• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, one thing I enjoy is that our dispatching group get along really well (except one particular asshole that I have never liked since I started the job, but nobody likes him and hes actually a habitual liar as well) so we all go eat breakfast somewhere on occasion and thingsl ike that. But mostly I just go home after work because Im too tired to do anything.
Having three other people to talk to definitely relieves the stress of the night though.
It used to be just two of us working in there, dealing with the entire company at night. Fuck those days. It is much better now. But more importantly, I can go back to watching my beloved animu more consistently and post here more often.

Anime is such a bad addiction. With games I can be like, "Ok, well, the next batch of releases I'm interested in isn't until September so I can just chill till then."

But with anime it's the never-ending backlog. Every time I finish watching one anime I find three more that I want to watch. I'm going to be starting Getter Robo Armageddon, Nichijou, and Seitokai Yakuindomo soon and right now I'm watching Avatar The Last Airbender and my normal weekly anime (Fate/Zero, Zetman, etc.)

It never ends...

*pictures a giant duckroll laughing maniacally in the background*

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'd say Cobraja with Sassorina closely behind him. Haven't seen much of Kumojacky still, though he's gaining some ground after...
HeartCatch Precure 11

Back to the regular pace with this one but with a couple of twists, it seems like there will be a lot more magic in the fights from now on and overall I'd say the fights themselves are becoming more interesting. Also it seems they are experimenting with adding more subordinates into the fray making the generals feel like well generals. After this Kumojacky also improved in my eyes. His fighting spirit is strong!
Kung-Fu training was somewhat adorable.

Oh yeah, the mobs of Sunackies show up a fair amount, they're good cannon fodder I guess. :p

The fight quality can vary dramatically from episode to episode, with some having great animation and choreography and others just going for the stock footage finish right away. Episodes that advance the story or characters will pretty much all have great animation, though.

Yeah, Kumojacky is all about strength and fighting spirit and hotbloodedness, you can tell just by looking at his character design. :p

Due to the nature of the show, based on solving problems in people's hearts, it often gets quite heartwarming, it's certainly better than the normal monster of the week episodes in Suite Precure. :)

Kazzy

Anime is such a bad addiction. With games I can be like, "Ok, well, the next batch of releases I'm interested in isn't until September so I can just chill till then."

But with anime it's the never-ending backlog. Every time I finish watching one anime I find three more that I want to watch. I'm going to be starting Getter Robo Armageddon, Nichijou, and Seitokai Yakuindomo soon and right now I'm watching Avatar The Last Airbender and my normal weekly anime (Fate/Zero, Zetman, etc.)

It never ends...

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The phenomenon known as backlog is baffling to me, it's not a burden!

cajunator

Banned

It never ends...

*pictures a giant duckroll laughing maniacally in the background*

its even worse when you have the collectors bug and buy DVD/BR like crazy.
If I counted up all the hours of anime sitting on my shelf Im sure it would actually stretch for literally months.

Novid

Banned
its even worse when you have the collectors bug and buy DVD/BR like crazy.
If I counted up all the hours of anime sitting on my shelf Im sure it would actually stretch for literally months.

I have two friends i know that have a 15 MONTH backlog. Some of it is some us movies, but its impressive. That being said, part of the reason the blu-ray thing is slowing up is the the lack of blu-rays and the way they are being made. If they only fixed that (and stop relying on master tapes - at least have some sort of master disk or master server) - they start selling in a good enough rate and EVERYTHING would look better as a result.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Also, I don't feel like I am the only person complaining about this!

You're not! E7AO feels utterly directionless because it can't possibly support the number of important characters and subplots it's balancing right now. I think that the odds favor a trainwreck at this point.

1stStrike

Banned
Not years? Time to power up with some shounen.

I admit that I'm generally attracted to shounen anime, but always lose interest. I made it like 170 episodes into One Piece before I gave up. I've quit watching Naruto like 5 times now, and yet I always come back.

cajunator

Banned
You're not! E7AO feels utterly directionless because it can't possibly support the number of important characters and subplots it's balancing right now. I think that the odds favor a trainwreck at this point.

Considering the show is decently well made, I'd say this means great potential.
Trainwrecks are good.

I don't think it has many issues, most of the characters and subplots and their subplots arent important. I don't think many care for the three dudes apart from providing some comedy and letting us see more Truth, while the other members of Pied Piper are just there doing whatever to please fans of that character.

Dresden

Directionless? E7AO isn't lacking direction, it's the direction itself--where it's heading--that feels lacking.

The events aren't as crammed together as something like Apollon, either; there's enough care to build things up before letting them happen. Even the Truth sections hold true to this. I'm worried about where they're going, but for now, it's been a competent show.

Novid

Banned
What the hell, Bioware.

I mean, seriously.

Dude.

Today they got me started. Bioware shouldnt be fucking talking. Just because they got that cushy EA money and thinking they hot shit with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age. HOLD the phone boys... what that smell? BULLSHIT. First off NO ENDING for MASS Effect. I MEAN fucking Capcom gave me a DAMN good ending with Dragons Dogma. WHERE was that shit son? I mean if these folks were so "Talented" and EA hired all these major VA's to give out NO ENDING? FUCK THAT Nonsense.

Let me get to the main point though... Funi getting there folks on this Dragon Age SHIT, and I do mean SHIT shows how desprate these fuckers have gotten. This is OMG SRLY shit son. Not only The sequal is bad...this...i cant even call this anime - i cant even call it animation... its just dude bro shit comissioned by d-squad teams. Its like they said, "OMG i rememember dragonball z and some shit rite and toonami right so likes have some like this pixar thing and what not and it would be the greatest shit ever..."

ugh. no. This is why we cant have nice things folks. There is a reason why CGI is used very sparaginly in anime folks. It just LOOKS horrible. Not the fault of the animators. IT just does. Out of place. So when you have fuckers who cant come up with an ending (watch them steal from Dragons Dogma i bet you) say they know anime? dont make me laugh. Toonami had to come back to REMIND these hipsters what the GENRE MEANS FOLKS. Forget the Moe - thats a trend that is being transformed into something much more than NTR bullshit. When somebody who does nothing but look at fake ass vectors all day says they know anime? Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Considering the show is decently well made, I'd say this means great potential.
Trainwrecks are good.

Good trainwrecks are good from early in the series and really, a show that begins as legit good and then descends into trainwreck status is never a good thing because, well, who likes wasted potential? We're 40% finished with E7AO and there hasn't been a single event that's definitively sent the series over the event horizon into the black hole of insanity, so if it does reach trainwreck status, it's just going to be your standard bad/convoluted trainwreck instead of good/Code Geass-style trainwreck.

Dresden

Today they got me started. Bioware shouldnt be fucking talking. Just because they got that cushy EA money and thinking they hot shit with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age. HOLD the phone boys... what that smell? BULLSHIT. First off NO ENDING for MASS Effect. I MEAN fucking Capcom gave me a DAMN good ending with Dragons Dogma. WHERE was that shit son? I mean if these folks were so "Talented" and EA hired all these major VA's to give out NO ENDING? FUCK THAT Nonsense.

Let me get to the main point though... Funi getting there folks on this Dragon Age SHIT, and I do mean SHIT shows how desprate these fuckers have gotten. This is OMG SRLY shit son. Not only The sequal is bad...this...i cant even call this anime - i cant even call it animation... its just dude bro shit comissioned by d-squad teams. Its like they said, "OMG i rememember dragonball z and some shit rite and toonami right so likes have some like this pixar thing and what not and it would be the greatest shit ever..."

ugh. no. This is why we cant have nice things folks. There is a reason why CGI is used very sparaginly in anime folks. It just LOOKS horrible. Not the fault of the animators. IT just does. Out of place. So when you have fuckers who cant come up with an ending (watch them steal from Dragons Dogma i bet you) say they know anime? dont make me laugh. Toonami had to come back to REMIND these hipsters what the GENRE MEANS FOLKS. Forget the Moe - thats a trend that is being transformed into something much more than NTR bullshit. When somebody who does nothing but look at fake ass vectors all day says they know anime? Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Good thing I have this handy for moments like this one.

07Sph.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Directionless? E7AO isn't lacking direction, it's the direction itself--where it's heading--that feels lacking.

The events aren't as crammed together as something like Apollon, either; there's enough care to build things up before letting them happen. Even the Truth sections hold true to this. I'm worried about where they're going, but for now, it's been a competent show.

I don't know that it's necessarily possible to deduce just where E7AO is going at this point. It's going somewhere, which is indisputable, but the question of which secondary plot threads will gain relevance and which will simply sputter out is up in the air, and all we're guaranteed at this point is resolution to the few central issues like Truth's identity and the mysteries surrounding Eureka. Right now the series is spinning its wheels with fluff like episodic Secret battles and government plots and just doesn't give any indication at all of what it wants to do with any of this. It's not a bad show by any means, just incredibly disorganized.

1stStrike

Banned

There's a lot of anger in this post.

Dresden

I don't know that it's necessarily possible to deduce just where E7AO is going at this point. It's going somewhere, which is indisputable, but the question of which secondary plot threads will gain relevance and which will simply sputter out is up in the air, and all we're guaranteed at this point is resolution to the few central issues like Truth's identity and the mysteries surrounding Eureka. Right now the series is spinning its wheels with fluff like episodic Secret battles and government plots and just doesn't give any indication at all of what it wants to do with any of this. It's not a bad show by any means, just incredibly disorganized.

The subplots aren't particularly involving, though: they're not the sort of strands that would take a lot of time to sort out. There's still the setup underpinning the entire setting which also acts as the main driving force of the plot, that is, the mystery of the scub corals/Renton's origins, and even the problematic Truth subplot hinges around this central mystery. The episodic content has all served to drive character development (and it hasn't exactly been subtle about this; the show tends to hit you over the head with its themes) while fleshing out the universe.

Ao isn't a great show, but I think we're overreacting a tad bit right now. This being Bones, anything is possible, but for now I'm content to see just where it's heading.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really not clear what the theme of the show is at this point.

I hesitate to say "Truth", because that would be way too obvious and the hackiest of writers wouldn't do that.

Dresden

This is supposed to be pretty grimdark, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

Moob Wub is supposed to be pretty grimdark after you sort through all the harem stuff. Bullet boobs, bad art, and Satelight CG™ Mecha don't exactly inspire confidence though.

I hesitate to say "Truth", because that would be way too obvious and the hackiest of writers wouldn't do that.
I'm getting flashbacks to those Lindelof-Aikawa comparisons from last night...

Moob Wub is supposed to be pretty grimdark after you sort through all the harem stuff. Bullet boobs, bad art, and Satelight CG™ Mecha don't exactly inspire confidence though.
I'll have to give it a shot then, at least. The art doesn't seem too offensive, though that CG is fucking awful. The boobs I have no problems with.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 12
Extreme insect catching!
And here starts the infamous Endless Eight. For what I'll be seeing over and over, it isn't bad. Just summer things you do during summer. I do expect at least different Kyon commentary.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Mahou Poni Twilight-chan 8

Poor Twilight, her very first sleep over party didn't treet her very nicely.

Har har har.

I'll stop there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
QkAQrl.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on what I find wrong about the shooting/action in Jormungand or Upotte, but the way they're shown makes it feel like they're shooting laser tag guns and not real weapons. They're basically modern day GI Joes.

Maybe it's the sound mix and the shots aren't loud enough, maybe it's because you can't show fine grain adjustments that people make between shots just to readjust after recoil, maybe it's as simple as the fact that they just stand there and don't give one fuck. But for whatever reason, even the cartoony freddiew youtube special effects movies end up feeling more like watching someone shoot a real weapon than what I've seen here.

Heck, maybe it's just something you can't animate at all?

Jex

I think this is true some of the time, but not always. For example, I felt that the 'action sequence' in last weeks episode was sorely lacking in terms of weight and tension namely because they kept inter-cutting it with all these other subplots and characters.

http://i.imgur.com/QkAQrl.jpg[IMG]

I can't quite put my finger on what I find wrong about the shooting/action in Jormungand or Upotte, but the way they're shown makes it feel like they're shooting laser tag guns and not real weapons. They're basically modern day GI Joes.

Maybe it's the sound mix and the shots aren't loud enough, maybe it's because you can't show fine grain adjustments that people make between shots just to readjust after recoil, maybe it's as simple as the fact that they just stand there and don't give one fuck. But for whatever reason, even the cartoony freddiew youtube special effects movies end up feeling more like watching someone shoot a real weapon than what I've seen here.

Heck, maybe it's just something you can't animate at all?[/QUOTE]

It's more that the cartoony freediw youtube special effects movies are completly unrealistic.

[url]http://youtu.be/uZt76de-CNs[/url] (the guy uses the same rifle as Lehm in the scene and the guy is using the full automatic mode and not the three burst mode.)

modern 5,56mm rifles have no heavy recoil or something anymore.

cajunator

Banned
QkAQrl.jpg

Heck, maybe it's just something you can't animate at all?

shots in open air aren't all that loud IMO. Only when you are in an enclosed area does it becomes really earsplitting, like an indoor range or underneath a metal canopy. Handguns especially just sound like a bunch of firecrackers going off. There's not a whole lot of theatrics to shooting most guns. If you want theatrics, shoot a 50 caliber or an elephant gun or a Desert Eagle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's more that the cartoony freediw youtube special effects movies are completly unrealistic.

http://youtu.be/uZt76de-CNs (the guy uses the same rifle as Lehm in the scene)

shots in open air aren't all that loud IMO. Only when you are in an enclosed area does it becomes really earsplitting, like an indoor range or underneath a metal canopy. Handguns especially just sound like a bunch of firecrackers going off. There's not a whole lot of theatrics to shooting most guns. If you want theatrics, shoot a 50 caliber or an elephant gun or a Desert Eagle.

I'm not sure what it is, but the shooting in the anime doesn't quite look like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbiUpjIHIAo&feature=endscreen&NR=1
In that video, you can see the recoil in his arm as he takes each shot. He pulls back slightly and has to readjust to get back on target. I think that's basically what my brain expects when I see people shoot weapons or something... I'm not sure.

Jex

It's really not clear what the theme of the show is at this point.

One way to try and think about this question is to ask: who arethe main characters, including the protaganist, of Eureka Seven AO and what do they want? Who are the main antagonists, and what do they want? How, exactly will all the groups we've met so far achieve their ends and what have they done so far to achieve them?

The fact that this isn't known after nine episodes feels rather telling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One way to try and think about this question is to ask: who the main characters, including the protaganist, of Eureka Seven AO and what do they want? Who are the main antagonists, and what do they way? The fact that this isn't known after nine episodes feels rather telling.
Well, to be fair, the original Eureka 7 started the same way. Dude just joins this bunch of man-children because he wants to be a part of something bigger. Ao sort of has the same motivations. It's just that nothing really happens after that in AO.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not sure what it is, but the shooting in the anime doesn't quite look like that.
In that video, you can see the recoil in his arm as he takes each shot. He pulls back slightly and has to readjust to get back on target. I think that's basically what my brain expects when I see people shoot weapons or something... I'm not sure.

Well the whole "invisible recoil" phenomenon is hardly unique to anime. I watch people shooting automatic weapons in movies while staying in one place and I just laugh.

Jex

Well, to be fair, the original Eureka 7 started the same way. Dude just joins this bunch of man-children because he wants to be a part of something bigger. Ao sort of has the same motivations. It's just that nothing really happens after that in AO.

Well that's really the classic Sunrise/Gundam 'opening' formula where the first few episodes just introduce us to the world and characters before we actually get to the main 'plot' of the series, but they rarely take this long to get rolling.

Which isn't to say that I approve of the formula, even when it's done well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well that's really the classic Sunrise/Gundam 'opening' formula where the first few episodes just introduce us to the world and characters before we actually get to the main 'plot' of the series, but they rarely take this long to get rolling.
I'll be honest - the only thing I can remember about the first half of Eureka 7 is that Holland is a giant dick. Maybe it'll take 26 episodes for AO to set up the dickishness of one of its characters. :p

Well the whole "invisible recoil" phenomenon is hardly unique to anime. I watch people shooting automatic weapons in movies while staying in one place and I just laugh.
Hah, true. I mean, I look at something like that Ghost Recon movie that came out a few weeks ago and even though that's basically a CG-fest, it looks like the guys are shooting weapons and also being shot at.

Are there any examples of "sakuga" involving soldiers shooting weapons? I'm wondering if it's a quality issue rather than an issue with the medium itself.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 13
What's the point?
Good episode. I like that they are dwelling on the fact that everything is repeating and I am even more impressed by how long it took for Kyon to actually realize that. Pretty nice that everything doesn't fully repeat and that it was addressed pretty quickly in the run of eight episodes. Though, can't imagine what they could be doing in repeating all this stuff six more times.

Jex

I'll be honest - the only thing I can remember about the first half of Eureka 7 is that Holland is a giant dick. Maybe it'll take 26 episodes for AO to set up the dickishness of one of its characters. :p

Well, I have always said that the original Eureka Seven has terrible pacing, so perhaps this is nothing new.

Dresden

It's about a boy searching for a place to call home. I mean, at one point the show even dyes his hair. Themes of alienation/ostracism run all throughout, and the last few episodes (excepting the Truth eps) have all been about his integration into the unit, which in itself operates as an independent actor of sorts in the field.

We could just fuck around and say it's the Mass Effect 2 of E7, though. DaddyIssues: AO.

Jex

That just sounds like a lot of extra hard work to me!

Plus, you do realise that you're talking about Studio White Fox, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom