• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Maybe, but the time wasted is reasonably low that I'd be willing to sacrifice that time in hopes I might enjoy the later parts of the series. Also, being able to tear it apart later is worth the time investment. (and I'd give a movie the courtesy of watching through it regardless if I don't like it, a 4 hour series aint much different)
It's only a waste of time if you consider it a waste of time. Otherwise, why not?

Dresden

Well, you're never going to read every book, or watch every show, or play every game you want to. Resigning yourself to this consumer culture hell is just one step to accepting that life is awesome as long as you're rich and white.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ouran High School Host Club 1

Ludicrously ornate private school for the ultra-rich elites? Androgynous boys striking florid poses? An androgynous girl who's the cutest of them all? Roses, roses everywhere? Sure, I'm down.

Some of the comedic tricks used here were pretty neat, such as the continually progressing lightbulb gag. I particularly liked the arrow pointing to the vase throughout the first scene as Haruhi is meeting the Host Club. There's an almost Hitchcockian sense of suspense as you know that vase is going to drop; you're just waiting for that moment to strike.

I had a conversation with duckroll a while back in which he mentioned that all of Bones' works feel like the product of a male-oriented studio culture, but this feels pretty shoujo to me. There's certainly strong resemblances to Oniisama e/Utena/etc. in both content and visuals. This is not a surprise coming from Takuya Igarashi, whose pre-Bones career was spent working on Toei's shoujo shows.

Well, it is based on a shoujo manga!

And yup, it's a really fun show, but you've just reminded me I still need to finish it. :(

Kazzy

It's only a waste of time if you consider it a waste of time. Otherwise, why not?

Even if I can deem something "bad" after having watched it, I'd still agree that it can be considered worthwhile.

I mean, its all relative, how else would you develop your own taste/opinion's?

Like Fujiko progressively getting worse.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Shiki has very unique and adventurous hair design.

sdFPT.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I just finished watching Space Brothers and that was pretty fun. Does it continue to be that good?

Another one on my watch list, thank you.

If you mean you just finished watching the first episode, yes, it's one of the best shows of this season, it's consistently good.

:lol Yes, I meant to write that I finished watching the first episode. I'm glad that it can keep up the quality, I really liked the first EP.

Accel World 10
More exposition! Why not just release a manual already.
So, huh, PvP and now raids?
I guess it's cool another king is entering the stage.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fate/Zero 24:

The tradition of horrible CG liquid continues to this day. What ever the liquid is, it will always look awful in CG.

This whole episode had great animation and all, but basically played out as "Buy the full edition on overpriced Blu-Ray, coming soon!" I would expect the final version to be about 10 minutes longer.

Dresden

Fate/Zero 24:

The tradition of horrible CG liquid continues to this day. What ever the liquid is, it will always look awful in CG.

This whole episode had great animation and all, but basically played out as "Buy the full edition on overpriced Blu-Ray, coming soon!" I would expect the final version to be about 10 minutes longer.

You should watch Blue Exorcist. (I don't mean this in a 'that's how you do it' kind of a way.)

Jex

Better yet, don't need to spend time watching anime!

Well, there are certainly arguments for not watching anime, you're right. Yet, if I am going to be silly and devote some portion of my finite lifespan to watching anime it better be amazingly good or incredibly bad.
But then how would you experience wonders like School Days?

That would definitely fall under incredibly bad.

Kuroko's Basketball 11
tumblr_m5q7rb9fIb1qae592o1_r1_500.png

Takeo is way better than Midorima. I can not see how Seirin will will, Kurokicchi shut down and all plans failing. Hope he can pull through, they should just use the strategy when they were on top of each other, then they can stop Midorima.

Mind blown at
The full court shot like it was absolutely nothing at all as well as Takao's ability, didnt think someone could replicate Kuroko and still retain shooting abilitiy

Jex

Those poor characters, on a limbo until the end of time without any kind of conclusion to their life's story...

Just so that people can understand how far I am willing to go with this - I stopped watching K-On!! at the penultimate episode because I wasn't interested in continuing the series. So even though I only have one more episode to watch, I won't be finishing the series any time soon.

DiGiKerot

iDOLM@STER 26th Episode Spectacular - Perhaps a little Greatest Hits in places, and they kind-of frontloaded most of the best content, but that was a most satisfying episode of iM@S, containing all the essential components of a good episode of the show compressed into a handy 25-minute chunk.

Not half as showy as the Kisaragi trailer, but the gangster movie promo was a good laugh. Also Chihaya at karaoke was hilarious. Also Hamzou looked boss. Also Ritsuko with hiccups was adorable.

Guys I haven't watched an anime series since Soul Eater (which was last summer). Any recommendations in terms of new anime? I'm not familiar with any of the new stuff these days.

Guys I haven't watched an anime series since Soul Eater (which was last summer). Any recommendations in terms of new anime? I'm not familiar with any of the new stuff these days.

If you liked Soul Eater, watch Blue Exorcist.

What else do you like? There's been something for everyone in the last few years.

Jex

Fate/Zero 24:

Well it wasn't all bad. There were two relatively nice effects on display - the fire didn't look too bad and the water coming out of the sprinkler system looked great. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for every CG item in the episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Fate/Zero. I can give more recommendations if you list some things you've liked in the past.

Jex

In cajun dimension, SAO is the only anime they watch.

I would be interested in SAO but I am certain that it won't nearly be as stupid and silly as I want it to be. I imagine it will largely be boring.
It seems like we do this every couple of weeks, but oh well.

That's clearly just a sign that this thread has gone on too long.
I've been watching this for 7 minutes
I'm only at 4:28
THAT'S how much detail is in this show!
I'm going to love this, where have you been all my life?!

Well, don't forget to check out Riding Bean if you haven't already seen it as it's by the same creator.
So much anime I want to burn through this summer. I might reserve individual episode impressions for currently-airing series and then do impressions at set intervals for everything else to maximize my marathon efficiency. I sometimes forget that doing an AnimeGAF writeup for every episode of every series you're watching isn't compulsory!

Sadly that isn't very time efficient for me at the moment. I really need to do a complete write up for Shiguri and Emma Season Two. I was planning to do episode by episode impressions but it's been too long since I finished watching them.

/XX/

Just so that people can understand how far I am willing to go with this - I stopped watching K-On!! at the penultimate episode because I wasn't interested in continuing the series. So even though I only have one more episode to watch, I won't be finishing the series any time soon.
You did that with K-ON!!? That is even worse! I can understand dropping something focused on a continuing and linear plot if you aren't interested on it or the characters themselves, but the K-ON! & K-ON!! series are so relaxing and sweet (with healing properties?) you can even watch while doing other things without investing you too much in them "wasting" the time, the same as background music.

If you liked Soul Eater, watch Blue Exorcist.

What else do you like? There's been something for everyone in the last few years.

I like almost anything except romance stuff. Mostly shonen and mech anime for sure though.

Fate/Zero. I can give more recommendations if you list some things you've liked in the past.

Mostly old stuff. Like I mentioned above shonen and mech anime are always a watch for me.

Jex

Azazel-san

Just finished marathoning the last 6 episodes. It had some good jokes here and there but overall it was a forgettable experience. It doesn't even match up to the likes of Nichijou/Nichibros.

It certainly did look nice most of the times and it made me wish that if an anime as funny as Soredemo looked like this then it would have been perfect.

While I haven't seen seen Nichibros I really feel that both Azazel-San and Nichijou were infrequently funny although I always have a hard time evaluating comedy. If it makes you laugh but it doesn't make me laugh that doesn't necessairly make it a bad show, afterall. Normall I would talk about how one show had better production values than the other, but Nichijou and Azazel-san were both very well made.

Soredemo was certainly a superior show to both.
Did anyone recently watch katanagatari or is knowledgeable about it?
I just finished it and I have questions

I have seen the whole series, although it's been awhile.
Koike was the chief animation director. It was his job to oversee the animation over the entire show and hold it to as high a level of consistent quality as possible. He did not do a good job of that. That's a fact. The pre-production process should not have lasted as long as it did. While I respect his dedication to the visual style he is reaching for, he lacks the ability to be practical about his character designs and animation in order to produce the best results on a TV schedule. He could indulge his perfectionism in Redline, but if you're going to take seven years to handcraft every project to your satisfaction, you probably shouldn't be working in television.

Miyazaki really learned that the hard way when working on projects like Future Boy Conan and Heidi. Well, I say that, but those shows still look pretty amazing for television projects.
And some Oscar-worthy writing it was.

I am really not looking forward to catching up on this show.

Remember, you don't need to!
2012 sucks, bring on 2013 and Despera!

and lolgothicmade

It's totally gonna happen man, I saw a trailer for it and stuff. It's gonna come out bundled with The Last Guardian.
You'd think your average manga fan would've read enough shit stuff like Death Note and learned how to not be a moron when avoiding the police.
Manga fans just don't take enough of those life lessons to heart, it seems. For shame.
Only 200 pages? I am ashamed of all of you.

I know, we're only on OT III. It's shameful.
And Yamamoto and Koike. Let's be fair!

Unsurprisingly, it's actually everyone's fault.
MGX 10

I'm usually all for NTR but this feels really out of place in this series. I wonder if this series will end up pulling a School Days end on us. As much as a fan I am of School-Daysesque endings, I kinda don't want that to happen as this series has been surprisingly charming considering the whole drool concept of the plot. Oh well, if Tsubaki was to NTR Urabe with someone I'd much rather Oka than the batshit insane crush from junior high.

It's not like
he isn't aware that she's the best girl. His 'mental image' of her is far better than his mental image of 'Urabe'.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ouran High School Host Club 1

Ludicrously ornate private school for the ultra-rich elites? Androgynous boys striking florid poses? An androgynous girl who's the cutest of them all? Roses, roses everywhere? Sure, I'm down.

Some of the comedic tricks used here were pretty neat, such as the continually progressing lightbulb gag. I particularly liked the arrow pointing to the vase throughout the first scene as Haruhi is meeting the Host Club. There's an almost Hitchcockian sense of suspense as you know that vase is going to drop; you're just waiting for that moment to strike.

I had a conversation with duckroll a while back in which he mentioned that all of Bones' works feel like the product of a male-oriented studio culture, but this feels pretty shoujo to me. There's certainly strong resemblances to Oniisama e/Utena/etc. in both content and visuals. This is not a surprise coming from Takuya Igarashi, whose pre-Bones career was spent working on Toei's shoujo shows.
Igarashi also worked on Utena under a pen name!
Jexhius said:
Miyazaki really learned that the hard way when working on projects like Future Boy Conan and Heidi. Well, I say that, but those shows still look pretty amazing for television projects.
At least Miyazaki did his part by drawing all of the layouts on his TV projects and redrawing storyboards not up to his standards. Koike is just a moneywasting hack. :(

Jex

You did that with K-ON!!? That is even worse! I can understand dropping something focused on a continuing and linear plot if you aren't interested on it or the characters themselves, but the K-ON! & K-ON!! series are so relaxing and sweet (with healing properties?) you can even watch while doing other things without investing you too much in them "wasting" the time, like with background music.

I am afraid that I was not healed!
it's okay, we'll always have Noise

We'll always have Western backed tie-ins with Madhouse to save anime.
No Eureka Seven AO today because of soccer??
How long does this soccer delay go for?

This isn't the first time that Eureka Seven has been interrupted by football.

jman2050

You did that with K-ON!!? That is even worse! I can understand dropping something focused on a continuing and linear plot if you aren't interested on it or the characters themselves, but the K-ON! & K-ON!! series are so relaxing and sweet (with healing properties?) you can even watch while doing other things without investing you too much in them "wasting" the time, the same as background music.

Excuse me while I go vomit on something.

Jex

Which Astro Boy? 1980s or 1963, hardcore old-school stuff? Either way, I'm disappointed with NGE ranking so high.

Why is that disappointing? I mean, as disappointing as any popularity list can be.
At least Miyazaki did his part by drawing all of the layouts on his TV projects and redrawing storyboards not up to his standards. Koike is just a moneywasting hack. :(

Yeah, well, the reason that they all looked so good is probably because Miyazaki stayed up all night re-drawing them. I suppose the only price he had to pay was his family.

I just finished reading the seventh Haruhi Suzumiya light novel, The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya. Is there any chance of seeing the continuation of the anime adaption of the series following this story, along with the short stories not animated in the fifth and sixth novels? Seeing as I tend to read the novels with the English dub voices in mind, casting voices to the new "nameless" characters is a bit of a challenge. By nameless characters I mean
the group connected to Sasaki, who has yet to be mentioned

Next I plan to start reading the Welcome to the NHK light novel. From my understanding the themes in the novel are a bit darker than the manga and anime adaptions. If I thoroughly enjoy the novel, I may have to watch the anime to note how the two contrast each other.

Jex

Kingdom 2

there's plenty of awful cg animation in this episode but i'll let someone else gif that stuff as i've suffered enough

I have watched a lot of bad anime in my time but I have never suffered through ugly CG-ness. Godspeed, good sir.
Both Tsuritama and Kids on the Slope were great this week.

I feel like Tsuritama had a slower and less focused start (didn't really pick up until a few episodes in) but the final episodes are really bringing everything together - whereas for me, Kids on the Slope has been consistently great from the beginning, with perhaps one or two lesser episodes mixed throughout

Really great shows

I largely agree with you in your assessment of these two titles. I think that Kid's on the Slope has had far higher highs than Tsuritama but Tsuritama has been the more consistent show.
SHAFT is a good studio if you like fanservice, I suppose.

I really feel like SHAFT are noticeable for things other than their approach to fanservice, but if you'd like to talk specifically about SHAFT fanservice I have some stuff you can read.

I really feel like they work to create far more interesting fan service sequences than other shows, although I feel like the anime adaptation of MGX comes pretty close to capturing the same spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom