• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Iketeru Futari 1

Was great for how short it was, and right up my alley too. Um, not sure what else to say. Guy wants to hook up with a cute girl so he steals his dad's cell phone, winds up finding a petite girl who likes to prank call old perverts and watch them make fools of themselves. And then they go on a date.

*adds to backlog*

Iketeru Futari 5
wv2Tm.png

Tongue fetish?
Dammit, Yuuki wasn't in this episode either... Well at least there's a new girl thrown into the mix. She's also apparently Koizumi's lover, or something. Koizumi doesn't really seem to like her either though...
kIaAW.png

Watch out for her nose, it might poke out your eye.

Defuser

Kawahara Yoshihisa, Shimono Hiro, Haruka Tomatsu,Uchiyama Kouki have join the cast for Binbō-gami ga!

I'm surprised this being a sunrise comedy show they didn't cast in Tomokazu Sugita.

Articalys

Weekly Blu-ray & CD rankings for May 28th - June 3rd:

Slow week is slooooooow

Blu-ray
*1, 4,818 48,081 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 3,760 *3,760 Tamayura: Hitotose vol.6
*3, 3,504 *3,504 Senki Zesshou Symphogear vol.3 Limited Edition
*4, 2,710 *2,710 Shakugan no Shana III vol.6 Limited Edition
*5, 2,108 18,484 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*6, 2,108 19,560 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.6 Limited Edition
*7, 2,073 17,950 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*8, 1,197 *5,645 Durarara!! Blu-ray Box
*9, 1,071 *1,071 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.3 Limited Edition
10, *,938 *5,727 Guilty Crown vol.5 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 1,692 *,**7,793 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*2, 1,340 *,*11,526 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
*3, 1,121 *,**1,121 Shakugan no Shana III vol.6 Limited Edition
*4, 1,107 *,**8,622 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*5, 1,059 *,**5,689 Inu x Boku SS vol.3 Limited Edition
*6, *,947 *,**6.856 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*7, *,891 *,**2,542 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
*8. *,883 *,***,883 Beelzebub vol.12
*9, *,874 *,**3,935 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 vol.6 Limited Edition
10, *,765 *,***,765 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.3 Limited Edition
11, *,748 *,***,748 Tamayura: Hitotose vol.6
12, *,701 *,***,701 Tight-rope vol.1
13, *,679 *,***,679 Senki Zesshou Symphogear vol.3 Limited Edition
14, *,641 1,138,186 My Neighbor Totoro
15, *,591 *,**3,985 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi vol.4 Limited Edition
16, *,448 *,**2,903 Eureka Seven DVD Box vol.2
17, *,378 *,**2,603 Highschool DxD vol.3
18, *,367 *,**2,439 Bleach Gotei 13 Tai Shingun Hen vol.4
19, *,346 *,*18,203 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Limited Edition
20, *,342 *,**1,816 Guilty Crown vol.5 Limited Edition
21, *,338 *,**2,405 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
22, *,318 *,***,318 Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game
23, *,314 *,**1,196 Kimi to Boku. vol.6 Limited Edition

Single CD
*9, 13,875 13,875 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ Duet Song "Koi no Double Punch"
12, *7,575 *7,575 Jormungand "Borderland"
17, *6,233 *6,233 Sakamichi no Apollon "Altair"
21, *5,551 30,465 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Taiyo iwaku Moeyo Chaos"
30, *3,405 *3,405 Eureka Seven AO "stand by me"
32, *2,635 *8,874 Kuroko no Basket Character Song vol.3 Ryota
33, *2,570 *8,485 Kuroko no Basket Character Song vol.1 Tetsuya
36, *2,218 13,766 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Zutto Be with you"
40, *2,066 27,966 Accel World "Chase the world"
43, *1,988 26,495 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "Real"
46, *1,877 16,135 Tsuritama "Tsurezure Monochorme"
50, *1,548 14,342 Accel World "→unfinished→"

Jex

Akirascuro wrote a good post on how Sakamichi no Apollon doesn't make good use of the setting.
https://akirascuro.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/sakamichi-no-apollon-and-the-failure-of-setting/

I find his argument rather odd in places, even if I might fundamentally agree with his conclusion.

Firstly, he spends the entire post chiding the show because, in his view, it fails to make effective use of its setting. There's nothing wrong with doing this of course. For example:
Sakamichi no Apollon really fails to utilize its setting effectively. It’s quite a shame.
His Christian faith is nothing more than a marker. It’s all very cosmetic and superficial.
Overall, the musical scene of 1967 seems awfully monotonous in Sakamichi no Apollon.
It is superficial and does not truly engage the 1960s.
These are all points that he argues for, but then right at the end when it's time to draw the conclusion:
The tale it tells is “timeless”, which does not necessarily preclude it from being good. It simply precludes it from being tied specifically to the historic moment of its own setting. Whether that’s good or bad is up for debate.

This is your classic 'weak' conclusion that you see tacked onto essays when the writer doesn't really want to take a stand one way or the other. This evasiveness damages the piece as a whole, because it seems pretty to clear to me that when you to go to these lengths to write an argument abut how an aspect of a show doesn't work you're pretty sure that it is a bad thing especially given the tone of the piece as a whole. If he'd just come out and said that in the conclusion I'd have more respect for the piece. Still, if he did come out and say that it was a bad thing for the show not to fully engage with its setting then he'd actually need to come out with an argument for why failing to engage with your setting is a bad thing for a story.

There are a couple of minor problems as well, such as this line:
For example, he never quotes scripture or prays outsides of church.
I don't necessarily think that Christan characters, or in fact Christian human beings, need to regularly quote scripture to demonstrate there faith. That seems rather simplistic.

This line isn't great either:
Frankly, I think it is fair to say that the creators of Sakamichi no Apollon did not think too carefully about the show’s setting.
No, I am afraid it's not 'fair' to say that when you haven't presented a particular argument about the mindset of the creators. Don't bother making unargued conclusions part of your argument, it's sloppy.

I only bring these complaints up because they mar what is otherwise a very reasonable and eloquent post about Kids on the Slope.

/XX/

After 2ch's negative to concede permission for the typical "news" aggregator blogs on extracting comments posted there from their users, this blogs are now using a loophole as the same messages are appearing on other places like ChatChan, and are being lifted directly from those sites afterwards. The digital flow of information is uncontrollable...
sorry, La-li-lu-le-lo!

Dat Yamato OP

I never watched this as a kid, but this makes me wish I had.
In my opinion this opening permeates love for the original work on every scene. It makes a good job presenting the principal elements of this series while being short and to the point. I'd say Mr. Anno and Mr. Izubuchi work on this was spot-on, but some things in the implementation of their envision, and the direction for those CGI models makes what would have been good shots of the battleship's powerful presence (most important thing expressed here) feel weightless.

Avatars were never disabled. I don't know what you guys are talking about.
If I remember correctly it happened on other occasion that avatars were disabled, but this time you have even made a thread about it! This scorn directed to temporarily avatar-less peasants must be stopped, you become too powerful when that happens (like a 'Messiah' for this forums).

duckroll

Apparently Dogakobo asked JD Bahi to work on Yuru Yuri, but he declined because he doesn't like the show. Should've asked him to work on Natsuyuki.

He can say that now. But when he's actually living in Japan and barely making rent and living off cup ramen, he'll take whatever he can get!

Morris

Disco Devil
Rose of Versailles 39

gEncP.png

Wow, this episode was the saddest thing ever.
ANDRÉ WHY ;_;. At least he died a happy man. I was all teary eyed on that death scene. The bit with the accordion dude was incredibly sad as well.

... and then Oscar gets shot down at the end. Guess the last episode is just gonna focus on her death. Shit is too tragic, man.

Lain

Phi Brain S2 9

First part of the episode made me roll my eyes hard. That plot point was stretched way too far and the conclusion, which in part should have been obvious and in part the idea itself
of a mother dying because her son didn't play puzzle time with another kid
is so obtuse that why the fuck would you get in a slump over it?!
But then that was finally over and I hope it stays that way. Serious moments about bullshit is what ruins an enjoyable show about silly stuff like this, for me.

Kagami

DiGiKerot

A Letter to Momo
276 screens, 2 day total: 61,908 tickets - 77,510,600yen

While that might look pretty good, it's actually really bad relative to the wide release it got. 276 screens nationwide, and it couldn't even beat the Haruhi movie on 24 screens (89,010,100yen).

Conversely, I'm going to go see it for the third time this weekend. Japan is letting the side down badly here.

Go_Ly_Dow

The Blood-C movie made 32,037,000yen in the first 2 days of release in cinemas on 24 screens. Not a flop at all. Saya protected the box office. For comparisons, the first 2 days of Strike Witches made 40,000,000yen on the same number of screens. But Blood-C performed better than the Gurren Lagann movies and the Eden of the East movies.

It also performed much better than total bombas like Redline... which.... well:

Welcome to the Space Show
21 screens, 2 day total: 9030 tickets - 13,766,700yen

Redline
56 screens, 2 day total: 8938 tickets - 12,700,800yen

Niji-Iro Hotaru
107 screens, 2 day total: 9652 tickets - 11,918,600yen

BOMBAS!

oh my!

my faith in the japanese government and people is restored!

Ultimadrago

Space Brothers 10

R00sw.jpg

It's the future, Mutta. Don't fight the CG beast!

I'd also like to see a dog that resembles Tom Cruise because then I could rightfully name them "Tom".

Also, as usual, a certain someone has "Serika fever." Alright episode.

Theonik

REDLINE
iPrgSczHcGjt2.png

CAPTAIN AMERICA!
This was a very gorgeous film with lots of action, very nice to see 2D vehicles and the shading was quite a treat imo. The film is basically split into 3 parts.
The first part of the film consists of a short race which is meant to introduce us to the concept of the futuristic races the movie is about, followed by a long period of exposition, exploring the backstories of the main character JP and McLarren as well as a brief introduction to the rest of the characters which will be participating in the final race on the third portion of the feature.
story wise it still left quite a few things unexplained but it really didn't feel like it detract from the overall film and the crazy action more than made up for it. Shame such a gorgeous film would bomb so hard :(

Finally about the ending
Did they die? Looked like it but whaaaaat?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sengoku Collection 5

JWH2V.jpg

For some reason Tsukahara Bokuden has turned into a loli succubus.

I never thought Sengoku Collection would be the anime to parody a Michael Moore documentary.

I'm still not sure if this was a good or bad episode. At least that's more than I can say about Sengoku 3!

Anyway, Bokuden is the subject of Morse's documentary on the subject of whether samurai are dangerous or not. By editing the footage, Morse portrays the samurai as bloodthirsty killers with no sense of morality or ethics. Of course, none of the samurai filmed are happy with that, and so they seek a revenge that won't result in them confirming his statement. So they can't just be like Date Masamume last episode and kill everyone.

With the aid of moe~, they are able to get the unedited footage and put it out for the world to see. Happy endings for everyone (and in the end, even Morse too!)

I want see more of the crazy girl who showed up at the end.

REDLINE

This was a very gorgeous film with lots of action, very nice to see 2D vehicles and the shading was quite a treat imo. The film is basically split into 3 parts.
The first part of the film consists of a short race which is meant to introduce us to the concept of the futuristic races the movie is about, followed by a long period of exposition, exploring the backstories of the main character JP and McLarren as well as a brief introduction to the rest of the characters which will be participating in the final race on the third portion of the feature.
story wise it still left quite a few things unexplained but it really didn't feel like it detract from the overall film and the crazy action more than made up for it. Shame such a gorgeous film would bomb so hard :(

Finally about the ending
Did they die? Looked like it but whaaaaat?

I thought the ending was the Magic Princess's... err.... magic.... saving them, because she was responsible for running the race, and the finish line was right where her ship was.

Theonik

I thought the ending was the Magic Princess's... err.... magic.... saving them, because she was responsible for running the race, and the finish line was right where her ship was.
Not sure, I assumed there mus have been some sort of magic in the finish line not to end up in space finishing like that but it wasn't explained really. That's why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom