• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

We didn't see anymroe of his death because no-one cares about Kariya.

Well, I'm pretty sure people care about
why Lancelot is crazy and how he died.
The real answer is that they figured out way too late that they had to fit 35 minutes into 23.

Jex

Bakemonogatari 8

Really impressed by
the plot twist regarding Kanbaru's power. Just like snail girl, it added a nice touch and made things more interesting. Also, didn't think there would be a fight scene, I thought Shaft were bunch of lazy bastards. And it was really brutal even though they tried to lessen the violence by adding pretty colours.

I'm still not sure how Senjou's involvement nullifies the contract with the devil and made him go away, only part that confused me so far.

SHAFT, as in their internal Studio animators, didn't animate that sequence so I suppose they still are 'lazy bastards'.

fate zero 24

An eps where I didn't feel disappointed about a little thing (outside of silly cg liquids)?

This better not flop next week, or im be sad :(

now that i think about it, time magic isn't used that often in anime. I guess you need to have pretty good team to pull it off nice.

Jex

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-5

Why is the fate of the human race in the hands of some teenagers and why are they the prime candidates to pilot these (edit: very expensive-looking at that) machines?

The reason is always the same: because of plot.

Actually, that's not quite true, I suppose. Originally pilots were all teenage boys because they were the target demographic for mecha shows. Somewhere down the line it a number shows started to explain that pilots had to be teenagers, which is something very different.
I just went ahead and Googled it. Seems like a hacky way to justify a coming of age story,
though I went ahead and Googled if it was a coming of age story as well and apparently any attempt at that was undone in the end.

You are a bad person, watching anime on wikipedia is always wrong. You don't deserve Evangelion.
Why the hell would you try and spoil yourself?

There are things I shall never understand.
That would be my problem. I keep thinking about its feasibility in the real world as it takes place in an Earth timeline not far from our own. While I know it's not wise to compare anime to the real world in general,
seeing Shinji clutch at his right arm after his unit gets its right arm jammed just comes off as a weird attempt to illicit a greater sense of danger and suspense from the audience. To me though, it's the equivalent of seeing a tank's main gun explode and then having the tank commander clutch at his neck in pain as if they're biologically programmed to feel the same things. It's very weird.
The thing is, I only have Gurren Lagann and Guilty Crown as subjects for comparison and the aforementioned issue was present in Guilty Crown which was one reason I didn't like it, so NGE is probably not my kind of show if that's the case.

The mind-machine interface, amongst every other aspect of using an EVA correctly, is an important element of the battle scenes and the general themes of the series itself. I don't see anything wrong with it, and calling it "weird" is rather redundant in the context of Evangelion as a whole.

I don't think watching a few episodes of a show and then googling the rest is a good start for any discussion.
I got about 3 episodes into that anime and quit because of how horrible the protagonist was. I found it to be pretty dreadful.
I don't got any .gif responses for this. Or do I?

Recentgifs3.gif

Narag

The Golden Laws

Rarely does one get watch something so inspirational especially in matters about the truth of history. I, for one, want to be a better person after watching this, perhaps an awesome person.

wonzo

Banned
THE GOLDEN LAWS

goldenlaws.jpg

The courage to overcome words.

The courage to overcome common sense.

The courage to love GodEl Cantare.

The courage... TO BE AWESOME.

Makoto

I don't got any .gif responses for this. Or do I?
But Shinji is an awful protagonist for those first episodes.
He's thrust into a laughable situation where he's supposed to fight borderline unknown enemies in machine made for war. Meanwhile he falters under the pressure of it all and goes into this self-pity mode that's neither relatable nor sympathetic. It doesn't make me curious as to what lies next in his journey. It's obnoxious and tiresome.

Dresden

He's thrust into a laughable situation where he's supposed to fight borderline unknown enemies in machine made for war. Meanwhile he falters under the pressure of it all and goes into this self-pity mode that's neither relatable nor sympathetic. It doesn't make me curious as to what lies next in his journey. It's obnoxious and tiresome.

He's a depressed, lonely kid who's just been thrust into this awful situation, though.

cajunator

Banned
The Golden Laws

Rarely does one get watch something so inspirational especially in matters about the truth of history. I, for one, want to be a better person after watching this, perhaps an awesome person.

Seriously, where do you guys go to find this obscure anime stuff?

Shinji has mental health issues, a lot of characters in the show do actually. It's what makes him an interesting protagonist.

Jex

Mobile Police Patlabor OVA

This was pretty good, though I was disappointed. I know I still have the movies to watch, but for something that was fairly grounded in reality the characterization was rather weak. There was a bit too much focus on comedy and lighthearted antics, though I did enjoy it very much. Episode 3 in particular was fantastic, and subverted some common tropes associated with that kind of story. Thinking about it, the whole series was lighthearted, especially compared to Angel's Egg and the Ghost in the Shell movies. Perhaps that is why I was so disappointed. I was very excited when
things started to get more serious during episode 5, the buildup was great. Unfortunately, episode 6 ended up being a waste. ANN says that Ichiro Itano actually directed it, so perhaps that explains why it didn't go the way I wanted. Everything was just resolved way too quickly and easily, and the villain was poorly developed.
The action throughout the series left a lot to be desired too, there was definitely something lacking. The lack of any real sense of danger was likely to blame.

Onward to the movies!
Most of the Patlabor franchise is a comedy, it's only really the movies (and certain arcs of the series) that are completely serious.

Happy Science is a pretty new cult/religion in Japan. Their anime movie productions are also very recent. In fact, they have a new one opening in Japanese cinemas this Fall: The Mystical Laws.
Wikipedia said:
Okawa claims to channel the spirits of Muhammad, Christ, Buddha and Confucius and claims to be the incarnation of the supreme spiritual being called El Cantare.
Wow, I have to watch this.
Most of the Patlabor franchise is a comedy, it's only really the movies (and certain arcs of the series) that are completely serious.
I look forward to the movies, then.

Jex

[MGX] - 11

Maybe they should have just ended this series after episode nine. This arc is rather, er stupid.

Even for anime!

Articalys

Mysterious Girlfriend X 11

"
Right now, this blindfold is the only thing stopping me from seeing my girlfriend and old crush completely naked!
"
Kind of difficult to get a better line of dialogue than that, you have to admit.

I think this is about as weird as the show gets. Hopefully they're heading for an anime-original ending with the last two episodes...

Narag

Urda

Bad start and awful dub aside, this 5 webisode series from 2003 grew on me as I watched it. Each episode seemed better executed than the last as it progressed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Golden Laws:

DRAGON DRAGON, ROCK THE DRAGON, HAPPY SCIENCE Z
DRAGON DRAGON, ROCK THE DRAGON, BOW TO HERMEEEEEESSSSSSS

Urda:

The fact that this was mostly made by one person just can't make up for how ugly and boring this is. Only watch if you're a bad CG fetishist like wonzo or love horrible fake German accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom