• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos 9

Mahiro is without a doubt the worst character this season. Even in this type of episode, he still managed to ruin everything.

Ultimadrago

AKB0048 6

TrqUs.jpg

This culture...someone should write an article on it.

The science behind "idols" and "haters."

Also,
that first handshake was totally scripted

To top it all the terrorism off, more ugly CG mechs for the whole family!

AKB teaches us here that you should appreciate your "haters."

These are truly words of wisdom.

The Btooom! manga isn't very good, from what I've skimmed over.
Necrophilia. Classy. Of course the girl is a rape victim. -_-

Edit: Yeah, this is crap.

jman2050

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos 9

Mahiro is without a doubt the worst character this season. Even in this type of episode, he still managed to ruin everything.

I dunno, I get a perverse amusement in seeing how much more of an insufferable prick Mahiro could possibly be in this setup.

trejo

Have they bothered explaining why he's so against the idea of getting it on with a malign deity in the guise of a cute girl? Dude should just go for it.

jman2050

Have they bothered explaining why he's so against the idea of getting it on with a malign deity in the guise of a cute girl? Dude should just go for it.

He's probably gunning for the fabulous glasses guy who sits in front of him in class.

Jex

[Fate/Zero] - 22

This is a pretty great note to launch into the shows final act. They've done a good job of building up to the final showdown without dragging things out in a way that would annoy the audience. It's quite remarkable.

cajunator

Banned
[Fate/Zero] - 22

This is a pretty great note to launch into the shows final act. They've done a good job of building up to the final showdown without dragging things out in a way that would annoy the audience. It's quite remarkable.

Its a show that can almost do no wrong.

Jex

She's an extraordinarily terrible character and harms every scene that she's in. Does anyone actually like her for any reason other than being voiced by Omigawa?
Does there need to be more of a reason then that?

(I also wish she wasn't in the show).
Elena Peoples is an absolutely terrible cardboard cutout of a character and the show would be much better off without her in it.

The fact that she's voiced by Omigawa only compounds the suck even further.

Trejo.

You have crossed a line.

Consider this a warning.
Is it a requirement for all Satelight shows to have the most garish vomit-inducing color palette that they possibly can?

It's not a requirement, it's just the natural consequences of having shit people in charge of colour balance and pallete at your studio.
What is this stream? Why are people crying? Is this the new world order?

The world has been heading this way for awhile, you just haven't been paying attention.
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12
[...]Next Shaft anime I'm watching is either Bakemonogatari or Arakawa Under the Bridge. I'm still undecided on whether to watch a waifu anime or another talky comedy anime.

You didn't really need to start anything else when you had seen their best show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I honestly can't tell whether Jex is a closeted Omigawa fan or if he's just mocking her defenders. It's a little scary.

Jex

Casshern Sins has some of the worst dialogue writing that I've seen in anime. Very simplistic, repetitive, and eschewing characterization for hollow angst and philosophizing.

A couple of the episodic stories in the first half do work on their own terms, though. I liked the one about the tower.

But it looks beautiful, right?
There's a lot of "Casshern!" to come, unfortunately. The ending is pretty limp, too. The biggest things the show has going for it are atmosphere and visuals; don't expect a satisfying narrative.

It feels like something that could have worked (with a better script) as a six-part OVA or something. Why it went on for 24 episodes I shall never know.
Does this retroactively ruin the previous series? Just because the two are connected doesn't mean they need to be the same thing.

Well, if Spiderman 3 and the Star Wars prequels are anything to go by, then yes.

Jex

Bagi:

I could never recommend this movie. It is just terrible in every single way. Except for the fanservice moments that involved said furry action but that alone isn't enough to save the film even if you're into that kind of stuff. Which of course I'm not myself. Obviously.

I have filed this for future reference.
Araragi doesn't seem very committed to a monogamous relationship, honestly.

Araragi isn't a character, he's a device.
Bakemonogatari 1

This was interesting. Senjougahara is definitely a top tier waifu from her interactions with Araragi in this episode. She is already way better than boring glasses girl. Oh yeah, these random zoomed in shots of eyes and noses vary between pointless to why the fuck do I need to see that. The greatest surprise was that for an anime that was just about people standing and talking, I never felt bored throughout the episode. Definitely hope they can keep this up.

I love the song used in the ED. I have definitely heard it before and now I'm curious if it was used in some other anime before.
Clearly you don't understand the Shinbo's subtle visual language.

Makoto

Jormungand 8

Turns out Funimation had the official lyrics for the OP from the get-go.

"Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...
much the same"

what the shit?

Jex

After finishing Code Geass, I'm horrifyingly near the end of my backlog. Considering what the summer season looks like, it may be break time once Fate s2 finishes. :(
impossible. the backlog never ends.

This man speaks the truth. There's probably hundreds of things you have yet to watch and by the time you're done with then there'd be new seasons of shows to catch up on.

This may not be immediately apparent, of course, but once you've done some research into the history of anime you'll probably come across a number of shows and movies which you've never even heard of.
Fate/Zero 22

Is that you
Rei?
Nope. Not at all. Not even a little but. You must be imagining it.

cajunator

Banned
That was the first time I finished Laputa Castle in the Sky.
The first time I watched it I was pretty tired so I fell asleep halfway. Not this time. beautiful movie and incredible imagination behind it.
mother really loved it too.

Jex

I certainly respect that everyone has their own interests, but I can't help feeling that by restricting your gaze as much as you do you might be missing out on anime you'd enjoy. I don't know what you've seen, but have you tried more offbeat shows such as Gankutsuou, Mononoke, or Tatami Galaxy? Well-made shows that may be a bit outside your comfort zone but offer a powerful experience you can't get anywhere else, such as Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, or Wandering Son (from the director of Fate/Zero!)? Older shows such as Dirty Pair, Future Boy Conan, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Movies such as Genius Party, Memories, or Hosoda's One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island?
You were too helpful. You should have just pointed out that most anime isn't actually slice of life and/or moe. I don't really think you can force people out of their comfort zones that easily anyway, they have to decide to do that themselves.

I really want to watch Future Boy Conan, on that note, but I need to punish myself from waking up past mid-day after staying up too much. Always knew I was a night-bird!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So this is why I knuckled down and watched the final third of Sailor Moon S in a single day.

Fresh Precure! 01:

For reference, this was the series that aired before Heartcatch.

The first thing that really hit me about this was how low-budget it feels in comparison to subsequent series. QUALITY abounds, the backgrounds range from Tsuritama-esque blob shading (except much less artfully applied) to colored-in pencil sketches, lots of janky animation (even during fight scenes), and disappointingly-plain transformation sequences. A lot of the line art often has a grainy inconsistency like some scenes were animated at a sub-HD resolution and badly upscaled. It's not even on the visual level of Suite Precure, which is saying something considering how garish, stiff, and continually off-model that series was. (On the flipside, though, apparently several musical tracks in Fresh were reused in Suite. The cycle of cheapness continues!) Barring an increase in animation budget, Fresh is a series that's going to have to sell itself on how fun its characters are.

So this is Momozono Love, juyonsai, your average Precure progagonist. Genki and kind of a klutz, I suppose that what differentiates her is that she's a meddlesome romantic, trying to bring people closer together even when it's not her place. She has two obviously future Precure friends, and she herself transforms into Cure Peach after being chosen as something something legendary precure something by a magical plastic key (in stores now). There's a weasel mascot, and some kind of generic Chypre/Coffret/Candy/etc. puffball, and mysterious villains that live in a mansion in the forest and are collecting human suffering to revive someone or other. If this all sounds generic, that's because it is.

At least the monsters look better than Negatones or Akanbe. That's not saying much, of course.

Well, I'm committed to marathoning the whole thing, so here's hoping that it eventually finds its stride.

Jex

I really want to watch Future Boy Conan, on that note, but I need to punish myself from waking up past mid-day after staying up too much. Always knew I was a night-bird!
Well what's stopping you?

[Fujiko] – 8

I don't even know what's going on any more. I can't say that I really like or dislike this show and I think the only thing that I can safely say is that it's a disappointment.
i feel like i'm the only one who likes Hanekawa.

the megane + pigtail combo = my weakness

:(

but Shinobu was the best thing about Nisemonogatari

That surely speaks volumes for the show as a whole.
maybe I'm biased because I read the manga but gnah... MGX is pretty much fetish after fetish without real character developement.

None of that really counters what pizzaroll said though. He said it was a well made about teenage sexuality, a topic which hitherto had hardly been handled in a 'classy' manner.
Probably the only reason people watched this movie, really.

You don't need to post this kind of comment, you're already an internet celebrity.

Nothing's stopping me except that I have a lot of summer schoolwork, health-related business, and I write for a game music site too.

Also: Fujiko's easy to understand if you put some thought into it.

None of that really counters what pizzaroll said though. He said it was a well made about teenage sexuality, a topic which hitherto had hardly been handled in a 'classy' manner.

"classy" is a silly word without definition.
And I don't know if you can say MGX handles this topic in a classy manner if there is no progress. Urabe and Mikito are stuck in a status quo, either the mangaka ignores what happened in the earlier chapters or he pushs the resett button after a long arc.
After all MGX is tame and prude as many other teen romance stories.

Ultimadrago

Please don't be implying what I think you're implying. Do I have to begin sharpening my knives? :(

Fate/Zero 22 Spoilers

No need for violence, Saint Juste.

I only said that in the future
good characters will most likely perish

To accuse me of cleverly undermining
Irisviel's exsistence
in the same breath is...well, it's quite something!

Something you'd be right about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom