• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
speaking of which, what was animegaf's consensus on [C]?

I recall liking it (probably because I knew day 1 the ending wasn't gonna be good). The guy's avatar thing was cute. World was cool. Some of the econ stuff were iffy, but tv.

I watched all of it except the final episode, I just didn't give a shit at all that point to know how it will end. The premise was cool but it had ugly CG, uninteresting characters, and just unmemorable at the end of the day.

cajunator

Banned
Wooper, like I said.
8IwUw.png

Well its pretty cool. It goes :D

tiff

Banned
was Wandering Son an issue of no one being able to relate to it or can I safely blame Fractale for fucking that up too.

Articalys

If the US release of Fractale somehow sold less than 1 frt I would laugh.

Of course it's probably going to do better than that and it's not like we're ever going to know the sales numbers anyway, but still.

Lupin III A Woman Called Fujiko Mine 11

What bothers me is I didn't really take anything away from this that made me feel it was properly planned from start to finish. I really enjoy the show but some elements just feel slapdash. I'd like to be surprised by everything coming together at the end but that seems increasingly less likely.

It's far from perfect, and far from a classic. But it's far from bad, too. It's nestled in that "good" spectrum, a scenario wherein everyone wants to evaluate the production as "terrible" or "fantastic", yet I think it's interesting enough to work on its own merits and to offer something new within the Lupin franchise (which, regardless of the show's repute, is doing just fine). This show shouldn't have been as good as it is, considering the clearly-rushed status of pre-production and the staffing itself, not to mention a premise that has to be carefully-manipulated in order to work. If it ends on a bad note, failing to resolve key plot points convincingly, then the whole thing will fall apart, and it would be a quintessential failure. There's still the possibility of finishing it up beautifully, though, and that's what's keeping my interest, now that every outlandish story element is in place.

Between the apparent time period, green jacket, and the lengths gone to keep Goemon and Lupin meeting, am I to assume this is supposed to lead into the first series? I think I assumed this existed in a vacuum until recently. Episode 9 of the first series had me wondering this as well as Fujiko was described as
amnesiac about her past three years prior.
Well: we won't know how much time would have passed between this series and, presumably, the first series until, maybe, the final episode. Who knows if its connected at all anyway!

All I know is that the first series is still better, and still more interesting to talk about in an analytical context. Keep watching that at least!

Narag

Sailor Moon S 117

Ikuhara ep!

Uh wow, Professor Tomoe
playing Twister or at least some analogue of it
was one of the better gags in the series. I think I was expecting something serious from this episode whereas I was blessed by Ikuhara with something hilarious. Best Pink Sugar Heart Attack? I'd say so.

It never occurred to me until this episode that Tomoe's face always in shadow along with the other members of the Death Busters helped put the current antagonist front and center when they were fully lit.

It's been a fine day for stumbling onto the sources of .gifs I see here and there.

survivor

Banned
You don't have to worry about that, they've licensed Tatami Galaxy.

But it's looking less likely that it will get a physical release at this point.

I hope the series gets picked up by a different company just like how NIS released House of Five Leaves even though Funimation had the streaming rights.

Articalys

Attention all Australians: over the last month or so, Madman has been revealing the results of a "Top 20 Anime of All Time (that Madman has released)" poll they ran on their website, and only now has the full list finally been assembled:
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Death Note
5. Naruto
6. Code Geass
7. Cowboy Bebop
8. Bleach
9. Howl's Moving Castle
10. Spirited Away
11. Akira
12. Black Butler
13. One Piece
14. Ouran High School Host Club
15. Fruits Basket
16. Fairy Tail
17. My Neighbor Totoro
18. Ghost In The Shell
19. Astro Boy
20. Elfen Lied
Once again, only titles that Madman has legitimately released were eligible.

It'd be a tough job. A really-tough job, and it's just not going to sound like the original or anything similar, no matter how much you try. The English language isn't as articulate and flourished, for starters.

Attention all Australians: over the last month or so, Madman has been revealing the results of a "Top 20 Anime of All Time (that Madman has released)" poll they ran on their website, and only now has the full list finally been assembled:

Once again, only titles that Madman has legitimately released were eligible.

Would have been a much better list of friggin Black Butler wasn't on it.

Makoto

I doubt there's an English voice actor who could replicate Shintaro Asanuma's rapid-fire delivery. Not to mention how incredibly difficult it'd be to translate his monologues.
The subtitles script, with some tuning, could work for the dub script. Finding an actor might require Funi to hire someone but I've been hearing some rumors that they've hired a new guy for upcoming dubs so I don't think it's a lost cause. Edit: Not that I'm implying Tatami Galaxy will suddenly get a home release as a result or anything like that.

1stStrike

Banned
Does anything ever actually happen in Gintama? I'm 24 episodes in and most of the anime has just been a bunch of random side stories.

Does anything ever actually happen in Gintama? I'm 24 episodes in and most of the anime has just been a bunch of random side stories.

Gintama is mostly an episodic comedy, but extended serious arcs do eventually occur. The first big one begins at episode 58, though there are a couple shorter ones before that.

There is a very loose overarching plot that has had maybe 4 episodes maximum contribute to it (beyond plot thread introductions of course). Probably my biggest complaint about the series.

The first real serious arc happens around the 60s I think. But they never last very long unfortunately.

Retcon: or 58 I guess.

There is a very loose overarching plot that has had maybe 4 episodes maximum contribute to it (beyond plot thread introductions of course). Probably my biggest complaint about the series.

The first real serious arc happens around the 60s I think. But they never last very long unfortunately.

I'm glad that Gintama doesn't focus too heavily on an overarching plot or drag out its serious arcs very long. Otherwise it'd fall prey to the terrible pacing that plagues most shounen adaptations.

1stStrike

Banned
Gintama is mostly an episodic comedy, but extended serious arcs do eventually occur. The first big one begins at episode 58, though there are a couple shorter ones before that.

Retcon: or 58 I guess.

Thanks. Seems like I have a bit to go. When it gets serious, I think they do it really well. I do understand that's not the focus of the series, but I kind of get worn out on an anime if nothing is actually happening to draw me in.

NewFresh

Sailor Moon S 117

Ikuhara ep!

Uh wow, Professor Tomoe
playing Twister or at least some analogue of it
was one of the better gags in the series. I think I was expecting something serious from this episode whereas I was blessed by Ikuhara with something hilarious. Best Pink Sugar Heart Attack? I'd say so.

It never occurred to me until this episode that Tomoe's face always in shadow along with the other members of the Death Busters helped put the current antagonist front and center when they were fully lit.

It's been a fine day for stumbling onto the sources of .gifs I see here and there.

6uJJq.gif

duckroll

I feel you're missing the point. I know you don't like pictures, but there's nothing wrong with lots of text or pictures provided actual opinions or positions are expressed. Doing nothing but summarizing is the problem, and it's not appropriate to give the impression people shouldn't contribute to the thread.

Envelope's contentless 3 line MLP text summaries are more vapid.

No, I'm not missing the point. When there are 20-30 HD images embedded into a post, it's no longer about "making a point" but just image spamming. It makes it difficult to load on certain devices, and depending on the size of the images it can be a huge memory drain. If there is an insistence on using tons of images for impressions, they shoul put more effort into using 360p thumbnails instead, with a click-through to a HD version if they want. Abusing the quote tag to make HD images appear smaller and then spamming 20 of them in a row is actually making it hard for me to use the thread. Hence I am complaining both as a mod and as a user.

If people do the same thing in any other thread I read frequently, I also complain about it and I make them stop. I've done it on Gaming and Off-Topic. Most people aren't assholes about it. But somehow the people here seem to think that this is the "right" way to post impression because they're used to anime-blog culture, which I find just as vapid as 3 word impressions.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 2nd PV

http://youtu.be/o4FqXupHa58

fujoshi bait

Niiiiiice. I'm going to grow up to be a fujoshi!! ^_^

I'm glad that Gintama doesn't focus too heavily on an overarching plot or drag out its serious arcs very long. Otherwise it'd fall prey to the terrible pacing that plagues most shounen adaptations.

There's a difference between being drawn out and being given enough time to flesh out the conflict. Gintama is frustrating because it doesn't do the latter very well, ultimately making things not matter in the long run.

1stStrike

Banned
No, I'm not missing the point. When there are 20-30 HD images embedded into a post, it's no longer about "making a point" but just image spamming. It makes it difficult to load on certain devices, and depending on the size of the images it can be a huge memory drain. If there is an insistence on using tons of images for impressions, they shoul put more effort into using 360p thumbnails instead, with a click-through to a HD version if they want. Abusing the quote tag to make HD images appear smaller and then spamming 20 of them in a row is actually making it hard for me to use the thread. Hence I am complaining both as a mod and as a user.

If people do the same thing in any other thread I read frequently, I also complain about it and I make them stop. I've done it on Gaming and Off-Topic. Most people aren't assholes about it. But somehow the people here seem to think that this is the "right" way to post impression because they're used to anime-blog culture, which I find just as vapid as 3 word impressions.

I have to agree with duckroll on this. Any time someone posts a shit ton of images on a page and I load it on my cell phone it consumes a fuck ton of memory and at times can even cause the browser to crash. I'm fine with people posting images too, as I do it myself, but there's no reason to post double digit numbers of them on a forum post.

There's a difference between being drawn out and being given enough time to flesh out the conflict. Gintama is frustrating because it doesn't do the latter very well, ultimately making things not matter in the long run.

Except for the overly-long Yoshiwara arc, Gintama takes exactly the amount of time it needs to make its serious arcs impactful - it sets up the situation efficiently and gets to the heart of the conflict and the importance it has to the characters under focus in a timely manner. I'd much rather these localized arcs than an overarching plot which feels like it's spinning its wheels episode after episode. Admittedly my experience with these very long battle shounen is minimal, but feeling that nothing important was happening each episode was the main thing that turned me off from watching Dragon Ball Z as a child.

Narag

Upotte!! 8

Weakest episode so far. Aside from Galil and the zombie makeup stuff, it was like a series of unfunny skits preying on the teacher's ignorance of the school when he should be far more adjusted* by now. There wasn't even any of the shock humor the show excels at. One could skip this episode entirely and not miss anything.

*As adjusted as one can be in a school of anthro guns.

tiff

Banned
Using the quote tag to downsize images is considered abuse? I've seen people do that all the time, I had no idea it was against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom