• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

It's really not that unnecessary. It's more realistic than the control methods in other mecha shows.
That would be my problem. I keep thinking about its feasibility in the real world as it takes place in an Earth timeline not far from our own. While I know it's not wise to compare anime to the real world in general,
seeing Shinji clutch at his right arm after his unit gets its right arm jammed just comes off as a weird attempt to illicit a greater sense of danger and suspense from the audience. To me though, it's the equivalent of seeing a tank's main gun explode and then having the tank commander clutch at his neck in pain as if they're biologically programmed to feel the same things. It's very weird.
The thing is, I only have Gurren Lagann and Guilty Crown as subjects for comparison and the aforementioned issue was present in Guilty Crown which was one reason I didn't like it, so NGE is probably not my kind of show if that's the case.

Articalys

I felt kinda dirty watching the ending of the episode
gW2EY.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
That would be my problem. I keep thinking about its feasibility in the real world as it takes place in an Earth timeline not far from our own. While I know it's not wise to compare anime to the real world in general,
seeing Shinji clutch at his right arm after his unit gets its right arm jammed just comes off as a weird attempt to illicit a greater sense of danger and suspense from the audience. To me though, it's the equivalent of seeing a tank's main gun explode and then having the tank commander clutch at his neck as if they're biologically programmed to feel the same things. It's very weird.
The thing is, I only have Gurren Lagann and Guilty Crown as subjects for comparison and the aforementioned issue was present in Guilty Crown which was one reason I didn't like it, so NGE is probably not my kind of show if that's the case.

I think you're thinking too hard about it, the idea is the pilot becomes the "brain" of the mech, and so it makes sense that he/she then has a tactile response to what happens to the mech. Really, it is a pretty good system, especially compared to many other mecha shows.

Theonik

It's only a waste of time if you consider it a waste of time. Otherwise, why not?
Precisely, ultimately it comes down to whether you can take advantage of the time invested.

That would definitely fall under incredibly bad.
Point is that the first half of the show had "drop this and drop the person who suggested this in an active volcano" written all over it. The last few episodes made up for it though. In this case, unless one know this before hand or he keeps a too short for making a skip worth it clause, he'd have missed the conclusion which is the compensation for sticking with the show.

Uchip

Banned
seeing Shinji clutch at his right arm after his unit gets its right arm jammed just comes off as a weird attempt to illicit a greater sense of danger and suspense from the audience. To me though, it's the equivalent of seeing a tank's main gun explode and then having the tank commander clutch at his neck in pain as if they're biologically programmed to feel the same things. It's very weird.

Evangelion mecha makes a lot more sense to pilot than say, Gundam, where they make the gundam punch by moving the gearstick (seriously)

fluffy tails, please

not knowing the show, I thought that was her huge ass

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bakemonogatari 9

No wonder this OP was good, it's done by the goddess, Kana Hanazawa

I have come to the conclusion that Hanekawa is very boring and I don't know how I will be able to watch her arc without dozing off.
It's the shortest and most visually interesting arc.

Edit: Whoops, wrong character. Yeah, Hanekawa is pretty dull, but her arc is saved in no thanks to her.

The mind-machine interface, amongst every other aspect of using an EVA correctly, is an important element of the battle scenes and the general themes of the series itself. I don't see anything wrong with it, and calling it "weird" is rather redundant in the context of Evangelion as a whole.

That's the consequence of having a neural connection. If you entirely spoiled the series, then it makes more sense.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket 11

Another solid episode and shows the true power of Midorima. Next episode should be crazy with
Kagami heating up and Kuroko struggling. I expect Kagami to carry the team in the next episode

survivor

Banned
You'll love her arc survivor, trust me on this.

You'll get the best episode in the series once you finish her arc, though, so keep at it!
It's the shortest and most visually interesting arc.

Edit: Whoops, wrong character. Yeah, Hanekawa is pretty dull, but her arc is saved in no thanks to her.
Hmm, well if her arc turns out to be good then that will be fine, but so far none of her interactions with Araragi have been interesting so I hope the dynamics between them change in her arc

Hanekawa has the biggest boobs, she's interesting for that alone.
But she wears glasses which is a big negative

I finally understood what this picture means

fluffy tails, please
Which gun is this?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just keep watching.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9-12

Pretentious, open to interpretation, pseudophilosophical randomness that doesn't follow logic and features random naked girls in space?

Sounds like anime.

But the combination bittersweet (I think), out of nowhere (I think) ending and purposefully vague (I think) teasing epilogue doesn't really detract form the other 11 episodes being great.

Episode 10 hit me right in the feels :(

One of the best anime I've ever watched to completion, coming from someone whose "Anime I've watched to completion" list can be counted on one hand.

I'm not a huge anime fan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I think the secret is that Kuroko no Basketball isn't actually about Basketball but some future cyber sport. that hasn't been invented yet.

It just makes much more sense that way. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Basketball Soldier. Also known as "Gerboos".

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 10

Once again, this episode didn't feature any fighting between Hibiki and Kanade. I'm glad they're starting to mix things up!

Siren going dere dere for Ouji was really funny, surely it's only a few episodes now til she switches sides.
The biggest part of this episode, though, was the appearance of
the mysterious cloaked figure. A rival to the precure, perhaps?

3j7oN.jpg

The smartass loli made another appearance!

Also, this episode had the original Cure Gorilla! Smile did it better though. It was a pretty cute episode overall, even though every preschool class is exactly the same in magical girl shows. seriously, this could have been an episode of Sailor Moon and I wouldn't have noticed but for the artstyle and the fact they yell Precure instead of Sailor Moon.

So, I think the secret is that Kuroko no Basketball isn't actually about Basketball but some future cyber sport. that hasn't been invented yet.

It just makes much more sense that way. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Basketball Soldier. Also known as "Gerboos".

It's a shounen jump sports series. What did you expect?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a shounen jump sports series. What did you expect?
I'm just saying, this makes every single one of the Might Ducks movies (even the one where the US is the only team that's so good that they can have girls on their team) seem authentic.

I suppose this is a sign to never watch Inazuma Eleven though. lol

Oreimo 1

I cannot believe I am watching this series again. All I can say is Kirino shows her support to the industry. If I manage to watch this fully a second time I may just end up finally purchasing this title.

1stStrike

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-5

Why is the fate of the human race in the hands of some teenagers and why are they the prime candidates to pilot these (edit: very expensive-looking at that) machines?

I got about 3 episodes into that anime and quit because of how horrible the protagonist was. I found it to be pretty dreadful.

I'm just saying, this makes every single one of the Might Ducks movies (even the one where the US is the only team that's so good that they can have girls on their team) seem authentic.

I suppose this is a sign to never watch Inazuma Eleven though. lol

I think the ridiculous escalation is part of the appeal of these kinds of shows; no one's watching Kuroko because they want a realistic look at high school basketball. You could make the argument that if you wanted to see that you could just... watch high school basketball.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 11
krFvGh.jpg

everyone is leaning a different way...

JLmGTh.jpg

This ranks right up there with that one awful HeartCatch moment...
That budget showing it's weak points...

Apart from the excruciatingly poor art, this episode was also pretty fun.
They're heavily implying that Cure Muse is Siren, but somehow I think that's too obvious, plus it doesn't really make sense that Siren could become a Precure with such little notice.

hLffkh.jpg

Siren vision

Cure Muse has the strangest design for a precure ever, but I'm sure it's only temporary until she stop with the "I'm no one's ally" and joins up with Hibiki and Kanade.
v3oJkh.jpg

Speaking about the art, I really like Cure Rhythm's design, the outfit and colours are really nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the ridiculous escalation is part of the appeal of these kinds of shows; no one's watching Kuroko because they want a realistic look at high school basketball. You could make the argument that if you wanted to see that you could just... watch high school basketball.
It's not even the escalation. Like with the idiocy in Knight in the Area, they want you to believe that you're watching something set in the "real world" in all respects except for the actual sport. So having characters with hax, whether it's a cloaking shield or a talking heart, just breaks it for me.

I mean, I'm okay with Saki and the ridiculous probability-bending MJ play because there's absolutely no pretence. The characters getting what would be the equivalent of a Royal Flush on the River every single hand is fine with me because it's beyond the pale in terms of its ridiculousness.

These shows just don't lean into it hard enough. By riding the line between a serious show (in Knight in the Area's case, by basically ripping off Adachi) and a cartoon, I find it hard to actually engage with the show on a fundamental level. There's only so much disbelief that I can suspend before I start laughing at the absurdity of it all. In Kuroko's Basketball's case, that was a guy being able to
consistently make full court three point shots

Well, I should say, does Inazuma Eleven even pretend to be set in reality? lol
I suppose I'd be okay with it if it doesn't give a fuck.

1stStrike

Banned
It's not even the escalation. Like with the idiocy in Knight in the Area, they want you to believe that you're watching something set in the "real world" in all respects except for the actual sport. So having characters with hax, whether it's a cloaking shield or a talking heart, just breaks it for me.

I mean, I'm okay with Saki and the ridiculous probability-bending MJ play because there's absolutely no pretence. The characters getting what would be the equivalent of a Royal Flush on the River every single hand is fine with me because it's beyond the pale in terms of its ridiculousness.

These shows just don't lean into it hard enough. By riding the line between a serious show (in Knight in the Area's case, by basically ripping off Adachi) and a cartoon, I find it hard to actually engage with the show on a fundamental level. There's only so much disbelief that I can suspend before I start laughing at the absurdity of it all. In Kuroko's Basketball's case, that was a guy being able to

So, I'm guessing you're not a fan of Prince of Tennis either then? They kill the dinosaurs with a giant Sephiroth-like tennis ball meteor at one point :p

survivor

Banned

From what I watched, Inazuma doesn't even pretend to have realistic soccer or tactical play. It's just the players spamming their special moves over and over again. I think if you are okay with Saki, then Inazuma should be tolerable for you.

I haven't seen Kuroko; does it actually try to be a serious drama in the way Knight in the Area made attempts at? I got the impression it was just "We're going to play basketball with shounen spirit and superpowers!"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I'm guessing you're not a fan of Prince of Tennis either then? They kill the dinosaurs with a giant Sephiroth-like tennis ball meteor at one point :p
I think I watched half an episode of that (it might have been the new sequel actually), but I assume they don't pretend that their special type of tennis could actually be played in real life. :p

I haven't seen Kuroko; does it actually try to be a serious drama in the way Knight in the Area made attempts at? I got the impression it was just "We're going to play basketball with shounen spirit and superpowers!"
The problem with Kuroko is that most of the players are normal, while each of the "mythical" players that the narrator goes on and on about have super hax powers (Given what this latest player's powers are, I can't even imagine what the other people will be like. I'm sure they'd make NBA Jam look like a simulation game).

It's this weird contrast between guys who are just playing regular basketball and then these insane supermen that completely stand out because they're so abnormally good. I mean, fuck Lebron James and high school draft rules - the NBA would be clamouring over these Japanese kids if they existed in real life.

From what I watched, Inazuma doesn't even pretend to have realistic soccer or tactical play. It's just the players spamming their special moves over and over again. I think if you are okay with Saki, then Inazuma should be tolerable for you.
Fair enough. Inazuma Eleven was really an ass-pull. lol

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9-12

Pretentious, open to interpretation, pseudophilosophical randomness that doesn't follow logic and features random naked girls in space?

Sounds like anime.

But the combination bittersweet (I think), out of nowhere (I think) ending and purposefully vague (I think) teasing epilogue doesn't really detract form the other 11 episodes being great.

Episode 10 hit me right in the feels :(

One of the best anime I've ever watched to completion, coming from someone whose "Anime I've watched to completion" list can be counted on one hand.

I'm not a huge anime fan.

I'm re-watching the series with a friend next week. Excited to see the BDs since I watched the show originally when it was airing. I really loved it though -- ending was a bit goofy, but everything leading up to it was amazing, especially episode 9 IMO.

It just sounds like you have a problem with ridiculous concepts being played seriously. Nothing wrong with that since it can definitely be jarring.

Narag

Upotte!! 10

Now that was a fun finish.
Speaking of fun Finnish, it was great to see Sako back and the entire urban combat premise was good stuff. :lol @ guns don't kill people, people kill people though.
So many tails.

Cat girl? Gun? What about a gun that is a cat girl?

Series as a whole was uneven but I was entertainedl. The shock value comes and goes which leaves the show without a well defined identity but it was certainly worth the watch. Here's hoping the crazy returns in some sort of BD episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom