• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I think it has to do with them buying shit like Horizon and Infinite Stratos in droves while fantastic series like Dennou Coil and Mononoke sell like shit and I'm saying that as someone who just spent $50 on Geneon's OOP releases of NieA_7 and countless hundreds on other stuff in the past few weeks alone (although the cost of stuff here in the west is far less than what the equivalent would cost in Japan :< ).

Mononoke was like the third or so best selling noitaminA show ever, iirc.

Clear sign that having sexy weird men in your animes is the best way to drive sales.

e: I keep forgetting about anohana and a few other shows

wonzo

Banned
Mononoke was pretty successful.
Hmm, let me see...

Mononoke 12,879 (5, not including BOXes) (Toei Animation)
2007/10/26 15,150 Vol. 1 "Zashiki Warashi" (Two episodes)
2007/11/22 11,419 Vol. 2 "Umibouzu" (Three episodes)
2007/12/21 12,740 Vol. 3 "Nopperabou" (Two episodes up to Vol. 4)
2008/01/25 12,811 Vol. 4 "Nue"
2008/02/22 12,274 Vol. 5 "Bakeneko" (Three episodes)
2009/04/08 *5,657 Mononoke & Ayakashi~Bakeneko DVD-BOX (Twelve Mononoke episodes and three Bakeneko episodes)
2011/04/06 *3,466 Mononoke & Ayakashi Bakeneko Blu-ray BOX (Twelve Mononoke episodes and three Bakeneko episodes)
Welp, that's what I get for underestimating fujoshi.

edit: Wandering Son would be a much better example
Hourou Musuko *1,007 (6) (AIC Classic)
2011/04/27 *1,056 Vol. 1 (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
05/25 *1,015 Vol. 2
06/22 **,989 Vol. 3
07/27 *1,007 Vol. 4
08/24 **,992 Vol. 5 (including one unaired episode up to Vol. 6)
09/21 **,982 Vol. 6
:(

Jex

Fate/Zero - 24

Kerry is
in Batman's testing room for some reason, shooting out his lights. Where is Morgan Freeman when you need him?

I can only assume Kirei and Kerry went down there in a -SCENE MISSING- moment earlier in the episode.

Jex

fate zero 24

now that i think about it, time magic isn't used that often in anime. I guess you need to have pretty good team to pull it off nice.
It's been done better before:

1804-1543342569.jpg

Hmm, let me see...

Welp, that's what I get for underestimating fujoshi.

edit: Wandering Son would be a much better example

:(
Don't forget Aoi Hana.
*1502 *8 Majutsushi Orphen Revenge
*1392 *6 Taishou Yakyuu Musume
*1388 *7 Starship Operators
*1376 *9 Spiral ~Suiri no Kizuna~
*1044 *9 Nabari no Ou
**860 *6 Hatsukoi Limited
***** *5 Aoi Hana
***** *6 Asatte no Houkou
***** 12 Karin
***** *6 Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo
***** *7 Shigofumi
***** 12 Melody of Oblivion
***** 16 Konpeki no Kantai
;_;

Jex

[Gundam Unicorn] - 5

Giant rainbows in space. Yes, this is very much a Gundam show:

GundamUni5.jpg

So we have arrived at the fifth and not all final part of this on-going OVA series and I literally don't have the faintest clue what's going on. I can't remember who the characters are, how many factions are in play or what everyone wants. Terminology like: Laplaces Box, La+, Newtype Destroyers, Cyber newtypes, the Sleeves, Londo Bell, Garencieres, General Revil and so on means very little to me.

I have kind of had this problem since the first episode, largely as a result of the shows extremely dense 'plot' which was always incessantly convoluted and filled to the brim with specific terminology, but the long gaps between releases have only made this worse. As such the only thing I am really looking forward to is some really well animated and well choreographed mecha fight scenes. Amazingly enough this episode didn't even bring that to the table as the action scenes were confusingly edited and generally difficult to follow.

Also, I can't believe that it's 2012 and we're still getting another variation the Kamile/Four storyline. Seriously?

Wait, I had forgotten that we actually got that last time.

Hunter x Hunter 35

wow that stoked my shounen boner.

So smooth. Reminds me of Cell vs Goku.

So good.

I don't see any correlation with the first half of the eps with the 2nd one though (i assume that stuff will come out later in the fight).

And has Gon even had any kind of hand to hand combat training?

/XX/

Didn't Genichirou Abe do that fight sequence? If you see really great animation in a Shaft show, chances are that it's him.
Yes! He did, like a saving grace. The thing is that the accelerated and loose movements of his work are even more recognizable between the typical animation "blandness" on SHAFT works, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Yeah, and the show glorifies the fuck out of said time period. Hence, not classy.
I think that was more a problem caused by some fans not understanding the underlying viciousness of the series, and consequently appreciating for the "wrong" reasons and even replicating in the more shallow and superficial way what they saw. Maybe false nostalgia was decisive on this.

Exactly. 'ZA WARUDO' has the status of omnipresent meme, so many times referenced it is synonymous of time control on this medium.

Kagami

I suppose that aspect isn't any different than the premise for nuTrek, what with Kirk being a cadet and all. :p
Maybe I should thank you for the show existing at all. Please, buy two copies of every volume!
Heh heh. I certainly wouldn't mind another season. Or more shows like it.

Although I don't want to praise it too much--it's good but it's not as good as, say, Nadesico.
The show as a whole feels cheap.
The space ships aren't cool or interesting looking. That one scene of the Odette opening its sails was the only time in the entire series I was impressed by any of the space visuals. (Gold ship appearance was second behind that I guess.) They've managed to use them effectively to express tense, exciting combat scenes, but I don't exactly feel inspired to buy tapestries or plastic models.
The character design, while not ugly, is a far cry from shows with truly pretty designs like Haganai or Hyouka or Queen's Blade or...whatever shows have pretty men in them (Fate/Zero?). And the character animation and expressiveness isn't anything special either. (Though still better than Shining Hearts, which is my poster-child this season for nice character designs that don't move.)

It's running entirely on the strength of some fun sci-fi details, character personalities, and well-directed tense action scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom