a Blu Ray release anytime? I don't want to buy the DVDs, and then a better release come out later.
Yes, HD masters already exist, they just haven't released them yet. They downscaled them for the recent DVD release in Japan.

wonzo

Banned
Fistbump to DTL for bumping the tsuritama thread.

A lot of anime blurays arent worth the extra cost unless they are legitimately enhanced. Many of them are just upscales and dont look appreciably better.
It depends on how old the series is and just how good the upscale is. Compare the R1 DVD's to the BD boxset release of Baccano! which were much better than what the North American audience got before.

Yes, HD masters already exist, they just haven't released them yet. They downscaled them for the recent DVD release in Japan.
Alright, I'll hold off then.

It's kinda nice how cheap anime is compared to when I used to watch it. I remember when Dragon Ball Z DVDs were like $25 each, and had like 3 episodes. Now you can get whole series of a lot of the shows I used to watch for a fraction of what it would've cost ten years ago.

Jex

It's just weird voyeurism. Even if you're here to laugh at the people who post in here in order to affirm your own sense of superiority... that's still some special kind of sad. If anything, that's almost something to be pitied.

Man, firehawk12 isn't very :firehawk today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom