• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen's Blade S2 3
QRJVG.png

I don't know, I think I'd rather be a servant to a spoiled princess than being tentacle raped on a daily basis, but that's just me.
So Elina and Nyx continue their fight. Apparently to beat Nyx, all you have to do is insult her a bunch. And did she just pee herself? Yep she did. Elina walks away the victor, but their is still like half of the episode left so they fill it with nonsense talking between the different characters and just set up for the next episode. Boring. Well the next episode should be good since it's a 2-on-2 battle between the assassins and the tree-hugging elves.
PEXiz.png

Oh, like that movie.

I would have to say that the action animation is indeed all it has going for it. Bear in mind that it's CG (at least I think it's CG) so it's all about the smoothness and slickness of the action sequences rather than, say, the inventiveness of something like Korra (if we're going to be all westaboo (America-kabure?) in here).

The first episode holds promise because it's visually and aurally striking and mostly focuses on Beck (the protagonist), and the narrative is constructed in a mildly ambitious way for a cartoon. The second episode (which put me off the show) tries to make the audience care about the "good" supporting characters, who are poorly written and uninteresting - although there's still some half-decent action animation, it's nothing you haven't seen in either of the films.

The Tron franchise has always been about the mood rather than the plot, and although it's still nice to look at I just found it a bit dull. This coming from someone who likes Witch Hunter Robin...

Thanks for your comments; I suppose I'll just have to see how engaging it ends up being for me. I actually liked Witch Hunter Robin as well, though it's been years since I've seen it, so I don't know how I'd feel about it now.

cajunator

Banned
daddydayxyd47.jpg

Happy Father's Day!

;_;

Catblue Dynamite

So after watching Urda last night and learning a little more about Romanov Higa and how much of his work is apparently a result of one man, I decided to check out a bit more of his work. CR came through as this was available on their site so I made some time to sit down with this. I had little idea what to expect aside from CG and apparently a catgirl and, in turn, received a nice surprise.

This was something of a love letter to 70s exploitation films. The story was nothing special but the setting was great and the characters had a particular charm to them even if they were fairly thin. The highlight of this though is how well shot it was, how much was done to emulate a real camera, and the wonderful choreography in the action sequences. This helped me get over the biggest negative: the actual quality of the CG. While well animated for the most part, the CG isn't that good and it was much like watching a videogame cutscene albeit a well directed one. Still, it was a fun watch and I'm curious what Higa could do with a higher budget. Alas, the screengrabs aren't the best due to the streaming 480p source from CR.

Fun shots that the show seemed to get away from later on.

Also a catgirl just because.

This show wouldnt have been a surprise if you guys had just listened to me when I was raving about it. Its one of my favorites. That there isnt more of this is one of the biggest crimes of anime.

sleepykyo

Queen's Blade S2 3

So Elina and Nyx continue their fight. Apparently to beat Nyx, all you have to do is insult her a bunch. And did she just pee herself? Yep she did. Elina walks away the victor, but their is still like half of the episode left so they fill it with nonsense talking between the different characters and just set up for the next episode. Boring. Well the next episode should be good since it's a 2-on-2 battle between the assassins and the tree-hugging elves.

Damn, I miss S2 now. In exchange for a better lead, the rest of the cast went downhill.

Jex

I do have this show on my agenda. If I may ask some questions: In what way would you say the second and third episodes are problematic? Do you think they're still worth watching? Is this the sort of show where the action animation is all it has going for it?

What I enjoyed about the first episode was simply that it was extremely well crafted in just about every area: it looked good, the cinematography and transitions were created, it had a great atmosphere and the whole project was extremely stylish. Yet, there wasn't really anything in terms of plot or character that you could or would want to extend out to, say, a whole series. It was cool as a one off, but you'd presumably want something a little meatier for a real series.

Episodes two and three aren't as well made as the first episode and they attempt to make us interested in boring, badly written characters. It's not really what I am looking for.

Jex

Future Boy Conan 4

This episode had Jimsy getting drunk, threatening kids with hanging, spanking, child labour and beating up kids.

I liked Dyce and his crew, they are very good comedic villains.

Rampant child abuse was an important part of classic anime series and movies.

Sankarea OVA 01
Something like that.
So, more flashbacks for the sake of flashbacks. Sure, there were Rea boobs, drunken mothers and more creepy fathers. There was something about the unknown mother of Meru and Chihiro but this was basically a boring episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sankarea OVA 01

So, more flashbacks for the sake of flashbacks. Sure, there were Rea boobs, drunken mothers and more creepy fathers. There was something about the unknown mother of Meru and Chihiro but this was basically a boring episode.

Wow. I really wish that I could show even the least bit of surprise at this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVAs

2MiTvl.png

Big Damn Heroes, etc.

Finally got around to this thing. Story-wise, they made a good decision to ditch the shitty VC2 stuff and just go back to the well by retelling the VC1 story from a different perspective. Of course, all it does is make me sad that the game itself will never be brought over here (and in a year when the import guys are dumping three PSP SRPGs into the market, it seems doubly stupid that Sega is just letting the franchise die).

Still, as I probably said when VC3 was announced whenever ago, this really was another take on the Bad Company concept.
YYP8Jl.png

Their unit emblem isn't subtle at all. lol

What surprised me was that their antagonists are also a bunch of elite rejects - so much so that it almost calls into question some of the events that happen in VC1. Or at the very least, it complicates the simple story of the first game and gives that story a lot more depth.

I did forget how stupid the character designers were though.
AVwYEl.jpg

Every girl is basically a boob monster and the team medic wears a nurses' cap because why not.

I still don't get how attaching a giant sword to the bottom of grenade launcher/SAW works either, but anime.
JX1yDl.jpg

Oh, and of course they couldn't avoid some Rosie servisu.
NRNqul.jpg

Ah well, if this is the send off to the Valkyria Chronicles franchise... at least it went out on a good note. At the very least, the OVA makes up for the anime adaptation of the first game!

Jex

[Gintama] - That other Shinsengumi arc with the group who rival the Shinsengumi

I kept thinking that this guys face:

gintamagotoh.png

Looks a lot Gotoh from Patlabor:

gotoh_does_alfred_e_neumann.jpg

Anyway, I wonder how many times Gintama can out a fresh coat of paint of an old idea and still make it work? I am still enjoying the show and it's done very well to last so long, but still, everything has it's natural limit. Gintama has lasted longer than a lot of other shows because it's setting allows it to tell any kind of story. It can out live a serious show because it can do comedy, it can out live every comedy because it can also tell serious stories.

They're very slowly hinting at some kind of gathering of baddie characters as well, but that doesn't really mean much. It could take years to build up to anything.

[Gintama] - That other Shinsengumi arc with the group who rival the Shinsengumi

I kept thinking that this guys face:

gintamagotoh.png

Looks a lot Gotoh from Patlabor:

gotoh_does_alfred_e_neumann.jpg

Anyway, I wonder how many times Gintama can out a fresh coat of paint of an old idea and still make it work? I am still enjoying the show and it's done very well to last so long, but still, everything has it's natural limit. Gintama has lasted longer than a lot of other shows because it's setting allows it to tell any kind of story. It can out live a serious show because it can do comedy, it can out live every comedy because it can also tell serious stories.

They're very slowly hinting at some kind of gathering of baddie characters as well, but that doesn't really mean much. It could take years to build up to anything.

You're almost done. Remember to watch the preview for the 2nd to last episode.

Gundam Age 36

Kio for the worst pilot, confirmed.
Losing and being caught and captured is something I didn't think theyd try to go for but they did. How can he be caught in a soupped up Gundam?! Much of the episode I was just thinking why wont they show Kio or what he is doing, considering its been at least two to three days, in universe time, during the episode. He looked scared and I kind of felt bad for him but, well, one reaps what they sow.

Am at least curious what goes on with the Vegans so the captured actually opened up doors for world building and hopefully more time with Zehearto. Asemu being a part of the plot is good too with this setup, enough Flit for a bit

Kazzy

Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVAs

Of course, all it does is make me sad that the game itself will never be brought over here (and in a year when the import guys are dumping three PSP SRPGs into the market, it seems doubly stupid that Sega is just letting the franchise die).

Pretty much why I'll probably avoid this. Never forget.

Instro

MGX 11

Well that worked out in a pretty unexpected way. I was expecting something a little more stupid or generic given the setup.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At least we can probably take solace in the fact that there will never be a Valkyria Chronicles 4 to torture us further.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey: at least they didn't end the franchise on Valkyria Chronicles 2. That would have just been insulting.

I dunno, I kind of think that "we fixed everything that made VC2 so shitty but YOU DON'T GET THIS ONE NYAH NYAH" is pretty much the most insulting note that the franchise could go out on!

I'm kind of gratified that telling the western VC fanbase to fuck off killed the franchise, even if it cost us VC3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Should've been a mobile game.
Exclusive to cell phones!

I dunno, I kind of think that "we fixed everything that made VC2 so shitty but YOU DON'T GET THIS ONE NYAH NYAH" is pretty much the most insulting note that the franchise could go out on!

I'm kind of gratified that telling the western VC fanbase to fuck off killed the franchise, even if it cost us VC3.
I don't know if NISA somehow fucked up Sakura Wars, but the fact that they're unwilling to deal with the companies that import niche titles is probably the shittiest part of this mess.

Knowing Sega, they'll probably not release Yakuza 5 here to troll me even further.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know if NISA somehow fucked up Sakura Wars, but the fact that they're unwilling to deal with the companies that import niche titles is probably the shittiest part of this mess.

Knowing Sega, they'll probably not release Yakuza 5 here to troll me even further.

Supposedly Sega was willing to deal on Sakura Wars, but SCEA blocked the localization of Sakura Wars 1+2 PSP because of their dumbshit rule banning straight ports of games from older systems. It's the same reason that Atlus never released Princess Crown PSP in the US and possibly why we never got Suikoden 1+2 PSP, even though that's probably just Konami being Konami.

I think it's kind of a given that Yakuza 5 won't get a localization at this point. Sega outright stated that if it's not Sonic, Football Manager, Aliens, or Total War, they're no longer willing to release it in the west anymore.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 12

This show isn't just charming, it is completely ADORABLE.
what this show lacks for in production values, it more than makes up for with heart.
I hope this show goes on for a long long time because I'll watch every single episode of it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Space Brothers 12

This show isn't just charming, it is completely ADORABLE.
what this show lacks for in production values, it more than makes up for with heart.
I hope this show goes on for a long long time because I'll watch every single episode of it.

supposed to be 50 episodes or so, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom