• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I really don't ever want to become that guy who just says 'read the manga, it's inherently superior' but in this case I will have to recommend that you consider reading the manga. It's considerably less hideous than the modern anime adaptation.

Also, you should really check out the original 1987 OVA 2001 Nights. I can guarantee that it contains no CG. I don't know why they called the more recent titles TO, but it's all adapted from the same manga.
I've read part of 2001 Nights the manga (one of the best Clarkian sci-fi graphic novels I've ever read—so worth my time), and I've heard about the anime adaptation. What'd you think of it, Jex? I heard that Kanada was involved in its production?

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 05

Another day, another member shows off their powers.
So much talking. It's not even about how boring life is or how weird Haruhi is, but instead enough science words that I would normally tune out. But still looked pretty good, the music during the action was pretty nice.

If you have read the original light novels, you would know most of the plot in the series is narrated by Kyon. Some things can only be communicated through written words instead of through a visual medium.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Whatever people want to argue is the true spirit of her character is, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.

Definitely.

Kazzy

Well, to be fair, these games are half dating sims after all.

I still find it hilarious that in P3P, feMC gets two older boys or a shota. I mean, they were basically screwed by the limited number of male characters in the game in the first place, but that seemed like fuji-bait if there ever was any.

The girls also pretty much fit into some trope or achetype as well, and in P4 they took out any consequences for having a harem beyond the odd cutscene where the girls glare at each other.

I suppose, I kind of disregarded that by virtue of it being my first exposure to that sort of thing. But then again, I played it unlike everyone else and only did date the one character.

The Ken stuff was creepy, and besides, he wasn't all that likeable anyway.
And you couldn't even pick the best option, Junpei!

Yu/Charlie/the MC has that effect on women, clearly.
(Men too. I'm sure Yosuke has a nice bikini as well).

Junes is the one-stop shop for that kind of stuff anyway...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I suppose, I kind of disregarded that by virtue of it being my first exposure to that sort of thing. But then again, I played it unlike everyone else and only did date the one character.

No, Mitsuru is the best option.
curse you, lack of same sex routes :(

Whatever people want to argue is the true spirit of her character is, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.

It feels like an unnatural progression to suddenly have Naoto appearing like this. The point was raised about her eventual taking-on of more 'female' qualities if you decided to romance her in the game, but even then she was still quite uncomfortable with embracing that sort of image.
It's hardcore pandering without a doubt, but I don't really see anything wrong with the "characterization." She's clearly not thrilled or comfortable with being in a bikini. It's hardly different than the sauna scene from the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Akihiko is pretty much the only choice for feMC really. I mean, the other dude is also a vulnerable bad boy who just needs some loving, but Akihiko is so much more swag. And having seeing the romance route for Ken, I remember it being hilarious.

Every day is great at your Junes.

No, Mitsuru is the best option.
curse you, lack of same sex routes :(
If 7th were here, he would say Aegis.

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 6

I just witnessed something incredible. Fishing has never been this intense.
Haru went a bit too crazy near the end, wonder what happened to him. Also from what I gathered, this thing they encountered makes people do the Enoshima dance? Doesn't sound too threatening.
Anyway I'm really excited to see where the plot goes next.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch PreCure 08

Not as good as last episode but fun nonetheless. Some interesting interaction between the best precure and her sister. The ending was quite cute as well.

Momoka has a lot of fun teasing Erika, and Erika always bites. Anyway, you're almost up to the first real nostandard episode, which should be a lot of fun!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Eureka Seven AO] - 9

This is a bad episode in a weird show.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Eureka Seven AO at this point. It has devolved into something needlessly convoluted and aimless. But everyone can keep blaming Elena if they want.

Jormungand - 10

mpc-hc2012-06-1221-20scfjx.jpg
mpc-hc2012-06-1221-13d1fbz.jpg

I enjoyed the lastest episodes very much. And for some reason it's the only show I'm watching at the moment - too many animes with school setting. I think I need a break.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jormungand - 10

I enjoyed the lastest episodes very much. And for some reason it's the only show I'm watching at the moment - too many animes with school setting. I think I need a break.
As much as I'd like to see anime ditch high school for a while (older characters, please), I don't think Jormungand is the answer.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jormungand - 10

Well, that certainly would be a big change from most high school anime. :p

Dresden

wtb Persona 4 sequel in the same vein as FFX-2.

Charlie has gone missing. It is up to Yukiko to don some hotpants to save him.

Rise would make more sense (while also being the much superior choice) but Yukiko always felt like the 'canon' pairing to me.

Theonik

Momoka has a lot of fun teasing Erika, and Erika always bites. Anyway, you're almost up to the first real nostandard episode, which should be a lot of fun!
I feel their relationship is very well done. They feel like real sisters and it's entertaining to watch for that.

Reknoc

Rise would make more sense (while also being the much superior choice) but Yukiko always felt like the 'canon' pairing to me.

Yukiko is pretty much perfect though as she's about as boring as Yuna was. Rise = Rikku, Naoto = Pain, Chie = Chie.

Jormungand - 10

I think schools are enjoyable but theres quite a few actually good anime not in school setting, Saint Seiya Omega, Eureka Seven AO, Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness, and Kingdom.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 06
Very good episode. Pretty much all the other episodes have been building up to this and it had a very good conclusion. Music was good, it looked really nice.
I guess this is where kissing actually solves your problem.

Grzi

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 06

Very good episode. Pretty much all the other episodes have been building up to this and it had a very good conclusion. Music was good, it looked really nice.
I guess this is where kissing actually solves your problem.

Why are you watching it in chronological order?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, Naoto somehow becomes a bikini model in order to save Yuuuuu.

cajunator

Banned
Yup, Kyoani is really good at giving their characters a sense of mass and volume that quite often is lacking in other series. Of course, K-on had a more "blobby" look, so you didn't have the more sharply defined faces that Hyouka did, but it still did a good job at making the characters very solid.

Kannagi started this style off. I think the "chubbiness" is why these two shows look stylistically similar, and then when A-1 continued it with Sora no Woto people called it K-On at war.

Fate/Zero S2 - 4

WHY DID I STOP WATCHING THIS SHOW???

That's a damned good question. Fate Zero is AMAZING.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Eureka Seven AO at this point. It has devolved into something needlessly convoluted and aimless. But everyone can keep blaming Elena if they want.

IF one character can be the sole reason for the downfall of a show, then the show really couldnt have been that good. Lots of great shows have a bad characters in them and it doesnt cause the narrative to fall to pieces. Besides, Elena is NOT a bad character!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
IF one character can be the sole reason for the downfall of a show, then the show really couldnt have been that good. Lots of great shows have a bad characters in them and it doesnt cause the narrative to fall to pieces. Besides, Elena is NOT a bad character!

I don't remember anyone ever solely blaming Elena for E7AO's problems. Plenty have argued that she's a shit character, but most if not all of those people also have problems with the narrative, pacing, and editing.

That's because she isn't a character. /hasn't watched the show

Grzi

28009l.jpg

Ano Hana

Finished this, thought I should write a post about it, but I don't care enough to waste anymore time on it, so I'll make it short.

A below average show with above average production values, so I guess it's average then?
Why is this show popular? I really don't get it. Usually I can see the appeal of popular shows even if I don't like them myself, but here, there's nothing.
The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact. The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them. The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all. They each have one thing that characterizes them and that's it, it just repeats itself for the entire run. Like something out of a shounen show, except this is not a shounen (unfortunately). Maybe if it was a movie it would flow better and have less boring moments, but as a show, it really suffers from having to fill out 11 episodes. The last couple of minutes in episode 16 of Toradora for example, had more emotion in them than the entirety of this show, and those scenes could also be described as melodramatic, but it was done in a good way.
The show really looks good, the animation is consistent and the art on model like 95% of the time.
That's the reason I scored it 5/10 on MAL (without the production values it would be a 3 or a 4), but now, thinking about the show, maybe it should have been lower. Maybe I'll think about it some more.

cajunator

Banned
28009l.jpg

Ano Hana

Finished this, thought I should write a post about it, but I don't care enough to waste anymore time on it, so I'll make it short.

A below average show with above average production values, so I guess it's average then?
Why is this show popular? I really don't get it. Usually I can see the appeal of popular shows even if I don't like them myself, but here, there's nothing.
The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact. The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them. The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all. They each have one thing that characterizes them and that's it, it just repeats itself for the entire run. Like something out of a shounen show, except this is not a shounen (unfortunately). Maybe if it was a movie it would flow better and have less boring moments, but as a show, it really suffers from having to fill out 11 episodes. The last couple of minutes in episode 16 of Toradora for example, had more emotion in them than the entirety of this show, and those scenes could also be described as melodramatic, but it was done in a good way.
The show really looks good, the animation is consistent and the art on model like 95% of the time.
That's the reason I scored it 5/10 on MAL (without the production values it would be a 3 or a 4), but now, thinking about the show, maybe it should have been lower. Maybe I'll think about it some more.

That pretty much seems to fall in place with the animeGAF collective opinion.
Personally, I rate it higher and will buy the show, but I'm a lot more forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom