• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Winter Days

So this is some sort of adaptation of some old japanese poem in the form of a collection of animated shorts. There are a bunch of animators (including Isao Takahata and the Country Doctor guy) who each do a short interpreting two verses of the poem

eW20I.png

It's sophisticated stuff.

There is a ton of variety in the visuals. Supposedly this was made in in 2003, but everyone uses really weird forms of animation that aren't exacltly common anymore like cutout animation, claymation

Iov3D.png

early 90's cg
oQPph.png

Live action with some sort of filter over it to unsuccessfully make it look like animation
U7rYF.png

and of course CLAMPimation

I'm not really sure if I liked it overall or not. Most of the shorts were decent (though there were also a lot of really really shitty ones), but they were all just too short to leave any sort of lasting impression.

Q1t8Z.png

This one was probably the best one along with the country doctor dude's

wonzo

Banned
Yeah, and the show glorifies the fuck out of said time period. Hence, not classy.
But the show doesn't glorify the latent misogyny, racism and homophobia of the 1960's.

Winter Days

So this is some sort of adaptation of some old japanese poem in the form of a collection of animated shorts. There are a bunch of animators (including Isao Takahata and the Country Doctor guy) who each do a short interpreting two verses of the poem

There is a ton of variety in the visuals. Supposedly this was made in in 2003, but everyone uses really weird forms of animation that aren't exacltly common anymore like cutout animation, claymation

I'm not really sure if I liked it overall or not. Most of the shorts were decent (though there were also a lot of really really shitty ones), but they were all just too short to leave any sort of lasting impression.
This looks really cool so I'll be sure to check this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Branduil

Hyouka 8

iUxTz1mIe5SYi.jpg

This is so meta.

Mystery people typing in a chat room? I was getting Durarara flashbacks for a minute there.

And so KyoAni once again returns to imitating student films. It's funny how much effort has to be put into deliberately making them as "bad" as the real thing. Like the well-known Haruhi episode, there's plenty of out-of-focus shots, sudden zooms, bad framing, bad acting, etc. However, this time they used a ton of CG tracking shots. Which makes sense, as unlike the Haruhi student film, this is supposed to be imitating more of a documentary style. The bad acting was hilarious in its verisimilitude. I loved the guy who yells all his lines and the girl who always looks nervously away from the camera. The scream was also great.

It was also nice to see the characterization of the cast through the prism of their reactions to the movie. Satoshi talking over the movie, Mayaka getting annoyed over the talking, and Eru completely absorbed in the cheesy mystery. I'm looking forward to where this goes.

iddijSI1Ze4It.jpg

Being Houtarou is [pretending to be]suffering.

Jex

[Space Brothers] - 12

After watching so many others shows that are in a rush to get moving it's always interesting to see how leisurely the pacing in this series. Each episodes uses most of it's runtime to further the development of the characters, rather than the plot itself - although that's still progressing as well.

Branduil

Hyouka Episode 8 Speculation

This is a classic bait and switch scenario imo. The mystery being presented is not the actual mystery. Instead everyone is being played by "The Empress" who is using "The Fool". The AV Club might not even have a writer. This Hongou person might not exist. What is going on here, is that they have a shitty unfinished film, and they're looking for someone to piece together things which might not be intentionally there to begin with and create a cohesive conclusion. What better way than to put Houtarou into a social experiment to make him solve a mystery which doesn't actually exist?

Some other thoughts:

- The first scene is someone apologizing for not being able to finish the movie. The phone belongs to Irisu. That is when she took over this "operation".

- At first she is chatting with the previous person who was in charge of this. That's when the idea of using the Koutenbu come in.

- Next she is chatting with Chitanda. The bait is set.

- The movie itself is actually pretty bad, much like Prometheus. It is poorly written, and the characters telegraph stuff way too loudly to nobody in particular.

- The clues in the movie which Houtarou might or might not use next week: "camera man", "floor plan", "open window".

- I don't really think this mystery has a real solution, instead the real mystery will be why the movie was left incomplete, and why the setting somehow has to be that abandoned place in the Summer. Those factors seem to be the reason why they need help to begin with, and I think there's more to be analysed there.

Hyouka Ep8 Further Theories

araOE.jpg

I'm starting to think everything hinges on this line here. I was thinking about the short film in the episode while at the library today, and it dawned upon me that if as she claims the writer followed all the rules of classic detective fiction... then the most obvious missing component here is the detective himself. The film as it exists only shows the lead up to the crime. In fact, she says the film is supposed to be an hour long, but the clip shown is less than 6 minutes.

What does this mean? I think if we take her literally, then they're actually going to write the Classics Club into the film as the main characters, and they have to "solve" the mystery while also being filmed as the main characters - Houtarou being the detective. Mentioning the specific rules is not an info bite, but rather a requirement them want to reinforce onto them, something which Satoshi is expected to pick up on, as a "human database". She's telling them the sort of detective story they want, and they'll end up acting in it and writing it for them. Lol.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. The characters are being suckered and played to the max based on their known characteristics and usefulness. This is going to be so much more interesting than the normal episodes. Oh boy.

Makes sense, in any case it's obvious that
the Classic Club is being manipulated and exploited. I don't know about Hongou not existing though, Eba's reaction when questioned about her was pretty strong... which raises so more questions. I suspect she may be the real "writer" and Hongou could be a character she invented.

In any case it's clearly fishy because there's no real reason they wouldn't already know who the culprit is.

Accel world 10

yep. dont play mmos with rl folks you know. it's not worth it ;P

man this mmo sounds like shit though.

It's pretty much "We blocked the most efficient way to grind for exp, so the only way to reach max lvl is to grind trash mobs"

:/

duckroll

Makes sense, in any case it's obvious that
the Classic Club is being manipulated and exploited. I don't know about Hongou not existing though, Eba's reaction when questioned about her was pretty strong... which raises so more questions. I suspect she may be the real "writer" and Hongou could be a character she invented.

In any case it's clearly fishy because there's no real reason they wouldn't already know who the culprit is.

Yeah it did occur to me that Hongou could just be a pen name she used. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how Houtarou works his lazy ass out of this one. :)

Kagami

Moretsu Pirates
I really want to love this show, especially because no one bothers with starship based science fiction these days, but for whatever interesting mythology they establish in the series, it gets ruined by lolis or garish costumes or whatever anime crap has to appear in a show like this in order to sell to people who buy plastic discs and merchandise.
Sorry, my bad.

Although really they had me at "high school girl spaceship captain," so the lolis were just a bonus.

Jex

Serial Experiments Lain 1-4

This series felt to be moving too slow after watching the first two episodes, but then after watching episodes three and four I feel the series is moving way too fast? I do not want to spoil myself, but it appears to me that simply watching the complete series once will not lead the average viewer understanding the full plot.

After Lain's
confusing change of personality from the timid girl to outspoken computer genius
, I have no idea what to expect as to how the obvious missing plot sections will be displayed.

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with a series that might make more sense on a second viewing. Then again, maybe you'll have a better grasp of the plot by the end of the show because they an episode that's largely an info-dump.

Milky Holmes end

And suddenly, super powered battles in space! I'm pretty sure this was sakuga as fuck. Definitely not the kind of finale I was expecting even 2 episodes ago. Neat stuff.
The same thing happens next season, I think you'll like the ending that time too...

Overall, this show was amusing. Occasionally crude, great facial expressions, alright humor; yeah, definitely a show I didn't lose my time on. It didn't really have anything to do with being detectives, but ah well.
You're right that it's not much at all about them being detectives; instead, it's about moe comedy. Fortunately, it's often pretty funny comedy.

This may be a weird comparison, but it kind of reminds me of Inukami. Somewhat similar sense of humor.

Guess I'll watch season 2.
Watch the OVA episode first. It's not the best, but it does go in between the two seasons.

Moretsu Pirates

http://i.imgur.com/PlTewl.jpg
Well shit, Marika is smarter than Khan. She'd probably be an even match for Kirk at this point!

I really want to love this show, especially because no one bothers with starship based science fiction these days, but for whatever interesting mythology they establish in the series, it gets ruined by lolis or garish costumes or whatever anime crap has to appear in a show like this in order to sell to people who buy plastic discs and merchandise.

Beggars can't be choosers though. And any starship show with three dimensional space is a show after my own heart I suppose.
I very much agree that the stupidly anime elements of Space Pirates are the worst things about the show for sure, but I don't think it ruins the show as much as you say here; it's still a great show, despite some occasional stupidity from dumb anime elements.

Upotte!! 10

Now that was a fun finish.
Speaking of fun Finnish, it was great to see Sako back and the entire urban combat premise was good stuff. :lol @ guns don't kill people, people kill people though.
So many tails.

Cat girl? Gun? What about a gun that is a cat girl?
Fun? Most of the episode was fun, but then they had to completely ruin it with that completely moronic ending about Mr. Awful Character the Japanese Teacher by not just having him on screen, but having him
resolve the final confrontation in an incredibly stupid manner, after which we hear a ridiculous conversation by some of the teachers about how great it was that they got him here. No, it isn't.

On that note, it was kind of too bad that apparently guns can't kill humans, unless they're being fired by humans or something. Completely stupid, idiotic nonsense, but too bad... that idiot sort of had it coming, with how much stupid stuff he'd pulled over time.

So yeah, the ending was awful, and nearly ruined the whole last episode for me. As a result, even though most of the episode was pretty good, I'd put ep. 10 right down there with ep. 1 and the bad half of ep. 7 as the worst episodes of the series.

Series as a whole was uneven but I was entertainedl. The shock value comes and goes which leaves the show without a well defined identity but it was certainly worth the watch. Here's hoping the crazy returns in some sort of BD episodes.
It was partially good, partially bad. I'd watch another season, if they make it.

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with a series that might make more sense on a second viewing. Then again, maybe you'll have a better grasp of the plot by the end of the show because they an episode that's largely an info-dump.
Yeah, by the end they explain pretty much everything. It's impressive, given how complex it'd gotten before that. Lain's my favorite TV anime series.

wonzo

Banned
I very much agree that the stupidly anime elements of Space Pirates are the worst things about the show for sure, but I don't think it ruins the show as much as you say here; it's still a great show, despite some occasional stupidity from dumb anime elements.
I dunno about that. I find the dumb anime stuff to be a part of the charm of the series.

Space pirates 24

hot space fights. robot spies.

Shit like this was what I expected from this show. Better late than never!

And an eps with no loli princesses? rarely!

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 35

I had to wait two weeks for the fight between Hisoka and Gon and goddamn did this show fucking deliver. Now I just have to wait till next week to see the conclusion. I did miss the music from the old fight though. :(

HxH 2011 35

I had to wait two weeks for the fight between Hisoka and Gon and goddamn did this show fucking deliver. Now I just have to wait till next week to see the conclusion. I did miss the music from the old fight though. :(

...........HOW IS THIS OKAY WHEN ALL THE OTHER STUFF ISN'T!? IIRC, that was even cut out of the original show.

cajunator

Banned
I really dont understand the animosity towards otaku who are the ones that actually buy shit and support the fragile industry.
I mean yeah there is otaku panderbait which sometimes cheapens a show but if it doesnt sell, then more usually doesnt get made in the first place or entire projects dont get greenlighted at all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
cajunator, you shouldn't buy something that's bad just to support an industry.

Hyouka 3

Boring mysteries, silly plot, the worst MC of any of this season's shows that I've watched.... yet another show to be dropped after giving the old 3 episode rule a try.

I really dont understand the animosity towards otaku who are the ones that actually buy shit and support the fragile industry.
I mean yeah there is otaku panderbait which sometimes cheapens a show but if it doesnt sell, then more usually doesnt get made in the first place or entire projects dont get greenlighted at all.
Because some of them buy complete tripe.

Edit: Though really they are just the whipping boys for some of us who are unhappy with the industry's output. Blaming consumers doesn't get you anywhere.

They are the true japanese heroes!

cajunator

Banned
cajunator, you shouldn't buy something that's bad just to support an industry.

Hyouka 3

Boring mysteries, silly plot, the worst MC of any of this season's shows that I've watched.... yet another show to be dropped after giving the old 3 episode rule a try.

Personally I just buy a little bit of everything to support the industry. However, "bad" is a highly subjective measure for any series.

Articalys

Fate/Zero 24

Of all the things that could happen at this point in the story,
introspective mental torture (?) from the Grail itself while inside the Grail
isn't one that I was expecting.

Do we really only have one more episode of this? :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry, my bad.

Although really they had me at "high school girl spaceship captain," so the lolis were just a bonus.
I suppose that aspect isn't any different than the premise for nuTrek, what with Kirk being a cadet and all. :p
Maybe I should thank you for the show existing at all. Please, buy two copies of every volume!

Well, even if they did make the characters normal, there's still the technobabble and such. I'm glad they didn't take 10 minutes to explain the battle plan in this newest episode anyway!

---

Space Brothers 12 brings back the
daddy issues
again. lol
Spoiler cap!

I'm sure it's all innocent, but the fact that Muttan keeps
reminding Serika of her dead father is cute in a almost-weird kind of way.

I almost wonder if that's just not a thing in Japan, or if the mangaka doesn't give a fuck. I suppose it's all
Freudian psychobabble
junk anyway!

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 12

This show does a fantastic job at fleshing out the characters to give them a real sense of depth and purpose. It's great!

I think it has to do with them buying shit like Horizon and Infinite Stratos in droves while fantastic series like Dennou Coil and MononokeWandering Son sell like shit and I'm saying that as someone who just spent $50 on Geneon's OOP releases of NieA_7 and countless hundreds on other stuff in the past few weeks alone (although the cost of stuff here in the west is far less than what the equivalent would cost in Japan :< ).

Thoraxes

Fate/Zero - 24

Kerry is
in Batman's testing room for some reason, shooting out his lights. Where is Morgan Freeman when you need him?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Space Bros 12

This show does a fantastic job at fleshing out the characters to give them a real sense of depth and purpose. It's great!

I think it has to do with them buying shit like Horizon and Infinite Stratos in droves while fantastic series like Dennou Coil and Mononoke sell like shit and I'm saying that as someone who just spent $50 on Geneon's OOP releases of NieA_7 and countless hundreds on other stuff in the past few weeks alone (although the cost of stuff here in the west is far less than what the equivalent would cost in Japan :< ).
Mononoke was pretty successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom