• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
infinite stratos 5

ishit5.jpg

"Mon Dieu!"

aahahahaahhaha oh my god. the french and german accents are fucking incredible

Baccano! 1-13
Having heard so many good things about it I suppose my expectations were too high, but this show was a disappointment. It had its moments and its certainly entertaining at times, but I don't really understand why it's so highly praised. The plot structure works fine once you slog through the beginning, but I can't say they use this structure in a particularly interesting way. The way the story is told actually takes away from the suspense and mystery because you already know the conditions of these characters in the future. My biggest problem with the show is that it's filled with flat and undeveloped characters, the especially awful ones like Isaac, Miria, Jacuzzi, and even Claire made me want to skip scenes or mute the sound whenever they showed up. I'm probably coming off too hard here, but I found Baccano to be more mediocre than amazing.

sleepykyo

6 episodes of Queen's Blade Rebellion down. Hmm, somehow this series hasn't even matched the low bar of the previous seasons, which is kind of disappointing since I was really looking forward to it.

Makoto

Makoto, unlike a number of others
(along with anyone who dislikes Nichijou)
, I actually care to hear quite a bit of your opinions.
I'm not sure if my heart will be able to take this from you...

But it will be what it will be, hope you find something enjoyable in your watch.
I was 12 episodes into it before I dropped it, the furthest I've ever gone with a show before dropping it. My main compliment is that there wasn't enough Yuko/Mio/Mai and too much of everything else. I want to like it but in the past I've attributed my lack of interest as a result of not understanding the jokes. Perhaps you could clarify, but my gut is telling me that Nichijou is a mix of humor centric to Japanese cultural and then some broader, more foreigner-relatable skits. It's like showing a non-western, non-English speaker some of the best SNL skits and them not laughing at all after showing it to them. Is it entirely the fault of the show itself because they're not making a foreigner laugh? Eh, not entirely. In that sense, I don't think it would be fair of me to berate Nichijou for something that's not applicable to me. I know this diminishes the suspense of the impressions but unless Nichijou changes genres and turns into a shonen as soon as I pick where I left off, I don't think you'll be seeing anything harsh being thrown its way.

infinite stratos 5
That is one unflattering shot of Char.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are you astounded about how it's one of the best shows of the season?
Come on son. In a season with Space Brothers and AKB0048 you're calling MGX one of the best?

They had the guts to give Elfen Lied's story only a B+, that has to count for something.
I'd give it a U just for the ending. One of the worst cases of an idiotic MC I've ever seen. It is literally the only bit of the story has stuck in my mind because of how mind-boggling stupid he was.

wait
people genuinely like blood-c
not ironically ?
I have a friend who told me it was the best show of the season. I saw him watch an episode and I can tell you he wasn't watching it for the comedy.

Because they're playing a 2D game?
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE FOR EVERYTHING! HAVEN'T YOU LISTENED TO GAMING SIDE?

duckroll

Hyouka Ep8 Further Theories

araOE.jpg

I'm starting to think everything hinges on this line here. I was thinking about the short film in the episode while at the library today, and it dawned upon me that if as she claims the writer followed all the rules of classic detective fiction... then the most obvious missing component here is the detective himself. The film as it exists only shows the lead up to the crime. In fact, she says the film is supposed to be an hour long, but the clip shown is less than 6 minutes.

What does this mean? I think if we take her literally, then they're actually going to write the Classics Club into the film as the main characters, and they have to "solve" the mystery while also being filmed as the main characters - Houtarou being the detective. Mentioning the specific rules is not an info bite, but rather a requirement them want to reinforce onto them, something which Satoshi is expected to pick up on, as a "human database". She's telling them the sort of detective story they want, and they'll end up acting in it and writing it for them. Lol.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. The characters are being suckered and played to the max based on their known characteristics and usefulness. This is going to be so much more interesting than the normal episodes. Oh boy.

Saint Seiya Omega 11

Ugh, I see the silver saints are even MORE useless than they were in the original somehow. It was a neat strategy, but
a single attack from a bronze saint should not take out a silver saint, especially when the latter can pummel on the former yet still be able to get back up

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I should probably ask him what he thought of the show in the end. The episode I saw him watch was the one with eyeball monster where protection did happen so perhaps he saw the light a few episodes later, especially as he had that ridiculous purple gobshite to look forward to, who despite being told if there to eat people managed to just eat one person out of the gazzillion he killed. That's like me eating my dinner and managing to flick my chips off my fork every time I try to put one in my mouth and then wondering why I starved to death.

Why am I even ranting about this bloody show?

duckroll

Blood-C is a fantastic show. I love it unironically. It's a lot of fun, it's CLAMP to the max, and it was action packed. Great music and designs too. The monsters looked awesome, the characters were cute, there's great action direction, and the climax is everything it needs to be and more.

Ultimadrago

I was 12 episodes into it before I dropped it, the furthest I've ever gone with a show before dropping it. My main compliment is that there wasn't enough Yuko/Mio/Mai and too much of everything else. I want to like it but in the past I've attributed my lack of interest as a result of not understanding the jokes. Perhaps you could clarify, but my gut is telling me that Nichijou is a mix of humor centric to Japanese cultural and then some broader, more foreigner-relatable skits. It's like showing a non-western, non-English speaker some of the best SNL skits and them not laughing at all after showing it to them. Is it entirely the fault of the show itself because they're not making a foreigner laugh? Eh, not entirely. In that sense, I don't think it would be fair of me to berate Nichijou for something that's not applicable to me. I know this diminishes the suspense of the impressions but unless Nichijou changes genres and turns into a shonen as soon as I pick where I left off, I don't think you'll be seeing anything harsh being thrown its way.

I would say you're pretty accurate. There are a number of jokes focused more on Japanese culture (A prime example in episode 19). It also uses more broad/universal humor, solidified by reaction faces and physical humor that "disturb the calm" set by the atmosphere. This said, I agree with your note that while the cultural jokes shooting overhead (for a foreigner) are not entirely the show's fault, some of the humor just will not "hit" despite being a part of the latter group mentioned. I also agree that Yuuko and Mio are the best parts of the show, though I found myself never unsettled by anyone else's presence on-screen. A rare case where I at least like everyone in a show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I would say you're pretty accurate. There are a number of jokes focused more on Japanese culture (A prime example in episode 19). It also uses more broad/universal humor, solidified by reaction faces and physical humor that "disturb the calm" set by the atmosphere. This said, I agree with your note that while the cultural jokes shooting overhead (for a foreigner) are not entirely the show's fault, some of the humor just will not "hit" despite being a part of the latter group mentioned.

Also a lot of the skits are just plain unfunny, so there's that too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Blood-C is a fantastic show. I love it unironically. It's a lot of fun, it's CLAMP to the max, and it was action packed. Great music and designs too. The monsters looked awesome, the characters were cute, there's great action direction, and the climax is everything it needs to be and more.
This is one thing duckroll and I agree strongly on.

I'm not quite sure what "CLAMP" means in that context. Blood-C is the only thing I've fully watched written by them.
"Cute." Sure. >_>

Branduil

I can't consider Blood-C legitimately good. The characters are unsympathetic and stupid, and the first half of the show is way too slow and repetitive.

The movie could be good, though.

I can't consider Blood-C legitimately good. The characters are unsympathetic and stupid, and the first half of the show is way too slow and repetitive.

The movie could be good, though.
That's a problem? If you feel sympathy, you're doing it wrong. Normally I hate characters that stupid with a passion, but the payoff was well worth it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Matey, the first monster was a bloody statue in the middle of the lake. Could it even open its mouth to eat? You probably found people went near the lake and went, "Hey Barry-san, what the feck that rocky turd doing in the middle of the lake?" And then the monster goes, (did it speak, I can't even remember. Whatever.) "I'm here to eat you! WOOOOO" and Barry is like, "What are you talking about mate? You're all the way in the middle of a lake. You expect me to go over to you?" And the statue replies "Yes." and Barry responds, "Fuck that mate. You think I'm getting my feet wet for that? I'm going home to watch the footie. Ta ra".

And so the statue is bored stiff for another day.

wonzo

Banned
Malice@Doll a.k.a a sentient real-doll living in a post apocalyptic hellscape

malicedoll.jpg

creepy doll yuri~

Take the cover, add a little bit of "gore" and animate it at 5 frames per second and you've got the aesthetic of this movie pretty much nailed down. It's little wonder why it's listed as a horror film given how gruesome it looks. The
doll tentacle rape scene
and
the monstrous flesh-doll hybrids
really stand testament as to just how fucked up this is. Fortunately, the English dub also helped in adding an extra layer of weird to the already bizarre and nonsensical plot.

I'd really only recommend this if you're looking for something so creepy and completely and utterly out there that you're willing to watch one of the most visually horrible things you'll probably ever see. Oh, and apparently this was originally a 3 part OVA that was edited into one single 90 Movie and was also later released on Blu-Ray! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and bleach my eyes.

Articalys

REDLINE

So this is Koike's legendary seven-year project. Even if it sometimes just feels like style for style's sake, the animation in this is definitely pretty ace. Music was equally outstanding, characters were all likeable, and the plot... well, maybe they threw a bit too much in there for a film for what should have just been about a badass road race and just the main characters' backstories, but it wasn't too much of a problem. The biggest complaints I have are that
there wasn't really enough car-fu in the main race itself, and the movie ends so damn abruptly, with zero denouement -- it's just like "OK, they won, show's over, go home"
. Aside from that, yeah, I enjoyed it. Wish I'd bothered to go see in in theaters when I had the chance.

Upotte!! 9
HFx8H.jpg

They're certainly potent.
A fanservice episode in a fanservice anime? Oh joy! Boobs, butts, rays of light, and creepy fox girls, this episodes got it all. I eagerly await the bluray release, I mean it's a great episode. can't believe the show is only one more episode...
1ufqi.jpg

Oh right, there was another half to the episode...
Those communist girls are creepy, it's gonna be great seeing how the next episode will pan out. And why does she wear an eye-patch anyways? Hopefully Galil, 18, and the new girl don't get to miss out on the action next episode, as it looks like it's gonna be a hot one!
a5jcc.jpg

It would probably be easier to see without the mask on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom