• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Yeah, it's a pretty close toss-up between Naoe Kanetsugu and Elena Peoples.
I didn't want this to end up at the top of a page, but whatever.

KRb9e.png

Narag

Composition, continuity, effectiveness of shots, good editing flow, what happens in them, etc. Essentially everything.

When talking about storyboarding in anime, you have to realize it's not a typical storyboard like the ones in [everything else] -- it's basically the skeleton of the episode/movie. The term used for storyboard in Japanese actually translates to "picture continuity" -- I assume that it's a loose translation adapted for whatever reason because they resemble what we know as storyboards. On storyboard books and such you'll see the phrase "continuity script." An anime storyboard contains the cuts and instructions for each cut. Dialogue, shot length, camera instructions, instructions for the animator, sound effects, etc. Storyboards in [everything else] are like, scene concepts and shit. For anime it's probably the most important thing of all, as everything that will be made is going to be birthed from what's penned on the storyboard.

Personally I use the term storyboarding as a catch-all (and I shouldn't really because it's technically wrong but I'm lazy) to include layout work as well, which is also super important.

That actually explains a lot and cleared up my confusion as I assumed it was the same for anime as it was other stuff. Thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If anything, a dude who freaks out at the idea of random people deciding to move into his house should be an interesting idea. The fact that he's tsundere instead of sexless or shy should also be an interesting idea as well.
I have to wonder if people would be more understanding of Mahiro if the genders were reversed.

Jarmel

Banned
If anything, a dude who freaks out at the idea of random people deciding to move into his house should be an interesting idea. The fact that he's tsundere instead of sexless or shy should also be an interesting idea as well.

The thing though with Mahiro is that do you really want to piss off a creature that all they have to do is change shapes in order to literally drive you insane? I would be trying to keep it pacified as much as possible. Hasuta is the one where I can see the strong denials he reserves for everyone else. Problem is he led Hasuta on too long and now Hasuta owns his soul.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to wonder if people would be more understanding of Mahiro if the genders were reversed.
Although I think UtaPri is the only reverse harem that I've seen, I have to imagine that reverse harems don't have the same sexual context in the first place.

The thing though with Mahiro is that do you really want to piss off a creature that all they have to do is change shapes in order to literally drive you insane? I would be trying to keep it pacified as much as possible. Hasuta is the one where I can see the strong denials he reserves for everyone else. Problem is he led Hasuta on too long and now Hasuta owns his soul.
I don't really think they're doing much with the whole Cthulu thing anyway. She's just like any of a number of super powerful magical girlfriends that force themselves on the lead.

Articalys

I don't really think they're doing much with the whole Cthulu thing anyway. She's just like any of a number of super powerful magical girlfriends that force themselves on the lead.
Admittedly, this is true. On the other hand, how many of those kinds of characters are voiced by Kana Asumi?

Tales of the Abyss 16
GipDi.png

Van's such a cool dude, he cuts up old people and isn't afraid of anything.
SCIENCE! To stop the world to turning into goo, They convert the Tartarus into some sort of vibration canceller for the core. Apparently the six god generals don't like that. A bunch of old people die. When they reach the core, they find out Sync was a stowaway on board and they fight. After a bunch of not hitting each other we find out under that mask he wears that Sync is
a replica of the original Ion, as is the Ion that has been traveling with them.
Sync decides life sucks and jumps into the core, while Ion cries for the first time. And just before they leave on the Albiore, the sentient aggregate of the seventh fonon tells Luke he has the same frequency as it and that he must set him free. Did you get all that? Neither did I the first time through the game... Oh and at the end Tear collapses and leaves us wondering what just happened.
SPA3Y.png

Tear's pregnant, and Lorelei's the father.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 1

Wow, this was so beautiful. I can't go back to watching the trashy shitty looking anime now. Half of the times I wasn't paying attention to their random chatter and only focusing on the animation and how beautiful it looked.

I found it surprising that Houtarou didn't bore me that much. From his description and all the pictures I see posted, he looked like a terrible character, but he definitely had some great moments in this episode. Eru got some killer eyes, she is probably mind controlling Houtarou and Satoshi. Though I don't really like her VA, it just doesn't fit her character.

And um, those "mysteries", I wouldn't say I'm disappointed since I already lowered down my expectation for them but they sure are solving them very quickly. There is gonna be a 2 episodes one later on I believe from the impressions I read, so that should be interesting.

This reminded me, I would totally be down for an anime adaptation of Perfect Crime Party. It's a manga that was created in Bakuman about group of kids that perform pranks and try to get away with it. I would love to see something in the vein of Hyouka about 2 group of students, one committing the pranks, while the other solving them.

Ouran High School Host Club 1

Being the first shoujo title I have watched, I was not sure what to expect. By the end of the episode, I thought this was quite enjoyable. The use of the
light-bulbs lighting up when the host boys figured out Haruhi was a girl was priceless

I plan to watch more of the series soon, but first I need to finish up reading the first six Haruhi Suyumiya light novels so I can get straight into the seventh novel, along with the Welcome to the NHK light novel, when they are shipped.

Jarmel

Banned

Being the first shoujo title I have watched, I was not sure what to expect. By the end of the episode, I thought this was quite enjoyable. The use of the
light-bulbs lighting up when the host boys figured out Haruhi was a girl was priceless

It's a series I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. I really need to get around reading the manga one day.

Kore wa zombie desu ka? Of the Dead 10 (end)
tumblr_m59z0gNjbd1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

I really enjoy this closing episode. Nice mix of plot, comedy, and suspense. Ayumu was pretty epic in it, and considering the plot, couldnt get enough Ayumu. I also liked the way the ending events played out.

6 / 10 overall, one of the few anime in the genre I found watchable. Just about the same as the first season, without much of a tight plot it couldnt be truly suspenseful and dramatic but it wasn't aimless enough to make me bored and not care. Ayumu carried the season well beyond cool transforming scenes, and Anderson and Orito were funny to have around...with honorable mention to Haruna, only memorable female character who consistently had me laughing or feeling some sort of emotion. Will buy if Funimation gets this season too, got the first one preorder.

The Tower of Druaga ~the Sword of Uruk~ 04
Tea time with Ms. Exposition.
This was king of exposition episode. We got not one, not two, but three different people telling explaining stuff to us. Pretty good for explaining things at least so things would actually make sense instead of going huh.

Hyouka 1
From his description and all the pictures I see posted, he looked like a terrible character, but he definitely had some great moments in this episode.
tumblr_m2z0enCRka1qddz93o2_250.png

This reminded me, I would totally be down for an anime adaptation of Perfect Crime Party. It's a manga that was created in Bakuman about group of kids that perform pranks and try to get away with it. I would love to see something in the vein of Hyouka about 2 group of students, one committing the pranks, while the other solving them.

Based on the last thing on PCP in the anime, I wouldnt mind having a PCP anime too. Cool concept and characters, oh well, I guess I can only hope the anime will give it an animated OP...

I plan to watch more of the series soon, but first I need to finish up reading the first six Haruhi Suyumiya light novels so I can get straight into the seventh novel, along with the Welcome to the NHK light novel, when they are shipped.

Ouran was the second anime I watched after my first anime, Naruto in late 09. Ouran is hilarious and memorable still to this day.

Andrew J.

Zeta Gundam

I've been going through this since sometime last year. Overall I thought it was pretty good; the action scenes hold up pretty well for early 80s anime, especially towards the end. It had its problems, though, like Katz being a dumbass, the annoying war orphans kept on the ship for some reason, and it being way too easy for pilots to sortie without permission (a chronic problem in all giant robot anime as Jexhius's Eureka Seven AO 08 post pointed out, but it seemed especially common here).

Maybe I just can't appreciate that stuff because my soul is weighted down by gravity...

The Tower of Druaga ~the Sword of Uruk~ 05
Suddenly a snowman.
A decent episode. New floor means new problems and this was a cool problem with having to stay in the shadows or get horribly eaten by shadow creatures. Yes, that works somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom