• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
supposed to be 50 episodes or so, I think.

50 planned doesn't mean there won't be more. Fairy Tail was supposed to only be around 50 as well, but it did so well that it's now in the 130s and getting a movie this summer.

I'm not sure what the ratings for Space Bros will have to be for that to happen, but it's doing very well.

Dresden

Hyouka - 04

This really is the best looking tv anime so far this year. I'd forgotten how gorgeous it could be.

dfJzql.jpg

Man, look at that shit.

I wish that the cycling bits had gone on longer, or perhaps, that could have been the entire episode and I would have been fine with it. The last notable cycling sequence I can think of in anime is the third episode of Tatami Galaxy, and the only conclusion that can thus be derived from this is that the world needs more shows about cycling and/or doping.

Lots of neat, creative animation to decorate the extrapolations, as usual, although they seemed more pertinent (perhaps due to the subject they discussed) this time around. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for thick bold inkblobs doing inky things.

Otherwise it's still a fucking bore.

Articalys

Who's your favorite tsundere couple?
http://www.internationalsaimoe.com/voting/

-----------------------------

Alternately, it's time for more mecha voting; round 2 of the Earth Side bracket seems to have slipped us by, but briefly, those results were:

Gurren Lagann vs Big O (67.86% vs 32.14%)
Ingram vs Zeta Gundam (37.38% vs 62.62%)
Shin Getter Robo vs Nirvash Type 0 (42.57% vs 57.43%)
VF-25 Messiah vs Mazinkaiser SKL (54.29% vs 45.71%)

So happy that Nirvash advanced.

Voting for round 2 Colonies Side is open until tomorrow evening.

WD-M01 Turn A Gundam (Turn A Gundam) vs. Black Getter (Getter Robo: Apocalypse)

MS-07B Gouf Custom (Gundam: The 08th MS Team) vs. RX-78-GP03 Dendrobium (Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)

Gunbuster (Top wo Nerai! Gunbuster) vs. Gao Gai Gar (The King of Braves Gao Gai Gar)

Escaflowne (Tenkuu no Escaflowne) vs NZ-666 Kshatriya (Gundam Unicorn)

Dresden

WD-M01 Turn A Gundam (Turn A Gundam) vs. Black Getter (Getter Robo: Apocalypse)

MS-07B Gouf Custom (Gundam: The 08th MS Team) vs. RX-78-GP03 Dendrobium (Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)

Gunbuster (Top wo Nerai! Gunbuster) vs. Gao Gai Gar (The King of Braves Gao Gai Gar)

Escaflowne (Tenkuu no Escaflowne) vs NZ-666 Kshatriya (Gundam Unicorn)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Supposedly Sega was willing to deal on Sakura Wars, but SCEA blocked the localization of Sakura Wars 1+2 PSP because of their dumbshit rule banning straight ports of games from older systems. It's the same reason that Atlus never released Princess Crown PSP in the US and possibly why we never got Suikoden 1+2 PSP, even though that's probably just Konami being Konami.

I think it's kind of a given that Yakuza 5 won't get a localization at this point. Sega outright stated that if it's not Sonic, Football Manager, Aliens, or Total War, they're no longer willing to release it in the west anymore.
Well, I can't remember if it was Xseed or Aksys, but a dude from one of the companies pretty much said Sega is absolutely not interested in licensing their titles to a US company for localization. It's not like VC3 isn't a PSP game - if Growlanser and whatever are getting released, there's no reason why VC3 can't either. It's just Sega being obstinate for unknown - nee, Japanese - reasons.

...don't even think of such things!
:(
I'm assuming Yakuza of the Dead bombed hard for them, since it was apparently being sold for 30 bucks a month after it came out. Binary Domain failing probably didn't help either... so I'm expecting that I'll have to import Y5 and hope The Patrick writes a guide for it.

cajunator

Banned
voting over and over again for the same characters in a dozen rounds is rather boring.
Whats the point of all of it?
Can somebody explain the process they use to determine the "winner"?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Mahou Poni Twilight-Chan 9

I'm really up to 9 already?

Hey folks, discrimination is bad! Also apparently the entirety of Ponyville except Appleboom and Twilight are inherently racist. :(

Applebloom rocks. ^^

These episodes would be better without the moral blatantly wrapped up in the letters to the Princess at the end of each episode.

Articalys

voting over and over again for the same characters in a dozen rounds is rather boring.
Eh, I'll probably stop posting about it after this round is over; I'll just leave a reminder for people to bookmark the site on their own if they want to continue participating.
ISML's round-robin format is a bit boring compared to J-Saimoe's massive knockout tournament.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I can't remember if it was Xseed or Aksys, but a dude from one of the companies pretty much said Sega is absolutely not interested in licensing their titles to a US company for localization. It's not like VC3 isn't a PSP game - if Growlanser and whatever are getting released, there's no reason why VC3 can't either. It's just Sega being obstinate for unknown - nee, Japanese - reasons.

Gaijin company cannot possibry handle our IPs with the honor and respect they deserve.

Sounds like Nintendo, Sega, Scamco, Capcpom, Konami, Square-Enix, and virtually all other major players in the Japanese games industry in the past few years. The current localization dry spell is fucking awful.

It's like the regular season and after a while the top voted girls go to the playoffs and vote their way to the world series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gaijin company cannot possibry handle our IPs with the honor and respect they deserve.

Sounds like Nintendo, Sega, Scamco, Capcpom, Konami, Square-Enix, and virtually all other major players in the Japanese games industry in the past few years. The current localization dry spell is fucking awful.
That's why I wonder if the NISA deal was bad for them.

Of course, Nintendo gave xseed The Last Story, so... Japan.

Kazzy

:(
I'm assuming Yakuza of the Dead bombed hard for them, since it was apparently being sold for 30 bucks a month after it came out. Binary Domain failing probably didn't help either... so I'm expecting that I'll have to import Y5 and hope The Patrick writes a guide for it.

I would hope that they would have the foresight to realize that the sales of a spin-off, of what is already a niche series outside of Japan would be less than stellar. It honestly smacks of another VC debacle, but I can hardly blame them if they are forced to back their sure-fire franchises.

If there was a time to give the Yakuza series a little more of a push, it would be now, especially with all the improvements they are supposedly making to the tired formula.

Ah well, I'll probably be over there at that point anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would hope that they would have the foresight to realize that the sales of a spin-off, of what is already a niche series outside of Japan would be less than stellar. It honestly smacks of another VC debacle, but I can hardly blame them if they are forced to back their sure-fire franchises.

If there was a time to give the Yakuza series a little more of a push, it would be now, especially with all the improvements they are supposedly making to the tired formula.

Ah well, I'll probably be over there at that point anyway.

Yeah, Y5 seems like a reboot of sorts. New engine and new cities.

I just remember someone pointing out that while Sega was quick to point out "high" (above 100k) sales for Y3, they were silent for Y4 and Of the Dead. So I'm just assuming that the sales weren't anything to write home about.

I dunno, if the compromise is that they sell it digitally on PSN, I'm perfectly happy with that. I just hope that's an option.

Kazzy

I just remember someone pointing out that while Sega was quick to point out "high" (above 100k) sales for Y3, they were silent for Y4 and Of the Dead. So I'm just assuming that the sales weren't anything to write home about.

What a shame it would be if Y3 was the one game that burned people.

It was my first Yakuza game, but honestly, it starts horrendously for anyone not in the loop.

Hyouka 9
tumblr_m5s9ycfIUW1qhw0tbo1_500.gif

Chitanda was even more annoying than before :/ Anyway, liked how they did it with everyone's theories. Houtarou's reactions to them were nice, as well as input from Satoshi, and even Ibara.

Instro

Alternately, it's time for more mecha voting; round 2 of the Earth Side bracket seems to have slipped us by, but briefly, those results were:

Gurren Lagann vs Big O (67.86% vs 32.14%)
Ingram vs Zeta Gundam (37.38% vs 62.62%)
Shin Getter Robo vs Nirvash Type 0 (42.57% vs 57.43%)
VF-25 Messiah vs Mazinkaiser SKL (54.29% vs 45.71%)

Big O lost? Booooooo

By the way, why do short (13 episode) anime always seem to have the best ops? It seems like longer series usually have shittier quality ops.

Id have to disagree. Many of the Bleach OPs way later in the series were pretty amazing, like Velonica, Ranbu no Melody, Harukaze, Shojo S, and even early on like D-Technolife, Naruto as well with in Shippuden, Lovers, and One Piece with Kaze wa sagashite (its best OP), One Day, and Fight Together.

I think these are way memorable than what weve been getting in short anime for the past few seasons, with some exceptions.

BluWacky

I have this show based on a DS game called Sands of Destruction. That should be an interesting watch.

It won't be. Neither the game, nor the anime, are really very good at all.

I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy in it - you normally do, after all! - but it's not going to be something you revisit.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 9

I wonder if there was a point to having Chitanda
eat all the chocolate and get drunk.
Anyway, I really enjoyed all the theories presented and Houtarou's thoughts on them.

Another odd thing was Chitanda
not liking mystery books. For someone who is always curious, I find it weird that she doesn't read mystery books

Theonik

HeartCatch Precure 15
iUZ3MDRlwA7Qa.png

Looks familiar
Maaaaaybe. With a bit of Kumojacky thrown in for good measure.
I really really liked this episode, from class president antics to the
class president's grandfather being totally cool
the fight this time also had a quite awesome twist in that it first convinces you that it's the lamest fight yet but then does something completely different. Also
the class president finally joins the fashion club :D

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch Precure 15

I really really liked this episode, from class president antics to the
class president's grandfather being totally cool
the fight this time also had a quite awesome twist in that it first convinces you that it's the lamest fight yet but then does something completely different. Also
the class president finally joins the fashion club :D

the pres is a cool character, Tsubomi never quite gets over the fact she wasn't a boy. :p

Defuser

Hyouka 9

I wonder if there was a point to having Chitanda
eat all the chocolate and get drunk.
Anyway, I really enjoyed all the theories presented and Houtarou's thoughts on them.

Another odd thing was Chitanda
not liking mystery books. For someone who is always curious, I find it weird that she doesn't read mystery books

She's probably enjoys a real life situation more than something in a book.

Or she just like to see more Houtarou's annoying expressions :
"Ohh a mystery! Time to bug the fuck of oreki to see what kind of expression he'll make!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom