• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

After bad mouthing the movie series based on clips of the various movies and watching KnK1 years ago, I decided to give the entire thing another shot some time back. It took a while, but I'm finally fucking done with all 7 movies. Here are my honesty thoughts on each one.

Kara no Kyoukai 1 - Overlooking View

The direction here is interesting, because while the material is certainly somewhat compelling, there is a deliberate attempt to portray it in a rather distant way, something that mirrors the lead character's cold and callous nature well. Unfortunately, since the characters are never actually introduced, some scenes can feel a little confusing or random.

The heavy digital usage is also less than perfect here, with a lot of awkward scenes of CG doors and passageways which look rather ugly and amateur. There's a pretty good scene in the middle involving Shiki struggling with her own hand, great direction and animation. I can't say the same for the action sequence at the end though, which I didn't like and felt rather artificial. Overall, it felt interesting enough to continue on through the series.

Kara no Kyoukai 2 - Murder Speculation Pt1

This is a completely different tone from the first film, focusing instead on the past when Kokuto and Shiki were still in high school. This also means that the entire film is about a totally contrived and painful tsundere relationship. It's honestly rather stupid, and not very enjoyable. I don't particularly have much patience for dumb characters doing dumb things, and most of the dialogue here qualify as dumbness.

I did like the extended date scene though, where there was almost no dialogue and just music playing over the two characters doing stuff. Plus there was a scene where they animated what happens when you drip water from a straw onto the straw cover - that puts it on equal footing with Eureka Seven and Sailor Moon! Other than that, it was mostly not very good.

Kara no Kyoukai 3 - Remaining Sense of Pain

We're back to the same setting the first movie had, with another supernatural mystery for Shiki to tackle. This entry turned out to be really entertainment surprisingly. The animation was pretty great, the direction was dynamic and well paced, and there was some really solid camera work. The premise is also much more exciting because the villain is presented as an actual character who is developed in the story.

The one thing I disliked was how casual Kokuto's reaction was to rapists, and his illogical attitude in general towards the entire situation. I find his personality pretty annoying to be honest, but he isn't the focus here so it wasn't a huge problem. There were some really nice effects animations in the climatic battle, and the decision to use 2D backgrounds for detailed close ups for some of the scenes was a great decision. I enjoyed this film quite a bit.

Kara no Kyoukai 4 - Hollow Shrine

If this were a TV series, this would probably qualify as a bad filler arc. Nothing happens in this one other than Shiki lying in a hospital bed. There are some experimental uses of digital effects and filters to try to make monologues more interesting visually, but the writing is just so awful that I spaced out most of the time.

Pretty boring story here, and the best parts of the movie were the random scenes around the hospital showing the other patients from time to time, because Ufotable does really nice crowd scenes. It made the setting feel believable, and honestly most of the other patients looked far more appealing and interesting than Shiki lying in bed. Zzzzzzz.

Kara no Kyoukai 5 - Paradox Spiral

Now this was a total surprise. I'm still shocked at how amazing I felt this experience to be. It has some of the most impressive direction in a full length animated film I've seen in a long time. Lots of unorthodox techniques are applied here: non-linear narrative, repetition to create themes and moods, color and lighting to disorientate, scenes purely directed by music and sound, etc. This is the longest entry in the series yet running at about 2 hours long, but it felt like the shortest one because I was so engaged to it.

There's a lot to like about how the movie was put together and structured, and the individual scenes are also well animated and generally feel unique and interesting. The camera work is never boring, and there's a lot of effort put into how scenes flow and little details in the frame or in the script which provide clues as to where something falls within the timeline so the viewer won't be lost as long as you're paying attention to what's going on.

The villains here are also fantastic, with true maniacal characters who are simply fun to watch. They're not exactly troubled individuals you're meant to feel sorry for, but schemers who have set up a plan to achieve their objectives, and it's extremely interesting to watch how things play out all the way to the end.

The movie felt like a puzzle box to me, where half the fun was putting things together while watching it, and at the end it just all fits together in a really satisfying way before the movie goes into pure audio-visual overdrive with the climax. One of the most surprising anime experiences I've had, especially since I didn't think I would find something like that in this series.

Kara no Kyoukai 6 - Oblivion Recorder

Watching this movie after seeing Fate/Zero is kinda hilarious, because this is basically a prototype of Fate/Zero Episode 10. Azaka is Type-Moon's Rin prototype, and this entire film is a prototype of the same concept Ufotable had with F/Z 10 - an entire self-contained story about Rin doing cute things while exploring a supernatural mystery. Unfortunately, F/Z 10 is also better than this movie in pretty much every possible way.

Azaka is definitely depicted in a very cute fashion here, and to their credit a lot of the setting is pretty appealing in a cute way. She has a lot of moe expressions, there's a cute dog in her room, the mystery they're investigating involves fairies, etc. The problem is that the scenario is also overloaded with terrible stuff like how Azaka has a huge brother complex, and there's some fairly contributed nonsense about the entire case being investigated in the first place. The villain also sucked.

I honestly didn't mind watching this, because it was fun and cute, and that's much better than watching Kokuto and Shiki talk about how much they like each other without actually saying that, but it still wasn't really great.

Kara no Kyoukai 7 - Murder Speculation Pt2

Wow... what a mess. I guess it was inevitable that the series would have to conclude dealing with Kokuto and Shiki's relationship since they're the main characters and the core on-going plot couple in the series, but even then I didn't expect it to be such an overindulgent nonsense-vomiting climax. Everything I disliked about the series in general is concentrated and expanded here. What makes it worse is that this is just as long as the 5th movie, but about ten times less interesting, and ten times more annoying.

The direction is also all over the place. At some points there are really well composed shots, and interesting camera work. Other times it feels either lazy or over artistic. The overall feel of the film was extremely inconsistent. There were some good action scenes though, but also some bad ones which felt off. The villain is also horrible. Not much more to say other than, I really disliked this one, and the only reason I would put it above the 4th movie is because there's actually some semblance of a story here.

Overall Thoughts

I liked that the series did some experimental things with regards to extensive digital usage in animation. There's clearly a lot of passion from the staff, but the source material is unfortunately often plain bad here. Another thing I enjoyed watching was how each film was done by a different director, and hence you can see a clear difference in approach to similar types of material in each movie. It also showcases how some directors were better at tackling some themes compared to others. The final movie was apparently directed by four of previous directors, so that might explain why it was just a mess in terms of tone.

I don't regret going through all of it, but that's mostly due to my interest in Ufotable these days. As far as actually recommending this... I would only go so far as to recommend the 3rd and 5th movies. The rest are a mixed bag, but if you're looking for something cute and moe, the 6th movie is not a bad watch. It's only about 50 minutes long too. The most valuable lesson I learned here is that Nasu is definitely a bad writer. No question at all about that. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 9

ZXrf3.jpg

For an episode focussed on the inferior part of the pair, it was pretty good!

Poor Kanade is feeling weak and inferior, because she thinks Hibiki does far more than she does to take down the negatones. However, instead of realizing that of course it's due
to the will to protect, she thinks that's it's only because Hibiki has one of the magical spinny rods (they're called Berthieres in Suite), and decides to copy everything Hibiki does so that she can get one of her own.

OKywK.jpg

Finally, the first male Precure?!

Of course, after realizing that she really does want to protect Hibiki, it's shonen shoujo power up time!

I was hoping that the negatone this week would be cooler since it was an evilified sakura leaf, but alas, it was just like all the other negatones. One thing that the precure series needs is better monsters. The lead villains are usually pretty good, but the monsters lack a little.
AUmSX.jpg

Also, the snobby kid appeared again.

Makoto

Guilty Crown 1-6

So is this show just going to continue it's anti-foreigner overtones? On the one hand, you've got blonde hair Daryl being the generic sadistic villain who is more than likely a foreigner, but then you have blondie McBlonde Blonde Gai who is apparently... not a foreigner. That doesn't really matter I suppose. The show is ripe with cheese and a soundtrack that is desperately trying to sweep viewers up into the emotion of it all. It's trying too hard to get viewers to feel the tragedy of it all.

I've yet to see anything grossly offensive to logic yet. Episode 6 and its conclusion was a little bit close. But then again, I am watching Index alongside this (you need a fine steak to go with the fine wine). The significance behind using people's fears as weapons against those that seek to oppress is understood easily enough.
There's a so-so attempt at trying to make the Undertakers a flawed organization with flawed leadership but it comes off as cliche tragic heroism nonsense.
Take for instance Gai's monologue in episode 6 (and its obvious confessional imagery). Gai's
admittance over his insecurity of being a leader
is more corny than heartfelt.

Zapato isn't an awful main character but he's certainly up there.
As opposed to joining the Undertakers right off the bat, Zapato is still very much weary of being part of the them. So much, that he suggests running away with Inori and gets shot down by her in the process. That was interesting to watch, especially the part where he laments that girls always go for the handsome douchebags.
I'm sure the otaku ate that shit up.

Edit: Despite all the negative stuff I've heard of Guilty Crown, I have no intention of dropping it. Unlike Index, all of Guilty Crown's episodes have been able to hold my attention so far.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's truly a sight to behold to see it in motion.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i435/Steroyd666/Gifs/Hidden-Melons.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Σ(゚д゚lll) I said goddaaaaamn that's some magic binding!

Guilty Crown 1-6

So is this show just going to continue it's anti-foreigner overtones? On the one hand, you've got blonde hair Daryl being the generic sadistic villain who is more than likely a foreigner, but then you have blondie McBlonde Blonde Gai who is apparently... not a foreigner. That doesn't really matter I suppose. The show is ripe with cheese and a soundtrack that is desperately trying to sweep viewers up into the emotion of it all. It's trying too hard to get viewers to feel the tragedy of it all.

I've yet to see anything grossly offensive to logic yet. Episode 6 and its conclusion was a little bit close. But then again, I am watching Index alongside this (you need a fine steak to go with the fine wine). The significance behind using people's fears as weapons against those that seek to oppress is understood easily enough.
There's a so-so attempt at trying to make the Undertakers a flawed organization with flawed leadership but it comes off as cliche tragic heroism nonsense.
Take for instance Gai's monologue in episode 6 (and its obvious confessional imagery). Gai's
admittance over his insecurity of being a leader
is more corny than heartfelt.

Zapato isn't an awful main character but he's certainly up there.
As opposed to joining the Undertakers right off the bat, Zapato is still very much weary of being part of the them. So much, that he suggests running away with Inori and gets shot down by her in the process. That was interesting to watch, especially the part where he laments that girls always go for the handsome douchebags.
I'm sure the otaku ate that shit up.

Edit: Despite all the negative stuff I've heard of Guilty Crown, I have no intention of dropping it. Unlike Index, all of Guilty Crown's episodes have been able to hold my attention so far.

You are in for a good time. Episode 6 is still one of the highlight moments with the
epic void fusion
Still really impressive visually, when I last rewatched the anime. Interesting thoughts you have.

I thought the music worked well for what it set out to accomplish it really conveyed many of the emotions well and even the song, led to a better identity for Inori. It also worked to complete Shu and Gai too. I liked how Shu's and Gai's relationship evolved during those first few episodes. And Daryl is quite underrated, Kenji Kido, Yahiro too.

Jex

Overall Thoughts
The most valuable lesson I learned here is that Nasu is definitely a bad writer. No question at all about that. :(

Not to carelessly ignore a rather interesting set of reviews for the sake of a quip but I am pretty sure most of us already knew that!

Jex

The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi

Overlong, bloated, poorly paced, and mostly infuriating. There are some interesting concepts they play around with in the story, but the scenario is so stretched out that it becomes very hard to stay interested for long. It should really have been a 90min movie with most of the drawn out monologues and fat trimmed.

KyoAni decided that the best way to make up for the Endless Eight was to provide the same amount of season two television content that they had squandered all in one movie. It wasn't the wisest idea.

Jex

Getter Robo Armageddon 02:

I'm really quite in awe of just how amazing the art and animation are in this. I'm not going to write off the plot just yet, but this is absolutely something that should be witnessed first and foremost for its beauty. Ryoma's manliness is off the charts. What more can I say?

The direction and composition in the Imagawa episodes of Armageddon (1 - 3) is noticeably different, and I'd argue, superior, to the rest of the show.

Jex

Yeah, this is definitely true. There's something extremely appealing about the Hyouka character designs. There's an extra dimension to their bodies and faces, in a chubby and lovable sort of way. You just want to pinch their cheeks because they're sooooo cute.
Stop trying to define moe.

Saint Seiya Omega 11

I ended up watching this episode twice. Overall both times I still felt disappointed in Yuna, pretty useless Saint at the end of the day
what a terrible waste of the power of friendship and the bonds of companionship for her to just give the final blow. I can't believe how terrible she is in comparison to Kouga who thankfully arrived. Even Souma managed to stand tall and actually do something even if already exhausted from a previous fight, while Yuna was fully recovered and should have been at full power after sleeping peacefully the night before after breaking bread. Her attack wasn't even that good!

Probably the least good episode thus far.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Saint Seiya Omega 11

I ended up watching this episode twice. Overall both times I still felt disappointed in Yuna, pretty useless Saint at the end of the day
what a terrible waste of the power of friendship and the bonds of companionship for her to just give the final blow. I can't believe how terrible she is in comparison to Kouga who thankfully arrived. Even Souma managed to stand tall and actually do something even if already exhausted from a previous fight, while Yuna was fully recovered and should have been at full power after sleeping peacefully the night before after breaking bread. Her attack wasn't even that good!

This is like the entire essence of DTL condensed into a single post.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Suite Precure 9

Poor Kanade is feeling weak and inferior, because she thinks Hibiki does far more than she does to take down the negatones.

You know, it really is amazing how Kanade manages to basically vanish into the background for the entire series in spite of being half of the main duo. This probably makes her the most grounded and believable protagonist in any of the Precure series that I've seen, but she's ill-suited for the strong personalities that tend to dominate Precure.

At least Cure Rhythm has the nicest transformed state in the series. Classy white costume, and I've always been partial to character designs with yellow hair + green eyes.

This is like the entire essence of DTL condensed into a single post.

Somebody says this at least once a week!

Jex

Legal Bullshittery

Hmmm... from here what I've written looks like a blobby mess. Do you want me to simplify further?

That all sounds very interesting. The amount of troubles US anime distributors run into simply by the nature of the business they are in (e.g. no one buys anime) already seem fairly substantial without having to worry about legal problems. I suppose it's not entirely surprising that a few of the remaining companies might well owe money to each other.

survivor

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 11

Saint Seiya as a whole has been disappointing. All the fights are terrible and it fails as a shounen anime. First spring anime I drop.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You know, it really is amazing how Kanade manages to basically vanish into the background for the entire series in spite of being half of the main duo. This probably makes her the most grounded and believable protagonist in any of the Precure series that I've seen, but she's ill-suited for the strong personalities that tend to dominate Precure.

At least Cure Rhythm has the nicest transformed state in the series. Classy white costume, and I've always been partial to character designs with yellow hair + green eyes.

Somebody says this at least once a week!

Yeah, I like her design a lot, but it really is true that Hibiki does more. Which is too bad, if Kanade did more I would like her better. :( As it is she's just a foil for Hibiki.

I guess DTL has a talent!

Zetman 11

The crazy animation from episode 1 is back.

Even if they did completely butcher this arc, I still like what they actually did adapt. I mean yeah, they kind of had to cut out the
orgy
, but the plight of Jirou and his son translated well to animated form even if it was rushed.

My major complaint is the censorship with the
lasers. In the manga, the girls get chopped to pieces and it's awesome. Here, they just kind of... die.
Ah well, should have known that was coming when the very first episode had that long-ass censor lens flare.

Now let's see how they deal with an anime original ending. It could definitely be interesting.

Kazzy

KyoAni decided that the best way to make up for the Endless Eight was to provide the same amount of season two television content that they had squandered all in one movie. It wasn't the wisest idea.

So very cynical.

I expect nothing less AnimeGAF.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

rufgfl.jpg

Yeah, I like her design a lot, but it really is true that Hibiki does more. Which is too bad, if Kanade did more I would like her better. :( As it is she's just a foil for Hibiki.

Yup. It's Hibiki's world, Kanade is just living in it.

And really, Suite manages to fuck up the characterization of every cure that isn't Hibiki, and Hibiki only avoids this because she's basically a female shounen protagonist from the very beginning and doesn't really grow much over the course of the series.

Naruto SD 11
WydPH.gif

Only Kakashi can prevent forest fires.
Hit and miss. The first part was pretty dull and way too boring. I liked the second part if only because it wasn't just Lee and Naruto. The plans at the end were pretty fun and it had what the first part was missing, actual jokes.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO] - 9

This is a bad episode in a weird show.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it extremely difficult to care about any of the events that happen in this series when it's all so poorly set up and explained. As a member of the audience, I don't really understand: what I am supposed to care about, who should I route for, what are the motivations of the antagonists and the protagonists, what the main thrust of the show is, why anything is happening and who the show is for. It's just a needlessly convoluted mess of overlapping plot lines that I don't care about.

This episode is a pretty good example of the series problems. It features all these groups of the characters:

- The adult members of Generation Bleu
- The crew of the Pied Piper
- Those three guys who now work at Generation Bleu for some reason
- Certain Japanese officials
- Members of the Japanese SDF
- The Truth
- References to 'Firecracker'

and they all have their own unique scenes and plot-lines that intersect with each other and main plot of the episode in a variety of bewildering and pointless manners. By virtue of having so much stuffed into a single episode nothing feels fleshed out or explained in a satisfying manner and there's no breathing time.

There's not necessarily anything wrong with having lots of groups of characters in your show but when it's done this poorly it's hard to see why I'd bother paying attention what's going on because I don't feel invested in anything. It really feels like Un-Go.

I don't know who the intended audience is either. I mean, there's plenty of fanservice shots in this episode and a robot fight, so you might assume it's going for the usual mecha audience. However, it's also filled to the brim with politics, exposition and in-universe terminology which isn't particularly accessible.

Is this late? I just heard about it on a podcast: Naoto sequel novel to Persona 4

Naoto has basically given up on the boy detective thing, from the looks of it. :p

Surely this is a Golden tie-in since it came out on the same day, but given that it's set after the series, I wonder what it could possibly be about.

Edit: the other girl is Rise, apparently.
Was the bikini drawing necessary? -_- Damn it, Atlus. I like seeing Naoto in a suit, but giving her such long hair was a mistake.

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 5

dat character development

Akira just forced himself into the group and it looks like there will be a bigger focus on him soon. Also I gotta commend the show for taking something that I'm not too excited about, fishing, and making it enjoyable. If only that karuta anime can do the same thing.

Branduil

I don't even find the majority of animation in the movie god-tier. To be honest, a lot of the stuff in Hyouka are as good or better than the best of the Haruhi movie.

Well, Hyouka probably has better animation than a lot of anime movies so that's not too surprising.

Jex

TO 1 (Elliptical Orbit)

Hmm, that was actually a somewhat interesting story concept (think the terrorists in Planetes) but the execution (most notably the animation during the space battle) was anything but. Watching this with the poorly lip-synced english dub certainly helped "add" to the experience.
i fucking lost it at the revelation that the hot chick was his mum. lmao

You know what, I really don't ever want to become that guy who just says 'read the manga, it's inherently superior' but in this case I will have to recommend that you consider reading the manga. It's considerably less hideous than the modern anime adaptation.

Also, you should really check out the original 1987 OVA 2001 Nights. I can guarantee that it contains no CG. I don't know why they called the more recent titles TO, but it's all adapted from the same manga.

Steroyd

Zetman 11

The crazy animation from episode 1 is back.

Even if they did completely butcher this arc, I still like what they actually did adapt. I mean yeah, they kind of had to cut out the
orgy
, but the plight of Jirou and his son translated well to animated form even if it was rushed.

My major complaint is the censorship with the
lasers. In the manga, the girls get chopped to pieces and it's awesome. Here, they just kind of... die.
Ah well, should have known that was coming when the very first episode had that long-ass censor lens flare.

Now let's see how they deal with an anime original ending. It could definitely be interesting.

That scene in the hallway was bad
there weren't even any decapitated corpses, most dissapointing laser hallway ever.

Out of curiosity how many chapters did it skip/adapt overall?

Kazzy

Was the bikini drawing necessary? -_- Damn it, Atlus. I like seeing Naoto in a suit, but giving her such long hair was a mistake.

Whatever people want to argue is the true spirit of her character is, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.

It feels like an unnatural progression to suddenly have Naoto appearing like this. The point was raised about her eventual taking-on of more 'female' qualities if you decided to romance her in the game, but even then she was still quite uncomfortable with embracing that sort of image.

Dresden

You know what, I really don't ever want to become that guy who just says 'read the manga, it's inherently superior' but in this case I will have to recommend that you consider reading the manga. It's considerably less hideous than the modern anime adaptation.

Also, you should really check out the original 1987 OVA 2001 Nights. I can guarantee that it contains no CG. I don't know why they called the more recent titles TO, but it's all adapted from the same manga.

I think you're missing the point of wonzo's noble quest.

Whatever people want to argue is the true intent of her character, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.
Sounds like P4 alright.

Whatever people want to argue is the true intent of her character, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.
Oh it definitely is.
Sounds like P4 alright.
Seeing as how I'm far more critical these days, maybe I shouldn't replay it and just keep my memories intact. >_>

jman2050

Whatever people want to argue is the true spirit of her character is, that bikini picture is definitely not it. Maybe, maybe the new design would be okay if it was set in the distant future after P4, but it's not, and it just feels like pandering to me.

When was modern Persona ever not pandering?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

It feels like an unnatural progression to suddenly have Naoto appearing like this. The point was raised about her eventual embracing of more 'female' qualities if you decided to romance her in the game, but even then she was still quite uncomfortable with embracing that sort of image.
Yeah, it's supposedly a year after the game. Perhaps she changed pretty drastically in that year. :p

Kazzy

When was modern Persona ever not pandering?

I think Persona is pretty good about not getting caught up in that sort of thing, of course you can probably pick out examples of it, but the same is true for almost anything. Or Is that just me?

As I wrIte this, I am suddenly reminded of the massage scene with Fuuka in P3...

Only a year? Oh dear.

Yep, much less character development, than it is a complete transplant.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 05
Another day, another member shows off their powers.
So much talking. It's not even about how boring life is or how weird Haruhi is, but instead enough science words that I would normally tune out. But still looked pretty good, the music during the action was pretty nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Persona is pretty good about not getting caught up in that sort of thing, of course you can probably pick out examples of it, but the same is true for almost anything. Or Is that just me?
Well, to be fair, these games are half dating sims after all.

I still find it hilarious that in P3P, feMC gets two older boys or a shota. I mean, they were basically screwed by the limited number of male characters in the game in the first place, but that seemed like fuji-bait if there ever was any.

The girls also pretty much fit into some trope or achetype as well, and in P4 they took out any consequences for having a harem beyond the odd cutscene where the girls glare at each other.

Only a year? Oh dear.
Yu/Charlie/the MC has that effect on women, clearly.
(Men too. I'm sure Yosuke has a nice bikini as well).

That scene in the hallway was bad
there weren't even any decapitated corpses, most dissapointing laser hallway ever.

Out of curiosity how many chapters did it skip/adapt overall?

Can't check now since I'm at work, but IIRC the mansion arc lasts like 30 chapters, so a lot. And of course braces moe wasnt even introduced at this point, so that's even more stuff messed with. Though to be fair, Zetman chapters are generally very short, easily being able to fit almost 10 chapters into a single episode.

I can't remember if this press conference stuff happened in the manga, so that's potentially more stuff skipped due to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom