• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medaka Box 11

kXz8U.jpg

They definitely got the expression right here.

This episode reminds me that Kumagawa is still the most hyped up villain over the longest period of time in the series. I mean once we found out how ridiculously broken
Najimu
was, she had already been around for a bit, so that kind of disqualifies her.

Anyway, good adaptation of a not bad fight. Couple of instances of good animation, mostly high tension, good use of music; I'd say they successfully transferred the first post-genre shift arc to animated form.

Now to wait for the bullshit original ending next week and see if there's any news of a 2nd season.

I just figured out that I could use avatars under 50 kb. So gratifying to use my old Devroom snaps again.

This post, for posterity, features Asa-Chang staring at you from the annals of J-ska history.

Jex

Haha, it's just been bugging me.

Watching the intro to Jormungand 10 again, I actually see that they try to simulate the body moving in sync with the recoil, but it still doesn't look right. Beyond the confusing geography of the scene, nothing has any weight in the world and nothing looks real. I dunno... I still can't put my finger on it.

Once again, you're talking about a studio that doesn't do character animation well, let alone anything else.

Anyway, when did you start paying attention to the actual animation?

Once again, you're talking about a studio that doesn't do character animation well, let alone anything else.

Anyway, when did you start paying attention to the actual animation?
that's the price of making animes without cute little school girls.

But it's interesting that Jormungand is at the moment one of the best selling animes this season. Japan wants more non school girls animes! There is hope for a bright future.

Narag

Lupin's gang has never been a permanent establishment, yes. The problem's he has with Fujiko, to which Jigen and Goemon refrain from dealing with a good deal of the time, are always the problems that bring him and the whole plan down, if at all. And it's implied that, when they aren't doing a job, they're off doing their own business (sans Jigen who almost-always seems to stick around with Lupin—Fujikoike did a great job of explaining why, too).

I think this group mechanic is quite interesting in itself, and the two Lupin productions that play with it the most are Mystery of Mamo and Strange Psychokinetic Strategy. The former film definitively deals with Fujiko and her relation to the Lupin gang itself, whilst the latter live-action film crafts new backstories and personalities for each of the characters, in turn changing the group dynamic itself (furthermore by Goemon's absence). Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, I'm going to revisit Mystery of Mamo down the line. I watched it forever ago and it left a bad taste in my mouth, rewatched it last year and felt the same, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't my lack of grasp on the characters that made me think they felt too raw.

He doesn't deserve the original series.

Eureka Seven? Really? It was a 50 episodes series which had a story that could easily have been told in 25 and the entire first half of the series was spent on the main characters being total douchebags to each other. I'm sorry, E7 had some high points but there was way too much shit between the high points which shouldn't have been there. It didn't rise to Blood+ levels of time-wasting but that's not exactly saying a whole lot.

Yeah, I'm going to revisit Mystery of Mamo down the line. I watched it forever ago and it left a bad taste in my mouth, rewatched it last year and felt the same, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't my lack of grasp on the characters that made me think they felt too raw.
It's fairly-raw overall, actually. But I love it for the crazy animation, ridiculous plot, and wondrous character interaction.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka Seven? Really? It was a 50 episodes series which had a story that could easily have been told in 25 and the entire first half of the series was spent on the main characters being total douchebags to each other. I'm sorry, E7 had some high points but there was way too much shit between the high points which shouldn't have been there. It didn't rise to Blood+ levels of time-wasting but that's not exactly saying a whole lot.

arent you idolmaster fan #1?

Overall it's not that great, but he still doesn't deserve it!

Jex

[Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san] - OVA 3

I still prefer this show in extremely short bursts, but that was still enjoyable. I hope they make some more.

Jex

^ God damn that's one awesome Mazinger Z.

Wait, so do people hate Madoka now? Or is it just the insane hyperbole that people have a problem with.

'Internet backlash' is hardly a new phenomenon. It's just a natural part of any critical review cycle.

Jex

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The phenomenon known as backlog is baffling to me, it's not a burden!

I suppose 'having a backlog' is a source of pressure for some people, as if they can't possibly rest until they've devoured everything. I don't think that makes much sense though, because whatever entertainment you enjoy whether it be movies, games, music, books or whatever there will always more for you to consume.

Perhaps it's because people have the assumption that there just can't be that much good anime to watch and eventually they'll get through all of it and then 'move on', as it's a finite resource.

/XX/

Best thing about seeing that is I did not know this was coming:

東映ビデオ:初回生産限定「マジンガー THE MOVIE Blu-ray 1973~1976」特集
http://www.toei-video.co.jp/BD/mazinger-the-movie.html

Includes the versus movie against UFO Robot Grendizer. Yeah!

Articalys

Sket Dance 62

THE SCHOOL TRIP RHAPSODY ARC IS FINALLY HERE

thought this week was just the prelude. The real fun starts next week. Looks like the trip itself'll be a two-parter, three chapters per episode. Fair enough.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO ]

The subplots aren't particularly involving, though: they're not the sort of strands that would take a lot of time to sort out. There's still the setup underpinning the entire setting which also acts as the main driving force of the plot, that is, the mystery of the scub corals/Renton's origins, and even the problematic Truth subplot hinges around this central mystery. The episodic content has all served to drive character development (and it hasn't exactly been subtle about this; the show tends to hit you over the head with its themes) while fleshing out the universe.
You're correct in pointing out how all the shows unexplained mysteries are interwoven together in a relatively neat manner but I think the real problem lays in the pacing.

Before we've even really had things like the Scub Coral and Secrets explained or even understood at a basic level they introduced the plot about Ao's (not Renton's) origins and before that even had time to breathe we were introduced to the Truth who ignores all the rules of the game.

Even with all this going on, or rather, because of all this 'plot', I still don't feel like I know or care about any of the characters because there hasn't been enough time to do that.

I hate to go all out and drudge up Evangelion but I feel the way that show handled characterization is quite notable because of how much time it devote to scenes that aren't plot or action orientated. Asuka doesn't even show up until the 8th episode which gave all the characters lots of time to breathe.

Of course, I realize that that's a rather unfair comparison because Evangelion had an extremely basic 'plot' that didn't require lots of exposition.
Ao isn't a great show, but I think we're overreacting a tad bit right now. This being Bones, anything is possible, but for now I'm content to see just where it's heading.
On the other hand, when we consider that this is a BONES production, when was the last time that an original BONES anime layered all these elements together and managed to resolve everything successfully at the end?

Jex

I've a feeling it's going to be one of those animator specific things where some just get it and some don't.

Mitsuo Iso certainly seems to have a grasp on it. He did the tank scene linked above, part of the opening scene in 0080 that opens that youtube vid where the guns have such force and recoil in the GM hands, and this scene from Blue Submarine 6 where there's recoil evident in subtle movement of the jacket and the bouncing strap.

If you have to resort to Mitsuo Iso isn't that the same thing as saying that it's not something that we ever see in anime?

Narag

If you have to resort to Mitsuo Iso isn't that the same thing as saying that it's not something that we ever see in anime?

After watching a bunch of gun stuff last night, yeah. It was just weird as the good scenes I came across came back to him.

duckroll

After watching a bunch of gun stuff last night, yeah. It was just weird as the good scenes I came across came back to him.

I liked the way the gun stuff was done in F/Z 23. They expressed the feel of the recoil and automatic firing by using the lighting, a lot like how action movies in the 80s and 90s did. It comes off as visually convincing in the overall composition of the scene.

No naruto shippuden today?

Medaka Box 11
tumblr_m5kk8dEKzZ1r5chojo1_250.png

The anime has so much potential but fails to capitalize it. Words can not truly express how much I dislike Medaka. What was she even fighting for, why, why in the world did they power her up so much, utterly ridiculous. She has absolutely nothing going for her at all, no redeeming qualities, or even motivations, even worst she isnt even driven by friendship. Why do shonen series have to resort to giving attention to these terrible characters, first last weeks episode of Saint Seiya Omega with Yuna, and now today with Medaka in Medaka Box.

Can Zenkichi get in on the action? Unzen was/is way more appealing than Medaka and even had the better premise. For all purposes, I had to agree with Zenkichi about him, except for the part of liking Medaka more. I can already foresee that he will be extensively out of the plot, ugh.

Also the episodes featured illustration wasnt that good, like a bunch of scribbles.

Narag

Now, to be fair, recoil is ignored quite often in live action movies as well, so it's hardly all anime's fault.

Just makes it more noteworthy as extra attention to detail when it's done right though.

I liked the way the gun stuff was done in F/Z 23. They expressed the feel of the recoil and automatic firing by using the lighting, a lot like how action movies in the 80s and 90s did. It comes off as visually convincing in the overall composition of the scene.

F/Z was something that came to mind when Firehawk brought this up but I couldn't remember any good scenes as I was thinking more Kiritsugu when it came to gunplay.

And now that I look, we have something like this from the Kiritsugu vs Kayneth scene that puts his body in motion due to recoil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=itLNLdkdC50#t=46s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom